Melia Turquesa Hotel

Boulevard Kukulkan, km. 12 , 77500 , Cancun , Mexico , North America

Good

So much potential. Read this thorough review before booking Cancun.

Good

"My Wife and I spent 7 nights at the new ME in Cancun February 3-10. My first advice is that we all need to stop booking trips with Expedia. When things go wrong hotels are reluctant to accommodate you with free nights or other common benefits that one would expect to receive when booking directly with the hotel. I love the simplicity of Expedia but you have little leverage when you need it.

The ME Good to know:
The “Level” rooms 10&11th floors are significantly larger and nicer than the deluxe rooms, and come with free continental breakfast, and wireless internet access. The “Level” rooms are actually much larger than the “Loft Suite”, but the “Loft Suite” has the advantage of a large beautiful outdoor patio and Jacuzzi tub, but unfortunately is on the standard deluxe room floors so you have more noise generated by more people and an unacceptably loud ice machine. Also, there is an adjoining room door which you CAN hear you neighbor through.
Get the Ocean Front “Level” if possible, it’s a great experience. We stayed in both an 11th floor “Level” Ocean Front room and “Loft Suite”, and there is no comparison, the “Level” rooms are the way to go, and save you considerably. Our cab fare from the airport to the ME was $40 in the arrivals area outside using a middle man, but from the ME to the airport was only $25 paying directly to the cabbie. Next time I am only paying $25 to get to the hotel from the airport. IGNORE everyone in the airport who tries to take your bags or offer you anything. Always try to negotiate your own cab fares directly with the cab driver. Upon arrival ignore all the people trying to take your bags and sell you the world, and go to the departures area outside where people are being dropped off to find a cab. Otherwise, you will be stuck dealing with a middle man and pay much more.

The ME Bottom Line:
We would stay at the ME again, definitely. The ME is a wonderful hotel that is new and needs a little tweaking, but is probably the nicest hotel in Cancun. The location is fantastic, the hotels close proximity to La Isla Mall and nearby restaurants gets you out walking every evening which really breaks up the normal monotony of being stuck at your resort. I don’t know what people do who are staying at the Ritz Carlton or JW Marriot, they must pay a ton for hotel food and get resort fever, or spend a fortune on cab fare since they are far away from any action. The ME is NOT in the party zone like the Fiesta Americana. If clubbing is your thing, stay down there. The ME has a predominately upscale 30+ year old guest who are more interested in enjoying their spouse or significant other than being constantly inebriated. The ME is very cosmopolitan with guests from all over the world. I am looking forward to my next stay at the ME, and hope they fix the few problems and allow me to write an all excellent review next time.

The ME Goods:
Beautiful property, Clean, Luxurious, Very Stylish throughout the hotel, Great room designs, Great Showers, Lots of staff who are very willing to help, Free use of 10 computers with internet access in stylish computer bar, almost no children, gorgeous pools, and fabulous beach, Hotel Lifeguard on duty for beach, Great lounging options for the beach and pool, Beach and Room towels are huge, Beds are very comfy, not hard, food is good, food and drink prices are reasonable-you don’t feel totally ripped off like some hotels, SUPER Great location and access to La Isla Mall which is basically across the street, and Kukulkan Mall is only a 10 minute walk. Both these malls are great, offering all levels of shopping up to designer and Rolex. We went to La Isla Mall, definitely the nicer and more interesting of the two daily and enjoyed dinner at La Casa De Las Margaritas twice. I highly recommend this restaurant for authentic Mexican food in a beautiful environment with classy traditional live Mexican entertainment starting at 7pm. If you miss home your options for American dining are endless with a Johnny Rockets, Chili’s, and Planet Hollywood at La Isla Mall and a Ruth’s Crhis at Kukulcan Mall. Also, a ten minute walk from the ME in the opposite direction of the Malls will land you at: Outback Steakhouse, Pat O’Briens, Bubba Gump’s, and Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. The good thing about eating at these restaurants/bars is that every time you leave they give you coupons for free drinks at the other 3, it becomes overwhelming, but a good deal if you like to drink.
The Best part of Cancun is that every local we came into contact with regardless of the business were genuinely happy and willing to please you, and were very concerned in making sure that you were completely satisfied with your service. We travel all over the word and I have never had such great service from a destination as we had in Cancun, at the ME, all the restaurants, the shops, Aquaworld for diving, even when my hat got blown off my head and flew into the busy street, a police car saw what happened, put on his lights and stopped traffic so I could safely recover my hat which would have been a goner.

The ME Bads:
Front desk staff are the least friendly and least willing to help, the bell men are the best and do much more than they should. The hot water can take 10 minutes to get hot. The wireless internet works about half the time. The in room wired internet does not work at all. There is no “Level” Concierge, or “experience management service”. The ME has a saying that “everything is possible”, and they dare you to challenge them by dialing “0” if you need anything. Well, you would be amazed at what simple things are far too challenging for them and beyond possible. Like: Is the hotel water safe to drink? Why is the internet not working? Can I get a firm or foam pillow? Can I get 4 towels instead of 3 daily? Can I not be transferred at least twice every time I dial “0”? Basically dialing “0” is useless, as not much is possible by dialing “0”. The pools are too cold. There is no hot tub. Some of the shower doors leak considerably onto the floor. The Ice machines are unacceptably loud on deluxe room floors. The teppanyaki restaurant is open, but the frying entertainment tables are not being used. The is absolute confusion about what is the continental breakfast vs. the buffet breakfast.

The Diving:
I am a Scuba Instructor who has dove in many parts for the world, and can say that Cancun local diving is average Caribbean. A little better than BVI, better than the Caribbean side of the Bahamas, but certainly no where near the quality of Roatan. My Wife and I did one 2-tank local reef dive to a depth of 50ft. We did see some better than average life on these dives, 6 Nurse Sharks, 1 Blacktip Reef Shark, and 3 Sea Turtles. There is a strong current so it’s mostly drift diving. If you like wall diving, and greater depths then go to Cozumel. You may also want to consider the Cenote diving if you have at least 50+ dives, some “wreck” experience, and can deal with the fact that you are basically cave diving since we could not see the entrance at all times. There is no redundancy in your recreational dive equipments so if something goes wrong and you panic, that’s it, you WILL not make it out unless your guide, who is using “tek” gear can acknowledge your problem quickly enough to assist you before you pass that point of no return panic and need to surface, which is impossible. The Cenote diving is done in a line order with about 3-10 feet between divers, with about 5 divers following the guide. So, if you are not one of the first couple divers behind the guide it is likely that the diver ahead or behind are your best choices should you need help. Unfortunately they are probably not a professional guide, Divemaster, or Instructor, so panicking combined with a considerable distance of “overhead environment” could be disastrous. Just be careful and know your level of diving before doing this type of diving."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of February 2007

LOVED THIS HOTEL!!

"we booked our package thru Air Transat and got the All Inclusive option. The hotel is in a great location- walking distance to the mall, restaraunts and clubs (Pat Obrians, Margaritaville).

this hotel is very modern and geared to the upscale clientele. The rooms are absolutly wonderful- rain shower, flat screen, beautiful decor. The hotel itself is so modern and sleek- loved the pool area, bali beds, and the restaruants. The food was soooo good!! And very healthy!!! I am a vegan (but eat fish) and had absolutely no problem finding stuff to eat. The staff was so helpful and friendly. All the waiters and concierge has made our trip so great!!

The beach is by far the greatest on the hotel strip!!

I am a personal trainer and the gym was absolutely terrific- brand new Life Fitness equipment and fully air conditioned.

We did have to sign our bill each time we ordered a drink or food...it would have been very expensive if we did not do the all inclusive...we wouldnt of stayed here if that were the case. They are stopping the all inclusive option, so thats too bad.

When we went the beach restaurant wasn't open yet and also Maxim Night club wasn't open...would be very good if it was though!!!

All in all the hotel is so great and if you have the money I would definatly recomend the ME Cancun!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of February 2007

Only If The Price Is Right!

"We got a good rate on Travel Zoo so we decided to stay even though the reviews were mixed. This was our third trip to Cancun and first let me say next year may be better because the devastation from the hurrican is still evident. I walked the beach and could not believe the condition of major hotels, so much construction even on the streets, makes it difficult to walk. Now for the 'ME". It is definitly about them not you. Service is horible. Lot's of staff walking around saying hello but when you need something they are no where to be found. On our last night we decided to have a drink at the bar and eat in the hotel. It was early the bar was empty and there were 4 servers behind the bar. Not one came over to take an order. They looked at us several times...nothing. I said to my hubby maybe we are suppose to go to the bar and get it ourselves.."if that's the case don't you think they should say something at least acknowledge us," he said. We waited several more minutes and then walked out...even as they saw us leave no one said a word. Lunch at the outdoor restaurant...a joke. Poor service, limited menu and no fish tacos, after the 2nd day of asking for them the waiter finally said they don't have them and will no longer be serving fish taco's...well why are they on the menu and that should be the first thing you let people know till you get new menus. Stuff like that I could go on and on with. As far as the grounds...lovely. Nice layout and nice beach. Comfy chairs and places to seek shade and drink service was good. After 2:00p.m. you have to start looking for sun by the pool and after 3:15p.m. the beach is your only option. The renovations were nicely done if you like that really contemporary look, even though on a rainy day we had a pool of water on the floor from leaky windows. Amenities were fine no coffee in room, however. Never ate breakfast or had coffee in the hotel because they left you no choice but to have buffet which I don't eat that kind of breakfast. You can't just get coffee and ceral without paying $20.00...not good buisness on their part. The location is great you can walk to many good restaurants. All in all for what we payed it was fine but by no means a 5 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

Absolutely Wonderful!!!!!!!

"My husband and I just returned from Me Melia in Cancun. We are in our mid 30's and were looking for an higher end hotel. We decided on Me Melia based on what we read in Trip Advisor. Everything was WONDERFUL from the time we got there until we left. The service was excellent. Some people stated the service was bad, which is hard for me to believe. The staff was ready to help us with anything we needed. The lobby, pool and rooms were beautiful. Great beach area! The location was fantastic. You are in walking distance of La Isla Mall and very close to all the bars, clubs and restaurants. If I had to say something negative , it would be the food/drinks were pricey. We were not all inclusive but did talk to a few couples who were and they seemed satisfied. You should definitely stay here. A great place for couples ! We loved it and I am sure you will too!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

Beautiful hotel, great location

Good

"Stayed at the ME Jan 25-30. Hotel is very nicely decorated and furnished. Comfortable rooms, great shower. Found the staff to be very friendly, almost bending over backwards to help any way they could. We had an ocean front room on the 4th floor. Pool and beach are great, huge beds on the beach to lie on, drink service was good (drinks are on the pricey side). We ate outside the hotel, usually downtown, ride the bus, its cheap fast and fun. Ask some of the staff for directions to La Parrillo, great fun restuarant just a few blocks off the main avenue downtown. This really is an upscale hotel, not the kind of place I am used to staying at but definitely fun for a change. The hotel bar was rocking on Fri and Sat nights, kind of quiet the rest of the time. Easy walk to a nice shopping plaza to the south and some american restaurants to the north."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007

Very Posh Hotel but Watch for Sales Pitches to Time Share

Good

"The hotel was very elegant and clean. The rooms were nicely decorated. The food was more of the gourmet type, not for picky eaters or children. The breakfast buffet was great. The a la carte lunch and dinners were good but the selection was somewhat limited. The location was great, almost in the centre of the strip but a bit closer to the bars and restaurants. Very handy to the bus route. The hotel was not even half booked when I stayed so the restaurants were not too busy so I got lots of attention at dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the tour guides were great. The gym facilities were the best I've ever seen in a hotel. I only have 2 complaints. The walls are paper thin (may be due to the fact that there is quite the gap between the bottom of the door and the hall floor) so you can clearly hear everything in the hall when you're trying to sleep. I got woken up at late hours from people in the hallway and my room was almost at the end of the hall. Thank goodness I was no where near the elevator. The other complaint is that there are staff that are constantly pushing you to join the Melia club. I do not like to be constantly solicited while on vacation. I went there to get away from those types of things."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Beautiful and relaxing!

Good

"We stayed at the ME from Jan 17-24 and had a wonderful time. The hotel was only at 16% capacity when we checked in. The lobby area is just so gorgeous. This is exactly the type of place that we love to stay at. Very modern. The room was large, clean and beautiful, gorgeous bathrooms. The showers did take a while to warm up. We could hear some noise from the hallways but it didn't really bother us as we were up very early each morning anyways to get down to the beach. We had no problems with the air conditioning. They do only go to 70 but I found it downright chilly at that temp. and found myself turning it up everynight.

The hotel grounds are just stunning, the best we saw after walking up and down the beach. The bali beds, the pools, all in pristine condition. So clean and inviting. The poolside hammocks were so lovely to sit in together in the evenings. It was just such a romantic peaceful getaway. We loved every minute of it and I miss it terribly now that I'm back home. We found the beach wait staff to be wonderful. They seemed to be adding more staff by the day and there was always somebody coming by to ask if we needed anything. The food from the beach grill was so delicious.

We at at both salt & silk restaurant once as we also had a $100 food credit from the hotel (which they did deduct at the end of our stay with no hassle) We found the restaurants to be 'ok' They were practically empty and at both restaurants our food arrived a little on the coolish side. We complained about a dirty glass and had apologies coming from everyone for the rest of the evening and received our dessert free of charge.

We had a much better time eating at local restaurants around the area though.

There is construction on both sides of the property but I would say it was just a minor annoyance.

This definitely is not a party resort and that is exactly the reason why we loved it so much. It was so romantic, beautiful, and a completely relaxing vacation! We can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Great Vacation

Good

"What a great vacation! The hotel was amazing, beautiful and more. I went with some girlfriends on a "girls only getaway", and we can't really say enough. We had one bad experience with service the whole time and we believe it was due to being under staffed.
As for Canadians and having the all-inclusive plan, it was a benefit. But understandable for Americans, you might find it pricey. However we did notice that as Al travellers there were differences and inconsistency's. But really not a big deal when we paid a lot less then the others.
A must is to try the "spring rolls" at the "Silk" restaurant. Delicious, we couldn't get enough. And the "flank steak" at the "Salt" was also impressive.
My advise for future travellers is to have a great time. And remember, you make your vacations what they are. Have fun and enjoy."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of January 2007

Me was all about US (my husband and I) Incredible!!

"My husband and I just got back from the ME this week. We throughly enjoyed everything about it! I was deciding between several hotels and I decided to book the ME because I was there 16 years ago when it was the Melia Turquesa and I wanted to see the change. Indeed it was a modern elegant change to say the least. It is defintiely the "HOLLYWOOD HOTEL" in Cancun. The place to be. The food presentation and taste was incredible. The spa treatments along with the spa facilities were great. I really liked the personal service that we received in the spa. We had our own personal assistant that would occassionally check in on us to see if we needed anything. I really enjoyed the spa pool which not only is inside the building but continues outside so you can relax and enjoy the ocean. The resort is large enough that there is plently of space so you do not feel crammed into one area. They have hammocks and cabanas which have mattress to relax on while taking in the rays.
The drinks were great! For those who like using the internet there is an INTERNET BAR!!! Everything about the place is contemporary, artistic and glamour. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of many shops and popular restaurants!

The BEST part of our vacation is we made many many friends whom are part of the hotel vacation club staff!!!!! They were always (on a daily basis) greeting us with a "HELLO" and a smile! Not to metion they were always interested in how our hotel stay was. Always wondering if we had any needs that they could fullfill.... We give a great big "OLE" for a job well done to David, Shantal, Fernando, Alex, Alejandra, Sandra B.,Efrain, Oscar, as well as all those employees in white. We thank you for
making our vacation a memorable one!

We will keep in touch.. See you soon!

Chris and Rick"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of January 2007

Beautiful!!!!

Good

"My husband and I just returned from six days in Cancun at the ME Cancun. It is a beautiful property! Very contemporary, great decor, great music, great atmosphere. The Grill restaurant on the Beach has a great lunch menu (also very reasonably priced). The pools and beach are breathtaking! There were two pool bars open, they are still working on the main one---it looks like it will be great when it's finished! The property wasn't terribly crowded while we were there, so there wasn't any hassle with having to get up early to reserve a spot for the day---we had our pick of spots on the beach or at the pool. Plenty of chairs and beds, plenty of shady spots. The rooms were beautiful, I know this is a silly thing to go on and on about, but I am a frequent business traveler and I always think you can tell a lot about the hotel by their in room bathrooms---and these were awesome! It made me want to start planning for a remodel of my own! I loved the rainfall showers and they had awesome towels, great lighting and good mirrors.
I know a few people have made comments about the service, but we found everyone to be very friendly, helpful and accommodating.
I do have two things that I felt could have been improved. The exterior windows in our room were super dirty---I'm sure it's just a product of the remodeling, and that it will be remedied, and the second thing is the soundproofing. Since the halls are all marble tile, they echo something fierce and can be a little noisy when people come in after the clubs close."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of January 2007

Hotels near Melia Turquesa Hotel

Stayed at Melia Turquesa Hotel? Share your insight.

Melia Turquesa Hotel is also called