unique setting for a fabulous 5 star hotel

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"Everything is 1st class at the Capella Pedregai! Very unusual ,but beautiful setting thru the rocks.Gorgeous oceanview rooms,each with a personal plunge pool.Very large bathrooms with separate tubs and a rain head shower.We ate in all of the restaurants and the food always was delicious! I had a great massage and enjoyed the gym.Attentive service always at the restaurants and the pools.All of my photos have been admired,is more beautiful than the website in person!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of February 2010

OH MY GOD!! Luxury!!

Reviewed Mon 25th of March 2013

"We had a fabulous time...every little detail is tended to. The staff was fabulous - anything and everything you need or ask for is tended to. They are friendly, know your name by the end of the 1st day and will accommodate any request you may have. The view from the hotel is amazing - you can sit on your private terrace w/plunge pool and watch the whales play in the ocean. We had a wonderful, romantic get away!!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of February 2010

Five Star Across the Board

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"Just returned from 5 nights at Capella. Our service and the staff were excellent, especially with such a new resort. The service was the same as when we stayed at Capella Ixtapa. The whole staff, top to bottom, were as sincere and eager to please as we have found anywhere. They may not have the perfection & polish yet of an established Four Seasons or Palmilla (which some call perfect but others might call pretentious).

It is an expensive resort so I can not say it is a "value" per se, but well worth the cost relative to other 5 Star places.

The Estrella Suite was unreal for the comfort and the view from the top of the building. The open shower could be unnerving, but you can close the main bathroom door for privacy.

Sitting at the pool or on the beach watching the humpbacks jump was great free entertainment. Saw a photo shoot of Zoe Saldana, too.

Food was very, very good. Room service was prompt and never missed a thing. Prices were not out of this world like we saw a few years ago at Palmilla. You do not go here for budget food, but it is nice when the costs are no different than a fine restaruant in Houston.

Service was extraordinary. Had a problem with our safe on arrival. About 2 minutes later a guy comes and fixes it. It is one thing to have someone come right away, it is another for them to actually know exactly what they are doing. Same thing with blanket requests, housekeeping, etc. - wonderful people helping you promptly with any request.

The "personal assisant" did a nice job of advance prep for us - setting up a boat ride, flowers, etc. Most of our contact was with Marisol who was an outstanding personal assistant and a great asset to the resort."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of January 2010

Good, not great...

Reviewed Sun 24th of March 2013

"We stayed at Capella Pedregal for 5 nights/6 days in mid-January. The property is truly beautiful, very convenient to the town of Cabo San Lucas and a very short stroll to the Marina. We stayed in an Estrella Suite, which is one bedroom with a separate living and dining area. The room was generally well appointed, clean and what you would expect in a resort in this price range. The food at both restaurants on this property is excellent, especially the restaurant on the cliff. The spa is very nice, has wet and dry steam, hot tub and ice room. The resort only has 66 rooms, so even when they are at occupancy there are available chairs at the pool and it doesn't seem crowded.
And now for the not so great...the double doors on our room did not ever close properly. You could push them open even when they were locked properly using the bar into the frame to secure one side and the deadbolt on the other. The bathroom, although pretty, has a completely open shower which was a little drafty because our hot water was not super hot and not consistent. Closets are very small. Room service was dicey, food was good but they didn't get our order right in 3 tries even when ordering a standard menu item.
They say that they have yoga and other classes at the fitness center and have a printed schedule, but be aware that these are not really classes but rather times that an instructor might be available if you make a reservation for it 24 hours in advance. It doesn't say this anywhere on the schedule, I found out when I showed up for a non-existent yoga class. The personal assistant (concierge) is not the greatest at restaurant recommendations. Also, we found out when we were being driven to the airport that they do personal tours in the hotel vehicle, which is something we would have loved to do, but there was no information offered on this before and the personal assistant never brought it up when we were scheduling our other activities.
My husband's iphone disappeared from our room while we were gone for several hours on an atv tour. My guess is that it was laying on our unmade bed and got hauled off with the linens, nothing else was missing. But it was quite an ordeal getting the manager and security staff to understand that it was not lost IN the room. We searched ourselves, then security came and searched (fine...) but then then came 2 more times intending to re-search the room rather than look elsewhere (like the laundry). I'm not sure if this is a case of lost in translation or laziness. They ultimately charged the cost of a new iphone off of our bill.

We usually stay at Four Seasons or the Ritz (neither of which was an option at this location) and although the rooms at those resorts may be a little more traditional and boring, the service is always very good and thorough and that's what you pay for. I really felt that this was a case of five star accommodations and three star service. I would recommend this property in a heartbeat if the service were good...and maybe it will improve over time as this is a one-year old resort. If we return to Cabo, we will probably stay at Palmilla or Esperanza."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of January 2010

Absolute Luxury!

Reviewed Wed 27th of March 2013

"Wonderful hotel, wonderful service, and wonderful food! My husband and I loved our stay at Capella. It is a little expensive, but well worth it! Try the Guava Margarita (blended) it is to die for! And every room has its own pool! We will be returning next year!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of November 2009

Beautiful, but what happened to their personal trainers?

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"The place was absolutely bee-u-tee-ful! Well worth the wait. And the food was great. The preperation and presentation by Chef Marco Bustamonte was top notch. My girlfriend and I try to stay in top shape (so we can enjoy the food), so we were really looking forward to using the gym and all it had to offer. Unfortunately the staff really had no working knowledge of the equipment and when we asked about the certified personal trainers, there was no answer for that. We've been to some of the best resorts in Mexico and have always made sure that the gym was well equipped and staffed. Not so in this case."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of October 2009

What a gorgeous place!

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"First off I must confess my review may be a little skewed. I did not pay for this trip myself, it was a gift from a very close friend for my birthday.
With that said, I loved the Capella Pedregal in Cabo San Lucas. From the moment we passed the gated entrance and drove through the private tunnel I knew I was in for a treat. The architectural designer did a fabulous job, it was truly amazing. Spending time in the infinity pool or at the world class spa couldn't be any more relaxing. For an incredible message, ask for Irene, she is a great credit to her profession. The staff is extremely friendly and attentive but not in an overwhelming way. A special thanks to Eddie who made our stay that much more special.
As far as the food, the main restaurant Don Manuel's was magnificent. Fresh fish, delicious lamb, and unique fresh baked breads. I looked forward to the "buffet" breakfast every morning. Anything and everything you can imagine is at your finger tips. Omelets, tamales, cheeses, just baked muffins, fruit, fresh squeezed juices, etc.
So now for the couple of unfortunates about the hotel. They tout a personal assistant as one of the perks of the hotel. Well, ours was pretty much useless. Marisol could not accomplish the few small tasks we asked for. Such as, having the staff clean our room while we were at the pool or delivering tea in our room in the morning. Also, I ordered a cocktail in the room which never came. The air conditioning was incredibly loud and my friend had to wear ear plugs in order to sleep at night. Also, the plunge pool filtering system made a lot of noise which made it hard to relax while sitting in it.
Even though I loved this hotel and had the time of my life, I have to say they are overpriced. I will recommend this hotel with the caveat that they need to adjust their prices."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of October 2009

Did not think it was as special as everyone else thought

Reviewed Thu 21st of March 2013

"Managers were rude. Food was ok. Service was ok and sometimes not good. Great location, but not worth the rates as far as we were concerned. The only "cool" part of the place is the entrance through the cave. But other than that... what is the big deal?"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of October 2009

WOW! WOW! WOW! Amazing Staff! Amazing Resort!

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"A week prior to our arrival, we were contacted by our "Personal Assistant" to assist us with the details of our trip and to provide any helpful services we might require. He was a real gentleman - professional and courteous - and followed up our conversations immediately with confirmation emails to the last detail. And, when we arrived to the resort , he met us with the same enthusiasm and warmth.

We arrived on a very warm day and were met in our pre-arranged car ride by cold towels and water (yes, waiting for us at the airport), and upon arrival to the resort, the staff was standing at the mouth of the tunnel (you have to see this, it's amazing) to greet us with smiles. Before we knew it our luggage was whisked away and we were escorted to the arrival desk - no pictures of the founding fathers behind this front desk either, simply a large pane of glass overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Each couple was very quickly taken care of, more cold scented towels to refresh us before being personally escorted to our rooms - yes, each guest has a personal escort and no luggage - it was waiting for us when we arrived.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Service is genuine at this resort, not forced. The food was amazing no matter where we ate (room service was a bit pricey) but compared to the other top resorts in Cabo, especially five-star caliber, the value at Capella Pedregal was terrific. You must try the restaurant Don Manuel's - chef Marco (I won't try to spell his last name) has captured the essence and flavors of authentic mexico.

The physical resort itself is fantastic. However, similar to some other resorts in Cabo, you can't really swim in the ocean because of the riptides. However, on the plus side, EVERY ROOM has ITS OWN POOL. Yes, every room, so convenience to water is never a problem! And, we welcomed the sounds of crashing waves each evening from our room.

The staff is truly unique and accommodating. The people of Mexico are cordial, but you could tell that this staff was well trained and each person genuinely loves what they do. Every time we passed or approached someone (from landscaping to housekeeping) they stopped in their tracks, stood at attention, faced and greeted us. Every time!

And, if you want to see how this all works, you don't have to look far. The General Manager is Mr. Quinnyones and he is everywhere. Every time we turned around (morning, noon and night) we saw him in the restaurant, at the pool, in the fitness center, in the spa and he even took part in walking guests to their rooms upon check in (which we observed from our in-room pool). Always smiling, ensuring that we were enjoying his fine resort and asking what he could do to make our stay more enjoyable? Nothing Mr. Quinnyones - don't change a thing! You have come very close to mastering perfection! We will be back!"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of September 2009

First Class

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"From the moment you enter the gates at the foot of Pedregal and proceed thru the torch-lit private tunnel leading to the reception area, you just know this place is special. After just minutes of arriving you are already calculating when you will be able to return.

We were welcomed personally, offered a refreshment, and lead to our beautiful suite. It's everything the photos depict and then some. No expense was spared when it came to designing this property. Our oversized privacy bound balcony had two patio sofas and a refreshing infinity plunge pool. We had fabulous view of the beach and crashing waves from our place on the forth floor.

Capella Pedregal has recruited the best of the best to take care of every need while you are there. Do visit Jerry in the kitchen which is open to everyone to come in and order-up whatever you desire. Eddie and Issac will take care of you at the bar. Auriga Spa is on my "A" list of spas. We will definitely be visiting again real soon!"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of September 2009

Unbelievable

Reviewed Fri 22nd of March 2013

"The location is outstanding very close to downtown, the security is great, and all the service staff were extremely nice! The staff will do anything to make your trip the best ever. The breakfast buffet was incredible. The SPA services all top notch. The rooms where made to live in not just visit! The food by far the best in Cabo!! Try the newly opened outdoor restaurant with the wave crashing on the rocks below!!!

The only downside is common to all Cabo, they prefer you not swim in the ocean because of the strong currents. The other thing you may want to consider is where your room is located, the closer to the beach the less steps you have to climb. They have elevators there but if you are up on a hill you still have to take steps to get there.

It is not cheap, but if you have the money it is well spent!!"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of September 2009

Incredible ...best hotel/resort experience ever!

Reviewed Wed 20th of March 2013

"You have to go and see this place for yourself. Capella is an incredible top notch resort with breathtaking architecture and views matched only by Cabo’s natural beauty. It is everything that a Luxury Resort should be. It is very intimate with only 66 oceanview suites. I will not hesitate to recommend Capella Pedregal to even my most discerning friends and family. Capella is BY FAR the Baja’s Sexiest Resort with its perfect location, impeccable hospitality, creative dining and tranquil spa.
The Executive Chef, Marco Bustamante, has worked with Thomas Keller at Per Se in NYC. Need I say more?? They offer cooking classes during the day. It was awesome.
The exclusively designed rooms and suites, with their fireplaces, private plunge pools and stunning sea views, provide an authentic luxury travel experience to all guests. Capitalizing on the tropical climate, the rooms and suites have been designed to offer plenty of options for outdoor living with expansive verandahs and terraces.
I can not really think of anything negative about this resort. This was the best hotel/resort experience I have ever had. I still can not say enough about the staff and the management.

Go! you will not regret it!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of September 2009