Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Avda Xaman-Ha, Lote Hotelero Fraccionamiento Playacar Nro 2, Playa del Carmen 77710 Mexico

Good
1943

3 Time Iberostar Resort Traveler

"I've traveled to 3 of the Iberostar Resorts and love them all with very little complaints. I've been to Parisio Beach and Tucan/Quetzel in Mexico and just got back from Domincan Republic Hacienda Dominicus (Jan10-17,03) If they dropped you off in the middle of any of these resorts you wouldn't notice a great difference. But they all have little great quirks. Tucan has wild monkeys on their grounds, great to view while walking to breakfast in the morning. Parisio Beach pool is endless and breathtaking. The Hacienda in the Domincan has incredible grounds, the architecture is very impressive through out. But I must say, We enjoyed Mexico the best. No blender drinks in Domincan on the beach or the pool bar. If you have kids, this resort chain is a must!! The 2 times we did go with the kids the clicked so well we never saw them all day. We would have to pull them out at the end of the day. Xel-ha is an incredible experience. There is a long river that you take tubes on through the mango jungles INCREDIBLE! These resorts are a must try. Being an American and not being able to fly to Cuba, I'd be curious how well you are treated there."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of January 2003

food and service can't be beat !!

Good

"My decision to stay at the Tucan Jan. 11-18,2003 was based on the very favourable reviews I read on this website. This was my first all inclusive vacation and my wife and I had a delightful stay.
Aside from a few minor complaints, i.e. lack of HOT water certain times, lousy TV selection, beds not too comfortable, I would highly recommend this resort.
The workers were fabulous !! Always in good humour and always very attentive. Although tips are not mandatory, you will want to tip as an acknowledgement of superb service.

The food was all very fresh and there was tons of variety. I ate just about everything on offer and was never sick once. The water in the restaurants and bars IS filtered and the salads and fruits can be eaten without hesitation.
At the steakhouse restaurant, the various seafood salads were so good we almost had no room left for the steak. At the main buffet there was something for everyone. For those who like fish, there was fresh baked or grilled fish every night.
For those with a sweet tooth, the desserts will not disappoint.

For a view of the grounds go to ..., click on carribean, click on iberostar tucan and then take the virtual tour.
The pool and beach/ ocean are beautiful and the activities co-ordinators very friendly.

Do not hesitate. Book this hotel !

P.S. SAMPLING FOOD WHILE WALKING AROUND THE BUFFET SHOWS POOR BREEDING. TAKE A SEAT AND EAT !"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of January 2003

Superb resort with rock hard beds

Good

"Spent a week at Iberostar 12/10-12/17/2002. The resort would've been perfect except for the beds which were cheap mattresses on concrete platforms. If you like HARD beds, this is the place for you. They brought me a mattress pad, but by day 7, I was only dreaming of my pillow top mattress at home and a good nights sleep that didn't kill my back. The rooms were great, the food was way above avg (don't expect a Chicago or NY quality steak, ship the steakhouse and have the rib eye with mango sauce at the tropical restaurant ). The beach and pool were fantastic
although a heated pool would've been appreciated as hardly anyone swam because of the temp. Beautiful hot tub in middle of pool was same temp as pool but great hot tub in spa made up for that. It's 300 yards or so from lobby to beach so a long walk for anyone old or not in shape. No room service (supposed to be adding that) or coffee maker was another minus. Staff were extra friendly and on the ball. Internet access near lobby was a help keeping in touch. $6.00 charge to access an 800 # was usurious. Buy the calling cards and use the pay phones. Next time, I will find a place with less walking and real beds. It was worse than camping."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of January 2003

Incrediable

"My wife and I stayed at the iberostar tucan in Oct 2001 for 8 days. We absolutely loved the hotel and all that went with it. We left Chicago at 8am and were on the beach at the Iberostar by 2pm...the water is even more blue than I had imagined...the white sand, the water,the palm trees, the warm caribean air...it was all breathtaking...service at all levels was perfect...friendly staff,even the grounds workers had smiles on their faces. It was very hot and humid so when you wanted to get away and cool off the room it was nice and cool....beds and room were made daily, I loved the marble in the rooms, especially the bathroom and shower. the mini bar was stocked daily. The buffet food was always pretty good...although some american things we take for granted like coffee,eggs,milk,juice..diet coke, all taste a little different for some reason...not bad,just not like it is here. Be careful when shopping in town...you get hounded by merchants....they are like sharks feeding...just walk fast and DO not stop and listen to their speeches. I looked all over at many hotels in Mexico and this one seemed to back up all that it claimed in the brocures....I'd certainly go back and we're planning too sometime soon...I know there are other nice places in Playa del carmen,but I dont' think i wanna risk going anywhere else...oh and be careful..do not drink the water...I spent my mornings in the bathroom...lets just say...montasumas revenge is true..ha ha. I dont think there's any way to avoid that...eating salad washed in water...even brushing your teeth with tap water might have done it....Mexico just has different parasites than the united states and I have heard stories about getting sick...just be careful what you eat and drink..I got a travel book called Frommers guide to Mexico and it gave me tons of helpful hints...good luck"

• Travel date: Tue 7th of January 2003

Great

Good

"It was great. If you like ot be relaxed then this is the place. ALthough the wait at the airport in cancun is long it is worth it."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of December 2002

Heaven!

"Anyone out there thinking about going to Cancun?

Why not try Playacar! The Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal Hotel in Playacar is heaven on earth. My husband and I went there in August 2001 on our honeymoon and had the most amazing time.

The staff at the hotel are fabulous and nothing is too much trouble for anyone from the waiters to the chamber maids. Infact it is so good that we are returning in August 2003 to meet up with a couple we met from Nottingham (Hi Johnathan and Helen!). If that is not a good enough recommendation for you I don't know what is.

They make the best Margheritas I have ever tried and remember to try a Miami Vice (cross between a Strawberry Daiquiri and a Coco Loco!)

We can't wait to go back and after reading the comments on this website are sure it will be every bit as good as it was the last! Roll on August 2003!"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of December 2002

Great, BUT NOT 5 Star

Good

"My boyfriend and I just returned from a week at the Iberostar Tucan and had a wonderful wonderful time. The hotel lobby and environs are just beautiful and we only had a few minor complaints and suggestions, since when you are on vacation, you hope not to experience even minor inconveniences........

If you need an iron, bring your own travel iron. Unlike most hotels, they do not have ironing boards and I am still waiting for them to bring the iron to my room that I requested -- they only have one or two old ones that they circulate. But hey, who wants to iron on vacation anyhow?

While the rooms are very clean and tiled in marble, there was a real problem with lighting. If you care about seeing your face in the bathroom for make-up or shaving, bring your own make-up mirror and go out on the terrace. The glare/shadows in the bathroom make it difficult to see, especially at night. Also, the sharp corner of the towel rack extends into the area in front of the sink -- I had huge bruises on my legs from bumping into it. So, no attention to lighting or ergonomics. The rooms are quite comfortable, but there are no bureau drawers, just shelves and no full length mirror.

If you care about playing tennis, bring your own racquets. Theirs are old and just not usable. The bicycles looked like they also could stand to be replaced.

If you try to take a shower during peak hours, there is not enough hot water.

The staff. There never seems to be a real manager on duty and the front desk staff, while friendly, never seem to know the answers to your questions or give out incorrect info. My boyfriend made special arrangements to have a freezer pack frozen so he could keep a prescription cold on the return flight and they managed to lose it. The maid, while she kept the room clean and the minibar stocked, also managed to throw out one each of two different pairs of earrings (I'm the only one who went to Mexico and came back with less jewelry!)

No voicemail/message lights on the phones. No clocks or radios. No movies. Just CNN.

Quality of the evening shows is pretty bad. Disco opens at 11:00. We didn't go -- but were told the music was techno.

On the PLUS side.

The food at the buffet is varied and delicious and we had no problem eating there every meal -- in fact we each gained 5 lbs. Some of the best desserts ever! There is plenty of staff in the dining room and they are helpful and sweet. We tried 2 ala carte restaurants and the food was not as good as the buffet and the service was not good either.

The beach and pool are both gorgeous!

Going to town to shop is fun. An equally good, small shopping center is right down the road from the hotel. In town, the vendors can wear you down with bargaining -- if you think that getting an item at half the price marked is a good deal, you are wrong. I bought a sink that was marked at one store at 3000 pesos, about 300 dollars, at another store for 53 dollars. There are a couple of flat price stores on 5th Avenue and you actually come away with better prices for ceramics, etc. when you don't have to negotiate. My boyfriend ended up getting a blanket that was marked at 1500 pesos/150 dollars for $34. After a time, the bargaining is just too much work and gets annoying.
Don't eat at Captain Bobs!

Despite what you read about car rentals in Mexico, you can get a car at a reasonable price with full insurance coverage at Avis in the small shopping center in Playacar (a short walk from the hotel). Total cost of about $65/day. We drove to the ruins at Coba and hired a guide there for about $40 and stopped in small villages on the way back -- a good alternative to the canned excursions.

Final warning. You may be approached at the airport and offered free excursions in exchange for going for an hour to see a different "hotel" than the one in which you are staying -- be forewarned that once you get there they try to pitch a timeshare and the fine print says they have 90 minutes of your time. If you are willing to sit through the pitch of 1-1/2 hours, you do get a free excursion which is worth about $75 per person. Unfortunately, my boyfriend also bought a timeshare and after had anxiety about it and cancelled. Who needs anxiety on vacation?

All in all, we would return to Playa del Carmen and to the Iberostar!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of December 2002

Just gorgeous..NO complaints!

"The Iberostar was awesome! Rooms beautiful, lovely balconies with peacocks greeting us in the morning! Having the resort in part of an actual jungle was also amazing! I am an animal lover!

Food..to DIE for! My friend and I were ecstatic over lobster night..Tons of variety at the buffets.

Service..about the BEST in all of Mexico. We are regular travelers to Cancun and Puerto Vallarta mostly.

They don't chince with the drinks either..No matter how busy it gets! The bartenders are always on top of the orders!

The main pool was just beautiful! Clean..huge, artistically designed. Beach access and ocean VERY nice..

VERY good deal for the price!!! Highly recommend!

Sue and John"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of November 2002

Amazing!!!!

"My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Iberostar Tucan hotel and it was a dream come true. Our experience was just wonderful. The room was great, the property is amazing, and the staff were all so helpful and friendly. Not to mention the pool and the beach were like a fairy tale. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was a wondeful way to start a beautiful life together."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of November 2002

4 thums up!!!!

"This is the best resort we have ever stayed at! Everything you are reading is true. It doesn't matter which side you stay on (Quetzal/Tucan) just be sure to experience the entire resort.

This is the only resort we ever retrned to and we have now been there 4 times. The first year we were there, we didn't even realize that the steam room and hot tubs in the spa are part of your package (no extra charge). Highly recommend the bicycle trip. We usually do it twice a week. We have turned many people onto this resort and everyone has loved it as much as us.

We especially salute Clemente our favourite bar tender. He is always cheerful and the service is excellent.

I could go on forever....great place!

NOTE - not all Iberostar Resorts are the same! Once we booked a spilt holiday 4 days in Playa Del Carmen and a week in Cozumel Iberostar. We arrived at Cozumel checked in, spent forever finding our own way around this maze, checked out the facilities and CHECKED OUT and went back to Playa Del Carmen. We had to fight with management, spend a fortune on long distance to our travel agent back home (thank God he was there for us) and pay a huge fee to get back.

Cozumel Iberostar is small, quiet, damp, cramped rooms, confusing layout and there's not much to do. Also $15 US one way to town for 2 people."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of November 2002

Amazing family hotel

"The most amazing family friendly value for money hotel outstanding food .we will return next year kids loved the kids club nothing was too much for the staff amazing room was cleaned daily to a high standard and mini bar stocked daily "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2017

loved it

"this hotel is brill ,everything is there .Its that good iam booking it again loved it.Food is the best ever,staff are great ,we stayed for three weeks and didnt want to come home."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2012

Hotels near Iberostar Tucan Hotel

Stayed at Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Iberostar Tucan Hotel

• micky66 by micky66

"go for more than two weeks "

• Marcel priest by Marcel priest

"Take plenty of su cream as hotel shops expensive the equivalent of 27 pound for a tube of sun cream "

Iberostar Tucan Hotel is also called