Hotel

Good
2042 reviews
Good

A very memorable vacation.

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Sorry I am late in writing my review, but better late than never! My family and I stayed at La Estancia during August,2004. From the moment we entered the lobby, we knew we were going to enjoy our stay. That is exactly what we did! We had a one bedroom villa on the 5th floor, with a breath taking view of El Arco and Medano Beach. The reception personel were very polite as well as the entire staff. We had inquired as to the fractional ownership and requested some material. We did not purchase anything ,but we were not hasseled into commiting to a purchase. The room was equipped with everything you might need, inside and out. The kitchen was fully stocked w/utensils for cooking and dining in, we ate breakfast in our room, there is also a fully stocked supermarket on site, which offers some discounts on certain days. On the terrace there is a sink and mini-fridge, as well as the beautiful view, as mentioned above. I had no complaints with the bed, but the sofa bed in the living room,the children slept there, was very uncomfortable.While we were there, the staff was taking inventory on the furnishings, they were going to replace some pieces, this particular villa was approx 5 yrs old. The pool was very relaxing and the food was very good, not alot of variety, but good. We would have lunch either in the pool or in the dry eating area. The staff was very friendly. The gym is close by and had enough equipment for a decent work-out,by my standards, it was not too small. There is a small plaza, where the supermarket is, there is also a small internet cafe, movie rental, laundry facility, our room had a washer/dryer, and jewlery store. We ate dinner once in La Estancia, La Casona is the name of it, it was a pleasant dinner with live entertainment, a piano player. The beach is unswimmable, but you can walk up to La Oficina, restaurant on the beach, and have a better swim up in that area. La Oficina served good food too I was a little intimidated in reading reviews on Los Cabos,due to the overwhelming amount of pushy time-sharing people,but I was not approached once by them, even though I did see them as I exited customs, Maybe because I acted as if I knew where I was going! Only one thing, if you have young children, I have a 10 and 11 yr old, make sure to bring alot of entertainment for them, my kids got bored and spent a whole day in the room, watching TV. I would say all in all this is somewhere I would return to. The facilities are kept up, the rooms were tastefully decorated, the staff was very polite, the food was very good, the pool and pool area were very clean and best of all the we had a memorable time here."

• Travel date: 5th October 2004

Peaceful

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel 9/17/04 - 9/21/04. I won this trip to Cabo through my company, my boss, two coworkers and their families all stayed here together. I did not pay a dime for this trip so I can not comment as to the value of the hotel, but I can share my experience. The hotel was nearly vacant, I don’t think we ever saw more than 10 people all weekend besides our group. Our rooms were nice. We stayed in the lock off portion with two queen beds. My husband who does construction was impressed with the quality of the hotel, and the travertine tile which was throughout the resort. I found the staff to be very friendly. We spent a lot of time at the bar in the pool, all the wait staff was nice and accommodating. The staff in the restaurant was nice as well, although we never dined in the restaurant. We did have breakfast by the pool a few times, and it was always very nice. Some of the concierge could be trained a bit better, they definitely do not go out of their way for you. There was one exceptions but I did not remember his name. The housekeeping called us on the phone every day to see if we wanted to have our rooms cleaned, we could have avoided that by putting our phones on private. It took us a couple of days to realize that the string which hangs from the inside of the door, is your privacy card, so housekeeping attempted coming in the first morning. Room service was not all that great. We ordered breakfast (which was expensive if you ask me, Im glad I wasn’t paying for it, the Fitness breakfast was $15.00 US dollars) they told us it would be up in 20 minutes, it was more like 40. We ordered the Romantic dinner one night which was to be a surf and turf dinner for two. Man was that wor! First it took me about 5 minutes just to place the order and then we had about 4 phone calls to confirm the order, and then they even came up to our room to take our menu and information book (which they never returned). Finally about an hour later we got our dinner. They sent it up on one plate with two sets of silverware no extra plate or anything, maybe that was what made it romantic? The steak was very good, but the fish was not good at all, and our lobster which they were out of was replaced with three tiny shrimps. On Monday morning we awoke to major construction work at 8:00am. My boss said that he was told construction would not start until 4:00 in the afternoon........I wish. The beds are NOT COMFY at all! They are very hard, and covered with crinkly plastic sheets under the bedding. We put one of our robes in the hamper one day by mistake, and even after asking 4 times it was never replaced. As I said we did not pay for this hotel, but if I was researching one I would keep away from the room service, and beware of the beds, and construction. If I were to go back to Cabo, I would look for a less expensive hotel closer to downtown, but Im not that fancy either, Im happy with the bear minimums. My idea of a nice (enough) hotel in the states is a Super 8. If Im looking to celebrate a special occasion, Ill take a 4 star, like the Sea Venture in Pismo Beach, Ca."

• Travel date: 4th October 2004

Beautiful Resort

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"We recently returned from a fabulous stay at Villa La Estancia. We have been travelling to Cabo since 1994 and La Estancia is by far the best. Location, property, tastefully decorated suites and friendly staff made our stay a memorable one."

• Travel date: 20th September 2004

Didn't even get a chance to tour the hotel

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"I have not stayed at the Villa la Estancia, but my first impression was terrible. I have been to Cabo 6 times and each time stayed at the Villa del Palmar. We had been out parasailing and on our way back we decided to see what the Estancia looked like to no avail. The staff would not even let us look at the pool area. They were very rude! After 15 years in the travel business I decided that it wouldn't be worth selling if I could not see what the place was all about. My goodness... at least the pool area! The Villa del Palmar is not stuffy like the place next door. Final result... Go back to the VDP and enjoy the activities and beauty. P.S. In Nov. '03 we tried to stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Resort and Spa which was a beautiful property. We went into town twice in one day which was $80.00 for the two trips. Save your peso's and stay closer to town if you enjoy the nightlife!"

• Travel date: 13th September 2004

Wonderful Resort in a Great Location

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We have stayed at Villa La Estancia many times and have found it to be a wonderful experience. Just to clarify a couple of points on the recent very negative review. These are 2 and 3 bedroom privately owned condos with resort services. It is possible to rent what is considered a hotel room, but this is actually the second bedroom of a 2 bedroom Villa. They all have two queen beds. They probably don't have the things that were mentioned as part of a hotel room because they are generally used as a "guest room." The other side of the two bedroom Villa, called a 1 Bedroom Suite, has a king bed plus a living room, dining room, full kitchen, large master bath, second full bath and large terrace. I can understand the disappointment, but it is important to clarify what you are getting when you book a property. For example, no matter how many requests you send, you will not get a Deluxe Suite with a king bed (they don't exist). Regarding the issue of a swimming beach, Medano Beach in front of Villa La Estancia is generally swimmable. There have been storms near Cabo for the past several weeks which have made swimming difficult everywhere. Some friends who were there at the same time as the previous reviewer said that it was the same situation further up the beach toward town. I was sorry to hear about the service issues. In general, we've found the service to be quite good. Hopefully this was just a temporary situation."

• Travel date: 13th September 2004

there is nothing 5 star about this place

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"My husband and I just arrived back this morning(9/9/04) from Villa La Estancia, and I could not wait to go to the computer to write a review about this place. We are both well traveled, and would have to rate this place as one of the worst we have ever stayed in so far. I was extremely dissapointed with the whole experience there given that I had read all the reviews and most were very positive. This was our honeymoon trip, and I booked it way in advance so that we could get a nice room. I specifically wrote the hotel via email to let them know that I really wanted this to be a special stay. From the moment we walked in through the lobby, to the moment we left, we were treated like they were doing us a favor and we had not paid good money to stay there. The staff is extremely cold, rude and impersonal, not at all typical or a good representation of the mexican culture which is very friendly and service oriented. Esteban, the main man at the concierge desk, needs some serious training on how to speak to and deal with guests. The guy always has a face as if he hates life and all the people in this world. He is rude and tacky, lacking a lot of finesse for being the first person to greet you when you walk into the hotel lobby. I definitely have to agree with the other negative reviews when they say that they treat potential vacation ownership buyers very different than the hotel guests. Maybe if we acted like total snobs, yelling and catching tantrums, things would have been different. But my husband and I are very low key and peaceful people, we chose to make our own vacation a blast outside of the hotel, and opted to pay 2 nights somewhere else to get a little service. Our room was the studio, not at all luxurious. The only thing that was luxurious about it was its marble floors. The rest, including the furniture, was very plain and cheap. The bed was horrible!!! We woke up daily with back pains from the super hard mattresses. We got a room with two beds, on our honeymoon, despite the repeated requests for a room with a king size bed months in advance. The room did not have the basic items found even at the cheapest motels, such as iron and board, hairdryer, coffee maker. We used the neutrogena shampoos and conditioneer left at the bathroom the first day and finished them since they were so tiny, and they were never ever replenished during our 5 day stay. The linens, bed sheets, remain the same during your stay, not changed daily, or at least every other day like in most luxury hotels. We turned off the air conditioner the first night we got there and opened the terrace to get the fresh breeze frm the sea, to awake to major flooding in the room. When we brought this up to Esteban's attention, his reply was that it rained and the water from outside, bypassed the huge covered terrace and made it somehow so as to flood the entire room including the bathroom at the other extreme. Never mind the fact that we pointed out to him that the outside terrace was completely dry, and the flooding was inside the unit alone. When we asked for a change of room or upgrade, his reply was well you only paid X dollars for your room, so I cannot upgrade/switch your room without charging double. My husband and I could not believe how this gentlemen expressed himself in front of the hotel guests. The hotel was empty, many rooms available, including the one right next to ours, but we had to pay double for their inconvenience, not ours. He did not try at all to accomodate us and was bothered by our request. This hotel is seriously in need of fine dining. The restaurants are very basic, food is comparable to Fridays, etc., nothing fancy in presentation or taste. The restaurant staff is also very lacking. There are lot of waitors, so many that I asked four different ones to get a glass of water to drink some headache pills, and none came. Finally, my husband had to call the manager to get some action. I paid $10 for coffee in the morning, and $5 to get a pot of hot water for tea. That is not a problem if I did not have to pay extra for all the attitude that goes along with it. By the way, the hotel is not on a swimmable part of the beach. It is ocean front and you cannot bathe there due to high undertoes. The pools are very nice, but the jacuzzis are full of dead bugs, all shapes and sizes, floating all over the water's edge , YUK! This hotel is by no means ANYTHING near a 5 star hotel, and anyone who dares to compare this to a Ritz Carlton has obviously never stayed in one. The hotel is huge, very impersonal and not pampering for the money you spent here. There are sooooooo many beautiful hotels in Los Cabos, do your homework, research, and don't stay here!!! The only positive thing about staying here is the fact that people in town know this is an expensive joint. When you say I am staying at the villa la estancia, everyone would say, wow, that is a very classy place. That is all it is, a name you pay for. Sami Perez and Eli Minier"

• Travel date: 8th September 2004

The best honeymoon vacation anyone could ask for

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I wanted to let anyone know whose planning a honeymoon or relaxing vacation to stay at Villa la estancia. I have stayed at 5 star hotels and this is beyond 5 stars. The attention to detail and politeness of everyone in the hotel is amazing. My new wed husband and I stayed beachfront. I researched for months before I chose a place as I felt that planning a honeymoon was just as important as planning a good wedding. If you don't want to be disappointed in your trip stay at la estancia. It is peaceful and like the previous reviews have stated, if you want the crowd and noise, just go over to villa del palmer. I would recommend that if you plan to stay at la estancia, to definately stay beach front. It is just amazing to wake up with the ocean mist entering the room. They have great workout facilities and you must go to the spa after a good workout. We were not disappointed in the food at all, we liked the convenience of ordering poolside and for dinners we would go to villa del palmer. One place I would recommend for dinner in town is called mariscos mazatlan (all seafood), we went 3 times while we were in cabo. Well I hoped this helped with anyone planning an important vacation...trust me you will not be disappointed..it is like paradise."

• Travel date: 29th July 2004

the absolute best

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"After researching a fun place to go we decided on Cabo. After reading the reviews on this website we decided on Villa La Estancia. We not only made the right choice but we chose the BEST place to stay in Cabo... I promise. The location is within walking distance of the "fun and crazy" part of the beach, but far enough away to feel private. It is also on one of the only parts of the beach you can swim on (no matter what anyone else says!) it's true. The interior is fabulous...light colors, tile, comfortable bedding, private terrace, tons of closet space, private gated entrance - and we stayed in the cheapest room they had - which was gigantic! The pool is perfect! The staff was awesome, always smiling, very attentive, so happy, helpful and generous in everyway. Their hotel restaurant is 4star. While we were there we took two tours of other hotels (I will admit - solely for the purpose of receiving so many discounts for dinners, etc.) and let me tell you about the reactions from the staff from other hotels, "OH! How did you get to stay there? Oh! La Estancia is so beautiful. Wow." I'm not kidding - if you go there you will find out you have chosen to stay at the best hotel in Cabo. We could walk downtown easily. It is never more then a 7 min cab to town if you feel too tired at the end of the night to walk "home," or walk at all for that matter. All I have to say is go to Cabo. It's in its infant stages as a tourist attraction so you don't get the ridiculous craziness of a place like Cancun. GO TO LOVERS BEACH. You will never forget it! Go snorkeling, parasailing, an ATV tour (so fun), and stay at Villa La Estancia. It's peaceful - you don't have the daily tours from people trying to sell timeshares there because it's 70% owners! Enjoy yourself and you will never want to go home. Feel free to e-mail we with questions/concerns I would love to tell you more about Cabo and Villa La Estancia."

• Travel date: 10th June 2004

Stay away until construction is done

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"The place is amazing. Everything is brand new and clean. The staff is gracious. However, stay away until the construction is done. Some days I am sure construction is minimal and unobtrusive. The week we were there three bulldozers were on the beach and numerous stone cutting machines were buzzing away from 9-6. And of course the hammering. I look forward to returning once the construction is long done."

• Travel date: 12th May 2004

Villa La Estancia is Perfect!

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We just returned from a week long vacation at Villa La Estancia. This place is perfect. The view of Lands End is awesome. We were traveling with another couple and stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. The Villa was perfect. The Master Bedroom is big with a huge bathroom. The other room was a basic 2 queen bed room with a regular bathroom. The living/dining/kitchen area in the middle was more than enough room. A full size washer and dryer and a fully stocked kitchen added to the convenience. The pool area is great. It has some zero entry areas perfect for kids. There are also some quiet areas to get away from kids. The poolside restaurant was good. I found the location of Estancia to be perfect. Just a short walk down the beach it is busy packed with people, activities and beach restaurants. Close enough to join in but far enough away too. You could walk to town along the beach or roads. The roads seemed dusty and busy so we took taxis for about $7.00. The beach was nice, the water was cold. There were chairs on the beach if you prefer that over the pool area. The beach vendors were around but not annoying due to a security guard standing at the beach wall. When you stayat Estancia you get full use of the Villa Del Palmer next door. Palmer has a great grocery store, coffee shop, internet cafe, ice cream place and a few stores. The Palmer also has a full spa. I got a massage that was so relaxing. The also have timeshare sales people. The entire week we were there we were able to dodge all the timeshare people. I think we were lucky. The Palmer also has a kids programs and seems to have a lot going on. If you are looking for activities they at the Palmer. Estancia is quiet and laid back. The final phase of construction is going on, the noise did not bother us at all. We would stay here again and recommend it to anyone. If you are looking for a relaxing, high quality place to stay, Villa La Estancia is it."

• Travel date: 19th April 2004