About Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas

• babysitting
  • butler service

Wonderful hotel!

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"We just returned from a visit to Villa Del Arco with our two children, ages 4 and 6.

This is an amazing hotel with a beautiful pool that affords ocean views and a beach that is not as busy as the beaches down by Bonito Rose and Blanco, which are closer to town.

This is a more refined resort with mostly middle-aged people and some families. Our room was beautiful, with a full kitchen and large terrace. Construction noise is still noticeable during the day (except for sat afternoon and Sunday) but down by the ocean you won't notice it. The music played by the pool is classical and relaxing. King bed was very comfortable, and the bed in the living room was a queen murphy bed--a real bed, not a sofa bed, which worked great for my kids.

Staff was attentive--Francisco and Armando are gems.

We had planned to use the kids club at Villa Del Palmar but they did not return our phone calls so we found a babysitter who worked at the hotel and that was a good solution. My advice for others--book Kids in Paradise ($30 for a half day or $40 for a full day) in advance or go over there in the morning and get signed up. The walk to villa Del Palmar is only about 5 minutes or they have a shuttle as well.

My kids loved the pool and it had some good shallow areas for them (unlike some of the other resorts we visited).

Bring food from home!! If you are a health nut like me, food is very expensive in Cabo. There is only one organic foods store--Tutto Bene-- and it does not have produce. I marked "Yes" on my customs form for food and they did not even ask me one question about it--I wish I had brought a lot more food (meat, produce, and dairy not allowed). There is a farmers market on Saturday in San jose del cabo.

We did not go on the timeshare tour and after the first few days they stopped asking us about it. We did no activities--just were down by the pool and ocean, relaxing. The way they promote the timeshare tour, it is not worth it to do unless you really are interested. The perks are just discounts off of restaurant and activities that did not make sense for us.

The food:
Had dinner at Mazatlan--wonderful!! The poolside restaurant had a guacamole and salsa plate that we had a few days for lunch--lots of guac for $7. We brought breakfast food and ate half of our dinners out. It worked out really well for us. We had the breakfast buffet at La Perla (the onsite restaurant with great view) one morning and they did not charge us for the kids). We realized at the end of our stay that La Perla has a near identical menu to the Bucaneer (the restaurant on the pirate ship that will bring you poolside food and drinks), including prices, for lunch. So you can enjoy the nice view of La Perla or stay by the pool for the same price.

City Club and CCC are not the same--CCC is further but you can walk to City Club--something I did not realize until our last day there after we had bought many items from the Villa Del Palmar grocery, which is pricy.

This vacation was a slice of paradise. The way the hotel is situated on the property is very accessible to the ocean and it is just a gorgeous place. We were there during a week that is not very busy (Dec 14-20) and so sometimes had the pool to ourselves.

I would recommend Villa Del Arco to anyone who wants real luxury at a resort meant for relaxation for all ages. The location is a good middle between the busy beaches down by Rose and the secluded hotels on the Pacific side. (The walk into town is very reasonable for people in good shape, but it does take about 20 minutes.)

Cabo is just a great place to visit--how can you go wrong in a place like this??"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of December 2006

The Arco was Great

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I visited the Arco with my girlfriend in late November of 06. The place was great. This was my 4th trip to Cabo and we chose this place based on the location and the new construction. The site is still under construction and should be done in a month or so. It did not bother us at all - they made every effort to limit major noise during the peak of the day. In any event the waves from the beach were louder at times.

The poolside restaurant was pretty good but as other stated the cost were a bit high. This is the same for the main restaurant but only for breakfast. The dinner prices were standard for a nice place.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The only complaint is that some of their English skills were limited but since we were in Mexico we should have had know more Spanish. I would go back in heart beat because of the rooms, service and location"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of December 2006

Loved the room

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Loved the room.

Certain staff were aggressive about attending their timeshares. Had one person stand between me and the taxi to prevent me from attending another presentation.

Someone stole my Crocs flip-flops from the pool area.

Had a little problem with the $100 discount--wasn't fully explained but they straightened it out.

They are still working on the hotel but it didn't bother me. It was nice walk to shopping. I would recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of December 2006

Perfect Honeymoon

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We had a fabulous time on our Honeymoon October 30, 2006 to November 7, 2006! The hotel is absolutely beautiful. We recommend it and would love to stay their again. The location is perfect. You’re close enough to downtown and beach restaurants to walk during the day but I recommend taking a taxi at night. The bellman turns a light on and a taxi comes instantly. The fare is $7 each way. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. The room was 5 star nice but the bed was very hard. It was nice to have two bathrooms. The shower is awesome, very hot with tons of pressure. When I got home my own shower feels like it drips lukewarm water. Having a Jacuzzi tub was really nice also. The kitchen was stocked with everything you needed to make a nice meal. We bought groceries at the market located at Villa del Palmar and Arrumberos. We made breakfast almost every morning. We ordered room service for breakfast twice and it’s about $12-15 and taste’s just ok. The pool is very nice but since we are from Florida we thought the pool was too cold. The Jacuzzi’s were always hot. It was awesome to be lying by the pool or beach and have Strawberry Daiquiris brought to you. They were $6 each. There margaritas are not good though. My favorite thing was getting a moonlight couples massage on the beach. It was so relaxing to hear the crashing waves. The spa is not open yet at VDA so you use the spa at Villa Del Palmar. It was worth all of the $160.

My only complaints are: only 4 American TV stations, construction view, rough bath towels and they only give you one thing of dish detergent for your entire stay. The bathroom is stocked with plenty of toiletries and even a sewing kit yet they expect you to buy your own dish detergent. It’s unfortunate because our maid then had to wash all of our dishes.

We did the timeshare presentation just so we could get a Gold Card. The concierge will tell you it’s just a presentation to show you the resort so you can tell your friends all about it. Don’t be fooled. It ended up savings us a little money on our activities and 15% off dinner at Ruth Chris’s. It took about 2 hours and no we didn’t buy one. They tried hard to sell us one. They lowered the price three times.

We booked all of our activities through the hotel. It was nice since we couldn’t speak Spanish and needed transportation. We did several activities and loved them all. We rented jet skis and did an ATV tour on Migrino Beach with Baja’s Activities. For the ATV’s they picked us up at the hotel and drove us about an hour into the desert. The Jet Ski’s were right in front of the hotel. Another day we went to Costa Azul’s Extreme Canopy Tour. It’s basically zip lines through the canyons. The tour guides were so awesome. They sent a Ford Explorer to pick us up at the hotel. It was so nice to ride in something other than a beat up old van! Another day we went Horseback riding. These are real horses that you must control and they run. It’s not the typical path the horse knows and just follows the horse in front of him. It was exciting. It was just me, my husband and the guide. At first you are riding along a clay road behind the hotel and you are wondering where this guy is taking you but eventually you come to a path that leads you to a place where you can ride the horse on the beach. The view of Lands End was magnificent.

I am a very picky eater. My favorite meal was at Ruth Chris’s. We spent about $150 for the both of us and we each had wine. My other favorites were La Dolce and the Hard Rock Café. I had a chicken fettuccine at La Dolce. My husband enjoyed all of the Mexican food. He liked The Office and Tabasco’s both on the beach. His favorite meal was at Estella’s. It’s a local restaurant with great atmosphere and they have steak and sea food. They are more expensive than Ruth Chris’s and you should make reservations. You have to go drinking at the Mango deck on the beach. It is next to The Office.

Tip: Book your transportation from the airport in advance. The airport is crazy. Don't talk to anyone there, they are just trying to sell you something."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of November 2006

Wouldnt go back

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Stayed the first week in oct, from the minute you arive the time share folks start & dont let up. The dining is so so at best. The pool is nice & the room was alright. Just I expected more."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of November 2006

paradise found

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"The Villa Del Arco Hotel flows with a natural, elegance. This hotel is classy! The decore is so tastfully done. It's earthy and flows beautiful with the natural surroundings! The staff is top knotch! Everyone is friendly and helpful! The food at the Villa Del Arco was delicious! Their menu was different with great fish entres. We had something differnt every night, and were never disappointed. Our room was beautiful , clean , romantic! The beach was perfect and clean! Lots to do or just relax this hotel is the best in Cabo! We had no problems with late check out, all we had to do was ask! I would come back to The villa Del Arco again!"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Disappointed

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"My husband and I were traveling with our 1 and 1/2 year old. We typically stay at the Marina Fiesta (though not on the beach, you can't beat the short walk into town), and had booked the Marina Fiesta for this trip. A couple of days before we left for Cabo, we got an email that the hotel pool was being renovated. Considering that is where we spend most of our time, we had to book another hotel with less than a week's notice.

After reading the great reviews of the Villa del Arco, we decided to give it a try. I was extremely disappointed for a number of reasons.

The first half of our trip (5 days), we were at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar (which I highly recommend) for a wedding, then we moved to the Villa del Arco to be closer to town for the second half. We had a late check out (1:00) from the Sheraton and went over to the Villa del Arco. They refused to let us check in before 3:00 or 4:00. We have been going to Cabo for years and years and have never had a hotel make us wait until the "official" check-in time. Even after explaining we had a baby, they made us wait.

As others have posted, there is construction everywhere at this hotel. We asked that we be as far from the construction as possible because of our baby. They put us in a room on the first floor right next to the lobby and RIGHT next to the construction. Our room was hot so we turned the a/c in both the living room and bedroom on full blast and left for dinner.

Upon our return at 8:30 pm, the room was still hot even though the a/c was blowing full blast. We told the front desk and they sent a repair person who said the doors weren't shut all the way and that was the problem (we hadn't opened any of the patio doors). He told us to give it 20 minutes and it would be fine. At 9:00 it was still not working and they finally switched us to a different room.

The a/c in the new room worked in the living room but not the bedroom. We didn't realize this until halfway into our trip because the weather was a little cooler and the a/c from the living room helped keep the bedroom cool. Finally the day before we left I had them fix it. Also, our room smelled like sewage, as did most of the outside area near our room. We think they were doing something with the sewer line in the construction. One other bad point--the water pressure is HORRIBLE.

The day we checked out, I called and asked for a late check out. The guy at the front desk asked for what time (check out is 11:00am) and when I said 1:00 he actually laughed at me and said no. I asked for noon and he said he'd check. He then told me they did not have late check outs at all in that hotel (????). I asked to speak to a manager and after telling me to hold on, he came back and said the manager had said 1:00 was fine. Needless to say, they of course disabled our keys at 11:00 anyway.

Our friends who stayed there at the same time had similar experiences.

I do have to say the rooms are beautiful. We were in the 1 bedroom suite, which is great. I especially love that there is a washer and dryer and full kitchen. Also, the pools were great. There is one area near the ship that is great for kids--very shallow with water that shoots up. Our daughter had a great time in the pool.

Overall, though the hotel looks great, it needs a lot of work when it comes to management. The waitstaff at the pool was great, though.

Considering we had to drive into town any time we wanted to go (despite what the description says, it is too far to walk way into town from hotel), I would much rather stay at the Sheraton over the Villa del Arco."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of October 2006

Nice place with some reservations...

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed at VDA for 10 days recently. Overall there are some very, very nice aspects of the hotel, and some that we thought needed some improvement.

For the great parts...
The pool/beach scene- We did not spend too much time at the beach, but it is nice, with beach chairs and umbrellas, and it is cordoned off so that the beach vendors can't bother you too much. The water is swimmable and blue, but still a rough surf and undertow even on Medano beach.

The pools are all very nice, relaxing, beautifully laid out. The waiters surrounding the pool are attentive and after ten days and some tips, got to know us and were very nice guys. We went during a relatively off season, so there were no problems with poolside chairs. There are definitely some families and kids around, but it was not overrun with children running around.

The location-Nice, close to Cabo ($7 cab ride each way) with a beautiful view of the arch and daily cruise ships coming in. We did not walk to Cabo (they don't reccomend walking at night on the beach), but we did see lots of people walking into town, day and night, and it seems perfectly safe (I'd probably walk in a bigger group at night).

Our room- We had a perfect room, all are new, very clean, the maid staff kept our place impeccable for our entire stay. We had a one bedroom unit, with a nice large porch which directly overlooked the Sea of Cortez. Made for beautiful sunrises every day.

The OK:
The restuarant- Decent food, probably a little on the expensive side (although average for hotels). We did the all inclusive, and if you eat every meal there every day (we certainly didn't) it could get boring. Breakfast (they have a menu option and a buffet option) was pretty good.

The construction- The place is, as previously mentioned, still undergoing lots of construction all day. In truth, it really is not distracting. On a number of occasions I didn't even notice the noise, even though it's there. Overall I wouldn't let the concern over construction keep you from going.

The bad:
The management- The front desk/operator/management staff needs some training, I think. We arrived having payed for the all inclusive before arriving. They tried to offer me the all inclusive on arriving and it took a minute for them to realize that I had already payed for it. I went to the desk one day to ask how to mail an item to the US, and where I could get postage, etc. They had absolutely NO idea what I meant or how to help me. They had me call the "premium services desk", which was the hotel operator who had no idea how to help me either. I finally figured out on my own that they sell stamps in the little gift shop 50 feet from the desk. The front desk staff had no idea. When I checked out they tried to charge me for the all inclusive again until I went and straightened it out. The hotel directory in the room is filled with misspellings (it spoke to me about the level of professionalism). Finally on checking out, we had to wait at the front desk while they sent housekeeping to the room to make sure that the room was OK before we left.

Timeshare- There is a definite timeshare atmosphere here. When you check in you are forced to meet with a "concierge" who is sweet and nice and then tries to get you to go to the "welcome breakfast", which at one point we were told was 75 minutes then another time 90 minutes. When we said no, she tried to talk us into it, but she did stop after three or four nos. The next day we were approached by someone at the pool, again trying to sell us on the welcome breakfast. We had to say no four times again. Apparently the "gold card" that they give you if you go gives some decent deals. We saw a great number of people on these tours each morning (my guess is that there are 30-40 groups a day), and overheard a lot of the conversations. My impression is that the pitch is relatively low pressure, but still some pressure.

The all-inclusive must be relatively new, because a lot of the wait staff were unsure of exactly what was included, they kept trying to give us two for one happy hour drinks when they were all free anyway, etc.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here. We felt extremely safe here. I did get the feeling that I needed to be on guard financially, check everything twice in terms of bills and charges. I sometimes got the feeling from the hotel, and a little bit from all of Cabo, that they were trying to get some extra money out of us, and I felt that it was/could be somewhat difficult to fix problems with the bills if they came up.

There's a lot more I could say, feel free to email if there are particular questions."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of October 2006

Nice place but really expensive

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed in del Arco for 7 days in August 2006. We had a really good 1 bedroom suite with jacuzzi, full kitchen, 2 baths, two tV's. The resort pools are splendid (so none of us really needed the jacuzzi). We enjoyed hanging out by the poolside a lot. The hotel restaurant is very classy with very "classy price". I didn't mind paying more than usual for my food but the servings they give are much less than expected for the price tag of the items in the menu. But in fairness to the restaurant, it is worth dining there at least once during your stay because it is really a wonderful restaurant over-looking the Sea of Cortez. If you get really lucky, you'd view the moon shine gloriously over the sea while having your dinner.
The service is alright. Many of the concierge staff are fluent in English. Housekeeping service is basically ok, many of them are not really fluent in English. The concierge staff are courteous but slow because they are not technically advanced (compared to our hotels here inUS).
Overall, my stay in this hotel better than average."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Beautiful 5 days in Cabo...

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Just returned from a 5 day stay at the Villa del Arco, Aug 25 - 30. We used info from Trip Advisor in making our decision to stay at VDA, and we were WELL pleased.

The entire resort is beautiful and will be even better when completed. Our room (2 bdrm suite) was spectacular, as you can see in the photos. The suite was actually a one bedroom suite and a studio with adjoining doors, on the 7th floor. All of the rooms really do have at least a partial ocean view - beautiful. The huge rocks leading out to the arch are a tremendous site. The rooms are well appointed and so clean. The one bdrm had a full kitchen with mini-bar, and the studio had a mini-fridge, sink, microwave. House-keepers quick and thorough.

Checking in was easy, but be aware of the strategy they will use to lure you into taking the time-share tour. They will send you over to see a "concierge" who has a "welcome package" for you. Part of this will include signing you up for the tour. They will give the Gold Card that others have mentioned, with is of moderate value, and will save you a little money in discounts at the resort and around Cabo. They'll throw in a bottle of tequila and a Mexican blanket (the "Mexican Package"), and a water taxi ride over to Lover's Beach near the arch. Overall, the tour is fairly low pressure...the resort basically sells itself, if you are a time-share kind of preson (we're not & didn't buy). They only take 90 minutes and give you a free breakfast.

The rest of the trip was wonderful. The 3 pools are great, although none are over four feet deep; there are two hot tubs nearby. Really cool waterfalls and landscaping, though. There is construction, as every other review has commented on. However, we barely noticed it. Sure, there are hammers banging and saws occasionally, but we thought it was very unobtrusive overall. They play music down by the pools that drown out most of it. Fresh towels available all the time down by the pools. The pool-side waiters are very attentive.

The beach is large and usually, there are many chairs and umbrellas to be had (note that we were there in the "off-season"). For those not accustomed to Pacific beaches...the sand is really small rocks, with much larger rocks mixed in. Much different than the gulf coast beaches we were used to, but no big deal.

We tried several area restaurants...the Crazy Lobster, a good local place for some quality, no-frills seafood. The on site restaurant La Perla was of course expensive, but OK for breakfast. The Office is really cool - the dining room is the beach, good food. Cabo Wabo fun atmosphere, OK food. Other meals we tried to eat in; bought groceries at City Club.

We rented a car from Thrifty and found that driving in the city was not too bad; fairly easy to find parking spots, but again, this was the off-season.

Took several boat tours - one a romantic dinner cruise and the other a snorkeling tour. Both were with a guy named Eduardo Padilla on his boat Rissalena. I highly recommend these tours, and his info can be easily found on the net - just google Rissalena.

There are tons of other activities to do at the resort...the usual beach stuff - jet skis, parasail, etc. We chose to just relax on the beach or by the pool.

Overall, we were VERY satisfied with our stay at VDA; it is top notch in every respect, and one of the best rooms we have ever stayed in. Brand new and beautiful. You won't be dissappointed."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006