About The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun

• private beach
  • evening entertainment

Wow,Resort is fantastic

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We spent Dec.5th-12th here in a 1 bedroom on the 5th floor and all I can say is wow!!!Cannot wait to go back. See my post under Westin Lagunarmam now open- and the 1st. post gives a great description of the units. We are Starwood owners and this was a trade for us."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of December 2008

Not ready for prime time

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Recently completed a week stay at this resort, and the main thing I can say is it's not ready for prime time just yet. If you only read a sentence of this review, read this one... wait until they finish it and it completely opens in 2010. Otherwise, lower your expectations quite a bit and maybe then you'll have a much better time.

For a more formal review, let me start with the positives. This resort has a very nice pool area, with access to a nice pool bar, many chairs to take some sun and a couple of jacuzzis that overlooks the sea. The resort also has two dining areas (one for lunch next to the main pool, one for dinner and events close by). Both offer decent meals at decent prices (40 bucks for a meal for 2 without wine), and good service. If you are more selective than I am and are looking for high-end luxury dining, go somewhere else, or you might be disappointed. The villas are very stylish, modern and nicely appointed with appliances, enough to guarantee you should be comfortable during your stay. Obviously, everything is brand new at this time since the resort opened in August/September.

For the most part, however, the resort is just not ready for customers expecting Westin brand quality service. Let me explain. The bellboy did not know how to get to the room, spent about 30 hour walking around the resort, needed several people to find it. Once inside the villa, started noticing details that just showed the hotel management did not really inspect the villa before opening. For example, appliances like the microwave and dvd were not plugged in (and not necessarily an intuitive thing to find for some people). Batteries were missing in some of the remote controls (someone finally replaced the batteries at some point while I was not in the villa, just walked in and out without notice or anything). Jacuzzi jets not working because the electricity breaker was off. Washer didn't turn on because of no cold water coming in through the water line. Appliance manuals were thrown in inside dryer. Garbage disposal appliance was missing a piece, so it leaked into the kitchen floor (spent more than an hour with maintenance guy fixing it middle of day). Maintenance folks drilling and hammering at sign in hallway in front of door at 5pm in the afternoon while I was sleeping (and workers ignored me after I asked them what was going on.. in Spanish). Concierge desk people not knowledgeable about a tour I was interested in. Granted, none of these things are vacation ending, but to keep finding one thing after another from a Westin resort, really frustrated me after a couple of days. Maintenance guys wanted to fix something one day in the breaker panel, walked in middle of morning and said they were going to turn power off in the villa for 30 minutes without asking.

So, as you can see, even though I expected seeing the construction workers walking around, the closed buildings (4 of 9 buildings still were closed), evidence of construction everywhere, one of the 2 main pool areas not built at all, etc, etc.. I did not expect to be having a hard time fixing things, and waiting for the maintenance guys, or trying to figure out how to plugin the microwave. In my opinion, this resort is not ready for prime time, so I suggest you wait a bit until they completely open it in 2010. Maybe then they will have figured out that if you call the front desk to speak with a manager, it's not ok to have them not call you and have you go to the front desk the next day to complain. I really have never had a bad experience like this with any of the other Starwood properties, but this one left me wishing I was somewhere else. And no, I did not stay there for free."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

Wonderful Place to Stay!!!

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We are never disapointed by Westin and this resort lived up to our expectations. We were already members of Westins Vacation Ownership and could not wait to see the newest member to their properties. The location is perfect. Right in the middle of town with the Isla mall just accross the street and the bus stop just a stones throw away. We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite and it was beautiful. The decorations and furnishings were top end and very contemporary without being cold. As always we are spoiled to having a seperate bedroom and our own kitchen. We always save so much money by eating breakfast in our suite and then splurging for either lunch or dinner. The pool was huge and had a beautiful view out over the ocean. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. We were given great advice as to which tours to take and what not to miss. We loved it so much that we increased our points with the vacation ownership program so that we could visit more often. This trip was just for me and my husband but can't wait to take the kids back!!!

CDAVIS
Frisco, Texas"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of December 2008

Absolutely fantastic

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"My two sisters and I stayed at the Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort for 4 nights to celebrate my sisters 60th birthday. I own with Westin and wanted to give this new place a try. It was unbelievable, far exceeded my expectations as well as my sisters. The property is beautiful but the best part is all the rooms are ocean view and what a view it is. The pool is so beautiful, it's an infinity pool so it looks like it flows right into the ocean. The resort is located in a very nice area. A nice shopping mall right across the street and many other restaurants and shops all within walking distance. All of the staff were very courteous and spoke english well. Our favorite waiter was "Willie" from the pool bar and restaurant. Also Lucio the concierge was wonderful. I had arranged for him to put a bottle of wine and flowers in our room for my sister. They were beautiful and the wine was wonderful. My sister was so excited. He also arranged transportation to and from the airport and had good recommendations for day trips and dinning.
The room we had was a studio, which was fine for us. It was very nice. The trip was fantastic and I will be going back. I would highly recomend this resort."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of December 2008

Very Nice and New

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Brand New and a very nice Westin Vacation Property. It's a timeshare so a lot of the units are 2br lockouts that can be split into 1br and studio. The 2br sleeps up to 8 easily.

Stainless appliances, lcd tvs, granite countertops, whirlpool in master, washer and dryer in both sides (2 sets in a 2br!).

Typical Westin Style throughout....colors are a little bright on outside but inside is tastefully done.

Great stainless steel grills outside.....very high end.

Mayan ruins next door that is pretty cool.

Kids- slide for kids, chess table, lots of activities....great for families.

Very nice mall across street with Johny Rocket, Starbucks, and high end stores.

HIGHLY RECCOMEND.....SURE DEALS WILL BE AVAILABLE WHILE THEY TRY TO SELL."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of December 2008

The Pool, The Grounds, The Staff!!!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Stayed in a two bedroom lock off with my wife and another couple the last week of October. Weather was a bit colder than I would like, but trip was a big hit.

The resort is new and in great shape. The condo rooms are absolutely beautiful. All of the appliances and furniture are top notch.

The check in process was a bit slow, but not too bad.

Things that were great:
- The Activity team. 4 younger people that ran the activities around the pool. Very well done and into their jobs. They really made the pool a fun place to hang out.
- The Pool/Bar. The pricing at the pool bar was really great. Pricing in line with what you would pay at an Applebees or TGIF's, but with much better food. Tacos were our fav. The staff at the bar and pool restaurant were great too.
- Concierge. The Concierge group was really top notch. Set up us with two great day trips (Chicen Itza and Isle Mujeres) both of which were great.

Things that were not great:
- The Oceanier restaurant was only OK. It did not have a lot of traffic, and I am sure it will improve, but our meals were only OK there.
- Workout area - This area does not look like it is quite ready. I have a feeling once the whole place is open that they will have staff down there, but as it is, it was pretty much a bunch of equipment and a shower room. Not quite as lush or accommodating as other Westin workout areas

I feel like I write the same review every time I visit a Westin location. The bar is set high and the team at Lagunamar really came through."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2008

Amazing time at Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I hadn't been on a vacation in 10 years so when my boyfriend told me that we had been invited by his best friend to join him and his wife in Cancun... I was thrilled! The resort has only been open for a month and a half and there is still construction going on because they are building an adult only wing to the resort.

The staff is amazing. We went during the off season so the resort was pretty empty, but the staff was always smiling... always helpful and always fun.

The infinity pool looking out at the ocean is awesome but it's very shallow... more like a kiddy pool. The perk of this pool is the swim up bar where they will make you the most amazing Cadillac Margarita."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Lovely Hotel, Terrible Beach, Questionable Ethics"\

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My main complaint is the "vacation ownership tour" they push on you. The concierge promises a $100 credit to your bill. I took the bait, sat through the presentation, but did not buy. The salesman became obviously agitated and made sure I knew about it. Long story short, the $100 never showed up on my bill and I'm still waiting after numerous complaints to management.

This hotel is new (only 2 of 6-7 buildings open) when I stayed there in October and unfortunately some of the staff is still a bit clueless. Nicely furnished studios, 1 and 2 br villas. Pools and fountains are nice, but the beach is terrible. There has been so much erosion of the natural beach and the Westin is built so high up, it's a huge slope down to the water. Walking on sloped sand is a challenge and you can only go four hotels to the north, before you have to turn back due to one of the hotels building a concrete bulkhead (to keep it out of the ocean) and at high tide, you would have to swim around the concrete wall to keep walking on the beach. I was shocked at how much beach Cancun has lost since my last visit 5 or so years ago.

There is a Mayan ruin next to the hotel that is literally a stone throw from your balcony. Frankly, I'm surprised the Westin didn't knock it down so they could add a few more rooms. What a shame. But that's probably the fault of the Mexican govt who will build anything, anywhere for money.

A few more warnings...
1.the hot water in the kitchen/bath is so hot, it will scald you
2.the exterior corridors are pitch dark (no lights) at 530am
3.the elevators still need some work-take the stairs.

Finally, Cancun has lost much of it's charm to overdevelopment. If and when I go there again, I will head south to the Tulum area before that becomes another concrete jungle."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of October 2008

Enjoyed the Westin Lagunamar!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just ended a week (Aug 30 - Sept 6) at the Westin Lagunamar. The hotel had just opened two weeks prior to our arrival. We were the first to stay in our studio room. A few minor issues due to new staff and new facilities. No big complaints.

The studio room was fine for my husband and I. Decent sized bathroom, kitchenette, queen sized bed, loveseat, table and two chairs. Not a lot of closet space, but fine for two light packers. The room would have felt small with more than two adults staying.

The infinity pool was beautiful. They did a wonderful job on designing the grounds and public spaces. Because the Westin just opened and there were only a few guests there, we felt like we had the pool to ourselves. However, the pool is large and there are plenty of lounge chairs when it becomes more crowded.

The food was good and the food and beverage staff was friendly. We ate lunch by the pool each day. Get the Pepito steak sandwich. We also ate in the hotel restaurant Oceano on two evenings. We thought the prices were good for a resort ($12 for chicken fajiatas, $17 for mahi mahi, $29 for ribeye and mashed potatoes) and the quality was good. There is also a market onsite where you can purchase food and beverages for your room. It just opened before me left so we did not do a lot of shopping there. The prices seemed decent, but the bottled water was cheaper at the convience stores at La Isla shopping center across the street.

We ate at the La Madonna restaurant at La Isla where we enjoyed good food and good service. We also ate at another restaurant at La Isla (name forgotten) which overlooked the dophins (mama and baby) and had reasonable prices. A meal at La Distilleria (which was a short walk away) was tastely and the staff was friendly. We also ate the Harry's Steakhouse which had been recommended to us. Although the atmosphere was beautiful and the rock shrimp appetizer delicious, the steaks were overpriced and not of good quality. I would not return there.

We would definately return to the Westin Lagunamar just to enjoy the beautiful pools and sea views."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of September 2008

Excellent

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"This hotel is great... BRAND NEW!!! It just opened on the 15th of August. It is INCREDABLE!!! Right on the water, wonderful beaches"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2008

Cancun as a destination has to be the id...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"Cancun as a destination has to be the ideal place for anyone and everyone, it simply has the whitest sand and bluest sea you will EVER see, I guarantee it. Whether you are in search of a relaxing beach holiday, active water sports holiday, lively nights, and shopping or local history - Cancun has the lot! More importantly the loud clubbers don’t disturb the relaxing quiet holiday makers.

My hotel was ideally situated opposite a new shopping mall, with a great choice of places to shop and eat. Every single room in the hotel had a sea view.

I couldn’t fault the hotel or Cancun at all and can’t wait to go back!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004