Family Dive Vacation-Hotel Fontan

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Fontan in July as part of a family package with Aldora divers. Our kids (10 & 12) did the Scuba Camp. The hotel was newly remodeled and clean. All the rooms had an ocean view . The pool was right outside our door so this was great for the kids. Also very easy access to snorkling. We only ate breakfast at the hotel but enjoyed the pastries and outdoor dining. We look forward to more trips to Cozumel."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

Fontan is back/fun club is gone

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"If you have never visited Cozumel you are in for a treat. My family and I travel often. We are always looking for that rare Hotel that has a special staff and a place where we can feel at home and relaxed. The Fontan Hotel has become or getaway place.
The manager Maryline Justice and the asst.mgr. Isabel Valdovinos are very professional and always willing to assist guest in any way. Fishing trips, rental cars, dinner resorvations are all part of the staff daily duties. The hotel is rather small yet every room has a ocean view. The rooms are tiled with a large windows overlooking the grounds and the ocean. A small balcony allows a fresh air view and a great place to watch the dramatic sunsets.
The Hotel has a dark past from being involved with the "Fun Club". I was also caught up in this scam years ago and the Hotel has suffered for years from its previous owners involvement. The Hotel has no affiliation with the Fun Club now and rest assured this Hotel is doing everything possible to assure people that they are serious about their business and are making everyones visit a pleasant one to remember.
The Fontan is north of the main tourist part of Cozumel and much quiter than most locations. The swimming area is a small natural inlet and allows children unlimited snorkeling in a safe enviroment, beyond the inlet is a natural wall making up the shoreline the wall is nearly 20 feet high and is full of aquatic life!
Fontan continues to improve the hotel with new water resorces and updating the rooms and decor. Overall the hotel is nice yet not for the fancy at heart. If you are looking for a fun place , limited numbers of guests and a quiet place to relax, the Fontan is your kind of place. The staff makes all the difference. You will feel as part of the family by the time you leave. My family really enjoyed our stay and we will return soon. The Fontan is a fun affordable quiet place that offers less than some but much more in service and friendlyness than most. If anyone has any questins feel free to E-mail me. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of May 2004

Ripped off in Cozumel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We visited Cozumel and were solicited by a lady at the activity desk of El Cozmeleno hotel to go have a day of fun, not a time share seminar.
We went and thought this was not a bad deal so signed a contract to pay $600 down from a credit card and $1,000 in three months. When I got home about 24 hours later I was advised from the credit card company about suspicious activity from a company called Fun Club. First they took an original 800 instead of 600 while we were still there and 5 minutes after we left tried to takes 2,000 more from my credit card, which they were denied because of my limit and then tried several more times with lower amounts to withdrawl before finally giving up. I did never get by $800 back and no information promised. I had to close my credit account and found out for several months afterwards they were still making attempts to take money from the closed acccount."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of March 2004

an enjoyable budget hotel

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for one night and found it to be a budget hotel with pretty nice rooms and a great view. We only paid 65 dollars for the night. The great thing about this place is that virtually all the rooms have ocean view. The pool was nice and the snorkeling was right off shore. It is located next to the Coral Princess which was pacted.
This hotel was just about empty. The hotel is old but the rooms were very clean and modern with a remote control air conditioner so us fat gringos dont have to move. The staff was very friendly. I dont know if I would want to stay here for seven nights but it is definately a good place to stay for a couple of nights if you are traveling to a couple of different places like playa del carmen/tulum. You should also consider staying here if you are on a tight budget. I decided to stay here because I wanted an ocean view room which I didnt get at the Coral Princess."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of February 2004

2003 Fontan status

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Yes we went to Cozumel in 03 and stopped by the Fontan. The hotel is reopened under new management and has no affiliation with Fun Club.
Apparently many people bought into the hotel and also fun club thinking that they were the same thing. Fun club is a different entity that is still in business. We used them in 2002, and they put us in the La Ceiba/El Cid, a very nice place close to the cruise ship pier for $45.
a night. They brought us soda & booze to the hotel for us, and supplied us with rental discounts. La Ceiba is right on the water, go can snornkel and see a downed plane. In 2002 we visited Park Royal, went through 3 sales reps, and finally the last guy offered us 2 weeks at $800, they gave 2 certificates to be used at any time. It is an all inclusive high rise hotel. Thats where we stayed in 2003, they offer 3 excellant meals a day. We are planning a return vacation in May 04 and will probably use our 2nd week at park royal, or call fun club and maybe saty at La Ceiba. Hope this is helpful.Tim & Ann"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of November 2003

Are you for real?

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"The Hotel Fontan is a hoax - or is if still a part of the Fun Club Cozumel. This is the hotel they brought people to buy timeshares saying they owned the hotel, when they really didn't. The person writing a review saying the Hotel Fontan was a dream come true.......is the only positive review I've read about this hotel...so I'm thinking this review is a hoax and writen by someone from the Hotel Fontan Fun Club Cozumel!"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2003

Everything was beyond my expectations

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"To Marie-Line Justice Manager of Hotel Fountain Carretera a San Juan, Km 2.5 Cozumel 77600 Mexico June 20, 2003 Dear Marie-Line, This is a letter of appreciation, not only for the service of the staff, and the rest I received due to it, but also for the smiles you and the people who work with you spread across my face. Everything I experienced when I stayed at your hotel was beyond any expectation I dreamed of. From the moment I arrived, your staff helped me forget the word 'stress' let alone what it feels like. The bed, the smiles, the food, the view and the location of Hotel Fountain all made my journey a lasting memory. The memory of pleasure is so strong that I will be making the long trip from Whitehorse, Yukon to the hotel where all my dreams were met. Hopefully within moments I will never forget the aura of kindness at the hotel. Thank you so much for everything. You made my trip an absolute fairy tale! Hope to see you all soon. Sincerely yours, Jennifer Roy"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2003

Stay away from the Hotel Fontan - Fun Club Cozumel - Timeshares

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We arrived at Cozumel Airport to find a man asking if we like to have fun (ride waver runners, enjoy drinks, dive, etc.)..we paid almost $100 for 5 adults for a 5 minute ride to our hotel at the Coral Princess Resort. If we wanted to get half back...we would need to attend a seminar next to our hotel at the Hotel Fontan (Fun Club Cozumel) ..which we did and shouldn't and was a mistake !!!!!

It was May 2001 - we were given plenty of drinks, food and was able to enjoy the day on their beach and use their wave runners. This one day of fun cost almost $11,000.
We bought a timeshare there...and was promised in our contract - a Presidential Suite plus wave runners, banana boat, sail boats, drinks, etc each time we stayed at the Hotel Fontan.

We tried staying there on our next return visit February 2002 to find the Hotel Fontan closed, which we weren't told until a day before we planned to leave for our vacation (after we had already bought airlines tickets). They booked us a nice room at the Coral Princess Club...but getting our paid drinks was a real pain....and no water toys to be found.

Appears....no hotel, no timeshare....BIG Ripoff at Hotel Fontan, Fun Club Cozumel!!!!!!!!

I do recommend a stay at the Coral Princess Resort (next to the closed Hotel Fontan Club)...I've stayed there a few times and it's always nice.
Avoid all timeshares in Cozumel !!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of June 2002

Fontan Cozumel

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Do not stay at the Fontan unless you make sure they have cleaned up their act.
When I was there, no kitchen, no water, no service. I had to sue my travel agent for a partial refund. My advise to anyone going anywhere is call and verify that what is advertised is in fact still available. I certainly learned a very valuable lesson."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of May 2002

Hotel Fontan Cozumel

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"I booked my vacation through Funjet Vacations and am still trying to get my money returned to me. It was a nightmare. This was our 4th visit to Cozumel. We usually stay at the Sol Cabanas.

You are correct that the Fontan is now in the timeshare business. It is not clear who owns the hotel. As a paying guest, we were not allowed access to the restaurant (which was closed and undergoing renovations). We were not given hot water because they were repairing the pipes. The water was very, very salty.

The final straw was when the water was turned off completely and they would not turn it back on.

I left in tears and my vacation was ruined. I have NEVER encountered such deplorable treatment in my life. I loved Cozumel. I will not be returning."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of March 2002