Occidental Tucancun

Avenida Kukulcan, km. 13,5 Lote 24, Cancun 77500 Mexico

Tucancun a Good 4 Star Resort

Good

"We have been to Cancun four times and have stayed in 6 star resorts down to 4 star resorts, so we knew what to expect at the Tucancun. The rooms were very clean, we never saw any bugs. We had an ocean view on the seventh floor, with no balcony. Our room had a shower stall, no tub and two double beds. We also used the safe in the room and never had any trouble with theft. The grounds of the hotel were kept up and they were constantly cleaning the resort. The pools were clean and in good repair. There was only one pool with a swim up bar and that was the activities pool. We stayed away from there because it was full of spring breakers from Canada. I must say the Canadian spring breakers were well mannered and very mild compared to the ones from the USA. The beach was excellent, quite wavy, but swimable every day. The resturants were moderate. The Italian was a buffet but they would make you pasta with any sause you choose. Service was good there. The other buffet was good as well, there was a dish called beer beef that was amazing. The snack bar by the pool had hamburgers, hot dogs, fruit, and other snack foods. It was open from 12 to 4:30. The buffet resturantes served breakfast every day. They had omlets to order, fruit, pastries, and other foods. This was probably the worst meal of the day, no flavor. The Terrace resturant only takes reservations, you can only make a reservation at 10:0oam the day you want to eat there. We arrived to make a reservation at 10:10 am and the resturant was full till 9:00pm. We ate here twice and the food was moderate, the service was great. Juan, Gerry, and Jasmine are wonderful we even ended up tipping them they were so great. Overall this resort is a good value for what you receive. There are things they definetly need to improve on, but there is more good than bad. If the price was right I would definetly return to this resort."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of March 2003

never going back

"only stayed for two nights. My wallet was stolen from our room. Overheard others saying that someone had tried to get in their room also. The staff did not seem overly concerned that someone had stolen my wallet, but they were concerned about trying to charge us again for something we had already paid for, thank god we had our reciept."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of February 2003

Awesome Totally Awesome! March 2000

"My husband and myself along with 12 other friends headed to Cancun March of 2000. Upon arriving at the resort, we could not have asked for more hospitality. The greet staff was excellent, along with the front desk workers. We stayed for 1 week, wish it could have been longer. The accommodations were very neat and clean, any thing we needed, it was right there. The food through out was excellent. I liked the one restaurant, they had a different dinner theme every night. (Ex.: one night Japanese, then maybe Medeterranian, French, Italian, etc. ) gave you a great variety. They also had the American Buffet, so for those who can't get away from the good old Cheeseburger and Fries, it is there for you. Jualapeno poppers too!! They have a mexican restaurant too that is strictly Mexican, ( Even tried Cactus...) The Itailian Pasta restaurant was a favorite. The breakfasts were great. All the fresh fruit you could imagine. Watch the Milk though if you are a fan... I am not sure if it was Whole milk or Goat milk... I am used to Skim... so it was a shock to the system... The chef would cook your eggs right in front of you to your liking... ( Great Omelletes!!)The bars are great, lots of side entertainment to take part in. The drinks were ever flowing, and I agree not very strong but it let you go for the whole day.. I am sure they would mix them up for you if you wanted. Tequilla Poppers were a "head shaker" As for the pools, they were a high light.. Plenty of room for all. Several pools... The only thing... if you want to be where the excitement is and get involved in the activities, get to the Main pool on the lower level bright and early to reserve your lounge by 8am. Other wise the other pools were great too. Swim up bars, or bars that were just feet away. The beach was breath taking... I don't what else to say about it. A definate slice of heaven. All in all I would rate this resort as an all-inclusive top shelf!! Would recommend it to anyone and have sent many people there.."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of February 2003

Great place....great people

"Well I have no idea why others complain but this place rocks! I mean let's be realistic we all go for the sun, drinks, beach and fun. The rooms are good especially if you a get a ocean view room. We went at such a great time and the staff were very friendly and made amazing drinks!! I have friends who stayed at the Oasis and payed 600$ more and hated it!....what a great place for the money and the animaters are great people. THIS PLACE IS GREAT!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of February 2003

tucan time

Good

"spent the sec. week of feb. at the tucan,had the best time.the food was great,the drinks were great ,the rooms were spotless,you won't believe the beach.the staff puts on a great time at the pool bar.the service was realy good.trying another island next winter,but will go back agian."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of February 2003

Was ****** Great

"Ok all you spring breakers it was great haha dont know what thos people above me went. the pools are nice there is like three of them they never close so many women all we could eat and Drink.. Yo its a must go and this hotel was very clean and plenty to do like drink...."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of February 2003

the trip should have been half price

"the trip was ok but know where near what mlt told me and my friends. the food was ok but the same thing every day and night. the staff at the front desk should get fired becouse of how mean he was to my wife. we paid for a ocean view and were very disatisfied to get a view of mall. martin at the front desk said that there was a room with ocean view but we had to pay more money. the couple we went with paid the same money they got a view the next day that we were there we talked to martin again he stated that lots of rooms had ocean view and available but he woldnt give us one. later i talked to the so called mlt rep he said there was nothing he could do so i went to front desk becouse i noticed someone else i asked him about getting a room he said for fifty dollars he would so i did we finaly got a room with view and balcony."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of February 2003

very good value

Good

"Just got back from my first trip to Cancun, I have certainly stayed in a lot higher end hotels, but found that value for money for this vacation couldn't be better. The room was very large and very clean, (I never once saw a bug in the hotel) the food was fairly average, my husband and I preferred the italian restaurant overall. the beach was fabulous, the staff were very very friendly. and at a price that is easy to take we will definatly go again. The hotel isn't too large as is some of the others which meant that you didn't have to run a marathon to pick up anything that you forgot in your room.Great choice"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of February 2003

Things may have changed...

"I stayed here way back in June 2000 but thought I'd add my thoughts anyway.

My friend and I were so lucky with our room. Firstly, when we saw the hotel we were disgusted. It's brown. That may be normal in Mexico but not in Europe. Also the hotel faced the back of a mall.

When we checked in we were given a room on the first floor so we were laughing because we wouldn't even be able to see over the mall, we'd just see the airvents. But when we opened the door we discovered we were on the other side of the hotel with the most beautiful sea view. Our room was really nice and we had a huge balcony with a jacuzzi on it. We saw some of the other rooms though and they were not anywhere near as nice - no balconies, lagoon view (at least not an airvent view) and much smaller and just not as nice.

The activities pool was fun to watch, the main buffet wasn't very good but the Italian buffet was adequate. The cocktails were weak but at least that meant you could drink them all day long and the stretch of beach by the hotel was absolutely beautiful."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of January 2003

Canadian Response

Good

"We've been to Cancun twice. The recent trip to Tucancun hotel. Location is ideal. Near a mall and a 5 minute walk to other plazas. The beach is awesome, it is cleaned every morning. Rooms are clean with full bathrooms. There are 3 restaraunts and a lunch buffet at the pool. Food is very good with lots of selection. The Italian food is very good. Three pools to sun at with lots of chairs. Staff are awesome. The night shows are not a big draw but check them out. We killed ourselves laughing. We have travelled a lot and this is a wonderful hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of January 2003

Brilliant Holiday...

"I went here with my parents in 2007 and i can honestly say it has been one of the loveliest holidays i have ever been on, the hotel is beautiful, the staff are polite friendly and extremely helpful... theres a huge choice of food and the waiters try their best to help out whenever necessary....
When i went there were monkeys up in the trees that were highly entertaining, the hotel is set almost inside a jungle kind of theme and i still think of it from time to time now....
I havent been on a holiday that has lived up to the expectations of any of the iberostar hotels i have stayed in (including cuba, brazil and this one) I can honestly say out of the three this is by far the best.....
I would return within a heart beat
If you are thinking of booking this resort i suggest you go ahead with it... I always look at holiday reviews and i think there have been some comments about this hotel that would have put me off going and i just want to get my point across that it was magnificent and i disagree with all the negative comments about the hotel....
One of the comments was about the orange walls, i thought they gave the hotel a real mexican/caribbean feel which was really welcoming....
Enjoy your holiday!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of May 2009

Overall Lovely Holiday- But!!

Good

"The hotel was lovely- great location,gardens fanastic, loved the beach and pool- nice room and the staff very helpful although here comes my but- reception staff need to check that they do not book guests to rooms already occupied.Therefore my first impressions of the hotel service were good After a long flight which was delayed - tired , hungry and needing a shower we wanted to get into our room. We were given our key and after walking about three blocks and up to the top floor - we open the door to discover a couple already in there!! We then walked back to get another key - again we walked- about four blocks ! and again the room had someone in there. By this time we were not happy. The luggage man arrived and he said he'll go back to sort it out- we then had to wait another 25-30 mins - in the corridor . He came back and then took us back on his luggage car to the reception. 15-20 mins later they finally gave us another key - no appologises plus I had to keep askng for them to sort it out. At last we got our own room!.We had not time to shower so went straight to the restaurant. By that time fellow guests from the plane were leaving the restaurants.
I complained to the rep - and a bottle of wine was sent to room. I do not think that was good enough because it was very upsetting and took longer for us to relax.
I do not expect this from a 4 star + hotel considering the money spent is to have everything done for you in a profesional and helpful manner.
Its not just the double bookings but the fact that we could get into other guest rooms-security.
Apart from the above we enjoyed our stay - Although I do agree the manners and loudness of the Americans became annoying at times - I don't think I'll moan about the British again. Plus the lack of consideration regarding the sunbeds- some thing should be done .

I will go back to Mexico and even back to this hotel!

• Travel date: Fri 30th of January 2009

Hotels near Occidental Tucancun

Stayed at Occidental Tucancun? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Occidental Tucancun

• Linda Adams by Linda Adams

"Location Good- you can walk out of the hotel to a shopping centre and to the next resort- "

• Amanda-Louise by Amanda-Louise

"Brilliant with so so much to do.. "

• Amanda-Louise by Amanda-Louise

"Swimming with dolphons was deff a favourite "

Occidental Tucancun is also called