Other

• babysitting
  • diving

Great place to stay

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I just got back from a wonderful trip to cancun over Valentine's weekend and thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Casamagna. THe hotel is very clean and the staff very accomodating. The inside and outiside of this hotel is kept up impeccably. I even went next door to the JW marriott to check out their restaurants and found that the Casamagna was more aesethically appealing. The Jw looked clean and new but too average where as the Casamagna's building structure looked more like a Spanish palace. The snack shop at the Casamagna is a bit pricey but that's Cancun for you. ex: the cost of one bottle of aloe vera gel was $13.00 us, regular coffee $2.00) I would definetly visit Casamagna again."

• Travel date: 18th February 2004

Love the place

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We just came back from the 5 nights stay of Casa Magna. 2/10-2/15. The hotel is beautiful, service was great too. We booked the garden view, with little discussion with front desk, they gave us a fifth floor, although still considered as garden view, but when you get out to the balcony, you have partial ocean and partial lagoon view, beautiful. During the stay, there were two light bulb out, and they replaced in 5 minutes both time. There was one time the tub would not drain, they came and fixed in 5 minutes. Room is in small side, but it is a hotel not a condo. the pool is a little bit small compare to the neighbors, but you can use the JW marriott's pool without any problem (30 yards walk). Overall Cancun is a beautiful place, a lot of tourist trap though. Public bus is great & cheap. Chichen Itza and Isla Majera (women island) are must go, jungle tour was a blast too. food is generally expensive but normally comes with some kind of show so make the price worth."

• Travel date: 18th February 2004

Cas Magna is beautiful!

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"January 2004 Marriot Casa Magna is a beautiful hotel, the view is AWESOME and the service was great,everyone was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were super clean. The price of food was a bit expensive, but Cancun has suddenly become quite the tourist trap. The prices were expensive just about everywhere but it is a paridise. I would definetly stay at Casa Magna again."

• Travel date: 14th February 2004

The best vacation ever!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marriott. We arrived early, and without any problems, we checked right in. We had a 4th floor room ocean view, and could not have hand picked a better spot. We received nothing but the best in service, it seemed that everyone there went out of their way to make us happy. One thing they do not tell you is that you can add an all inclusive to your room, for us it was $110 per day. We did consistently hear from the staff that this is a good time to go, soon the busy season starts. This is definately geared towards the conservative vacationer, many older couples, and some families with young children, it was a low key hotel. There were several older couples who drank the water and did not have any problems, but we drank bottled. The cleanest hotel ever, I would definately stay there again."

• Travel date: 3rd February 2004

Gorgeous, refined and relaxed

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"Fantastic! Gorgeous hotel, exceptional service, and the beach isn't bad, either. Though the JW Marriott next door has a better pool area, I found the smaller CasaMagna to be more aesthetically pleasing and the guests more vacation-oriented. Beautiful lobby, great rooms, and exceptional views of the gorgeous Cancun waters. The pianist in the lobby bar is incredibly talented and the atmosphere is refined and relaxed. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is pricey, but fabulous. The CasaMagna is on the quiet end of the Hotel Zone, but the parties and crowds are but a five minute, 6 peso bus ride away. Stay here if you want a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the ocean."

• Travel date: 31st January 2004

Nice, but a few problems

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"I decided on the CasaMagna after reading all of the reviews here. Got a deal from Costco Travel. The hotel is very pretty, beach is gorgeous---silky white sand, aqua blue sea. I paid for an oceanview room ,and they tried to put us in a partial oceanview, but I had them change our room. The biggest mistake was settling for the room that overlooked the pool. It was very noisy at night, there were a bunch of conventioneers out late at the pool every night, drunk and loud. It was very difficult to sleep. If you like quiet, make sure you book a room far away from the pool area. Ok, the food is good. I really like the Mikado, it was delicious. The best part for me is hanging out by the pool, drinking tropical cocktails, reading and just enjoying the sun. I ordered lunch by the pool, the chicken breast sandwich was quite tasty. Breakfast buffet is ok, long lines for omelettes and eggs. We did like the room service, food was good and not that pricey. My biggest complaint involves my bill. CHECK YOUR BILL CAREFULLY. There were several charges that were incorrect, and the girl at the front desk was rude to me when I told her these were not my charges. She had to investigate each charge, it took forever, and of course they were all mistakes. So review your bill or you will be paying for someone else's food, drinks, and laundry. Kids programs were not really in place, there is just a playroom with some toys in it. La Dolce Vita, the restaurant across the street is just ok, and kind of expensive, I thought. If you are a tv watcher, there really are not very many stations to choose from, cbs, nbc, CNN and some Spanish language channels. The best part was the property and most of the staff were really super nice and helpful. Day trip to Cozumel definately not worth it. Cancun is a great place just to enjoy the beaches, sunshine and tropical drinks. I would go back, but would probably check out the nearby Riviera Maya next time."

• Travel date: 24th January 2004

One of the Best In Cancun

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"I just returned from a 7night stay at the Casa Magna in Cancun on January 19, 2004. While planning the trip, I search far and wide for the best deal and for the best hotel. I ultimately found the best deal through Marriott website. I searched expedia, liberty travel etc....but marriott website was the best packaged price for air and hotel. The other hotels I was considering were the JW Marriott, Le Meridien and Hilton. I have been to cancun twice before and having seen most of the hotels and their locations I narrowed it down to these hotels because of their reputation, location on the strip and number of stars. The Casa Magna was great. It is ideally located, has a great beach, nice rooms for cancun, purified water, nice grounds and nice lobby. I visited the adjacent JW Marriott and was impressed even more by what they have. They are just 3 years old but staying there costs considerably more! However their grounds/lobby and rooms are superior. I walked over to the Le Meridien and was very unimpressed. The hotel is small, the grounds are plain and the lobby is tiny. I didn't stay at the hilton because it is very isolated from other hotels and i believe in cancun you should be centrally located on the strip. As for cost......food in cancun is ridiculously high. Mexico is taking advantage of tourists with outrageous prices. A soda can is $2.8, buffet brkfast $19 and these are just two examples. You'll know what I mean when you go. I did all inclusive in the past and they are fun also but the all inclusive hotels are not as flashy and nice. The Marriott gives you the option of all inclusive when you get there and costs $110 per person per day. I think that is real high so we didn't do that. Besides how much can you eat? Overall the staff is very very nice, the lobby is great, there is a nice gym, nice pool and nice beach. Being at a marriott is even more reason to stay there. You are given marriott quality food and service. But if you are willing to pay more....I would highly recommend the JW Marriott which is next door because it is a higher caliber hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2004

Back for a second time!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I am writing this review because I have found tripadvisor to be so helpful in planning my vacations. I urge you to also write one after your trip. My wife and teenage kids wanted to go to Cancun 2 years ago and I reluctantly said yes. They were right and I was very pleasantly surprised. We just returned from a second trip to Cancun. We stayed at the Casa Magna both times and it was wonderful. It is a beautiful hotel with old world charm. Our first trip was in February (President's week) and this time we went down Christmas week. The weather was a little warmer in February, but we still had great weather in December (low 80's everyday). We found the beaches more crowded in December but manageable. The water is too rough sometimes to go swimming so we used the pool. (The only drawback to December was the high prices restaurants charged New Years Eve.) I contacted the EXTREMELY helful concierges prior to our trip to make restaurant reservations for most evenings. Definitely make dinner reservations (near the hotel because you are tired) for the day of your arrival in advance. The pool and beach are very nice. The only drawback is that the lounge chairs are not wonderful. The JW Marriott next door have better cushioned chairs. All of the hotel staff are courteous and extremely helpful. TIPS WHEN ARRIVING - You do not need a car in Cancun, but find out how much the taxi is before you get in. The Marriott may even pick you up if you make arrangements in advance. PICK UP TOURIST GUIDE WHEN LEAVING THE AIRPORT AND CHECK OUT THE RESTAURANT AND EXCURSION DISCOUNT COUPONS! Exchange money in the hotel and not at the airport. DINING - The restaurants are casual and very good. Food is not cheap - you will pay big city prices - especially in the hotel zone. Don't worry about eating anything or drinking the water. Gustino (Italian, in JW Marriott) is a good first night choice since it is convenient. Lorenzillo's is good for lobster, Mikado (in Marriott) is good for Japanese, Maria Bonita is excellent for Mexican, La Habichuela (Mexican) is romantic and excellent (ask for the garden room), Perico's (Mexican) is crazy and fun for all ages, Senor Frogs is loved by teenagers but is extremely noisy and we ate in the chain Rolandi's Pizzeria in Isla Mujeres which had great pizza. ACTIVITIES - Chichen Itza is a must! Trip to Isla Mujeres (from Puerto Juarez) is a nice day trip and your children can buy all of their gift items here. Swim with the dolphins in Isla Mujeres. Bring a video camera. Jungle tour was fun. XCaret was beautiful but not necessary especially on your first trip. Overall, a wonderful family vacation!"

• Travel date: 10th January 2004

Loved It

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We just returned 12/15 from a week in Cancun, four days spent at the CasaMagna. We loved it and will definitely go back. We had a room with a beautiful view of the pools and ocean. The hotel is classy and clean - the people were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good - the Japanese restaurant in front of the hotel was excellent. The beach is gorgeous. Everything about this hotel suited us perfectly."

• Travel date: 17th December 2003

Great But Noisy

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"This hotel is great value for money. My room had a super view of the ocean, the beach was stunning, and the food was great. However, the room was looking a tiny bit jaded ... just here and there, enough to be noticeable ... just no longer "top notch". Moreover, as a rather staid 45 year old, I found the hotel very noisy. From about 11am there's overpowering live music at the pool - absolutely ghastly - while in the evening an appallingly out-of-tune ballad singer laments loudly in the hotel lobby until 2245. My room overlooked the lobby too, and the singer was clearly audible. Okay if you're on holiday, as you'll be out and about having fun, but we were on a business trip, involving early starts. Yuk. It isn't the sort of place I'd want to go back to. Also, in September it was far too hot and muggy to sit out in the sun until about 4pm. So check those temperature charts before booking."

• Travel date: 8th October 2003