Hotel

Good

This was the best holiday I've ever had!...

Reviewed 16th February 2006

"This was the best holiday I've ever had! I came here with my boyfriend for a 2 week stay and found the hotel brilliant. I was a little worried after booking it as some reviews on websites were quite negative but I am pleased to say that these worries did not come true. The rooms are basic but nice and clean, always had toilet paper and the maids were very contentious - we were in our rooms one day when they came to clean as it was raining and they came back later - many would have left it for that day!! The beaches are stunning, unlike anything I've seen, and when the waves washed up lots of seaweed onto the beach there was staff who removed it! There were always plenty of sun loungers free on the beach, although only a limited number which had sun parasols. The entertainment staff on the beach all day long were always very enthusiastic in getting everyone involved - it was a good laugh! They also had a good range of activities, from water aerobics to cocktail making lessons to bingo on the beach! The only thing was that it took a little while to get served at the beach bar but it wasn't really an issue as it was good to get out of the sun for a bit!! There were also very kind waitresses who walked along the beach bringing you your free all inclusive drinks from the bar! The pools were lovely too, always kept clean, although the pool did turn my white bikini yellow!! However the thing I most enjoyed was the nightlife!! The entertainment staff organised a different night out for each day of the week - great because in our 2 week stay we could go to them all without having to go out every single night! You paid for you ticket, which was about $25 US and you got a wristband which would admit you to all the clubs free plus all you could drink in the pubs and clubs - like the all inclusive deal in the resort! So no need to take much money out! Only we took some to tip the staff in the clubs as they were so attentive! You also got transported to the clubs by coach, but it was up to you to make you own way home! There was lots to do and reps in the hotel wee keen to help. We went to Xel Ha and XCaret, which are like caves and rivers, lots of fish, the chance to swim with dolphins, have you picture taken with parrots, scuba diving, snorkelling, jumping off a cliff into the sea, etc! There was so much to do that we couldn't manage it all!! And ran out of money too - you need to take a fair bit for the trips etc, but we have just booked to go again this year!!!! Really looking forward to it!!"

• Travel date: 16th February 2006

I was originally booked at another hotel...

Reviewed 30th June 2005

"I was originally booked at another hotel but was moved due to health and safety and the oasis beach was a pleasant surprise. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. The food was not the best but no different to any other a/i hotel I’ve stayed in. There are plenty of activities which the staff encourage you to join in. The only downside is there is not much of a beach but overall I enjoyed my stay. "

• Travel date: 30th June 2005

Pleasantly surprised!!

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"After reading the reviews of Calinda Beach & Spa, I'd have to say I was worried, to say the least!! We went to Cancun (never been there before) March 5-9, 2003. The hotel is at the end of the Hotel Zone, which wasn't a problem, except you were usually the last to be dropped off from other tours. The hotel lobby was nice...it was "open air" in the lobby, and hallways. But the rooms had AC. The rooms, were nothing to brag about...they were "well used"...you could say. But, really, if you come to Cancun to spend all your time in the room...then you need to rethink your priorities!!! We were only in the room to sleep, and to shower. We were also concerned because we had heard of people getting things stolen from the rooms. They do have a safe in the closet, that you make up the combination for. The restaurants were OK. The one in the hotel (I forget it's name right now) was open for lunch and supper. We ate all our suppers there, and it was OK. Not alot of variety in the menu, and I was surprised they didn't have more Mexican food on the menu. The other place to eat was the buffet (for breakfast, lunch & dinner). We only had breakfast there, and it was pretty good. Pancakes, made to order omelets, fresh fruit, etc... We didn't ever eat at the beach snack bar, as we were usually gone when that was open. They had 2 nice pools, and a nice beach. There were no waves to speak of, which is good if you have kids. The beach and water was very clean. The staff was all very nice (especially the fun-jet people). I had heard that if you go all inclusive, they tend to ignore you, etc. We didn't find that to be a problem at all. Everyone was very attentive to our needs/wants. And the rumor that they only have Dos XX beer...well, they have Corona too. As well as any mixed drink you could want. If I was going to go back, I would stay here again, we had a great time. Hope you find this helpful! If you go....have a great time!!"

• Travel date: 11th March 2003

I Loved It!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I stayed at the Calinda for Reading week in Feb and I loved it. The place is incredible. I loved the whole atmosphere of the hotel. The hotel staff was great (Carlos, Adonney, Marco). The beach was calm and beautiful, the rooms were clean, the food was good, and the bikini bar is GREAT! (ask for a Dirty Mother!!!!) I am returning next year for sure!"

Calinda Beach and Spa

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"Just spent a week at the Calinda, had a great time, the food was good the service was great We upgraded to a balcony room and it was great, all the service was everything we had hoped for, did this guy who didn't like it ever been to an all inclusive before, did he think he would get top shelf for free, all the Lobster you could eat everynight get real, go to the south and get blown off the beach by 30 mph winds, stay at the Calinda and enjoy the peaceful beach"

• Travel date: 5th March 2003

Please do not stay here!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Experiences are bound to differ! But if you were to have one similar to ours you would be very disappointed. Our experience at the Calinda Beach and Spa was terrible. We stayed there on an all-inclusive package, but ended up spending more on eating out than we had anticipated. Our in room refrigerator was not stocked until 3 days after we arrived. The breakfast buffet was disgusting (cabbage, stale cereal, hot dogs in butter, the list goes on). The only decent item was an omelet, but you had to stand in line for at least 15 minutes and a person can only handle so many in one week! The staff was not all rude, but most were extremely slow and rude. The Pina coladas tasted like nail polish remover. I was charged two different prices for the same chocolate bar in the hotel shop. To order any items with meat or seafood cost an additional $15US. The water was very shallow, only to the waist at the deepest point! We were there for New Year's and when we booked we were told it included a New Year's Gala, but when we arrived we were told it was an additional $20US per person. To sit in the hot tub was an additional $5US per person! The speakers were blown beside the pool and beach and spent more time crackling than playing (they also played many songs with crude language for those considering taking children) No nightly entertainment except men singing at dinner tables and very poorly organized day activities. When we wrote to complain the resort basically called us liars and that we were just "not used to their cuisine". We had both traveled to Europe, Japan, United States and Mexico prior to this so it was definitely not that. This resort does not deserve 3.5 stars, maybe 2.5. We met some other couples on our trip who were also very disappointed in their stay at Calinda Beach and Spa. Please think about investing your money here!!"

Loved it!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I just got back from the Calinda (Feb 16-24) and it was the best time of my life! All these people that are writing bad reviews are nuts! The staff was awsome (Marco, Adoney, Carlos, Freddy, and Cesar). We got VIP for the clubs everynight and we did not have to wait in line. Just go with the entertainment boys and you will have a blast. The food is fine, the rooms are clean and liveable. If your looking for a prestige resort and are willing to pay an extra $1000.00 then go ahead! Loved this resort and cannot wait to go back!!! Miss everyome there already! See you next year!"

• Travel date: 24th February 2003

Calinda was the greatest

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"The Calinda Beach and Spa was by far the best vacation we,ve ever taken. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I studied a little spanish before we left, and you could tell they really appreciated the effort to use their language. It always brought a smile from them. I wouldn't leave until my husband promised we'd come back next year. The food was superb, the people were wonderful and we made alot of new friends. I'm still smiling! Mrs. Karen Sussex"

• Travel date: 23rd February 2003

Clean, No Balcony

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Feb 9 - Feb 17 2003 I have to say we had no problems with anything. We gave small tips when we arrived and the staff were most helpful for the entire trip. The biggest disappointment was there was no balconies and the windows didn't open. There is no cable TV it is all in spanish. Ask for a remote for the TV at the front desk. Rooms were small but always clean. The fridge was restocked every day. We had no problems getting drinks, at either inside or outside bars. The breakfast had much to choose from, lunch was a little smaller and dinner was lets say ok. You certainly shouldn't go hungry. Just because all meals are included doesn't mean you have to eat every meal there, try some local restaurantes. We chose the hotel for the beach. Treat the hotel employees with respect and they will give you the same back. I would stay there again."

• Travel date: 20th February 2003

worst vacation ever

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"worst holiday ever(jan 12-19), staff is brutal, all looking for handouts, but not deserving 1 cent. The food was so disgusting that we had to eat out 3 nights. we were always hassled about the amount of drinks we would order,(never more than 4 at a time)and the only reason we would order 4 was that the service was so bad and slow i didnt want to go back every 5 mins, room had a broken fridge, and cracked window which the wind would howl through we asked to move rooms were told it would cost us(bribe money), so if you like fried cubes of spam every day, hot dog ends, poor service, mexicans hassling you all the time, by all means stay at the calinda beach and slum."

• Travel date: 17th February 2003

had a great time

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I have to agree with the above, we stayed at the Calinda this past January and while the meals were average the rest of the hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the drinks were great. I would have no problem coming back there and am already looking forward to a 2 week next year."

• Travel date: 31st January 2003

Enjoyed the Calinda Beach

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"We stayed at the Calinda Beach & Spa January 2003. We found the Hotel to be very clean and the staff to be very good. We booked over the internet then I found this web sight with all the negative comments, needless to say we began second guessing our choice but decided to go anyway. We were pleasently supprised! If you are looking for a five star resort with everything absolutely first class and are willing to pay the big bucks than this is not your hotel. If you are looking for a reasonably priced all inclusive in a clean hotel with good access to Cancun a nice white sand beach and good staff ( When you treat people the way you would like to be treated you would be supprised what happens) I would recommend the Calinda Beach. P.S. The meals are not fancy but found them to be tasty. The drinks are not watered down and are not limited in quanity.( MJ McCall)"

• Travel date: 22nd January 2003