Great deal in Playa

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My wife and I spent two weeks at the hotel during the end of the “low” season and were very pleased with our experience. As many have already noted, it is new, clean and staffed with friendly and competent professionals. It is not located right on Quinta Avenida (main tourist walking mall) so you will have to walk 10 minutes (+ or -) to get there but, with all the eating we were doing in Playa’s wonderful restaurants, we viewed this as part of a much-needed exercise routine. If you don’t like the walk, you can take the shuttle or hop in a cab for quick ride to wherever you need to go.

When I first started looking at accommodations, I wondered why so many people had given the hotel such a favorable review. It was “just” a Holiday Inn after all, right? The answer is simply “value”. You will be hard pressed to find a better deal in Playa. We booked on Travelocity and found the rooms for $54/night + tax. The rate includes a very significant breakfast buffet of eggs, beans, tostones, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal (not the best type – usually sugar bomb titles that’ll make most parents with little children cringe), toast, coffee, juice, etc. We had breakfasts in town that cost $7 per person that were similar so the Holiday Inn buffet is a great steal. Please note that if they are very busy, it will take them a while to replace items.

Also included in the rate is use of the beach club. Beaches in Mexico are all open to the public but many places (hotels, restaurants, condo associations) own the land right in front of the beach and set up clubs of chairs, umbrellas, day beds, etc. that are for the exclusive use of their clientele. Non-members have to stake out a spot in the sand and set up for themselves. As a guest, you get to grab one of the chairs and start relaxing. There also are bathrooms, showers and mini-restaurant that serves snacks and drinks for guests. The beach here is gorgeous (check out pictures).

Rooms have a safe that my MacBook fit into nicely (larger laptops might not – it was a tight fit) plus all our other electronics and documents. The lobby/breakfast area has free wireless – you can use the internet connection in the room if you bring a LAN cable. There is a business center that has 3 PCs running Windows XP if you don’t bring your laptop to check email. Only one has Office installed.

Any complaints we had were minor: ice machine is broken and doesn’t look like it will return to action ever, the pool is quite small, it took a while to replace food when very busy in the morning, etc. These were all things that, if we were paying twice or three times as much, we might consider to be legitimate, but, the fact of the matter was, we were paying economy prices and receiving anything but economy-level amenities and service.
This hotel is a steal if you are willing to put up with its minor imperfections."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of May 2008

Great Value!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at Holiday inn, PDC for 10 days and really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was really good and the staff was excellent. The hotel is located 15 mins walk from the main area i.e 5th ave. We walked all the time from 5th ave to the hotel. Cabs are $4 each way which is not too bad. The only negative I have is that there are no restaurants close by ( holiday inn does not have a evening bar).. so if you want to have a snack.. you need to go to 5th ave. There is a grocery store "Chedraui" walking distance from Holiday inn and we went and brought snacks from there so when we were in the room we had some things to eat if we needed.

The Front office personel was very friendly and helpful and so were the gals at the travel agency ( conceirge service).

The Beach club was a good feature too as they have a private area to hang around on the beach. There is a bus every hour from 10 am to take you to the club.

Overall the place was clean, good value for money, room was quite and not problem. We will go there again in a heartbeat."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of April 2008

Best bed in Playa

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"My adult daughter and I stayed at the HIE the first week in March. I booked the room using Priority Club points.

This was my 8th trip to this area so I knew where the hotel was located and planned accordingly.

We took the ADO bus from the airport and jumped in a cab for the 3 minute ride to the hotel.

Checkin was fast and easy, I had requested a pool view away from the elevator and I got just that. I had requested 2 beds and got that too. Thanks to Ceasar for making sure my requests were granted.Everyone at the desk spoke very good english, I just wish my visitors spanish was as good.

The large room was very clean as was the pool and all public areas. The airconditioning was cold and as mentioned in the title of this review, the beds were on a par with this chains' very comfortable beds in the US. Not the typical cement slab that passes for a bed in this part of the world. The first day our room did not get cleaned till after 4 so I asked at the desk if they could clean our room early in the day, guess what? Every day after that it was clean by the time we came back.

The breakfast each morning was very good, specially the coffee and fresh sliced fruits.

The shuttle was fairly useless to us in the morning as we were on the beach much earlier than 10:30. That said we did use it most evenings to go into town. Catching a taxi was very easy, just step outside and they will look for you as they drive by or the very helpful sercurity staff will hail one for you.

We never did go to the "Beach Club" the ladies in the lobby were urging us to go to but that was because I have seen and heard just about every timeshare come on there is in Playa and I knew better.

There were a few hiccups in service, the maid would leave coffee, but no cups or bottled water. We did have lukewarm showers one day. Our key cards didn't work more than once, thanks to the secuirty guard that saw me struggling with it and literally ran it back to the desk to have it fixed!

We stayed here to save some money this trip but I would be very likely to stay there again even if I had to pay for the room."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2008

Very clean, new, but could have been better -- one big complaint

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"The hotel is quite comfortable and kept very clean.

The outdoor pool & seating area was very nice, though not as large as photos make it appear. It more than met the needs of my teen son.

There is a grocery/department store (a lot like a Walmart) about two blocks away. I was able to pick up some fruit, sunscreen, and some other sundries conveniently. (But definitely not any cheaper than the U.S.)

I was pleased with the generous buffet breakfast which offered fresh fruit, sweet bread, yogurts, eggs, toast, bacon, cereal. I was particularly fond of the Mexican hot chocolate, which I hadn't had in years. However, it was the same every single day with the exception of the "chaquiles" breakfast casserole which had a slightly different recipe every other day. Still, it was of sufficient variety and gave us more than enough fuel for much of the day, AND it was complimentary w/ room.

The shuttle to downtown is quite convenient. Keep in mind, it does not provide a return trip. The walk back from the beach or beginning of 5th Ave is about 1 km or leisurely 15 min walk. Definitely not arduous. I took a taxi once, after dinner, because it was dark and I was tired. However, one can walk back to the hotel on a pleasant Playacar (gated community) street that runs parallel to the Aeropuerto Drive (which is grimy or under construction for a block or two).

The staff are pleasant and try to be helpful - but weren't always able tor resolve problems.

I reserved two rooms for our trip. One room was very musty smelling and air conditioning helped but didn't eleminate. I think they need to ensure good ventilation even if the room is not occupied. The other room seemed much fresher. Unfortunately, one of the rooms lost air conditioning the last two days. Despite two visits from the mechanic who "fixed" it, my sister slept w/o a/c two nights. Nights were fairly cool, and even though the windows don't open, the fan did work and it was tolerate. However, I think the room would have been unbearable in any warmer month.

Also, we didn't have hot water for 3 days. One could get clean, because the water is tepid, but it wasn't pleasant. Again, it took 3 days to get the boiler fixed. This hotel is obviously very new and I can't understand why there wasn't any kind of backup built in.

There are no onsite laundry facilities. It's impossible for a swimsuit to dry overnight, so bring a spare.

My biggest complaint: The hotel is a "feeder" to the Fisherman Resort on the beach (a Sunset property). On our first afternoon, I agreed to listen to a 90 min "fractional ownership" presentation (i.e., timeshare) on the resort. (I'd never gone to one before) The resort was pleasant, on the beach, etc. I did not discount the possibility of perhaps purchasing. However, my husband, sister and I were kept prisoner for nearly 3 hours trying to extricate ourselves from the "good cop (a lovely young woman)/bad cop" routine of salesmanship. I was certainly NOT going to make a commitment of $70,000 with 12% interest rate and sign on the dotted line within 5 minutes of having contract pages shoved under our noses. I finally stopped trying to be polite and just said we'd had enough and not to bother with the free Xel Ha ticket but that we just wanted to get out of there and get a ride back to the hotel. We were funneled through two more sales people before we got our ride back. The ticket was offered - somewhat belligerantly. (If I'd known my way around already, I could easily have walked back.) I can only wonder at the very diverse comments I've seen at the Fisherman Resort reviews and am suspicious that some of the positive reviews may be "plants." I would never make that financial commitment without investigating the company, the management, the legal contract, etc. The sales reps are extremely pushy in trying to get a signature on that piece of paper.

I may indeed use Holiday Inn Express again. My nightly rate was $60 and w/ the generous breakfast, pool & shuttle service, I feel I got a good deal. But, I will never let the travel agent/concierge convince me to listen to a timeshare presentation again. I'm still thinking about a timeshare, but I think I'll try to work directly with an owner when I'm ready."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

nice place....minor flaws

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"This hotel was very clean and good value for money.

I paid $65 a night. It goes up a little more at weekends. Can probably be had for $55 on hotwire.com
There is a 12 % tax to be added.

Breakfast is included in price. Suprisingly good coffee, good juices, fresh fruit, eggs refried beans and tortilla chips, salsas. Toast jam and yogurts.

Hotel is a 10 minute walk from town ( 5th Avenue ) and 15 minutes to the beach.

There is a shuttle bus that runs to the beach club abd town, every hour but it starts at 10:30 AM and ends at 6:30 PM. The shuttle service could be a lot better.

A taxi will cost $4 - 5 in peak season. Best to ask if they will take you for $3. Tipping is not given for taxi unless exceptional service is added.

There was little sign of management at the hotel and few english speakers, even at the front desk.

Rooms have coffee makers, cable TV, air con, but no refrigerator. Beds comfortable. A free bottle of water put in room every day and usual soaps and shampoo.

The hotel is on the outskirt of the main town. It is a 5 minute walk from a supermarket and McDonalds.

On Sunday evening there was a lovely church service in the breakfast room with locals and hotel guests.

There is a bar by the pool area but only saw open on Saturday night.

I would recommend this hotel as good value for money.

It would be a super hotel if:

shuttle bus started at 8:30 AM
refrigerator in room
english language classes for staff
a computer was available in lobby $5 for 30 minutes
bike rental for $ 5 a day or $3 for half day
hotel was non smoking in lobby area
a clock in the lobby area
a notice board in lobby area with information given out in English and Spanish"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of February 2008

Very pleased.

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed here 12/4-12/11 and were very pleased with the hotel. A little off the tourist track and not on the beach but within walking distance to grocery store, the beach and shopping/dining on 5th Avenue. A scheduled courtesy shuttle takes guests to a beach club in a private area which has chairs, kayaks and food available. They also have 2 other stops at ADO bus station and 5th Avenue (shopping and restauraunts). The hotel was very clean and all staff were very friendly and accomodating to any of our needs. Beds were comfy. We would definately stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of December 2007

Never seen an Express so clean

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We, a dutch family of four, went touring Yucatan for a number of days this summer and ended up in this Holiday Inn Express on the edge of town (Playa del Carmen). Asked the locals several times for the adress of the hotel, but nobody knew. Finnaly found the modern hotel near the air strip. Hotel is quite new, the smell of fresh cement and paint hangs in the hallways, but isn't a nuisance. Room (double, double) was large, light, and very neat . Bathroom was very clean and made of nice materials. We slept in several HI Expresses in States en Europe, but this one was in our experience one of the best we'd ever stayed in. Personel wasn't internationally orientated, but really made an effort for all the guests. Breakfast was included and consisted of larger diversity of products than we'd expected. If you're on the road, touring or just passing through I would surely recommend this hotel. Near the main road, petrol stations and only 10 minutes walking from town centre."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

Fantastic staff, can't praise them enough!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"All I have is praise for the hotel and its staff. My husband, myself and two children were meant to be staying at a hotel in Cozumel and upon arrival were told we had to leave and go to the mainland as Hurricane Dean was due to hit in a couple of days. We have never been in this situation before, we very stressed and anxious, and the two ladies on reception were great, especially Karla (I hope I have her name right). They went beyond the call of duty to help us, making phone calls for us and answering our many questions. We speak very little Spanish and it was no trouble at all for them to help us contact the airport, bus station and even order us some food to be delivered when we arrived! A HUGE thank you to you both, for your patience, sense of humour and all of your help! The other staff were also friendly and very helpful.

The hotel itself is very modern, clean, spacious and has a lovely pool, with pool towels available. There is a coffee maker available in the room. The breakfast is good, with a variety of food available, and lots of delicious fresh fruit. It isn't far from the activity in Playa del Carmen, a 10 minute walk or a very short taxi ride. There are three computers available for use (all with Internet access), and printing/office facilities. Drinks and confectionary are available from a vending machine.

This is one of the best short stay hotels I have stayed in, and would have no reservations about staying there again."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of August 2007

Great Hotel for the value

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Stayed 7 nights at the hotel. Although, Travelocity had messed up my reservation, the hotel management and team did the best to provide me what I needed. The hotel is very clean. The staff was very nice and friendly. My only set-back would be my ability to access the internet, but that may be due to the security features with my laptop. Breakfast was not just a continental breakfast, eggs was inluded every morning. I thought breakfast was very good. The pool is also very pretty. The hotel is about 10 minutes walk to all the major restaurants and beach. This was not a bad walk, but there is also a shuttle that runs every hour from the lobby to the beaches and downtown. The way back we would walk or take a cab for about $4 dollars."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of March 2007

Not a great welcome for a Holiday Inn !!!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We are pretty laid back travelers so we are not expecting perfection ! I will start off with saying this hotel looks very nice !!!! we arrived and there were constuction workers out front so we pulled at the side of the hotel, security quickly came out and pointed us off the property we tried to tell them we are staying hear but they kept on telling us we had to go next door to park ???? so thinking maybe they were doing construction on the parking lot we went around the block ?? we found nothing ?? we then pulled in past the security and went up to the front door through 10 construction workers. we checked in. I think we were the only people in the hotel the first day. very nice room ! maid service was great ! breakfast was very good ! the next day I think the only ones in the hotel were us and a family they put in the two rooms across from our room they spent the next day 1/2 going in and out of there two rooms slamming the doors !! after 1 day of that I went to the front desk to change rooms and they said that family was leaving that day =) so we stayed in our room ! the rest of the week went fine. Cesar at the front desk helped us out with a parking ticket we recieved and he was helpful with other info ! The hotel was nice but its set up more for buisness people not really set up for vacationers, we kinda felt out of place. We stay in Holiday inn's all over, this did not feel like a Holiday Inn !"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of February 2007