Beware

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"We had two ok nights, as much as can be expected in a three star hotel. However on the third night and fortunately our last, the mgt allowed a private party to rent the space around the pool and they had VERY, VERY, VERY loud amplified DJ music and announcer. The sound check gave us an indication of how loud it would be so we made plans to go out late since we had been told by the front desk that the party would end at midnight. We returned at 11 pm with our two children, ages 3 and 7, to discover that the party had just got underway. At 2am, we were still being wildly rocked in our room by the noise and went to the front desk to ask when it would stop and yet another lie that it would end at 3am. Finally after trying to contact a manager, to no avail, and waiting around in the lobby and trying to get some quiet, even sat in the elevator to escape the noise, the party ended at 4.30 am. There were many complaints that night and you definitely would feel totally RIPPED OFF,if this were to happen to you, since this hotel is not inexpensive, 150 a night anyway. The front desk clerks continued to lie about the time it would end and so the integrity for this hotel, in my opinion, is totally lost. The hotel guests had no power to regain their night of sleep as the event had also paid for use of the premises and that overrode any customer service on behalf of the hotel guests. The hotel already had problems with sound as the walls and doors allowed all kinds of sounds, including coughing sounds coming from other rooms. This event really , literally, shook the windows. Apparently this kind of party happens frequently and what the hotel does is write down your room number but then nothing else happens. Currently, I am writing this from their free internet service, one of the positives about the hotel. The venue for the type of party that it was was TOTALLY inappropriate and should have been held in an enclosed space. I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend staying here because they cannot guarantee that it won´t happen again and if they did guarantee it, they would just be lying."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of December 2005

Loved Margaritas

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Margarits was a VERY nice hotel in old downtown Cancun. The rooms are clean, well-appointed and spacious. Marble floors and entirely marble bathroom feels like a palace of your own. The TV functioned fine, but after Wilma there was no cable, only local spanish stations. There are small balconies with a view of the pool. The hotel staff was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful, especially when suggesting restaurants and activities. Within 1-2 blocks is any and all local flavor anyone could want. Excellent restaurants with great food at good prices, bars, nightclubs & even taco stands were within walking distance. It's not a 5-star resort, but for the price I think it would be hard to do better. Two thumbs way up!!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of November 2005

Serves it's purpose just fine

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"This Hotel meets the basics, it has everything you need. It's a decent price and it is near the bus station and restaurants. There is a pool, there is air conditioning, there's a shower a tv with American channels and an elevator. There is room service, wake up calls and the guys at the front desk will answer and help you anyway they can.
It was always busy, hustling and bustling, but nothing wrong with the place. The only issue I had with the place was the bathroom. The fact that there was there huge air shaft in the bathroom with a screen and I was worried that maybe someone had a hidden camera or something. Also our bathroom sink was collapsing and it was uneven. Aside from that it was fine. The sheets were stained but not dirty and the cleaning staff always gave us fresh towels and made our beds."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of August 2005

Great Hotel for the Price

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Stayed for 3 nights before I stayed at the Flamingo Cancun. Do not expect the 4 star quality for this hotel, but it certainly exceeded my expectation.

The location of the hotel is so conveniently in the middle of all the action in the downtown area. Lots of great restaurant nearby and convenience store.
The bed is firm and the room is quiet (don't get the street side). I slept well all 3 nights. The pool is clean, and the room is also clean to my standard.

My main accolade to this hotel is its location, which is at the heart of downtown.
There is a great SPA place 2 blocks (if you come out of the hotel go to the left direction along the Yaxchillan avenue) off the hotel. $45 for 1.5 hrs of massage. Can't beat that.

Going one more block on the Yaxchillan avenue from where the SPA place, you'll find another side street on your left, and if you proceed to that street, you'll run into a small park where all the locals are gathering after sunset. It has small restaurants and street performers and street vendor. If you like to get a real of exposure to the Mexican culture and the friendly people, that is a hidden jewel.

If you continue on across the park, you'll find other restaurants that has a better price than the one on the main drag such as the ones on Tulum and Yaxchillan avenue.

The bus station is only 3 to 4 blocks away from the hotel. So, from the airport, take the ADO bus (15 pesos) to the bus station, and walk to the hotel. Be careful crossing the streets, though. That would save you a bundles. But, if you're travelling with your family and little children, take the taxi. It is more convenient.

Las Parillas is a good restaurant to try. Lot's of internet cafe to do your email for 5-6 pesos per 15 minutes. I think I enjoyed the downtown area as much as I enjoy the touristy "hotel zone".

If you are adventurous and have a strong stomach, you should try the taco-stands on the streets. Warning: must exercise caution. Do not put the hot sauce or anything that has been standing around on the open space on your food, but the taco itself (cooked well) is very good.

I think if your goal on your trip is to lay on the beach and go to the clubs this hotel IS NOT for you. However, if you are a budget traveller or someone who loves to explore different cultures, people and food, staying in this hotel will definitely get your money's worth."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of April 2005

Everything was great

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I have stayed at the hotel a couple of years ago when traveling to cancun, and was thinking about planning a trip back and staying here because of the staff and location. The location is awsome, local shopping and dining are all around you (and the prices between downtown and the hotel zone are a lot less for the same items, even simple bottled water) there shops like a pharmacy, as well as a currency exchange(with better rates than the hotel zone) within a block, as well as the touristy shopping within 3 blocks. The bus stop to get you out to the hotel zone picks up only 3 short blocks away, of which you can pass through a nice sized park. The locals are all friendly, and are willing to guide you in the right direction, most speak english, but are paitent with you if you don't know spanish very well. The hotel room was nice, what I would expect for the price, but was very clean and well maintained. There is a nice breakfast buffet at the restaurant that is pretty good as well. The staff is extremely friendly, they will help you out with everything. For beach access, they let us know that they have a sister property on the beach, and that we can go there and use their pools as well as the beach cabanas which was very nice, i believe it was called the avalon, it's near the start of the hotel zone. The only thing else I have to say is that everyone that is complining about the online bookings through travelocity, expedia, hotels, etc. is that when you book you can REQUEST the room type, but at the hotel it is ONLY A REQUEST and if that room type is sold out, then your request is not met. I have learned this by working in the hotel biz, and know it's best just to book direct anyway, plus the price is always around the same......if not cheaper because you don't have to pay the booking fees which range from at least 15-25 dollars a night! Margaritas Hotel, I'll be back!"

• Travel date: Sat 19th of March 2005

One night stand

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We had to stay here one night before taking a Yukatan tour. And that's where it's for ; 1 or 2 nights. Simple hotel with clean "not so big" rooms. Slightly uninterrested staff, but nice nextdoor restaurant. And more of them in the near vicinity. And shops and more. Bit noisy in the early morning when you hav a streetside room. For the rest OK."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of December 2004

good hotel

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"well all these people were bashing this hotel. when i stayed in july, i found it pretty cozy. its not too fancy, not too ghetto, but just right. We had no problems and the service was great. The location was in walking distance for shopping and dining. You can also see a lot of the residents and how they live around there too. Personally, ive never had so much fun in my life when i went to cancun, and nothing about the experience was bad."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of September 2004

Not the best...not the worst.

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Depending on what time of year you go (I went in August), be prepared for the absence of air conditioning outside of the room itself. There is only one small elevator. The television in my room did not work during my entire stay and the manager said there was no replacement. The toilet repeatedly malfunctioned and the soda vending machine was apparently there for decoration since it looked liked it had not worked in years. The hotel also turned out to be quite a distance from the tourist attractions and if you stick to taxis, your wallet will shrink quickly. You can take the bus, but be prepared to walk about four blocks to the bus stop (not a big deal) and take note of where you got on for the return trip to the hotel.
The good news is the hotel food is good, if a little expensive. The overall hotel ambiance is kinda cool...traditional. The neighborhood (downtown) is real Mexico and not glitzy tourist, which can be interesting. The hotel staff is friendly and polite and as far as rooms go, I've stayed in far worse in the U.S."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of August 2004

a night mare in the day !!

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"arriving at the cancun margaritas cancun,we spent one hour at the desk befor check-in trying to clear up the issue .which was the hotel mgr. said travelocity had res. a standard room for four adults .two seniors .and two mature adults the two seniors being my husbund and self and my grandson and son The hotel claimed to have sent a fax to travelocity re: this but never rec. a reply according to the hotel ,I have, since returning home sent a message to travelocity re: this.I have not received any response .I do not know where the blame lies but needless to say our stay at the margaritas was not pleasent ,the one elevator was out of service the day we checked out and this delayed our leaving in time for our trip to the airport and Oh! IF your television is out do not expect any service our set was out and while they sent someone up to look at it that was all he was able to do 'LOOK at it for more than 45.min. he than left was unable to fix it nothing was ever done about it for four people we received 2 towels and 2 hand towels. stay away from the magaritas cancun !!"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of August 2004

Ghetto Hotel

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"The Margaritas is a low cost hotel offered by Travelocity and others in a low cost package.
It is located in a ghetto type neighborhood. Not
located near beaches or tourist attractions. Had to take taxi's and buses to get to any of the main attractions. Not a very nice neighborhood but the hotel was okay....just okay."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004