Good
( 12014 reviews)

every angle a postacrd

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Anyone who has had a bad experience (if that is possible) at this resort, I would urge you try it agian. aside from the awe-striking beauty in virtually every single detail of the place, I found the cleanliness of the building as well as the friendliness of the staff to be easily warrented its somewhat pricey tab. from the colors of the interior, to even the angle at which the sun strikes it throughout the day, every single feature of the facility encouraged a relaxing state; a real pleasure after clubbing all night or being mobbed on the buses. even areas of the hotel under repair/construction were discreetly out of sites way and unnoticeable. We alre already planning our next trip there and while we want to stay cheaper the next time, it may not be possible to stay away from this hotel.-oh, and anyone who whines that CanCun is too "Americanised" , please do everyone a favor and keep you ungrateful a** home, Mexicans are keenly aware anyway of how cheap some non-american tourists are when it comes to gratuity. If anything, they deserve to be overtipped at this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of April 2003

18th Anniversary at Gran Melia

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My wife and I just returned from our 18th anniversary in Cancun. We stayed at the Gran Melia. It was AWESOME. View was spectacular. Service was extremely courteous. Overall, one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at. We will certainly stay there again and I totally recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of April 2003

la cucaracha

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"my girlfriend and i stayed at the melia for two nights. i was astonished at the size and beauty of the hotel. being a five star hotel, i figured it would be a nice place to stay. boy was i wrong. it took over 5 minutes for us to get checked in. we saw two cockroaches in our room this first night. my girlfriend made a call, and they came in and sprayed our room. too bad i was still in bed. i had forgotten how raid smelled. it was also pretty expensive to buy food and beer. i now see why people do the all-inclusive while staying in cancun."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of April 2003

excellent choice

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"we started out our vacation with lost luggage. So we weren't in the best spirits when we arrived at the hotel. That quickly changed. The hotel is really beautiful and extremely well kept. We spent extra to stay in the Royal Pyramid. It was well worth it. In the morning, it included a continental breakfast ( cereal, assorted pastries, juices, fruit, croissants, toast, assorted meats and cheeses) more than enough. The staff was always helpful and constantly waiting on us. In the afternoon, there are free sodas and snacks. A plus for kids. In the evening, again snacks like chicken wings, tenders, pizza, and other items, sodas, and a full bar. AFter that from 7-9, desserts. The kids loved the choices. The breakfast is a plus because it is only for the Royal Pyramid and never crowded and saves time in the morning if you are off on a tour. The buffet in the hotel will cost you about $58 for a family for four and it gets very crowded. I also booked on expedia and received a free dinner at the Italian restuarant. The food was excellent and we could order anything we wanted from appetizers to desserts. They even brought a pillow for my feet while we ate. The dinner alone was worth about $120. The pools are fabulous. There are always enough chairs and cabanas. No need to get up early to reserve one. The beach is beautiful and clean. The surf is rough on this side of the ocean, there is a strong undertow. My kids are good swimmers and they struggled at times. There are guards on all the time. The bus trip to Chitzen-Itza was well worth it, especially on Sundays since they take you to the pyramids at night for the light show. The same price as the rest of the week, but on Sundays it included the show. Xel-ha is great if you like to snorkel. My kids also liked the lazy river and jumping off the cliffs. They take the kids pictures. Xcaret is also worth a visit. The buses are expensive, but the buses also run there. We didn't try them. A great hotel and location."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of April 2003

Absolutely love the Gran Melia Cancun

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I stayed at the Melia Cancun from 3/7/03-3/10/03. The service, food, restaurants and accomodations were excellent! I went with some friends and we did the breakfast buffet ($18 or so) each morning, it was worth it. The room was very clean with comfy beds and nice size bathroom. The two pools are huge with a swim up bar, good wait staff. The concierge recommended great restaurants to go to and was very helpful. The spa is very nice! I just loved it and can't wait to return!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of April 2003

The best.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We just returned after a week in March, 03 and had the best time at a great resort. The people were great the beach was fantasitic. We will go back next year for sure. RDS"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of March 2003

Awesome Hotel, Luxury, Service, Highly Recommended

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"We stayed there over July 4th, 2002. Can't say enough good things. Exterior view stunning as you drive up, much more so than the Marriott and Ritz near by. Tropical Atrium is breath taking as you step inside the hotel. It wasn't very busy. We checked in early, and asked nicely for a nice room with good view, and they gave me center of pyramid, highest floor, 38XX, when I only paid for the side rooms from Expedia. Do try to stay in the central pyramid. We arrived around 9:30am, checked in, and physically got into the room around 12noon. There is a change room in the lobby for you to put on your swim wear, but we didn't use it cuz it was a short wait. The hotel just gives you a very grand feeling, from the outside pyramid architecture, to the atrium. The room was large, with balcony. Balcony is large enough to have several lounge folding chairs, and for lovebirds to have some fun....so its not just a little area. Bed was comfortable, sheets clean, A/C strong. Bathroom has both a toilet and a bidet. Room has classy design, and all the light switches are located next to the bed. I think one of the reason it looks grand from outside is because of the golf course. If i remember correctly, the Ritz Carlton is behind some single/double story buildings, so from the main street, it doesn't even compare to the Melia. I think its perfectly located, just a short bus ride to SrFrog/HardRock. If you get too close to town, the hotels are smaller or more crowded, plus, there really isn't much difference time wise to get to town. These are my reasons why I dont think the Melia is out of the way. Taxis are right outside the hotel, but if you want to take a bus, recommended, then you would have to walk out to the street. Again, i don't think its a far walk, cuz the property is just big, giving you that grander look. Now to the restaurants. I ate at 2 hotel restaurants, both were good. I believe the Italian restaurant even gave foot rest to all the ladies. Great service. Only slight issue i, and for a few days, they were broken. Great pool, one nite we swam around 12midnite, no one around, kinda dark, very romantic. Only thing that late is that i think the main door to outside was locked, you'd have to go thru a side door or something. If you can or know your way around or have time, dont buy the tour packages in the hotel. Go to town and buy them much cheaper. We were overall impressed by the design and architecture of the hotel, it is different, (not just a regular rectangular building as usual)so it gave us a "wow, its really really nice" feeling. Combined with Luxury, Quality, Service, breath-taking view, its just absolutely an awesome place to stay, honeymoon, vacation....I highly recommend this place."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of February 2003

Excellent Stay

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I have read the other reviews and we had a great time at this hotel. It was extremely clean and the service was stellar. The management of the hotel went out of their way to see that every little item was done for you. They even bring the ice to the room for you.

The only WARNING I would give is that stationed around the lobby and first floor are representatives to get you to "view the property" (read TIMESHARE). They offer you free breakfast buffet, etc. to sign up. Since my wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary we kindly said, no thank you and they left us alone.

At the airport be prepared for a number of offers for "information" that are nothing more than sales pitches. Do not stop at the immigration/customs area to get ground transportation. Keep on going to the outside. You will be glad you did."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of January 2003

Loved the Gran Melia, Cancun

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Just returned from a week in Cancun. The Gran Melia was the best hotel experience we have ever had. Paying a bit more for Royal Pyramid Service,
the rooms were spotless, the beds turned down every night. There were plenty
of little extras like slippers and robes. A marvellous breakfast was served daily, snacks and beverages available all day, an open bar for two hours at
night. The service was first class. Will definately stay there again."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of January 2003

Very Nice

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"I spent 7 days at the Melia Cancun with my wife. last July. Was it hot and humid? Not really. Much less than expected. The cool ocean breaze was nice. I really enjoyed this trip. The room was very nice and comfortable. I usually don't sleep well in hotels, but this bed was SO comfortable, that I slept like a baby the whole time! This area of Cancun is quiet. No parties here. You'll have to catch the bus (for 6 pesos) and go north to get to the party area. The beach was beautiful and quiet. The pools were beautiful also, but the water was too warm. I preferred the refreshing tempurature of the ocean water. Here is a list of the problems encountered, but I consider them fairly minor and they did not detract from the overall pleasant experience: Upon arrival the TV remote did not work. They quickly brought me a new one. There is no free coffee. Be prepared to buy it every morning (the breakfast buffet was $18 per person, so we didn't partake). My telephone went dead 3 times during the 7 night stay. They would bring a complete new phone, telling me that something burned out. Upon arrival there was a fresh fruit basket in my room, which we assumed was for us. My wife ate a grape from it when someone knocked at the door. They informed us it was a mistake to give us the fruit basket and quickly confiscated it (very unclassy). Ice machines were usually out of ice. The hotel was probably about a third full. I'd hate to try to get ice when it was full. I was ripped off 10 dollars when exchanging dollars for pesos at the lobby. Be sure you count the money yourself. The A/C went out in the hotel one afternoon. It was fixed by that night. If you're looking for a quiet, romantic, relaxing vacation, this is the place. We were so comfortable in the hotel area, that we didn't do any of the touristy excursions. We went in town a few times to buy some supplies for the room at the local grocery store. Very good prices. We went into the north beach area to try some dance places, but Cristina
's which supposedly catered to a slightly older crowd was closed down. It's now Bull Frogs. You can imagine what the clientele is like. We asked about getting into Dady O's, which had long lines outside. If you tip the doorman, get unlimited bar tab, etc, you can get in immediately for around $80 for two. Nevermind. It wasn't worth it to us. Taking the bus for 6 pesos is kind of fun. Just be sure to hang on. The driver doesn't wait till you sit down. You'll be tossed about like a rag doll if you're not carefull."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of January 2003