About The Fives Azul Beach Resort Playa Del Carmen

• coffee tea maker
  • butler service

Good
Good

Bait and Switch--Stay Away!!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Karisma is operating a bait and switch with their properties--DO NOT book with them!!

We reserved and paid for a penthouse at the Azul Fives (their most expensive room) for a trip at the end of February with our two young children (2.5 and 10 months), my brother in law and his girlfriend. Less than a week before we were to leave, they finally contacted us and said the resort wouldn't be open--FOR ANOTHER YEAR. How can you take reservations--and let people pay for--a resort that is more than a year away from opening?!

I had an idea they may not open (based on other Trip Advisor reviews), so I had been trying on my own for weeks to get them to book us into another property--and no one would respond to my emails, or return my calls (or answer the phone, for that matter). I called Miami, I called Mexico, I called every single number and emailed every address I could find for all of their resorts, and it was the same thing--no response. We'd spent a considerable amount of money on this penthouse (not to mention the six plane tickets) and I was definitely freaking out (and I've not only travelled all over the world, but I book corporate events at foreign resorts for a living--this was not my first time at the rodeo). When they finally returned my email, they offered us adjoining ocean view rooms at the Sensatori, with couples massages for each of us. Definitely not the penthouse, but we were now a week from departure, and they swore up and down the Presidential Suites at the Sensatori (closest thing to the penthouse at the Fives) were all booked, so we didn't really have any options.

Upon arrival, not only did we not have ocean view rooms, but we had the absolute cheapest rooms at the Sesatori! And no one would do anything about it. We went from a two bedroom penthouse with 3 bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room, dining room, two hot tubs and it's own private rooftop terrace--to having our baby sleeping in a crib at the foot of our bed and our toddler in a bed right next to us. The crib had fleas or something in the mattress--our baby woke up covered in bites. They didn't clean our rooms until 5pm or so--if they did at all. And as far as we could tell, the Presidential Suites were completely empty during our stay.

I've been trying to get someone from customer service to respond to us for a month now and just received a response today--that they will not even reimburse us for the difference between the regular and ocean view rooms. She said you could see the ocean from the room and attached photos--photos that were taken after you walked out of the room, through the covered porch area, turned around and were standing next to the pool, facing the ocean. Ocean view means ocean view from the room, not from standing next to the pool.

After we had our massages and tried to check out, we also had a $200 bill for the "taxes" on those complimentary massages--massages that in total cost $400. Again, it took an hour and a half before they agreed with me that unless they had 50% taxes in Mexico I was unaware of, they had again done a bait and switch--and actually made us pay for our "free" massages.

Also, the food is NOT gourmet. It's better than your average all-inclusive, but that's not saying much. They basically force you to eat off the buffet--and gave you dirty looks when you asked for a menu (they're all supposed to offer both). It would take 45 minutes before someone would bring us a high chair for the baby--and we were usually eating early, they weren't busy. We also were unable to get reservations at Le Chique the entire time we were there.

I should have listened to the other reviewers, but we didn't--it was too late--and now we're paying for it. Do not waste your money!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of March 2009

Not opening until November 2009

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Got a call from my travel agent today. Her Karisma sales rep called her to let her know that they had pushed the opening back to November! We were scheduled to go in June and I had a feeling this would happen. She said they are having trouble with financing. Go figure!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of March 2009

All you could ask for and more

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We loved our 2 week vacation at Azul Fives the last week of Jan. and first week of
Feb. with another couple. We shared a luxurious 2 bedroom condo on the 2nd level
overlooking the pool which winds through the complex (beautiful day and night).
The larger pool at the beach end of the resort is a breathtaking sight to see. The
staff were outstanding and the meals were excellent. There was some construction
going on while we were there which did not affect us in any way. We understand that
Karisma has chosen to close down temporarily to complete the rest of the project.
We believe it will be even more spectacular upon completion .
We will anxiously be watching for the reopening date to plan our return. PS...the
beach is fantastic in every way."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2009

Gorgeous location and setting

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed for two weeks Jan 21 - Feb 4 with two friends. We had a fabulous vacation. The staff was friendly, helpful and very professional. The food and service were fantastic. The resort has a beautiful setting on the beach looking across the Caribbean Sea at Cozumel. The main swimming pool at the beach appears to be part of the Sea - beautiful effect! There is also a pool threading its way through the resort amongst the condo buildings. With lounge chairs at the pool in front of each building. The condos are spacious, with a balcony off each bedroom and off the living/dining area. The resort is close to Playa del Carmen for shopping and nightlife."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of February 2009

Stay away

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We had a party of 4 two couples. 10 days before our trip "Karisma", the property owner, changed us to another propety they own. We went from a 2 bedroom rooftop suite at Azul Five to two regular room sat Sensatori. They offered no compensation or extra amenities or even an apology. They said it was a fair swap. Azul Five could not open (reason unclear since we received 3 versions on why) and they did not inform us until 10 days before we left. I guess this was so we couldn't cancel. We did. I think they did us a favor, if this is how they treat their guests I'm glad we didnt go."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of February 2009

Rip off

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Rip off. I would not sent my dog here. Stay clear of this place. Upper management doesn't know what customer services."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of February 2009

BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I was planned to stay at the Fives on the 2ns March for two weeks in a 1 bedroom suite. I saw in the brochure it was planned to open in early December. I booked my holiday in January. When I booked my holiday I emailed the hotel to see if I can have an upgrade as I work for ThomasCook. They never replied to my email so I left it there. Then I read the review below 2 weeks ago. After reading it I decided to call the hotel from my home in England. When I said are you open they put the phone down. I then called back again and they said they will be open on the 28 Feb. I called the resort office 3 days ago and the hotel will not be open so I have now been moved to the Azul Beach, which I am really not happy with. I will now look at booking the El Dorada Casista Suites. All in all really bad service from an UN OPENED hotel!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of February 2009

Empty promises

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The Azul Fives is not open! They pushed the date back again to feb 27th or so. I was booked and payed (in full) to stay there the week of feb 12th After numerous promises both verbally and in writing I was assured that the hotel would open on Jan 27th. Well it didn't and the management there are cowards and would not even get on the phone. Don't take my word try calling and getting someone to call you back. In the end I am glad i am not going because if this is the way they treat people I would hate to be a guest there!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

Another Win for Karisma Hotels

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I love this property. The staff will do anything you want from beach bbq's to a personalized on site vacation planner to take care of all the little details. As a Luxury travel consultant at cowboywaytravel, any hotel that goes above and beyond for clients gets 5 stars from me.
Dedra Shahan"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2008

Visit to the new property

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I had the opportunity to visit this hotel prior to it's opening in March 2008. This is absolutely a beautiful hotel. Perfect for honeymooner's, families, and singles too. The king suites accommodate up to 5 people (great for families) and you can add the connecting deluxe room to accommodate up to 4 more! Perfect for large families. You also have the option of adding the all-inclusive plan or not."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008