Good

Esperanza is a romantic, exclusive and expensive resort but worth it.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We arrived at the airport and found that booking the round trip transportation was a great idea and very accomodating. Everything about the Esperanza was elegant yet very casual. My boyfriend and I have traveled to four countries in 7 months and found the Esperanza to be beautiful and so so so relaxing. The bedding and accomodations were first class with frette sheets and down comforters, we didn't seem to get our day started before noon. The only complaint we had was the dinners. The breakfasts and lunch that we had there was delicious but seemed not warm enough. We recommend eating in town, Edith's was a great choice."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of March 2005

Loved Esperanza-except dinners

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Esperanza is an absolutely beautiful place-and it should be for the price. Don't get me wrong-I loved this place. We went with three other couples in Feb. 2004. and had an amazing experience. The only drawback in my opinion was the quality of the food at dinner and the actual menu. It just was not that great. Especially not for the price. Maybe it's been tweeked by now. We had much better dinners in town (Try Nik San if you like sushi). The appetizers, breakfasts and lunches at Esperanza were outstanding! The guys brought back a tuna from a fishing trip and the chef at Esperanza prepared 4 types of tuna for us and we had that for lunch. It was amazing.

The property itself is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. And the rooms---everything about them was wonderful-especially the sheets, the bathrooms and the terrace. If you are looking for a great honeymoon spot splurge and get one of the top floor casitas with the infinity edge hot tub on the terrace.

This is a very romantic and beautiful place! ENJOY!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of March 2005

Welcome home!!!

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

""Welcome home." This is how my husband and I were greeted each time we returned to Esperanza during our 4 nights/5 days stay. This truly is one of the most wonderful resorts in the world. We really did feel we were home and eager to spend more time at the pool, beach, bar or our room. We stayed in the beachfront building. The room's floor to ceiling sliding windows opened up completely to a gorgeous tile terrace with comfy couch and a relaxing hammock with the waves crashing on the rocks below. The beds quite possibly are the most comfortable in which you will ever sleep. The service at Esperanza was outstanding...in room check-in, pool butlers catering to your every need, waiters galore in both restaurants...I could go on and on. The spa was beautiful and a massage from Mirna was perfect. Take a yoga class from Maggie or work out in a great fitness room which is much nicer than many resorts. We extensively used the concierge department who helped us book wonderful restaurants in San Jose and Cabo. They also set up our visits for cocktails at the two other comparable resorts, Las Ventanas and Palmilla. While they were both spectacular in their own way... Esperanza more along the lines of Las Ventanas...staying at Esperanza felt like home to us. It probably helped that the staff becomes very aquainted with its guests and values service and quality more than anything. If you like a small, very personal and quiet (private) resort which is very upscale and gorgeous, Esperanza is for you. Of course, there is a hefty price tag which goes along with all this. Splurge...it will be worth it!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of November 2004

Esperanza is top shelf!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My wife and I just returned from a (too) short stay at Esperanza where we celebrated our 20th anniversary. I read the reviews and had a good idea of what to expect. I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. The rooms, grounds, food, amenities and staff were outstanding! They truly do know your name within minutes of arrival and will bend over backwards to make your stay incredible. The concierge was very helpful, and open late, to handle those requests that pop up after a few drinks. She was by far one of the best we have encountered in our many stays throughout the world.

The Esperanza is expensive. It keeps out the riff-raff and thus everything is darn near perfect. If you want to grunge, do not stay here....or go into town once or twice and get it out of your system...then return to heaven.

Two tips on saving some dough. there is an incredible liquor store almost right across the highway from the resort. Stock up on your favorites and leave the minibar alone. They push bottled water at the meals (feeding on your fears of Mexican H2O) - you might be better off drinking beer or wine price-wise. They claim the resort water has been through 'state of the art' purification. I drank it and never felt woozy at all. By the way they constantly give you free bottled water everywhere else in the resort except the restaurants....go figure.

All the bills will include a 15% gratuity. Some people hate this. I found that, in all but one instance, I bumped up to 20%, once to 25% - they were that good. The bellmen I also tipped, although I did not have to because it is figured into your room bill, just to set a good tone on our arrival.

As it was our 20th, we splurged on the 'couples' massage......WOW. I don't have much to compare it to, but it was fantastic. I can't imagine how it could be better.

All in all it is definitely a world class resort. As one of the bell hops said when I asked where the ice machine was " Don't worry sir we'll bring it to you - you don't do a thing but kick back and relax".

We will definitely be going back!
Bob"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of August 2004

Beautiful, but.....

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We just returned from a 5 day stay in one of the 3 bedroom villas. The villa itself was gorgeous. Very well appointed and we loved the plunge pool of our ground floor unit. The grounds and view are also great. The service was what you would expect at those prices, but there were some "issues".
The concierge seemed to have a hard time getting our information straight re: arrivals and reservations etc. We also had some problems with what appeared to be padding on the bill, ie, a cup of coffee charged as a pot (for $19!) and a bottle of wine being charged with an extra glass. This is on top of already extremely high prices- $55 for a mexican buffett and $11 for a margarita. Also, an automatic 18% gratuity is added to everything. We didn't expect budget, after all we are used to SF prices, but... A few other things to be aware of- the "free" shuttle is only to the airport and back, you have to taxi or rent a car elsewhere. If you have more than one arrival time it is an extra $63.00. Our least expensive taxi ride was $23 to a golf course 10 minutes away. The mercado that was advertised is closed. There is a Costco 5 minutes away and they will stock for you for a 15% fee. Our order was pretty incorrect, but they were nice about trying to fix it. And lastly, although the coast and beach is beautiful, they recommend against actually swimming in the ocean from there. All in all we didn't find it worth the trek..."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2004

Great, romantic resort!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Just returned from a 5 night stay at Esperanza. I read so much about the resort being good that I had very high expectations- they were exceeded! The room was beautiful- had the Palapa level Beachfront casita- right on the ocean with a hottub on the deck overlooking the beach- it was great! The rooms were not huge, but they were very well done. Prior to the trip we filled out a paper indicating important dates, etc. I mentioned this was our 10-year anniversary trip and also mentioned my wife's birthday which also coincided with our time there. On two different occasions, we were surprised with dessert (one with Happy Anniversary spelled out on the plate in chocolate) and serenaded by Mariachi band and another at the main restaurant with a beautifully prepared dessert and a gift bag for my wife for her birthday. It was touches such as this, in addition to the unbelievable scenery from this resort that make us want to return again very quickly.

The one negative we had was our air conditioner went out the first day we were there in our room and they had to move us to a lesser-category room for the night. However, they comped the night which was a very generous gesture for the inconvenience."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of June 2004

Esperanza is Perfect

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Just returned from a week at Esperanza celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary. The experience at this resort is outstanding, the employees make you feel like you are a guest in their home. The resort itself is enchantingly beautiful, the rooms expansive (the upper level Palapa rooms are worth the extra charge) and the food is first rate. The weather in June is very hot but the afternoon sea breeze makes things quite comfortable and the evenings are just right. Have stayed at many top hotels but Eaperanza exceeds the well deserved hype."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of June 2004

Unbelievable Service!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"My wife and I just returned from Esperanza, having spent a long weekend celebrating our ten year anniversary. We had a great time, due in large part to this resort. The service level surpasses other resorts I have stayed in that garner high marks for service, such as the Peninsula Chicago and Cap Juluca. The setting which the resort sits on is stunning, and the palapa level rooms are worth the extra price for the infinity edge whirlpool on the patio. My wife and I felt we had the place to ourselves, and I was shocked to learn the resort was 90% full. The food was exceptional; so much so we never ventured off the resort for a meal. I will say the resort is expensive, but the experience is well worth the money."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2004

There is something special about Esperanza

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"It is hard to describe, but once you get there you just know that there is something special about Esperanza. You see it, you feel it. We will be going there for our second time next month. We have travelled extensively and we are seriously inpressed with everything about Esperanza. If you can afford to experience a high end vacation, then I would highly recommend this resort."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of May 2004

luxury, luxury,luxury

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"as a vacationer and now an owner at esperanza I can honestly say that this is the nicest resort we have ever stayed in. For years we stayed at all the luxury hotels in the carribean and none come close to the beauty and class of esperanza. If you can afford it stay in the luxury villa. 4000 sq feet, infinity pool, your own butler and more. Its an experience everyone should have."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of February 2004