Good

Can't wait until I can go back

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"My friends and I stayed for a week at this lovely resort. It was everything and more than we expected. I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 stars becasue of the constant pressure to take the time share tour. There were many pools with lots of chairs and umbrellas. The entire place was so clean and nice. The staff were always friendly and ready to help in any way. The rooms were spacious and decorated lovely. The beach is unsafe for swimming and there are no lifeguards. This is a great place to go and relax. It is a few miles south of the town, which makes it quiet and peaceful. I would recommend renting a car at the airport. The shuttles are expensive."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005

Buy a timeshare-get good service

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"This beautifully landscaped, lush, tropical resort was all show and no substance. EVERY single day we were there, we had to GO to the concierge and get towels. We called every day and were assured that towels would be dispatched immediately. Each day after calling and waiting for up to 4 hours, we had to go to get them. The room was cleaned only once even though the bed was made daily and the towels removed.
The sales staff (Manny)at the timeshare presentation was aggressive and rude. We were told that once we purchased a timeshare, we would receive five-star service and towels. The restaurants were ridiculously priced. Room service was laughable. A cheeseburger was $18.50. The noise level from the adjoining rooms was unbearable. Had we not had pesos, our maid fee at check-out would have been $63.00. Because we had the national currency, it was 270.00 pesos which was about $27.00.
Our photographs were gorgeous from the trip but the Hacienda Del Mar was far less than we expected."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of June 2005

Great Vacation!!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"All!

Just got back from Hacienda del Mar (Sheraton Vacation Club), w/o 5/21 - 5/28. We were originally booked by RCI into their newest building (12), the unit was great; two flat screen TVs, jacuzzi tub, etc BUT view from 2nd floor was of the reception area. I requested a room change from the reservations manager. He would not change us until Sunday but gave us a choice of three rooms(!). We moved to building 5 and had decent ocean view with older but comparable facilities. The only thing we did not like was that there were no king size beds in a studio only two double beds. Not really great being on our anniversary but we survived.

The grounds are outstanding, 5 pools including separate kiddie pool. Chairs on the beach with 2 beach bars with waiter service. Staff was outstanding!

TIPS: Breakfast at Girasoles: $12.99 menu/buffet. Order anything from the menu for single charge. Lunch on the beach in front of the vacation club side for $10/entry. Great quesadillas!! Meals at the hotel are on the expensive side; breakfast/lunch at Tomatoes is on the high side $+20. however de Cortez for dinner was worth the +$120 price for two. We did not eat at 5 star Pitahayas but was told it was great (but +$250/couple).

Timeshare Tour at Fiesta American: Yes, we took the tour. The Tour was only 90 minutes (really!) and no pressure. We arranged for the tour at the Dollar rental location in the car pick up area. The appointment was for Sunday breakfast. I negotiated free rental car for week ($125), $25 dinner certificate at Enriques (average food quality), and Sunset dinner cruise for two on the Surfrider (below average meal but great sunset cruise out to El Arco (saw seal colony - great!).

Marlin fishing: booked through Pisces $580 for full day on 31ft bertram. Caught and released my 6 ft long Marlin. The crew was just OK. We saw over 30 marlin! We came across a pod of 4 with their bills in the air; the mate got so overexcited he screwed up the bait cast and wrapped it around the outrigger! I had to grab the other rod, add bait, and cast into the pod myself all too late. Bottom line we had a great day, I got my marlin and the trip was definitely worth the price of admission.

Other suggestions: dinner at Mocambo in Cabo San Lucas, and definitely have dinner at da Georgia - great view and very good food!

Hope this is helpful have a great trip!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of May 2005

Just a delightful trip....

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Hacienda del Mar is a time-share adjacent to the Sheraton at the huge Cabo del Sol development half way between Cabo and San Jose. What a delightful property. All the amenities in the world, with helpful & friendly staff. One suggestion: stay away from the peak periods, with late April/May just wonderful. Travelers suggestions: Shop at Costco; try Enrique's (budget) and "C's" (extravagant) for dinner; watch the Pemex pump guys."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of April 2005

5 Star Resort, an illusion in the desert of Cabo

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"This resort offers every ammenity one needs for a fabulous resort-style getaway. From the heated pools to the world class restaraunts, everything is top notch. The grounds are immpecibly manicured, the staff courteous, the rooms are spacious and tastfully appointed, there are plenty of happy hours between the numerous snack bars and eateries that you can 2 for 1 it almost all day or night. After dark, the grounds are magically showcased, with trees, cactii, and pools bathed in soft lighting. There is even a National Car rental desk on site so you can easily get a car for as many days as you like or take advantage of the resort shuttle for only $10 pp r/t to town for a little diversion. We especially enjoyed the electric juicer in our room to make our own fresh juice out of the local oranges. We also liked to swim in the 98 degree pool, before retiring for the evening, like swimming in a spa! Besides golf, a health club and spa, ping pong and billiards on site, there are plenty of activities available from snorkeling to sunset sails through the consierge, and at a discount if you take the sales tour through the club. Because the Sheraton is very active with corporate bookings, weddings and private functions, there is often live music during the week near one of the pools or the restaraunts for anyone to enjoy. Even though there are plenty of rooms with tourists in them, the pools are so large and meandering that one can find their own special spot. The beach is beautiful for walking and the sun shines almost every day........... what more could one wish for a vacation?"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

absolutely beautiful grounds, pools and area

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"You really need to rent a car if you stay at this resort...It will cost you approx. $50 to get from airport to resort if you don't rent a car. It is $10 to take a cab to Cabo, and the resort is 6 mi from Cabo. Food is very spendy at the resort. The best bet there is Girosol 12.95 brkfast. Do not miss the Latitude 22 Roadhouse for dinner on Thurs through Sat. Wonderful food, entertainment and it is reasonable: recommend the calamari. This resort is located on the grounds of Casa del Mar which has wonderful areas to walk or jog. The resort is in quieter location is relaxing. There is a pool for everyone( three large) and plenty of pool lounges. Housekeeping daily but I would like it if they would vaccum once in a while....Dust under bed, don't look there. Otherwise, very clean and the grounds are beautiful...(get the best grounds award)...I hate time share stuff so just say no...We had a hot tub on our balcony and that was nice to sit in late at night. If you call for wash cloths or toilet paper...you wait awhile or you call twice. The beach is the best but the surf is dangerous. They have daily Spanish lessons, bingo, salsa lessons, volleyball and child care. Cabo gets spendier and spendier but this resort is beautiful...Biggest draw back is transportation cost...rent a car from Payless (the cheapest)."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of April 2005

Absolutely Beautiful!

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I just got back from a week at the Hacienda del Mar for a friend's wedding, at it was unbelievable. We stayed on the Vacation Club side, but I'm sure the experience would be similar at the hotel. We had a three bedroom penthouse suite in the Villa Dorado, and it was phenomenal. I'm trying to come up with the right words to describe it, and I keep typing "Wow." The staff was extremely helpful and courteous, and if they didn't speak English, they quickly found someone who did (rather than some places that give you the blank look and say "No habla Ingles" and wait for you to attempt mime-like hand signals to get your request across). They were not only willing to help, but they seemed as if they were actively looking for ways to help make your stay more enjoyable.

The most amazing thing about this resort is that they will get you whatever you want, no matter what your request is. This point was proven in a pretty funny situation with the groom and myself the night before the wedding. It was about 9:30pm and we wanted to check on having a bonfire down on the beach. We were told ahead of time that this would be possible, so we went to discuss it with the concierge. He said he had never gotten that request before, but would be happy to make it happen. He made a couple phone calls for us, and said it would be almost impossible that night, but if we wanted to the next night, he would make it happen. We decided that after the wedding reception, it might be nice to move down to the beach for a bonfire as it would be most people's last night in Cabo. We asked the concierge to set it up for 10:30 the following night, which he was more than happy to do so. When we asked what it would cost, he made some reference to the size (which we told him we wanted big!) and the color. When he referenced the color, the groom and I looked at each other kind of puzzled. But, we figured maybe it was something in the Mexican wood that made the flames different colors. It was when we heard the word "explosion" that we knew we weren't on the same page as the concierge. As it turns out, we almost ordered a fireworks show instead of a bonfire. As funny as it was, if you read between the lines you will see that no matter how strange the request may be, they will be more than happy to do whatever it takes to try and meet your every want. Even if it's 9:30pm and you have a hankering for a fireworks show that very night!

The only negative thing I have was about our experience at the on-site restaurant Tomatoe's. Now, we knew going into it that the food was going to be expensive at the restaurants, so the prices weren't that much of a shock ($15 for a hamburger, $10 for a bowl of soup, $12 for nachos, etc.), although $6 for a tiny bottle of water was hard to swallow! But aside from the high prices, the service and food quality was horrendous. My wife ordered the tortilla soup, and it was luke-warm at best by the time she got it, and was nowhere near as good as the soup at the Crazy Lobster in Cabo (which was probably $2 for a bowl). She got up to use the restroom, and the waiter came to take her meal and I told him not to, that she was in the bathroom and wasn't finished. He said "Ok" and left it alone. I was engrossed in a conversation with some friends, and two minutes later looked down and her place was completely cleared. I flagged down the waiter and asked if he had taken her food, to which he replied "Yes." I asked him if he remembered me saying not to take it, because she wasn't finished, and he simply said "Sorry" and walked away. When he presented us with the bill, I kindly asked if he would please remove my wife's entree and give us a new bill, to which he just looked at me and asked, "Why?" I had to explain to him all over again how I had asked him not to take her dinner, and then he came back when I wasn't paying attention and took it away. The sad part about all of it was that he spoke perfect English too, so it wasn't like there was a language barrier with him. This was only my experience, but almost everyone in our group had something negative to say about that one dining experience at Tomatoe's.

If you are looking for a great breakfast experience, I highly recommend Girasoles. Their idea of a breakfast buffet is that you can order anything on the menu as many times as you want for $12.99. The french toast was incredible, the egg dishes were superb and the fresh squeezed fruit juices (orange, mango, papaya, etc.) were to die for. The service was impeccable, and we had a wonderful time dining on the open-air patio.

As far as transportation goes, it's $20 (for up to 4 people) one way for a cab into town, and then its $5 each after that. If you're with a big group, that may be alright, but if its just two of you, you should be able to find a car rental for about $150/wk which is what you'll spend on 3 trips to town after tips and all. When we go back, that is what we will do. The road to town is a classic four lane highway, and navigating and parking in town isn't a problem at all.

If I could have removed our experience at Tomatoe's from our overall experience of Hacienda del Mar, it would have given it an Excellent review rating for sure, as there was nothing else they could have improved on. If you are looking for a great place to relax and to be pampered like royalty, then this is the place for you!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of April 2005

Perfect place to escape from the world

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My husband & I spent 4 nights here in mid-March. Preparing for our trip I got very nervous reading about the stomach problems. We drank only bottled water and the hotel says they use filtered for ice. We had ice and frozen drinks (especially at the 2 for 1 happy hour) and were fine.

Jan - Mar is whale birthing season and we could see whales in the ocean from our room's balcony and from 3 of the pools.

Agree with nearly everything reviewer from March 17 posted, girasoles breakfast is the way to go. Restaurants are pricy especially the bottled water. If you buy water on the premises go to the store by Girasoles it's noticably cheaper than the store by the hotel check in.

The shuttle to town is $5 each way and runs regulary every 1.5 hours. We went to relax and escape from the world more than to party in town and this hotel was perfect!"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of March 2005

Wonderful place for a vacation!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed for a week at the Hacienda Del Mar Vacation Club (in the same complex as the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar), and had a wonderful time! We had a junior suite, which had two comfy queen beds, a sitting area and a kitchenette -- more than enough space for a romantic week for two...

The complex itself is beautiful. The pools are spectacular, with great views of the ocean, and there were no fewer than 4 hot tubs, each strategically placed around the resort. The restaraunts in the complex are great -- Pitahayas has great seafood with incredible ambience, Tomatoes serves up different types of affordable cuisine, Girasoles has great breakfasts with a great views of the ocean, and even the bar on the beach has good food as well (try the seabass fish and chips!). If you're a golfer, the Hacienda is connected to the Cabo Del Sol golf course -- they run a shuttle to the course (about 5 minutes away) and provide discounts for those staying at the hotel. The Ocean course is incredibly pricey, but worth every penny!

The staff was unfailingly friendly -- the concierge, Pablo, was very helpful in setting up reservations and recommending restaurants, and even the guys cleaning the pool decks were always ready with a smile and a 'hola'.

The best part about the whole thing was that we got all the services of the Sheraton, with a nicer room, for about half the price.

Overall, we had a great time and would highly recommend the Hacienda Del Mar Vacation Club. We're already making plans to go back!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of February 2005

Such a beautiful property

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We visited the Hadienda Del Mar November 15-22, 2004. We had never been to Cabo before, but had heard great things. Well, we were not disappointed. It as such a spectacular destination. The Hacienda del Mar truley lives up to its reputation as a Starwood property. The grounds were immaculate, the staff and local people could not have been friendlier. Many beautiful pools to choose from, and the beach is great too (however, if you are an avid ocean swimmer you might be disappointed because it isn't really safe to swim anywhere in Los Cabos).
All of the restaurants are very good, but if you want value and good food, visit the restaurant Girasoles de la Hacienda. It has a great breakfast deal (all you can eat from the menu + beverages) for 11.95 per person. We also happened to stay in the building where this restaurant is located, so it was an easy walk up a couple of flights.
Cabo is a fun place to vacation....you will love it."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of January 2005