About The Royal Islander All Suites Resort

• tennis court
  • swimup bar

Trip Report - Royal Islander - Incredible

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"I love the Royal Islander - here is a short review and some pix to share.

Resort: Royal Islander

I arrived at the Royal Islander and since I knew which room was my parents I went right up. Unfortunately they were not there - but the bellman met me there with my luggage - he was SO quick! Anyway we both went back to the front desk where I got checked in - very quickly. This place is absolutely beautiful. The Royal Islander is gorgeous from the lobby, through the pools and right through the rooms and down to the beach! I will post some pix of the room, pools and beach so you can see for yourself too. I had ordered some flowers to be delivered to my parents - 1 arrangement as a thank you for letting me join them in Cancun and the 2nd arrangement for Father's day. Both of the arrangements were more beautiful than I expected. One arrangement didn't have the card, and my parents as well as several people at the front desk were running around trying to figure out who the flowers were from until I got there. The resort in general is amazing. The people who work there - every single one I came across - seems to go out of their way to learn your name and make sure you have everything you need to have a great time! The restaurants were great too (more on them later) and the drinks from the pool bar were great. The sports desk people were really helpful too. I could not recommend this place highly enough. If I could afford it, or if I had time in my life to get a third job - I would so I could buy a timeshare there. Another amazing thing to me was the Royal shuttle. People who are staying at the Royal Resorts enjoy an air conditioned shuttle between the all the other Royal resorts and Captains Cove - nice bonus! Nice seats, Air conditioned and everything!

Dinner #1 Captains Cove - just down this hill fromt he Royal Islander

We walked down the hill to Captains Cove - it was nice outside so we didn't wait on the shuttle. We didn't have reservations but only had to wait 30 minutes so we sat outside by the pier and had a cocktail. I finally had my first Banana Monkey of the trip - yay! We also watched the Lobster dinner cruise load up and BOY am I glad I took everyone's advice not to do that with my parents. It was truly all couples and I would have felt really odd! Now on to dinner - awesome! I had crab stuffed shrimp that was out of this world yummy! The service was good too and they even had several large tables so we thought our dinner may be delayed but it was not slow at all. We also had a little bit of live entertainment. There were a couple lizards on the wall either doing a mating dance or a territory fight. We were not sure which one but it was very entertaining! For those of you who know about the alligator, it was a no show that night.

After dinner we came back to Royal Islander and sat out on the incredibly huge terrace and looked at the activities schedule for the week. They truly have all kinds of activities so that only those who wanted to be bored - could be bored. The terrace is huge, you can call it a veranda if you want! It is too big to be considered just a balcony. It had a full dining table with four chairs, a lounge chair, another 2 regular chairs and small table! It was rainy that night so my toes would have to wait to get into sand until tomorrow! Bummer but sitting out on the terrace was great and I was quite happy!

The breakfast buffet at Caya Largo is not to be missed. It is incredible and so amazing we ate there every morning. Different fresh juices everyday, made to order omelets and waffles (coconut -yum!) and eggs any way you want them, fresh fuit and pastries galore - plus the regular yummy items on the buffet as well.

I am attaching some pix too.

Kath in ATL"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

A week in paradise

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I went to Cancun with friends to celebrate turning 40. We were at the Islander at the height of "spring break" yet felt so very far away from it all. The Islander was the picture of peace and tranquility. Yes, we were excited each day at 3 pm when the bell rang to signal the beginning of happy hour. And, yes, Omar does make a wonderful pina coloda. However, we did not have to deal with unsightly/out of control drunks. The resort is a short bus ride away from the night life generally associated with Cancun - yet this did not appeal to us. I highly recommend a day at the spa - well worth your money. I also recommend swimming with the dolphins at Wet and Wild - again well worth the money. You must try the breakfast buffet at the Islander - you will not want another thing to eat all day. The red flags were waving our entire stay. As we live near Va Beach this was not an issue for us. We just enjoyed gazing at the beautiful blue water. Captains Cove is a must - try and make it over when they are feeding alligators from the pier. Sandy, our concierge, was wonderful - we were her 3 American princesses for the week. She made sure that we were aware of all activities and had necessary travel arrangements and reservations. Theresa in housekeeping did a wonderful job making sure our condo was spotless each day. The prices in the store are reasonable. It is certainly not worth the busride to shop at WalMart. I also can not recommend Market 28 unless you truly just want the experience of bartering for overpriced goods. Shop the malls instead - they will barter too. No time share pressure from anyone at the Islander or other Royal resorts. Overall a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2005

almost perfect

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Our party of 5 adults and my 5 year old daughter stayed here the first week of May.The grounds and pool areas are beautiful,as are the adjoining resorts and their facilities.The food and service are excelent and the villas are large and all have wonderful views.The problem was that we had to call maintenence at least once a day to fix things.Both tubs didnt drain,a faucet in each bathroom didnt work,the coffee maker was a disaster,the oven didnt turn off and the dish washer flooded the kitchen.All of these problems were fixed quickly when we called,but it seems a bit absurd that so many things were wrong with one villa.Also,our ¨consierge¨,whos job it was to get people to attend timeshare presentations,gave us the prior weeks activities list,so every time I wanted to take my daughter to something we had the wrong time.At check in,we told her we were in no way interested in attending a presentation,and to her credit,we were never bothered about it for the rest of the week.We went to Captins Cove,which is the Royal Resorts resturant off site,and it was excelent,with shuttle service provided.The resturant at the Mayan is also very good.The on site store is good and pretty complete with decent prices.WallMart is about a 30min unpleasant bus ride away and a $10 taxi ride back.I would stay here again without hesitation,but would hope to find things in better working order."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of May 2005

Royal Islander - Nice Grounds

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Our stay at the Royal Isalnader was basically very nice, however, renovation of all rooms and areas is on-going. While there, our bathroom ceiling panels came down at about 2:00 am. Luckily I had just finished using the facility otherwise the panels would have come down on my head. My husband and I had to complain to the front desk three times and because of the hour, only an inexperienced maintanence worker who barely spoke English came to look at the mess. Nothing could be done until morning. We were transferred temporarily for the night to a vacant room in another part of the building. The repairs were made while we were at the beach the next day. Management apologized for the inconvenience but did not offer any great restitution. Other than that unforseen interruption , the islander and it's two other ajoining complexes was geogeous, good food, good service and a wonderful spa.
The one bedroom suite was okay but the lockoff/hotel type rooms had a small screen TV approx 17-19 inches/ and a very small cubicle refrigerator.
The beach and the water were excellent. Watersports available.
Yes, we would return.
The Youngs- Brooklyn, NY/Aug 2004"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of March 2005

Liked the hotel, won't return to Cancun

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Stayed at the Royal Islander between January 8 - 15th, 2005. I travelled with a friend.

The resort is beautiful, extremely clean, quiet and well maintained. We stayed in the hotel room lock-off unit, which has two double beds, a safe, bathroom, A/C, full bathroom. Patio doors overlooked the pool with a partial view of the Carribean Sea. No real balcony in the lock off.

Our only real complaint is that there was no iron/ironing board in the room, despite being told prior to leaving Winnipeg that there was. When I asked for assistance, it was not provided without a fight. I have stayed in timeshares before, and notwithstanding that it's not a "hotel" I expect to receive equivalent levels of service and helpfulness, which in this case were excellent save for that one issue.

Everything is "for cost". The prices in the hotel restaurant were expensive, but probably on par with other restaurants in Cancun. Same with drinks.
Lots of older people and young families. Not so many mid-thirties/early forties couples. Few young adults travelling, but that may have been the time of year. Resort definitely and openly discourages rowdy spring breakers.

Sea was red-flagged every day. Not being one who loves the pool (which was basic and had lots of families), I didn't swim once all week.

The grocery store was well stocked, and the stores in the sister resorts, two of which are next door, along with their restaurants, provide easy diversity and some goods which were not at the Royal Islander.

Rental cars are not a bargain there. You can rent at Avis, a 10 min walk or, if you want to wait for the free shuttle to Captain's Cove, two minutes away -- we got a subcompact for $30.00 US a day -- note that if you have your own insurance and decline Avis's, they take a $1500.00 deposit on your credit card! We ended up taking the Mexican insurance through avis, which still made the car rental about $50.00 for the day. Do not drive on the highway at night -- the stories you hear about local drivers are all true -- a harrowing experience I would not repeat - note that it's dark around 6pm, so plan your excursions carefully so as to arrive at your final desitination for the day around that time.

Tulum was not all it's cracked up to be -- if you are into diving or snorkelling definitely hit Hidden Worlds Cenotes about 10 minutes away from Tulum proper. You can snorkel or SCUBA dive in several underground wells - cenotes - and the experience is not one to be missed! The highlight of our trip, truly. The stalagtites and stalamites were incredible.

Felt totally safe, but harassed by timeshare people at every turn outside the resort. The ones at the resort took no for an answer, but being approached everywhere was a pain. Have been to other sun destinations, but found Cancun singulary unpleasant in this regard and will not return. Perhaps the Mayan Riviera, though."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of March 2005

Fine place... but if you want quaint and quiet....

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Look people... you can't possible go to Cancun looking for solitude. Rule out Playa Del Carmen, too. If you want solitude, forget the coast and head to a medium sized interior colonial town [Valladolid comes to mind]. I'm not sure want people expect when they hear or read "resort," but solitude is rare in such cases. They are execptions, but not many.
This place is just fine as Cancun goes. Boredom here is your own fault. Staying in Cancun for an entire week without getting out to some ruins or reefs is a real shame... don't do that. Also, get into town mid-day and go to a market and mingle with REAL MEXICANS. I like Buffet, but I have no need for a cheeseburger in paradise!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of March 2005

they canceled the meal plan during president week

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I went down to the islander during presidents week and found out two days before they cancelled the meal plan and when I was leaving cancun they reinstated the plan.So during that week they made me pay full price for the meals except one day they had one special welcome day ,which included breakfast,lunch and dinner for one day. but after I bought that plan I found out it was for one restraunt .And the night manager said they could not do anything for me .The conceige(Giovona) said dont worry ,everything will be fine.she was no help at all except to try to send me to a salesman to by a new timeshare .when ever I had a question she said she did not understand english.there is better places to go in cancun."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005

A great relaxing resort!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Just returned from the Islander last week (January 22-29, '05) and I wish I could go back right now! First off, our timeshare was great, though we didn’t spend much time inside. There were six of us staying in the two-bedroom, two-bath suite and we all had plenty of room. The Murphy beds in the living room were a helpful addition as was the kitchen space and utensils.

We were also impressed with the facilities available on-resort, i.e. the restaurants and the grocery store. Prices were very affordable (and I’m a miser), plus the food was delicious. Another perk? You get to use the facilities of all the Royal Resorts. One night was crazy Caribbean night at the Islander (something we weren’t much in the mood for), so we just walked to the next resort and had the casual, yummy dinner we were hoping for. (Try the chicken fingers at the Royal Carribean!) Plus, everyone was given their own resort card to charge things to so we didn’t have to worry about splitting the bill up at the end of our stay – what a lifesaver!

We did make it over to the Royal Sands spa as well – something I highly recommend. The Sands was a bit more upscale, likely because it’s newer, but also more crowded. We liked the atmosphere of the Islander better with its winding pools and casual attitude. Lots of families and retirees kept things calm and ideal. The beach was also fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. Heck, we even enjoyed corny activities like crafts, casino night and the welcome party. Why not!? We’re on vacation!

Finally, the people that work at the Islander are one of its greatest assets. We especially loved Albert the towel guy and Manual the beachside bartender (of course). Get a large Banana Monkey at happy hour – they’re delicious!

One more thing - we slept every night with the doors WIDE OPEN so we could hear the beach all night. How I miss it so!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of February 2005

Very Nice if you're not looking for local charm

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We just returned from the Royal Islander and had a very nice time. We were on the 9th floor with a 1 bedroom suite (complete with full kitchen) that had a beautiful ocean and pool view. It was very spacious and clean. The hotel is very well maintained. In fact, my husband, a stickler for this sort of thing, really looked for any maintenance flaws (peeling paint etc..) and couldn't find a thing wrong with the place... not a bug.. nothing!!

The room was very comfortable and a safe place for crawling baby and 2 1/2 year old. The service staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We were provided with a nice crib for our baby and 2 high chairs (a huge relief not to have to bring those things). A minor complaint with regards to that, we had to call and request these things several times but they did arrive eventually and we were never desperate for them.

We loved the convenience store on site which provided a great service...we were able to do online grocery shopping and have a "kitchen start up" bag of groceries in our suite upon arrival. Some of those in our group went to Wal Mart (not my idea of a cancun vacation) to stock up on supplies for the kitchen, but we found everything we needed in the well stocked convenience store which, in my opinion, was maybe a little more expensive than Wal Mart, but very fairly priced and a heck of a lot closer.

The beach was great and where we spent most of our time. Complete with lounge chairs, shade when needed, and prompt food and beverage service, it was a great place for a day of sandcastles and sitting in the rolling tide. Our kids aren't ready to go into the water, so we really didn't try to swim, but some of the older kids in our group didn't like it as much because of rocks on a part of the beach that made it less safe for swimming. Those kids went to the Royal Sands and used their beach. The pool was nice to look at, but wasn't heated so I found it very uncomfortable and not suitable at all for an 8 month old. My 2 1/2 year old was shivering when we came out of it. I hear that the pools in the (The Islander, Carribean and Mayan) will be heated by March of '05 so that seems to be a temporary problem. The Sands was heated. Anyway, I can go to a pool anywhere and much prefer to enjoy the beach in a place like Cancun.

The only reason I chose to give 4 stars and not 5 was because of the restaurants in the hotel. We ate in many of the restaurants in all 4 of the Royal Resorts (The Islander, Carribean and Mayan are right next to each other and the Sands is a few minutes down the road by shuttle) and found the food to be fairly mediocre. Even the "fine dining" restaurant in the Royal Mayan was just average....not at all what I would hope for on a nice vacation. My big "beef" was that there was not even ONE mexican restaurant in the entire group of Royal Resorts. We're in Mexico and the best I could do was find an order of nachos as an appetizer and fajitas as the only mexican entree in any of their restaurants. I really felt the food was, at best, comparable to an average restaurant back home, and the dishes had NO local flavor. Very disappointing.

All in all it was a great vacation, especially for small children. However, if you're looking for local Mexican flavor, you're not going to find it here. Other than the beautiful blue Carribean water, it seemed like any good beach resort hotel in any beach town. Cancun itself is just TOO Americanized for me... I don't think I'd want to go to the Outback Steak House back home, much less in Cancun. If I return to the Mayan Riviera again, I'm headed for Playa Del Carmen...it's much more quaint with better restaurants and a lot more charm."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of January 2005

Outstanding!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Royal Islander, Cancun for one week Dec/2004.
Lovely room with a gorgeous view of the ocean. We booked all of our travel plans from the restort. The beach was spotless with several life guards on duty. Ocean was as warm as a bath tub.
Service was fantastic! Everyone was friendly and went out of their way in order to please us.
Will return!"