Rosewood Mayakoba's Punta Bonita infinity pool deck and Mayakoba beach.

About Rosewood Mayakoba

• private pool

1992

Special Place for a Special Occasion

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"This is a very expensive, exclusive resort...... the service is excellent and the accomidations are over the edge perfect. Some of the things you should know ...most of the rooms are about a half mile from the beach...you are shuttled to and from on boats or golf carts....we never waited more a few minutes for transportation..... there are a few rooms close to the beach..all are very expensive ..... the pool next to beach is very nice ...the beach is OK ...not exceptional ...... you will find the service to be very near the Four Seasons...just not quite there.... but very close. The food was good. Everyone that works here will do their best to make you happy. You will love the room...We have traveled a lot and this room is exceptional ....plunge pool, rooftop deck, outdoor shower ..... it's hard to leave the room....... you will enjoy this resort if money is no object and you want to be pampered.... it is a special place."

• Travel date: 16th April 2008

Absolutely spectacular

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We just returned from our honeymoon at the Rosewood Mayakoba (3/30-4/3) and it was spectacular. The grounds to the hotel are absolutely amazing - the lagoon, the mangroves the beach - completely tranquil and relaxing. The staff was incredible- everyone was so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We stayed in one of the lagoon suites (#204) and it was outstanding- i think it was actually the nicest room I have ever stayed in (and we have been to some incredible hotels- Four Seasons Costa Rica, Four Seasons LA, Esperanza in Cabo San Lucas) - The room was so tastefully done- we LOVED the plungepool that overlooked the lagoon- especially at night- the view was incredible and it was so nice and relaxing (the obnly downside is that there isnt a ton of privacy- so if your neighbors are in their plungepool too, you can see and hear them). The bathroom- WOW - there is a huge glass circular window surrounding the indoor jacuzzi tub - as well as 2 showers- 1x indoors and 1x outdoors. There was also a nice top-level balcony that was very private. It was such a unique experience to be able to take the boats back from breakfast every morning or to the beach in the afternoon. Our boat drivers were all very very personable- especially Fernando who gave us a tour of the property by boat - when we werent travelling around the property by boat, its easily walkable - but they also have golfcarts - we enjoyed all our golfcart drivers as well (another Fernando- and Ernesto in particular)- you can tell they are genuinely happy people who love their jobs and it was a pleasure to be greeted by them every day with such a big smile on their faces. We had brunch every morning at Casa Del Lago every morning and the buffet was one of the best i have ever seen- it was incredible and the food was excellent as well. We enjoyed happy hour almost every night at the Agave Azul Raw bar overlooking the lagoon - very romantic and a great way to start the evening (however- the mosquitos usually came out between 6-7ish so we had to move indoors 1 night). The ceviche (we tried several but my favorite was the lobster/fish combo) was the best! We had dinner one night at Punta Bonita by the beach and 1x just had snacks at the bar by the lobby with several glasses of wine. This bar overlooks the main pool- the architecture was amazing and it was very relaxing. We went into town twice - Once to Di Vino (the food was ok) and once to Sur (pretty good) where we had appetizers and cocktails. Paula at the concierge was extremely helpful and so friendly - she helped us plan the second half of our honeymoon (we spent the last 3 nights down in Tulum)- she got a rental car delivered to the property for us and was incredibly helpful in her suuggestions on where to stop on the way down to Tulum (we went to Kantun Chi to snorkel in the cave cenotes - it was a very cool experience) and also to Akumal. Last- i will mention the spa which was directly across the lagoon from our room, and located on its own little island...INCREDIBLE. We went twice- the first time for hot stone massages (we did a couples massage)- our therapists were great and it was very relaxing - and we went back again 2 nights later for relaxation massages which were also excellent. The spa itself is beautiful.... but there was not an attendant on hand (probably b/c the spa is so new)- the showers are incredible- and the facilities also incredible- they also gave you tons of great snacks- nuts, dried fruits, tea, juice, water.....very nice! Overall we absolutely LOVED our stay at Mayakoba and I hope to go back one day. The property was amazing and I am so glad we picked this resort for our honeymoon (I had read about it in InStyle Magazine) - it was the PERFECT honeymoon!!!!"

• Travel date: 12th April 2008

Love ANYTHING Rosewood

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Incredible. Love the setting, the service, the boats, the rooms, the pools...Don't like the high price, but what do you expect? :) The place is beautiful. It's obviously new-landscaping hadn't quite filled in yet, service was well-intentioned but not usual Rosewood flawless service, etc. Pools are beautiful- pool side service is great, too. Miss the little Evian mist things they have at Las Ventanas, but those are probably bad for the environment anyway... We ordered a bottle of wine that was SO BAD, and they graciously replaced it with another, even though all 4 of us had the better part of a glass before we told them we hated it. The tequila library experience was a new one for me- I've not been a huge tequila drinker after being "overserved" a few times, but they made it a fun experience for me. Fernando the boat captain rocks. Sheila the butler rocks. Dislike the jungle mosquitos, but I bet they'll fix that in time, too!"

• Travel date: 12th April 2008

Fantastic Resort

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We just returned from a wonderful weeklong vacation in Mayakoba. We arrived and were met at the airport by a hotel representative. He escorted us to an SUV run by an outside facility hired by the hotel for transportation. We had a pleasant 35 minute drive to the resort. During check-in, we were advised that the hotel had given us a complimentary upgrade from a deluxe lagoon suite to a beachside suite. Needless to say, we were thrilled. The room was phenomenal, on the 2nd and 3rd floors of a 4 suite building. We had beautiful views but yet didn't have the security concerns of having a beachfront suite. The only complaints about the room are that we did not have an outdoor shower and the plunge pool on the 3rd floor was not terribly convenient. Plus it is fairly deep for a small non-swimming child and therefore an eagle eye is required around small children. Even older children will need to be watched closely as the edge of the pool is at the edge of the building with no glass or other device to prevent someone from falling from the 3rd floor. The suite was huge with wonderful amenities. We had requested certain items to be in our minibar at all times and that was the case and were never without what we needed. I truly think that some of the service issues people have had is because of a language barrier; the staff are not as proficient in english as the staff on the baja peninsula. We could usually get our point across in spanish if not english. My husband was expecting a fed ex package and it was late in arriving; the staff sent someone up to the airport fed ex facility to pick it up for him. The staff also sent someone to a pharmacy for some hydrogen peroxide. We absolutely loved the Kid's Club, and my son woke up every morning asking if he could go. We hired babysitting for several nites and the sitters were absolutely wonderful (carolina and jane) and my son loved them both. The babysitters are hired through the kid's club and have background checks, etc, so we felt very confident in leaving our son. We fully enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants and never had any problems with service, either in the facility or at the pool. In fact, we ate in Playa one nite at one of the highest rated restaurants and were disappointed with the food compared with the resort. The resort is really like two resorts in one: one is the lagoon side with the main restaurant and main pool with lagoon suites and spa, and the other is the beach side with restaurant and kid's club. I truly think the beach side is the way to go, especially with children. The room service was always prompt and delicious. We used a private tour company recommended by the hotel for our visit to Chitzen Itza. With a four year old, a crowded tour bus did not seem the way to go. We used Kultours, owned by Guillermo. They met us in a nice SUV at the front entrance and drove us to the ruins. Guillermo and Gabby are quite knowledgeable about the Mayans and the local culture and ruins. The best thing about a private tour guide is that you can tailor your visit to what you want to see as well as to the stamina of a four year old in the heat. I would highly recommend Kultours. My husband also used them 2 different times for scuba diving and was not disappointed at all. We also very much enjoyed the spa and fitness center and I had one of the best massages by Daniel. The spa is absolutely gorgeous and spacious and wish I had more time to spend there. We can't wait to return, and know that the place will be even more beautiful in a year or so once the landscaping really grows in."

• Travel date: 17th March 2008

Spectacular setting and rooms but a few kinks to work out

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My wife and I just got back from 4 nights at Rosewood Mayakoba. As a basis for comparison, we have previously stayed at Ritzes (Cancun, West Palm, Naples, Bali), Four Seasons (Costa Rica, NYC, DC), Parrot Cay, Princeville, Manele Bay, etc. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience at Mayakoba. However, I can sympathize with some of the complaints about the service and believe they have a ways to go to get that part running as smoothly as it should be for a resort of this caliber (and price tag!). While the service was a slight negative, it was far outweighed by the positives for us. So let's get to the details. The architecture of the lobby area and pool looking over the lagoon/canals is simply stunning and I would put at the top of the list of the places we have stayed (maybe only Ritz Bali is superior for me). Though we never used the lobby pool area, I found it to be the most beautiful pool area I have seen. I would have been very content to hang out there rather than the beach because it and the view looking over the lagoon and canal were so fantastic. As far as we ever saw, it didn't get much use so was very peaceful. The beach pool area was pretty small but nice in its own right, if nothing spectacular, . We never hung by either pool (we hung out at our beachfront suite) so I cannot comment on the pool service. Room - The rooms (we had a beachfront suite #614) were simply awesome. By far the best room I have seen in the carribean. There is a large entry room with a table for in room dining and big mini bar. The bedroom is huge with a seating area. As many have mentioned, the bathroom is absolutely unmatched. The linens, pillows and the bed were the absolute best I have experienced in a hotel, just as comfortable (or maybe more) than home. Same for the bath towels, etc. All top quality and very good. While I definitely can see being just as happy on the lagoons especially for a discount, the beachfront suite was incredible. We had a huge deck with plunge pool (ours was clean and a perfect temperature). You walked down three stairs off our deck and put your feet in the sand. You walked another 30 feet and put your feet in the ocean. We spent all of our time hanging out on our deck and then in the afternoon when the sun left our deck out on the beach in front of our suite in beach chairs the butler had brought in for us (chalk one up for the service). Though we got the idea to get beach chairs from one of our neighbors, this seemed like a slightly special request though it was met without delay or argument. Not sure why they don't just have those for all the beach suites. The lounge chairs were very comfortable. They actually seemed designed with the human body in mind. A tip: bring a simple male-to-male connector cord if you have an iPod or MP3 and you can plug into the BOSE clock radio in the room (the hotel really should just provide this). Service - All right let's get to the one shaky spot. We had no horror stories in this regard but in general, you can feel the extreme newness of the resort in this area. While the effort is generally there, I think it is best described as a bit of awkwardness at times and a lack of confidence and precision, especially with regard to interactions that get "off the script" as another reviewer described. Generally they followed through and made things happen but they just didn't inspire much confidence that it would happen and then confirm with you that it did so you had peace of mind. So in the end, the results were generally there but there was some angst and follow up required. For example, I had emailed in advance that I wanted dinner reservations at specific restaurants on each night and also to inquire about spa services and other things like snorkeling. It took more than a week to get a reply and then only after I had to sent a slightly frustrated email. After that the responsiveness was good but again, I got an email saying they would work on my reservations but never got one confirming they were available and made as I requested. Upon arrival, one would typically expect a printout of anything the concierge had booked for you. This was not only not presented but took a day to produce. They seemed surprised that I asked if my dinner reservations were made as if I should have known they were and seemed to expect me to look back at my old email to remember exactly what I booked. In the end, this all worked out but again, you just had to check up on things and hound a little to make sure. That is not what you should be doing at a place like this. If you want flawless service, go to the Ritz Cancun but I am optimistic the Rosewood will get this figured out over time. I do want to give appropriate credit to Mariane who was trying to make things happen and address our issues. She also was able to negotiate us out of 50% of a fee for our airport transportation that got double booked more as a fault of mine and my travel agent than the hotel. So I will say if you are the finicky service type who will get annoyed by every flaw, you should stay away for now. Beyond concierge, the staff were in general very friendly and eager to please. You are constantly interacting with them because of relying on golf carts and boats (if you want to be leisurely) to get around. This part all went very well and was not the drag I feared it might be. In general the staff are very friendly (some really stand out like Fernando) and speak very adequate English. However, there is definitely a lack of polish and not quite the same level of warmth we experienced at the Four Seasons Costa Rica or Cancun Ritz. FYI, I would not really trust the butlers to do anything that involves more concierge-like services. It doesn't seem that works well but otherwise, as it pertained to our room, the butlers were attentive and delivered. Spa - It opened a couple of weeks before we arrived. My wife and I both had Body Sense treatments the day of our arrival. They were great and I thought the Spa setting was really unique and fantastic. The locker room facilities are among the best I have seen. It was a tranquil setting and we had none of the construction issues mentioned by others. Again, it is not the most polished experience (no men's locker room attendant) but that will no doubt improve with time. As far as the fitness facilities, they were solid. Several cardio machines (maybe 3-4 elliptical and 3-4 treadmill and 3-4 bikes) each with a TV and a nice complement of say 10-12 nautilus machines, free weight dumbells and ball. They were in nice room with lots of light and water, dried fruits and nuts were provided. It wasn't huge but certainly was adequate. I was in there several times and never with more than 2-3 others. Food - We found the food to be very good. We ate at Punta Bonita most days for lunch and once for dinner. The fish tacos at lunch are fantastic and actually pretty reasonably priced. Dinner there was also solid. Entrees are primarily very simple grilled meats with a selection of sauces. My wife's shrimp with lime/coriander/cilantro oil were excellent. My fish was excellent but the ajillo sauce was a little bland. We ate lunch and dinner at Casa de lago once. The lunch menu was almost exactly the same as Punta Bonita (so I agree they could use more variety) and dinner (much panned on this site) is not for the meat and potatoes crowd. This is pretty "haute" cuisine with some seemingly odd combinations but I have to say our food was excellent and we really enjoyed our dinner there. My wife had a shrimp with linguine and I had the suckling pig. Both were delicious though I am sure a food critic could pick them apart a little. Their version of a classic chocolate dessert with a scoop of vanilla on the side is among the best I have had (and that is saying something!). Another note, the food is pricey but by no means out of line with what you pay in a resort like this. If you are going to sweat that, do not stay in a place like this. We also went into PDC two nights. Once to Yaxche and once to John Gray. It is a must to sit in the back garden at Yaxche, otherwise don't bother. The food there is good (and pretty good value) and I was glad to eat something more "authentic" but can't say it was spectacular. John Gray was very good food and I recommend but the service was a bit slow. The concierge told us before that the service is better at John Gray in Puerto Morelos. PDC is definitely worth the trip at least one night. While a bit crowded and touristy, it has great energy and I found it much more charming than tacky. Activities - we did a snorkeling trip that was planned through the concierge. We had a private guide and transportation. While the guide (Sylvia) was absoutely fantastic and the chance to snorkel through an underground cenote and cave system was really cool and unique (definitely something worth doing once), this trip was a bit of a rip off at $400 for two people. Again, I am not going to stay at a place like this and sweat every dollar but that seemed like a lot, particularly because it was supposed to be a two stop trip (cenote and then the lagoon at Akumal) but the visibility at Akumal was no good so we bailed the second part. For two stops, I think it would have been more worth it but it wasn't great value. Golf - We played El Camelon once. It is a very solid course and a nice level of challenge without being overly difficult (although you can count on stiff wind I think). Was in fantastic shape as PGA tourney had just been held there. I wouldn't call it a particularly noteworthy course and there was a little less dramatic scenery than I had anticipated but it is solid. There is a good bit of construction around the course but it wasn't overly annoying. All in all, it is certainly worth playing if you are a golfer but not something to go out of your way to see like in Four Season Costa Rica or Manele Bay. Also, I found the level of service and the clubhouse to be mediocre compared to those other high-end resort golf experiences. This was more like what you get at a high-end public course in the US. Bottom line is for spectacular room, grounds and good location in Riviera Maya, this is a great resort that I would recommend and expect to only get better over time."

• Travel date: 12th March 2008

An Excellent Experience

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"My husband, 17 year old son and I just returned from a vacation at the newest Rosewood. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed the experience. No photos of the Rosewood Mayakoba fully capture the atmosphere of watching birds on the small island opposite your dock and private plunge pool, swimming in the inifinity edge pool by the restaurant while gazing at the small boats ferrying guests to their suites, relaxing by the ocean or wandering along the path through the mangroves (if you decline a ride on the golf carts). If artificial "mexican ruins" and the incessant throbbing of music hold appeal, the Rosewood would fail to satisfy. If quiet elegance delivered by a pleasant staff in a beautiful setting defines your vacation goal, you should not be disappointed by this resort. We had dinner one evening at the Rosewood (and daily breakfast). Having enjoyed dining at many fine restaurants in France and other countries, we rated the dinner at the Rosewood as being excellent. My teenage son chose selections for every course and is still talking about the "great meal" at the hotel. Although the resort might not hold appeal for all young adults, he enjoyed his morning run through the mangroves and along the beach followed by a shower in our private courtyard (one of 3 showers in our suite) and a fine breakfast buffet. With guidance from the hotel staff, we visited Tulum and Playa del Carmen. The staff was frank about the different activities that might appeal to us. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. We will definitely return! EMLE, Falmouth, Maine"

• Travel date: 5th March 2008

Very pleased

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I would like to share our wonderful Rosewood experience Feb. 23-26. My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 3-night stay in the beachfront suites, #608. We could literally take 10 steps from our patio and were standing on the beautiful beach. Personally, I can't imagine staying in any other room because of the close proximity to the beach and pool. The view is spectacular!!! ROOM: We thought our room was wonderful. We especially enjoyed the view and how we could open our door at night and hear the ocean. (there was a screen to keep insects out, however this was not a problem) The beds were divine and sooooooo comfortable. The overhead Rain shower was awesome. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning our room and restocking towels at least two times daily. Loved the Lady Primrose products. Our butlers were friendly and most helpful. Only problem we had (and, this was a biggie). My husband ordered a bottle of champagne (as a surprise), but it never arrived even after confirming order with JC, our butler two different times. Honestly, I think it was just a lack of language communication. Our plunge pool was sparkling clean and heated perfectly, so we could enjoy it at night. SPA: I was able to make use of the amazing spa, which just opened the week before. From what I could tell, everything was in place and working properly. The women and men's area are separated, but both can enjoy the common outdoor relaxation area. As for the women's area there was a very large Jacuzzi, cold plunge pool, and a beautiful indoor relaxation area where refreshments are served. For the treatments, the guest is escorted down a winding path to individual treatment room/cabanas. Loved this concept. POOL: Each day we found ourselves at the beach pool. Service was excellent. The staff quickly accommodated us with towels for our chaise loungers and bought refreshments promptly. We never had to wait long for service. Although, we never experienced the main pool, it did look very inviting. In fact, we had wished the beach pool could of been a little larger and designed like the main pool. **side note-** we wish they offered an adults only pool. We love kids (have 2 of our own), but since we were there for relaxation and romance, an adult only area would have been appreciated. FOOD: We were very pleased with our dinners at the resort. The service was good, however maybe a little slow between courses. Not a big issue though. We probably enjoyed the Agave Azul Bar as much as anything.
 In addition to its unparalleled tequila menu, Agave Azul features seafood ceviches and cocktails. It’s a very hip setting over looking the beautiful lagoon. It was fabulous! For comparison, we walked down to the Mayakoba Fairmont and quickly realized that was not for us. Too large! We had lunch there one afternoon and it was mediocre at best. We also, walked down the beach to Mandarin Oriental and IMO, we weren't impressed. It just looked too Miami/South Beach; like a "W" hotel to us and had a cold feel to it…. made us appreciate Rosewood even more! I guess what impressed us most was how hard the staff was trying to please their guests and how it delivers 5 star quality they tout. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay. Our only drawback to returning would be it doesn’t provide an adult only area for couples looking for relaxation and romance!!"

• Travel date: 4th March 2008

Rosewood not ripe yet

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba Feb 15th for 3 nights and while the grounds were gorgeous, we encountered many problems. I'm not going to be cruel in my review nor am I going to make light of the situations, I'm just going to list what happened to us in chronological order and let you make your own decisions. Room check in is at 3 and we were not able to check in until 4. Our bags were never delivered to us and we had to walk back to the front desk and retrieve them ourselves even after calling several times. Our plunge pool was stagnant and the jets were not running so it was a cold pool filled with dead insects, took them a day to fix that and they knew it was broken upon check in and still put us in the room. Workmen and hammering everywhere from 9 to 5 even on the weekends. Our spa experience consisted of constant hammering outside our massage huts and there were even workmen in the women's locker room and a woman showed up in the men's locker room....there was also no soap, shampoo, conditioner, qtips, hairdryers, or anything else you would expect in a locker room. When the staff asked me how my experience was I told them there was no soap in the showers and they told me they just opened and that is why. I went to the concierge and he told us he would make a reservation for us at Maroma hotel for dinner, we showed up to Maroma and could not get past the gates, there was no reservation made for us...that was a complete let down that I have never encountered anywhere before in my life and I've traveled to 5 star hotels all over the world. I must say our butler was extremely nice, courteous and once our plunge pool was fixed the room experience was amazing. The beach had a lot of rocks in the water and there was no heat in the jacuzzis in the pool, they said the pipes were broken when we asked. I feel like in a year or 2 the resort may be able to work out the kinks but I would certainly stay away for now."

• Travel date: 25th February 2008

Overpromised. Underdelivered.

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"I have stayed at Rosewood's Jumby Bay in Antigua and consider it one of the best resorts in the world. I was very excited for Mayakoba to open. Certainly they have work to do. Although the resort is lovely and the rooms are wonderful, the service is confusing. Often times you'd ask for something (eg Me: Does the jacuzzi work?) and they would offer something completely unexpected (Mayakoba: No, but if you'd like we can ask someone to go to the pool in your room and turn on the jets there and raise the temperature. Me: Great! Thanks.) then not follow through on it. At one point, I found myself waiting for three different items that were never delivered. It seemed as though the staff is working off of a script. If you stray from that script they will not know what to say and will probably not respond properly. For example, at dinner if you order water, they will ask you if you'd like lime. Unless everyone at your table wants lime in their water or doesn't, the staff will get this wrong. Some people will have lime, others will not, some people won't get ice. Very confusing. There is a system of having a butler in place to personally attend to your needs. I found them to be hovering. And unable to properly fulfill my requests. (The pool was never warmed up or the jets turned on after four days.) The service was so disappointing that it actually made me more stressed out on my vacation."

• Travel date: 22nd February 2008

Sublime!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I have just returned from a fabulous week long stay with my husband and 2 children ages 5 and 9. This property is fantastic! It is truly like Venice met the Jungle. The suites are amazing. (and come with a personal butler who will unpack for you and attend to your every need) The bathrooms and outdoor shower are amazing as are the private plunge pools and rooftop sundeck .We LOVED our location on the lagoon(#421) and found it much more special than staying on the beach. It was very private and the bird watching was so cool. We also loved taking the boats on the lagoon . The boats are beautiful and so relaxing.The 2 hotel pools were fantastic. The pool located close the lobby was especially warm and the staff was continually coming around with liitle goodies such as cucumbers for your eyes, wet cold cloths and mists, smoothies and sorbets.The overall service was outstanding. The staff just could not do enough for you. As for as the negatives, the food needs to be improved. Nothing was bad, but there needs to be alot more variety. We went off property to eat often. I think alot of people had the same feelings so hopefully Rosewood will revamp their menus . But, although we are real foodies and part of our favorite part of vacationing is dining, we found the Rosewood to be so unique and wonderful that it really just didn't matter!"

• Travel date: 21st February 2008

Hotels near Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba is also called

• rosewood mayakoba hotel
  • rosewood mayakoba playa del carmen