Moon Palace Cancun

Carretera Cancun-Chetumal Km. 36.5, Cancun 77500 Mexico

wonderful time

Good

"It took some time getting registered. The Moon Palace is so beautiful. The food was great, the drinks were better. You can stay on the beach all day and they bring the drinks right to you, what more could you ask for. We went in Sept 2001. The weather was sunny most of the time, a little rain once in a while. I wasn't too impressed with the iguanas walking around at the beginning, but we make a deal, they stayed away from me and I stayed away from them. :).We meet people from mostly England, a few Americans, we have remained friends to this day. I think my sister had a great time as well. It was the first time I have ever seen anyone dance on a swim up bar. The staff were all very nice. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Bonnie"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of December 2002

great place

"great resort. Clean, well maintained. A little far from central Cancun, but an easy cab ride. Would stay here over and over."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of November 2002

fabulous vacation

"I can't tell you enough how fantastic this place is, we could not fault anything, the staff are so friendly (genuinely) the facilities are second to none, the rooms are fantastic and yes every room has a jacuzzi bath. The food was excellent and nobody got sick, The whole resort is great. Definately go if you have the chance."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of November 2002

one word: unbelievable!!

"The Moon Palace is an amazing place to stay. The rooms are wonderful. I personally loves the jacuzzi looking out the window at the ocean. Just a tip: DON'T dump the whole bottle of bubble bath in! The food was decent. The disco was great. They give you 2 or 3 free tours. I recommend going to the Island of Women. It's a party boat ride. Really good time for everyone. They walk around shooting tequila in everyones mouth. One suggestion, request a room not on the 1st floor. There are crabs that run around if you are close to the beach. They will run into your room if you open the door. We thought it was funny, but then again we were on the 3rd floor. Tips are NOT allowed in this hotel at the bars and such. The bathrooms in the place are amazing!!! I would without a doubt stay here again. Have a great time!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of November 2002

Moon Palace Was Great!!!

"The Moon Palace was great. Went there in Sept, 2002 and can't wait to go back, which I think is a great recommendation. Everything we did there was great, except for a day of rain, but I don't think Moon Palace could help in that regard. Staff, food, rooms and amenities were all superb."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of November 2002

what a place loved it

"I went there with my partner for a treat and what a treat it was we really really had a lovely time, the chocolate cake that they served up is the best ever(i think that is why i put on 1 and a half stones on!!)
Just watch the sun beds in the pool they are deadly if the sun is out and you are drinking lots of cocktails as i was to find out.
I ended up in the doctors (they are very friendly) with a injection in my bum because i got sooo sun brunt( i know suptid girl) Also we did end up meeting two people who were on there honeymoon and have stayed in touch with. The only thing i would say is that there is alittle bit of seaweed with gets washed up but really it doesn't ruin the hoilday. This is the only holiday we have been on where my partner was hapy to sit on the beach all day and not be bored belive me this was a first.
I will go in a moment promise but there is so much to say also if you go down to the beach take some food with you like bread ect and go into the sea a feed the fish they are clear in colour with orange bits on them if you feed them hundreds will appear its a lovely feeling.
I really hope that if you have booked to go here you will have as much fun as we did. The date we went was 11th june 02"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of November 2002

Very Friendly Resort

Good

"Moon Palace consists of two very large resort hotels. Moon Palace (the original) and Moon Palace Sunrise (the newest).

We stayed at Moon Palace Sunrise, this place is hugh, 2,000+ rooms but the service is friendly and personal.

The resturants are very good especially considering the volume of food they have to prepare. The food is fair better than average.

The rooms could use some maintenance. We were surprised that they exhibited wear and tear considering the age of the resort. However, they were exceptionally clean.

There are plenty of activities (every evening in the resort) and you should book your tours through Palace Resorts. The transportation, food, and tour(s) are first class.

Would go again, although pricey, well worth the money."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of November 2002

4 out of 5 stars

Good

"Our family, with 2year old, in tow, went to the Moon Palace on Oct 26-30th 2002. It was our 2nd time there. I highly recommend it for going with young children. The pool is the largest pool in the WORLD!! Even little kids, like mine, can enjoy it because there is a ledge at the edge of the pool where kids can safely play. The beach at the Moon Palace sucks. If you're looking for a beach, don't go here. However, you can go to the other Palace's for the day and come back (free shuttle to other Palace hotels). The service was marvelous. The only reason I can't give a 5 star rating is because of the food. It was average or slightly above average. The only good restaurant was the mexican restaurant, simply because they know how to cook their own native food. The Italian restaurant and the Oriental restaurant are called that because they serve a little pasta and a few rice dishes, respectively. The food was by no means REAL italian food or asian food. Here are some tips for those of you who have not been to Mexico in a while. 1) When you get off the airplane, close your ears and head straight outside. Don't stop for anyone who wants your attention. They'll even tell you that they work for the hotel you're staying at. They'll tell you that they work for the shuttle service.....don't believe it. Just go straight outside and head for the shuttle/taxi ticket booth. $20 for 2 people to the Moon Palace and $18pp to Playa Del Carmen. 2) Don't exchange any money for pesos. All places accept the US dollar and you will lose money on the exchange rate because they take a piece of your money when you initially change it and then when you change it back to the US dollar at the end of your trip. They get a piece of your money twice. 3) There is a $40p/p charge when you arrive at the airport to leave Cancun. This may already be included in your airline ticket price. We had to pay ours at the airline ticket counter. It was a new fee for immigration service and something else. I can't remember. Overall, a good trip. I j
onetheless."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of November 2002

A Wonderful Vacation

"We just returned from Moon Palace. It was a wonderful vacation! This is not their busy season, so it was very nice. I don't know if I would like it that much over busy holidays and such. The pools are phenomenal and it is really great to not worry about paying for anything. The drinks were good too. Making friends with the bartenders is very easy, it only takes a few American dollars. And then they will make your drinks as strong as you like! Everyone is eager to please you and I really felt pampered. The food is not excellent, but still good. It was nice to try many different types of foods that they had in all of the different restaurants. There is even a night club over at the Sunrise part of the resort that was really fun and busy! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of November 2002

Awesome!!

"Went there on our honeymoon in Oct 2001, the place was great. There about a dozen restruants, a good number of bars, pools was large and clean, service was great...I could go on and on. The place costs a little more then some of the other resort, but WELL worth it. We rarely left the hotel grounds. We plan on going back."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of October 2002

Loved it!!!

"Where to begin...the resort is beautiful, our room was spotless and the staff was amazing, Everyone was so helpful and no matter who you spoke to you were always greeted with a smile and a hello. So many different style restaurants to choose from and the fact that it was all inclusive made it 10x better. Had a blast hanging out at the pool and swim up bar, defiantly go to Alberto he knows how to make the best drinks. I GIVE THIS PLACE A 10!! The only complaint we had was the weather...My fiance and I can not wait to go back."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of December 2015

Bait & Switch at the Kaboom! (Moon) Palace

"Summary: This resort would not give us the accommodations listed on their website unless we would sit for their sales presentation for their "Vacation Club" (timeshare).

Our nightmare:

I am writing on my vacation in Mexico. Our experience at the Moon Palace was so bad that I am writing this at the JW Mariott, the hotel we moved to. We had a 7 night reservation at the Moon Palace at what they call the Concierge Level. Our experience was so bad that we left after less than 24 hours (even though we pre-paid $5000). Since our stay was limited, I will let others comment on the food and facility. I will comment on the terrible service and mandatory sales pitch.

We paid extra for the Concierge Level because these extra services appealed to us, especially reserved beach chairs. The thought of not having to compete with other travelers for a spot was worth the extra money alone.

Here is what we paid extra for:

$1500 in resort credits
2 private beach chairs on the beach with waiter service
Aroma therapy
Candle light dinner for two
Massage for two
Exclusive Beach bag
Nightly petit fours
In room coffee maker
Early check in/Late check out

Here is our experience:

We arrived at the Moon Palace at 1pm. At check in we were told our room wasn't ready. We were fine with that as official check in time is not until 3. We were told to come back at 3 which we did. After 15 minutes of waiting in line with a surprising number of frustrated travelers we were told our room is being cleaned and to come back in 15 minutes. OK, we were a tad frustrated because we were suppose to get early check in but, no big deal, we waited 15 minutes and got back in line. It is now 03:30 and the staff disappears for another 15 minutes to "check something". Upon return, she said our room is still is not ready and to come back in 1/2 hour. OK, now we are starting to get frustrated. We were back in line at 4 and our room still was not ready. This time we were told its not ready because we are the ones that chose the concierge floor and that takes longer. Wait. What? I guess "Late Check In and Early Check Out" is what we paid more for? At this point we asked to speak with a Manager and, though we waited and waited he/she never surfaced. Finally, the service person returned and said she would give us a different room. It was now a bit after 5pm. As the bellhop was taking us to our room, a manager stopped him and gave him keys to a different room. I bring this up because later that day when we wanted to return to our room our keys did not work. Back into the dreaded line with all the other frustrated Americans. When we got back to our room no turndown, no Petit Fours as promised.

The next morning we were excited to get to our reserved beach chairs but we couldn't find any information on where this private area was located. Back in line. The customer service person said there is no such area and I must have misunderstood. To get into their exclusive area we need a black wrist band. Fortunately, I had my iPad, went to their site and showed her what is listed and what we purchased. She pointed to an area with long tables of representatives and said we should talk with one of the Vacation Representatives. I walked up to a gentleman who seemed very eager to assist us. He asked our room number and when I told him, he said "I called you this morning and you said you didn't want to meet with me." I explained that the call I received was for the Vacation Club presentation and we are not interested in buying into their resort and do not want to sit through their sales presentation. My significant other than told him we are not interested in a time share. The sales rep responded "no comprende".

We were surprised at his sudden loss of English and I said that we really have had a terrible first experience here and just want to start our vacation and want information on the amenities I have listed above. He replied "I can't help you. Your husband won't even look me in the eyes. I can't do anything for you". I told him that we simply want what we've paid for and asked how we get the massage, candle light dinner, private chairs, etc. He said if we don't sit through with him we don't get our "Welcome Package" that explains how to use the services. Wait. What? We need to sit through their sales pitch to get the upgrades that we purchased in advance? That is bait and switch.

OK. Now we are STEAMING. We went back to our room to strategize. After a few calls we found that there was an Apple rep right in our building! We headed off to see Daniel at the Amstar desk. Daniel was very receptive and the first person to actually apologize and stated he would resolve the issue. He explained that the vacation planners are only there to sell their vacation club but he could help. He asked us to wait as he went to speak with the Manager. He returned, appearing frustrated and explained the Manager is out until 1pm and that he couldn't get anywhere with the front desk. He asked we please give him until 1 pm. I explained VERY CLEARLY that we appreciate his help and will gladly come back at 1, but if he didn't get us the amenities we paid for we would be leaving. He said no problem; he understood.

We returned a bit before 1 and Daniel asked us to come with him. Imagine the shock when he put us in another line with a different vacation club rep, this one named Natalia. We stood in line listening to another traveler ranting to Natalia about her terrible experience. We tired of waiting and went back to our room to pack and find another hotel. On our way our Natalia stopped by our room. Still no Welcome Package. We need to go downstairs and go through their pitch before we can exercise the benefits.

ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS HAND US THE WELCOME PACKET SO WE COULD START OUR VACATION AND WE WOULD HAVE STAYED. We simply wanted to enjoy our vacation without a 6 hour sales pitch, truly what we paid for.

This place has one goal: Sell their time shares (yes, Vacation Club sounds much better). If you are an owner, you receive a different wristband that (I assume) results in a much better experience.

We are experienced global travelers that have never experienced anything close to this horrible experience. I am stunned as all the reviews are so positive; how can that be? There were no less than 20 ticked off people in the lobby at any given time.

If you've read this far you may be wondering why I called it the Kaboom Palace. The room doors are very heavy. Most people have their patio doors open which creates a strong draft. All day, most of the night you hear KABOOM! As room doors slam shut. I would worry about a child losing a limb in the door. Here at the Marriott (and I am sure most other mindful places) the doors have a spring to prevent the slamming. I read of this problem in the reviews but had no idea just how loud and dangerous the doors really are.

Buyer beware.

• Travel date: Wed 18th of March 2015

Hotels near Moon Palace Cancun

Stayed at Moon Palace Cancun? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Moon Palace Cancun

• lottie loo by lottie loo

"night life good if its your first time.if its your third or fourth dont go out "

• lottie loo by lottie loo

"none as the were all cancelled and trying to get our money back was a nightmare "

• Tammyzelten by Tammyzelten

"Only go if you are prepared for a very hard sell on their "Vacation Club" "

Moon Palace Cancun is also called