Royal Mayan Cancun Hotel

Kukulcan Boulevard Km 17.5 L-49 , Hotel Zone , 77500 , Cancun , Mexico , North America

Fantastic Resort!!!

"I have just returned from a 10 night stay at The Royal Mayan resorts and could not believe how magnificent the resort was. Everything about our stay was perfect, friendly hotel staff, immaculate rooms and facilities, 2 top class restaurants. The pool was fantastic and the resort is facing directly on to the beautiful turquoise ocean of the Carribean. Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday and I will definitely be coming back again next year."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

Loved the hotel, watch out for a Sailfish

Good

"They Royal Mayan was great overall other than the fact that we were there while they were painting so we woke up to workers on our deck every morning. The rooms were very spacious and the patios were large as well. The staff were always helpful and friendly and the crowd seemed to be a mix of ages but very enjoyable for families & couples. There were also a number of late 20 somethings groups that were enjoying themselves. In comparison to other resorts the Mayan didn't host the daily activites ie pool volleyball, dance contests, etc but I believe the sister property next door did. Maybe it was the time of year but we always had a place by the pool and the service was great. Although, I would recommend drinking at the bar only during happy hour which was everyday 4-7pm! The only irritating issue was the shuttle only running every 90 minutes, the gym was at the sister property the Sands and you had to time everything perfect or spend alot of time waiting. As for Cancun itself this was my first time and although the beaches were beautiful (in comparison to Cabo) I probably will not go back since it seems to be a VERY young city to visit. Young kids going to get drunk seemed to be the trend. Watch out when you deep sea fish we caught a Sailfish and kept it not knowing we would have to mount it which costs $1000, plus frieght. You have to give down payment ($400) or go to jail (so we were told) We are never going to see the fish and we are out $400, be careful! Restaurants I would recommend La Dolce Vita EXCELLENT service and great prices, along w/ a wonderful view!
and for a great cover rock band go to the Hard Rock Cafe...AMAZING!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

Loved the Royal Mayan but not the sea lice

Good

"Just returned May 27, 2005. The Royal Mayan is a great place to stay. Everyone friendly, easy check in & out. Plenty of lounge chairs by the pools & on the beach. This was our first trip to Cancun & we had everything to learn. There are safes in the rooms & an iron & ironing board for anyones info. PLEASE be safe & pick up a bottle of Safe Sea lotion. I was not aware of sea lice & not long after being in the ocean did I start itching & got out. Little red bumps or rash appeared on my chest. At the end of our trip I tried the ocean one more last time & the same as before. I got out right away & showered off again & never went back in. Two days later, from my chest down to my waist & around my sides I am COVERED with these red bumps that itch like a major case of poison ivy. Since being home I have had a steroid shot plus pills, antibiotic, cream, benedryl, & now sleeping pills. Still itching badly days later but it is drying up. I guess the lice got down in my one piece & had a hay day. The guys it didn't seem to bother but they get trapped in women's bathing suits & will wear you out. They are only the size of a piece of black pepper so I've learned. SO PLEASE, PICK UP A $10.00 BOTTLE OF "SAFE SEA LOTION". Trust me it will be the best investment for your vacation. I only wish I would have known about it before hand. And>>>>>>DON'T WASTE YOUR $115.00 ON THE DEEP SEA FISHING. They take you out on a boat, THEY bait the hooks, THEY cast the line, THEY hook the fish, & finally YOU GET TO REEL it in taking turns with 5 other people. So unless you like spending that kind of money to watch the captain & his side kick fish YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR TIME & MONEY. I was informed that that's the way they do it on all the fishing trips in Cancun."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Royal Excellence

"Our stay at the Royal Mayan was our second experience at a Royal Resort in Cancun (the first was the Royal Islander). Once again, the experience was terrific. The rooms are spacious, clean and well-appointed. Furthermore, staying at a Royal Resort allows you to take advantage of amenities at the other Royal Resorts throughout Cancun. The Islander and Caribbean are just a few steps away and free shuttle service is offered to the Royal Sands (fantastic spa) and Club Internacional. The staff has always been helpful, courteous and attentive to our needs. There are ample restaurants between all five resorts and several small convenience stores as well. The bars, both in pool and out, have great bartenders and the happy hour specials are always great! We highly recommended the Royal Resorts in Cancun to anyone thinking of going there. You won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2005

Still great

Good

"I just returned from spending president's week at the Royal Mayan. It has been about 7 years since we visited this time share. It was almost just how I remembered it. Some things changed for the better (murphy beds in the living room-really comfortable, and a new lobby). The service was great as always and the rooms very clean.
I wouldn't go as far and say the place is run down in any way but things are starting to need some attention. The AC in our room was not working properly (it got very cool and you couldn't control it). The TV's in both bedrooms were not worked well (one was B&W and one didn't have a remote). The showers in both bathrooms was not draining well. But with a phone call a service was underway on all these things.
The people who work at the pool bar are great-very friendly. But I have to say they watered down their drinks. Just to test this we ordered Jack on the rocks and it was most definitly not at it's full strength.
The town of Cancun is really built up. Lots to see and do. It's not as cheap as I remember but reasonable. Although if you order an American import be ready to pay the price ($11 for a jack and coke or grey goose and ginger).
All in alll the Royal Mayan is a great place to visit."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of March 2005

Well maintained but pools too cold

"My wife and I were invited by our friends who had a 2 bedroom timeshare at the Royal Mayan. I was impressed by the very friendly and accommodating staff. The food at the pool restaurant was only average but the drinks and service were superb. Most impressive was their more formal restaurant, El Conquistador, which featured tableside dishes such as Steak Diane, Caesar Salad, and Bananas Foster. It was not that expensive compared to the high quality. For example, I wanted to treat my firends to dinner and he insisted on going to the Ritz Carlton which was 3 times more expensive and poorly done with small portions.

My big problem with this resort is that they do not have heated pools. We were there the 3rd week on January and none of us could tolerate the very cold water. In fact, there were very few people in the pool. The swim up bar is in a shaded area of the pool and because of the freezing water impossible to enjoy. I did swim in the ocean which was warm but the waves were way too rough for most people. The bottom line about this resort is that if you don't care about going in the water its great. otherwise, you will be very unhappy here.

I also must add that their sister resort, the Royal Sands, does have a beautiful heated pool which we used one day. the problem with utilizing this is that the shuttles run only on the hour, are crowded, and your not supposed to be on it with a wet bathing suit. Also, the ocean water at the Royal Sands is a little calmer and more people were swimming in it.

That brings up another problem with the Royal Mayan and that is that ther are no gym facilities, not even a small health club. so you have to take the shuttle or $14 cab (round trip) to use the facilities at the Royal Sands at a nominal fee. Still very inconvenient when you are on vacation.

If you want a resort that has a health club and a pool that you can swim in, do not go to the Royal Mayan."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of February 2005

Fantastic vacation

Good

"We had a wonderful Thanksgiving week at the Royal Mayan. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite as a timeshare exchange, our first use of our timeshare. we were 4 adults and 3 young kids and we fitted into the suite without feeling cramped at all. The kitchen was well stocked with everything you could think of.
The balcony was huge, all with sea views. The pools area was gorgeous with a huge tropical-hut style restaurant in the middle. The resort has floaty suits for the kids to use in the pools as well as tennis, and other sporting equipment for use.

My two main complaints were:
1) the pools were freezing. Our weather was so-so but every day we brought the kids to the pools. We could just about tolerate the cold water on the hot days but it was unbearable on the colder days. It was a big disappointment to us as we were there each morning so it was a big part of our vacation.
2) the beach wasn't great. There wasn't a lot of sand and there was a big drop from the beach down to the water. The sea itself was very rough (I realise this is out of the resort's control) and I got the impression that while the waves were particularly big because of the time of year, it was never a safe place for kids to play in.

Cancun itself is very touristy and felt more like America and Mexico but the resort was so nice that we didn't feel much need to leave. The pool areas were quiet with tons of free seats. The resort put on activities for the kids which was nice and there was a free shuttle between the Royal Mayan and the other Royal resorts. Two of those are just next door and all used the same charge key so there was plenty of variety.

Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone going to Cancun and would definitely go back if visiting Cancun again."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of January 2005

Better for groups than couples

Good

"My husband and I vacationed at the Royal Mayan the week after Thanksgiving. This was our third trip to Mexico, first time in Cancun. The hotel was clean and the rooms spacious. The turquoise water is truely awesome.
After reading the great reviews I felt confident we had made the right choice. As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is older but in very good condition.
It's nice to have the other hotel facilities available, but I would be interested to know if they increase the number of shuttle runs during the high season. On all of our trips to Royal Sands the buses were full and people stood in the aisles. During our stay no one was turned away, but I can't say that would be true in high season.

Our biggest disappointment was with the overall atmosphere. Even though it was low season and the hotel wasn't full, it was difficult to find room at the bar and groups traveling together often dominated the few common areas. It definately had more of a group atmosphere than a romantic couples place.
The beach is nice but there's lots of coral which made it difficult to get in the water so, we headed to the Royal Sands to take advantage of their pristine beach.
All in all it was a nice getaway, but I would think twice before coming back. If we did, I would opt for the Royal Sands if the choice was available."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of January 2005

Like Paradise

"We stayed at the Royal Mayan May 29-June 5th this year. It is one of the most beautiful resorts that I have ever visited. I am a Marrriott time share owner, and I traded my resort in Florida for Cancun, and I was not disappointed. The food on the grounds was excellent, but we did eat at some places in town. If you want a massage, you will have to go to the Royal Sands, which is a part of the Royal resorts, and you can get a free shuttle to any of the Royal reorts. Be wary of everyone trying to sell timeshares, they will bug you, and offer you money to sit in on a presentation. But, you will enjoy yourself, the place is really beautiful."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of October 2004

Fun fun fun such a blast!!!!!!

"Spent August 21 thru August 29 WOW! This place is great. It's so so clean and the landscaping is just beautiful. The villas are perfect
Everything they said in their ads was true. The
kitchen is great my kids loved that I could whip up
goodies in no time. Our 9 days in Cancun were just awesome, all thanks to the Royal Mayan. I have nothing more then praise for this hotel.
One of the best on the hotel zone. We're going back next year for sure!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Out of this world

"We honestly couldn't rate this hotel enough. We travelled during the ash cloud period and it took a whole 11 hours to get there! Needless to say we were utterly exhausted but we were greeted by champagne whlst we checked in. Took us a while to check in and we were notified on arrival that there were no junior suites with double beds left. We had to pay an upgrade to get a double bed. I didn't take too kindly to this due to the tiredness of the fligth but it actually worked out a fantastic deal and it was worth it!

I would advise though if staying two weeks to request a room which doesn't overlook the lobby. It is extremely noisey at night and whilst the entertainment is varied and fantastic the woman that does the singing every night sings the same songs and it becomes a pest into the second week!!

Everything is sparkling clean and so luxurious. The staff could not do enough for you. Keep your eyes on the ever changing cigarrette sand things at the bins! The lovely cleaners do this! Attention to detail or what!?

One night they shut all the restaurants and had an amazing beach party! It took over a day to set it up and was our best night. Food was out of this world at it and a chance to try different things.

We would recommend this hotel without a doubt! Holiday of a lifetime!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of August 2010

This is a great resort, part of the Roya...

"This is a great resort, part of the Royal Group. It is possible to go online prior to arrival and pre-book a taxi transfer from the airport to the hotel and to have groceries delivered to your suite.

All suites are spacious, staff friendly and helpful. There are plenty of activities on offer and there is a free minibus to sister resorts. Spa Treatments are available at Royal Sands which is approx. 20 minute walk away, or jump the minibus.

Luxury Avenue shopping mall is a further 10 minute stroll, where you will find Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton as well as lots of local stores. There are a lot of tours on offer including Xcaret, Chichen Itsa (neither of which should be missed!).

The resort is ideally located, right on the beach."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

Hotels near Royal Mayan Cancun Hotel

Stayed at Royal Mayan Cancun Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Royal Mayan Cancun Hotel

• sleepingangel by sleepingangel

"Best hotel I've ever been to!! "

Royal Mayan Cancun Hotel is also called