About The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun

• diving
  • private pool

great place

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"great place great beach great locacation. dont know why people complained about this hotel sure the food and drinks were cost more than the bar etc. but they do in canada usa also. i would go back to this hotel in a heart beat. maybe right now. if icould"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of February 2003

Wonderful!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I went here for New Year's with my boyfriend. We really loved it! We got a really good deal on AAA so the price was much cheaper than other hotels for the few days over the holiday. And then we went to the Camino Real for the rest of the week. Although we had the discounted rate, we got upgraded to the pink tower without even asking, which had absolutely breathtaking views of the beach from a really wonderful balcony. The room was very simple, but I thought it was clean & appropriate for the beach climate.I think this hotel is good for a few days if you want to spend a quiet time away from other people. There are many pools and the ones near the pink tower are quieter with less people (along with the beach). The hotel seemed very relaxed & quiet. It is a bit far from downtown, so I think this would be better for people who want to relax. Another idea would be to do what we did, spend a few days here relaxing, then move to another hotel closer to downtown for the shopping, clubbing, etc. Since we were looking to relax for the first few days this place was perfect. The food was a little bit expensive but I found that to be the case pretty much everywhere in Cancun. And you can always take the bus right outside to go to restaurants along the main street. The 15 min to the airport is a plus as well. Staff was very nice as well. We had no problems during our stay here."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of February 2003

you'll love it!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"if you get the chance to go, do! ignore the bad reviews, you will have a great time. more swimming pools than you can ever use. miles and miles of beach. plenty of areas to sun: beach, pool. lagoon, etc. staff is friendly. great fitness center, tennis courts.

ask to be upgraded to the premier pink building for a fabulous room that is quiet.

one con: the food is terrible and overpriced. not at all westin quality. however, you can hop on the bus and go into town or walk on the beach to plenty of other hotels/restaurants.

great weather, warm sea. (unswimmable, however, but you can bodysurf)"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of January 2003

Beautiful, but far from action

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We were here from January 20-25

This resort was absolutely gorgeous! Every day, we found a new swimming pool and the rooms were pristine and well-kept. We got a great price on priceline ($75/night), which made it even better.

The hotel's architecture is airy and grandiose -- however, it is located at km 20, which is pretty far from the action.. there are only two resorts after the westin on the island, that's how far away it is. However, the bus is only 60 pesos (about $.50) and it takes you right into town.

The room was beautiful and large -- and had a super-comfortable king size bed. It also had an overpriced minibar -- a little advice -- go into town to Walmart or one of the supermarkets and grab some milk, cereal, beverages, and beer. Take everything out of the minibar fridge and put your own stuff in (just make sure to put the other stuff back before you leave, so you don't get charged.) We did this, eating breakfast in, and it saved us about $38/day for two people.

The food is at the Westin is pretty good, but really, really overpriced, like most food in Cancun.

The beach area was beautiful and clean, and there were plenty of palapas and lounge chairs to accomodate everyyone.

The main problem that we had was the presence of a HUGE conference for Dannon yogurt. They held huge, large parties at night (one until 1 a.m.) and on Saturday morning, we awoke to some obnoxious scavenger hunt-type DJ at 8:30 a.m., which was very unpleasant. This resort definitely caters to the larger groups as opposed to individual guests.

Also, we did receive 3 phone calls bugging us about buying a timeshare, but after the 3rd one woke me up hung over at 9 a.m. and I told the woman (in Spanish) to never call us back, that we had no interest in buying anything, we never heard from them again. So, make sure you tell them right off the bat that you have no interest whatsoever in buying a timeshare -- don't be passive and get angry.. just tell them right at the start. "No tengo ningun interes en comprar ningun "timeshare." will work fine for you.

Have a great time!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of January 2003

5 star, we need to talk

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Just back from 8 nights (mid feb. ) at the Westin Regina. As with all hotels there are pros and cons.

Pros....
1)great ocean view from the 6th floor
2)front desk staff very friendly
3) beds are westin perfect.
4) showers have lots of hot water and pressure
5) close to airport
6) bus stops in front
7) free cocktail hour and cont. breakfast to those staying on the 6th floor
8) pool and beach area small but adequate

Cons...
1) 45-60 minutes bus ride to downtown Cancun
2) free breakfast and cocktail hour are basically a secret unless you know to ask.
3) far from the 5 stars as advertised
4) restaurants very expensive with breakfast buffet charging $17.00 usd each, menus only slightly different
5) Cocktails and beer very expensive.

For the money I would go elsewhere next time. Not that the hotel is bad because it isn't. Simply put, there are others that are much better. I read reviews after booking my reservation and would have probably gone elsewhere had I read prior. I was expecting the worst and it started that very way upon check-in. Having pre-paid for a balcony ocean view room, I was slightly miffed when told all these rooms were occupied but I could have a pool side room at the same price. After a small amount of discussion, it was decided that due to the late hour of our check-in (11:00pm), I would accept the pool side room for the night and move upstairs the next day ;which happened as promised. If the pool side room is indicative, I would NEVER accept anything but one of their more upscale rooms. The ground level is noisy and in much dis-array. The hotal is very close to Club Med with all its party atmosphere. Music at CM starts about 11:00 pm and doesn't end until 4-5:00 am. Without the stiff ocean breeze and breaking waves, one would never sleep.
Again, not a bad hotel but not what you expect from a Westin property. Make sure you're getting a great deal compared to other hotels or go elsewhere."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of January 2003

Chose Elsewhere

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"If you have a chance to stay elsewhere you should do so. This hotel should be renamed the holiday inn because that is what the hotel resembles. When you stay at a Westin they are known for first-class service that is not true in this case."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of January 2003

The worst Westin experience

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Just returned from staying at the Westin in Cancun over Christmas. I have been to a lot of Westins, since I am a starwood member. Although I found the staff at the Westin very nice, the hotel has many problems. First off, it is very far from midtown Cancun. A taxi ride will cost you $15.00 into Cancun and $15.00 back to the hotel. So before you even have dinner, you have already spent $30.00.
The food at the hotel is unbearable and expensive. They also make you wait forever to get the food and then forever again to get your check.
If you like the sun, don't go to the Westin. The sun is at the front of the property in the morning and then you need to move to the back of the property for the afternoon. I found that rather wierd. But don't worry, because everyone had to relocate. They don't have a hot tub outside to enjoy, the ones they do have by the lagoon area, are cold. Whol ever heard of a cold hot tub.
There was one day where room service forgot to clean my daughter's room and leave towels for our room. There is no turn down service or newspaper in the morning. You always have to call and ask for more towels. (which they do deliver promptly)
If you are looking for a good hotel with good food and a great beach, don't go to the Westin."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of January 2003

A Cut Above

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Nice hotel, hard working and professional staff, average food, and the best bed I've ever slept in!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of December 2002

If this is a six apple?...

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My wife and I were sent to this hotel for the day when our flight was delayed. So, we did not actually stay overnight so I can't speak to the quality of the rooms. We had stayed at the Riu Palace for a week and we were astonished by the lack of quality at the Westin Regina Cancun:

Food: The main resturant (Playamar?) was terrible. The selection was nil and the food was bad. The service was also lacking.

The Beach and Pool: Not bad but small.

The location: Good, if you like being completely isolated. The nearest shopping and restaurant is a minimum $15 round trip taxi ride.

The lobby and surrounding area decor: Reminded me of Miami Vice and it looked as though they have not been updated since the hotel opened. The furniture was pink and purple with stains and burn holes and very uncomfortable. The bathrooms were dirty, the floor tile was cracked and the paint was peeling (like something you would expect to see in a truckstop off I-80).

I felt that it was my obligation to warn people that this place is not as advertised. Apple has it listed as "six apples" and my wife and I can not figure this out."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of December 2002

Great time!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I stayed at the Westin Regina on Nov. 23-30. I
have been to Cancun before and previously stayed at the Fiesta Americana Condesa (wonderful hotel by the way). I was extremely reluctant to stay at the Westin based on some of the reviews I have read on this site and an additional site. But because of the great deal that our travel agent found, we decided to take our chances and stay at the Westin... but we reminded each other not to expect too much. We arrived at the hotel very early - 7 AM (our flight left Detroit at 5 AM). We didn't expect to be
given a room, but immediately were given our key. The conceirge did ask us once about seeing the time share presentation but after we said that we weren't interested...we were not approached again. Our room was great. It isn't a brand new hotel...but it's clean. The prices are expensive...but they were also expensive at the Fiesta Americana Condesa. That is to be expected when you travel. We did visit the grocery stores for water and snacks instead of using the mini-bar. We ate breakfast
at the hotel but ordered off the menu instead of the expensive buffett. We only ate lunch on the beach once and it was expensive ($30 for 2 of us)... but we enjoyed taking the short ride to town to eat at the chain restaurants anyways. The pool area and beach were wonderful. I am a beach person rather than a pool person and I was worried because I didn't read many comments on the beach. I thought the beach area was nice. It wasn't a huge area...but it was bigger than I expected and there
was plenty of places to relax. I would have liked an outdoor hottub, but the indoor one was nice. I was disappointed that the gym requires an extra fee to use but I believe that most hotels charge a fee as well (the hottub is free). We went running outside instead of paying the fee because there is a great trail that runs along the road going back towards the airport (and we'd rather be outside anyways). It begins right outside of the Westin. The staff was friendly (front desk, beach waiters, bellhops). The ride seemed very short to get to the shopping/restaurant areas. I would definitely return to the
Westin."