Sun Palace

Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500 Mexico

Would not recomend

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My family and I were ttransferred to the Sun Palace from the Xpu-ha Palace because my son had an asthma reaction from what I think was mold in the room. They told us brfore we left to go there that the only room they had available was a room with a king size bed. We agreed. Well we couldn't believe when we walked into our room. It wasn't even a real room at all,it was an ajoining room to another room,it was very small and at the back of the hotel. When we asked at the front desk if we could be switched to a larger room, they told us there were other rooms available but we couldn't have one because we had children. I was very displeased with this hotel, my room conditoins were not only tiny, but also not well kept. Some of the staff was not freindly,also because tis wasn't the type of room we origanally paid for,

they only offered us spa treatments as reimbursement."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2003

Not worth the money Try Moon Palace it's a little ways out but worth it

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My boyfried and I stayed @ the Sun Palace from July 20-23, and I was disappointed in the way the room was layed out. The rooms are very small and old. The view was pretty good but it is a very small the restort. The food was O.K. but the drinks were terrible very watered down. I really dont think that this hotel is worth 300 @ night find somewhere else to go it was not worth it. We did go on a couple of tours Xel-Ha was pretty fun and cool for adults and kids try it if you go there. Well that's my opinion hope it's helpful!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2003

Sun Palace was below average

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"I for one was disappointed with Sun Palace. The place was for the most part older and cheesy. The staff was friendly and Benardo was so funny we just loved him. The food was very good. But for the price I did expect a better place. We toured most of their other hotels and they were MUCH better and newer. When we go back we will end up staying in one of the other ones. They had better shows, better music, better food selections as well. The Sun Palace needs to be sold to the lowest bidder and quick! LOL! Of course this is just my opinion and we all have diffrent tastes, so what maybe wonderful to one will be less so to others. Feel free to e"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of July 2003

Wasn't Worth the Money

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at THE SUN PALACE for 4 days for our honeymoon and it cost about $2100. It smelled mildewy in the lobby and the jacuzzi did not work well. I had been to Cancun once before with a friend and stayed at THE GRAN CARIBE REAL for $1500 for 2 people for 7 days.PEOPLE WAY WORTH THE MONEY. I would not recommend the Sun Palace to anyone and would definitely not waste my money. I was very disappointed and upset to have to spend my honeymoon there."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2003

Very Average

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace July 1st through the 6th. This was the first "real" vacation either of us have ever taken, so we're not worldly travel veterans who have the highest expectations. That being said, the Sun Palace didn't exactly knock our socks off. However, we did love Cancun. The beaches and ocean were beautiful and the strip was a blast. We had fun on the Chichen Itza tour, but it a long 2 hour plus bus ride to get there and then 2 hours plus back. You're only at the ruins for an hour or hour and a half, and it was as hot as we could stand. The snorkeling trip was a lot of fun as well. We plan on returning next year, but we won't stay at the Sun Palace again. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as great as you might believe after reading most of these reviews. The staff was pleasant and helpful enough, but they weren't exactly tripping over themselves assist us either. They advertise 3 resturants, but that's misleading because only 1 is open for breakfast, 1 for lunch and then 2 for dinner. It's not like you have 3 options for each meal. Breakfast and lunch were buffets, and actually were very good. The dinner menu was a little disappointing, and the food was average at best. We ate dinner on the strip 3 of the 5 nights we were there, and those meals were great. The beach was definately the best feature of the hotel, it was beautiful. Even though we drank quite a bit out on the beach, I don't know that we drank or ate enough at the hotel to consider the "all inclusive" aspect a good deal. One thing that was terrible at the hotel was the room service. We ordered it 4 times during our stay, once they didn't show at all, once they brought the wrong items, and the other two times they brought part of the order, and then came back later with the rest of the order. Each time took 45 minutes to an over an hour to get our order. We did have a great time, and do not regret staying at the Sun Palace, I just don't think that it was as spectacular as a lot of these reviews would indicate.

In addition to having ruled out the Sun Palace for a return stay, we've ruled out all "all inclusive" hotels as vacation candidates. After the experience, I just don't think it is a good value. I don't think you could drink or eat enough to make it a good value, and if you could, would you really want to? I think you can stay at a nicer hotel (say the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach Cancún) for $500-$600 less and pay for your meals and drinks and end up spending only couple hundred more overall than an all inclusive hotel.

So there it is, just some food for thought anyway."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2003

spectacular sun palace

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We loved the Sun Palace!!! We were treated like royalty the second we arrived. We didn't have time to see the front desk before we had been seated in the lounge with drinks in hand and well on our way to enjoying our vacation. Room service is always an option and we ordered it frequently. Everyone on staff is pleasant and always willing to accomodate your needs. We were honeymooners and we were treated to a special dinner that we could pick from a separate menu. The food was great and the drinks were awesome. Angel is a bartender there and he is a character, let him know you would like a "super man" he will be happy to make one for you. No one was pushy or "waiting" for tips, although we did tip frequently because we thought they deserved it. We also saw the general manager and other "big wigs" often in the lobby and wandering during meals making sure everything was going well during our stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Atmosphere: there were mostly couples but there were also families. The pool was never too crowded and there was always available space to grab a chair. They also have some interactive games, trivia, and silly things by the pool that are fun to get involved in or just watch. They really try to help you enjoy your vacation. *When we went for a total of 7 days it was beautiful for four and poured or was really cloudy the last three days.
We didn't know that it was the rainy season* We still had a great time and will vacation there again!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2003

Sun Palace!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My wife and I just got back from our summer vacation at the Sun Palace in Cancun. I'll give you a no kidding honest review of why to go there. As soon as we got to the Sun Palace we were greeted with Pina Coladas at the reception desk and our bags we're wisked away by the bell hop. I did a lot of research before we left and found out that the Sun Palace is the smallest of the Palace Resorts that is a very good thing, it means you won't spend half your vacation trying to find your room night after night. When we got to our room the A/C was working great and we had a spectacular ocean view at no extra cost ( 98 percent of the hotel has ocean view rooms ) The room itself was huge and VERY clean. When we went down to the lobby to ask about dinner and that type of thing, the hotel staff was amazing, they are all very helpful, and willing to please. Our first dinner was adjacent to the ocean at their outdoor Italian Resturaunt, The food was to die for. The portions were much like classy places, small but really attractive. I just ordered more and nobody minds, after all it is ALL INCLUSIVE. Here arer the top three things about this resort. One, the activities staff is second to none, two, the food never made us sick and was abundant and free 24 hr room service was cool too, and three, this resort is on one of the nicest stretches of beach in all of Cancun. We went to the other palace resorts and they were also very nice but much to large and way to crowded. Not once did we feel that way at The Sun Palace. If your goal is to go to Cancun and enjoy an all inclusive that's not to big and has great service, look no futher, the Sun Palace is your best bet. Of course if you want to party all night and puke in the pool stay at the Beach or the Cancun Palace, they're both huge and have a younger crowd. If you go to the Sun Palace make sure to say hello to Ben at the Lobby bar, one good tip (20 bucks) and he will treat you like a rock star for a week. The only bad thing I have to say is that they don't have a swim up bar and you have to keep getting out of the pool for beers, not bad for my only complaint though. Sun Palace 10 out of 10."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of June 2003

The best in Cancun

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"I read many opinions both here and other locations on the web before booking my trip to the Sun Palace in Cancun. I'm glad I did, and I was very impressed with the resort.Who went: My Mom(58) and I(26).We went in June and the hotel was at about 30 percent capacity. We always had a seat at any of the pools, and the covered cabanas along the beach. The views from the balcony of the room were beautiful. The croud seemed to be mostly famlies and honeymooners/couples. After walking the beaches in the morning, I came to realize that we had the best kept beach on the strip, just as other reviews had said. The beach was better than ones in Maui in my opinion, and the water was the clearest I'd ever seen. It was postcard perfect!We're used to staying in 5 star hotels in the states, and were not disappointed at Sun Palace. The rooms were awesome, and comfortable. Good water pressure too. Mini-bar items included beer, water and soda, all included. They stock it every 2 days, but will stock more frequently if you call room service. The entire hotel was gorgeous, clean, and easy to move around. If you're into theme nights they had an event in the ball room almost every night we were there, and the bar in the loby had a band that played american music. On the main pool deck durring the day they had music which could best be described as "early 90's", along with a water aerobics hour around one o'clock - not my taste, but not annoying at all. We prefered to camp out under the shade of the beach cabanas and be lazy most of the time.The service was excelent. I thought, "No tips? How will the service be?" at first, but soon forgot all about it. The waiters, bellhops, bartenders, and everyone we ran into could not have been nicer! I was truly impressed. Every single person who worked there went above and beyond for us no matter what the request.The food was OK. The menus were, for the most part, bland Americanized dishes of pastas, seafood, and chicken. I have a better selection of authentic Mexican food here in the midwest. If we weren't so relaxed and enjoying the resort we may have ventured outside the resort for a more Mexican meal. The deserts were excelent. Count me as satisfied in the food department.Tips if you go: You can drink the tap water at the resort. Nobody we knew got sick at all. Take a cab from the airport - same price, more comfort. Take the bus to places from the hotel - it's quick, cheap and comes around every 10 seconds. Request "double alcohol" on every round - they'll gladly give it to you, and the drinks are weak by default. Shop at Forum by the Sea for the best deals, most selection, and best authentic Mexican souveniers. Bargain with the shop keepers - I got most everything 40 percent off. Shop keepers will pleasantly harass you to come in their shop, and stick to you like glue. It's funny. Wear sunblock - I got burnt wearing SPF 40 the whole time. Order room service all you want. We drank a lot of water and requested more bottled water every time we had room service. You honestly do not have to tip anyone - I know it sounds rude and crazy, but I almost felt uncomfortable tipping here and there because nobody else was, and the service is top notch either way. When you get there, INSIST on NOT taking the "free tour" - it's just a sales pitch for timeshares.In conclusionI spent ten grand on a trip to Maui last year and loved it, but I spent about a third of that on this trip and loved it even more. It was the best vacation ever. The resort was perfect in almost every possible way, and I still can't get over the great service we received the entire time from all employees there. I like variety with my vacations, but this place is one that I will be visiting again and again. You will love it!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of June 2003

Stay Away - Cheesy and Cheap

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Where do I start with this ridiculous hotel. We booked the Sun Palace based upon a 6 golden apple rating from Apple Vacations. This place should not get anything more than 2 or 3. The decor is cheap and 80's and no frills. The food is almost inedible. Steaks, beef and meat are strange in color and must have been defrosted and refrozen several times. There is certainly a lot of food provided all the time, just very poor quality. We stayed at Fiesta Americana Coral Beach the last time, that is a true 6 apple rating. Fiesta was very elegant and grand.
Additionally, all inclusive seems to attract those who do not eat food, but drink their meals all day. The question that you should ask yourself about other's reviews that rave about such place, is "what are these people eating and enjoying at home?"

On the last night, we couldn't take the idea of eating another bad barbecue at Sun Palace, and went over to the Fiesta Americana, where we were greeted by the manager and Maitre'd, who opened double glass doors to the fine dining restaurant. We enterred the restaurant and walked pass a cellist, and were served by our very own waiter, somerlier, and busboy, to a lovely Prix Fix incredible dinner. We felt at home, and a sense of calm and peace. We were no longer animals like at the Sun Palace. We will go back to the Fiesta Americana soon, just to erase the bad memory of the Sun Palace from our experience of Cancun.

Beach was very nice, but lost some days due to rough waves. Staff was nice and accomodating.

The lesson we learned was, you never get something for nothing and don't skimp on your vacation. A vacation should be better or at least equal to your lifestyle at home. But certainly not worse."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of June 2003

Best Vacation in a Long time

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My wife and I just got back from Cancun last week. We stayed at the Sun Palace for 7 nights and loved every minute of it. I cannot say enough about the service, the food was very good, and the entertainment group were very fun. When playing the poolside games or the evening activities, be prepared to partake in tequilla shots!! My wife and I stayed at the Cancun Palace 5 years ago and it is also nice but the crowd is much younger and wilder (although we and a few other couples gave it a run for their money a few nights). The pool is great, the beach was great, and the rooms are nice. It is only a 10 minute bus ride to the nightlife area so it was nice to be away from all of the craziness, but still have the option of going down there for 6 pesos. I would highly recommend the Sun Palace to anyone. The people are generally older (30's - 50's) who stay here but they know how to have a good time so you don't have the wild high school or college kids running around. The drinks are fabulous, there was never any waiting for drinks or food or anything for that matter. We made some very good friends there due to the fact that it is much smaller than most resorts and you get the opportunity to really get to know the people who are staying. GREAT TIME!!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2003

Sun Palace is an all-inclusive resort. I...

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2005

"Sun Palace is an all-inclusive resort. It is small compared to the other resorts in Cancun, giving it a bit more 'home-y' feeling.

The staff is great and friendly and all is well until you complain about anything. They will listen and take notes, but no action.

We reported a $20us rip-off attempt by a taxi (number 998) to the hotel service desk. They promised us a follow-up, but none came.

We reported a problem to one of the managers (Taynia), with an activity booked with the tour operator in the hotel lobby (Chaza Travel). Again no help from the hotel to resolve the issue.

If you go Sun Palace, make sure you get a room on floor 5 or lower. The floors 6-8 are serviced by 1 elevator only ! The same elevator services floors 0-5, but there are 2 more elevators for those floors. The 4th elevator is reserved for the hotel staff.

Food is decent, but not outstanding. For a good meal head into town.

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005

Hotels near Sun Palace

Stayed at Sun Palace? Share your insight.

Sun Palace is also called