Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club

Blvd. Kukulkan Km. 5.8 Zona Hotelena, Cancun 77500 Mexico

Good

I'll go back in a heart beat

"My husband and 14 yr old daughter, and I just got back 2-18-03. It was wonderful, the people, service , room, everything. We had never been to Mexico before and we LOVED it. Yes, we did buy into the time share but the people were in now way pushy. This is a place where you can go and relax and worry about nothing. I have told my friends that if they want somewhere to go and have a really great time and relax then they need to go to Cancun and stay at the Sunset Lagoon."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of March 2003

Sunset Lagoon is Fabulous!

"My husband, 2 grown daughters and I stayed at the Sunset Lagoon last May and we have reservations to go back again this year. The hotel is very nice tho not 5 star. But the staff will make you think you own the place! We had marvelous time sitting by the pool at the bar, walking the beach, and the nightly entertainment. We met lots of nice folks from just about everywhere; Canada, Venezuela, and Mexico. The food is great, the drinks are great, and the water is safe to drink! I can hardly wait until we go back! Xel-ha is wonderful experience which we'll probably do again. Everybody should see Chichen Itza at least once, but know that it's very, very hot there with little shade. Looking forward to see Tres Rios for the first time, and returning to Isla Mujueres."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of March 2003

WORST TRIP EVER

"I booked two rooms for four adults for a week at the end of feb. we arrived 3 Hrs late on the first day to find out that they lost our reservation and did not have two rooms availiable, they gave us a suite instead with one king size bed an the most uncomfortable hida-bed I've ever slept in and still charged me for two rooms. The next day the gave us the two rooms as promised but the A/C in one room was not working , after several attempts to fix it without any sucess they finally decided to give us another room and around 9:30 at night we were moving our luggage once again. the variety of food was not great , the service was slow , the time share sales people were VERY pushy and when you finally get it through their thick heads that you are not interested they just walk away without saying a word, we sat there for 10 minutes befor we realized the presentation was over which I felt was VERY RUDE . in all fairness though the scenery was amazing , the staff were very nice ,the drinks were always served with a smile , the rooms and grounds were well kept , the entertainment was enjoyable, and the weather was great, all in all I will be returning to Cancun but not to the Sunset Lagoon......"

• Travel date: Thu 6th of March 2003

Take us back!

Good

"What can you say when everything is better than expected? This would be our 25th time on packaged travel to Mexico and the Caribbean so we do know how to handle disappointments! However, at the Sunset Lagoon all the basics were great. Food...fresh and plentiful; as with most all-inclusives variety is great each day but tend to become similar looking after a week...the Lagoon however has an a la carte restaurant and so does its sister the Royal Sunset. BUT...Book early...by e-mail if they will let you...only 5-7 tables.Room...Basic, clean and functional...we had a little patio. All plumbing worked well and NO SSEWAGE smell, ever!! Excellent maid service. The Junior Suites looked nice if you can upgrade. Bar and Service...a little slow due to volume of people for one bar but co-operative and pleasent. Knowledgible staff for where to go, do and buy. Location...On lagoon side...no one swam in it but lovely pool. Access to ocean across road and okay to use chairs and beach only a short walk away...most people never even found out about it!!Activities...as advertised...bikes, kayaks, sunfish, windsurfers and paddle boats. Friendly activity staff especially good with kids and volleyball players. Royal Sunset...big and noisy...wolves after time share sales...beautiful oceanside open air breakfast/lunch area. Beach tough to walk as it is so close to buildings...once around it you can go for a decent walk. Food okay but can't compare to Lagoon. A boat and Shuttle are available to get to each hotel...very niceOverall...take us back!! and we have only done that once before! Royal Sunset"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of March 2003

Love the Sunset Lagoon!

Good

"We do own a timeshare at Sunset Lagoon and, even though we do not EVER do the all inclusive thing, we have little trouble getting reservations. (unlike other reports that I have read). The staff overall is very gracious and accomodating. Some of the night desk staff appeared to be making life more difficult than it had to be (we were chastised for not having our confirmation number). It seemed as is if the desk clerk wanted to be paid to overlook this "travesty". Another desk clerk short changed us on two occasions when we were converting currency. I guess he thought we were way too ignorant to count pesos. Now the great stuff - the units are large and clean. We own a presidential suite and it has two kitchens, two living areas and can sleep 10 people. It opens out to the lagoon which feels like your own private beach. The maid staff is charming and pleasant."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of February 2003

Take My advice

Good

"I read the reviews before visiting this hotel and to be honest, I was scared. I booked this trip for my boyfriends birthday and valentines day and didn't want anything to go wrong. This hotel was WONDERFUL. The staff was great, very accommodating! The food was good for an all inclusive, the drinks were okay if you told them what to make and how to make it, otherwise, they were weak, and the shows at night were hillarious! The only complaint I would have is the room we had was not the most comfortable, but come on--who goes to cancun for the room? Yes this is a time share hotel, but as long as you know how to say NO, this is not a problem. Also remember how much you are paying--this isn't the Ritz so don't expect it. This is a smaller hotel with a larger "sister" hotel that you can use as part of your all-inclusive plan. The smaller size allowed us to meet and mingle with people and before the trip was over, we met alot of nice people. If you have a bad experience in Cancun or at this hotel-its your fault. Enjoy your stay at the Sunset Lagoon--We did."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of February 2003

Okay but don't expect much

"Room was OK - stayed in better for less - next to utility closet which is in round the clock use. View was the brick wall. Timeshare staff are a nightmare. Mgmt indifferent to the ordinary traveller. Try to find bottled water. Working staff were wonderful. Lagoon was a little on the smelly side even with the aerating. 5 Star Sister Hotel, great beach - glad I had Hep shots - Bar washed their glasses via a big cylinder filled with water a couple pumps on a brush ready for the next person. Food was excellent. Snack bar on lagoon side hidden away but worth finding. Drinks were not watered down - most of ours were 2 to 3 oz of liquor. Massages were $10 if you know to ask. Overall had a great time but would make a lot of requests if I ever stayed there again."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of February 2003

Roadside-Cave Lagoon

"Our stay began with our decent down into a cave-like room. The "sattelite" TV only brought in 3 Spanish channels and Discovery. There was no air conditioning, no storage space, and it faced a high-way covered only by a stone wall with jagged glass glued to the top. The hotel area outside of our room was really nice, when you could see past the over-doting staff. The food was average, with a daily buffet, but grew rather boring. The mixed drinks all tasted the same and no matter what kind of beer we ordered, it always left us wondering whether we had somehow made a mistake. Our first day was completely wasted by the Timeshare vultures, who were waiting for us as soon as we entered the lobby, with promises of a short presentation followed by gifts for our time. The presentation ended up taking three times the length they had promised and after much pressure, having said "no thanks" numerous times, we finally escaped their wrath and all we got in return was a cheap bottle of tequilla and a $5 blanket. Beware of Timeshare!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of February 2003

Great place to stay

Good

"We had a great stay at the Sunset Lagoon!!! The rooms were very neat & clean, the food was great, and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. It's cheaper than staying on the Caribbean side, but you still have easy access to that side if you wish via the Royal Sunset (sister hotel)."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of January 2003

VIP Travel Club Nightmare - Timeshare Presentation

"I had a bad experience with the Sunset Lagoon timeshare presentation. Unfortunately, I purchased a VIP Travel Membership for $3,000.00, and have tried since the trip - November, 2002 for Sunset to reimburse my credit card account, after cancelling this membership.

I booked this stay through a website on the internet, the hotel room was marginal and the air condition didn't work, I had to be moved. The food was ok and decent.

My experience ended up terrible, because I feel that I have been ripped off, the timeshare presentation of what is received in the membership is not true, and I found that out, once I returned to the U.S. to check out the process of reserving, only to my surprise there are fees on top of fees to use this membership. I am still in January, 2003 trying to retrieve my money back from a membership I cancelled within 5 days from this resort.

Stay away from any time share presentation and you may be ok at this resort."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of January 2003

You won’t regret staying at the Sunset...

"You won’t regret staying at the Sunset Lagoon. The hotel itself is very Mexican, not your typical hotel. The all inclusive allowed us the freedom to experiment with different foods and drinks, it was all very good, I am picky eater and I didn’t find anything that I didn’t like.

I have stayed at plenty of time-share resorts and this is the first one that had a staff that made me feel welcome and included me in the resort activities. Jackie and Jonathan really made our stay special for us. The waiters made us laugh, and were always there with drink refills, and our empty plates didn’t stay on the table long enough to blink.

I will never stay anywhere else in Mexico. The Sunset Lagoon won my heart! The rooms are big and very very clean, they made out bed a different way each night, the attention to detail made all the difference to us.

Our trip was unforgettable. Enjoy Mexico and the Sunset Lagoon!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Hotels near Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club

Stayed at Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club? Share your insight.

Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club is also called