Amazing Stay!

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand from the May 23-30th. When we first got there we were the youngest there by far, we are 22 and 23 years old. By the end of the say there were people there that were younger then us, which was nice to see. I can not say enough about this resort! We checked in and were instantly whisked away in a golf cart to our ocean front room where we met our amazing butler, Victor, who finished checking us in. Our TA emailed the resort before asking that we be on the 3rd floor, and we were. (Anyone who is contemplating an ocean view and an ocean front, spend the extra money for the ocean front, nothing is better then waking up and looking at the ocean. Plus some of the ocean views are stretches for ocean views.) Victor brought us up a bottle of absolute vodka for our stay as well as some juice that we wanted. Then for the rest of the stay he was asking us whenever he saw us if we wanted more juice for our drinks or if there was anything else that we needed for the room or to make our stay better. Everyday we would lay out by the main pool and sometimes move to the tranquility pool or beach. There was never a problem getting a chair anywhere. Most people laid out by the pool and only a handful of people laid out on the beach. Yes, the beach was rocky by the water, but you can go in by the Maya no problem, and you can even find some places in front of the Grand that has no rocks. They are working on trying to remove some of the rocks. Breakfast and lunch is causal. Woman could wear a beach cover-up and men could wear their bathing suit and you would be fine. Dinner, you needed to be more dressed up. Men must be in long pants, they will tell you to go change if you aren’t in long pants. Women can wear whatever they want, (skirts, dress pants, etc) I can not say enough about the food. My boyfriend is a notoriously picky eater and I was worried about what he would find to eat. The problem ended up being him overeating. His favorite place was Toni’s. Our first night we were there, we were so surprised when he ordered red and I ordered white and we each got our own bottle. It’s such a nice touch. We also ate at the Japanese and the Italian and love both, but Toni’s was our favorite. (Nothing beats a double cut filet and a lobster!) The buffet at breakfast and lunch was very good, they always had fresh food and were consistently replenishing food. And the selection was always changing. Room service was also very good and fast. It was always there with in 20-30 minutes of ordering. The rooms were huge and had everything you could need in them. A comfortable bed, large closets, a safe, large TV with DVD player, the bathrooms were huge and had his and her sides. (Her side has a good hair dryer too!) And the jacuzzi is a nice feature too. The AC and lights do turn off when you leave the room after a few minutes, but the room never gets warm. We would be gone for the whole day and come back and the room would still be cold. We did venture outside the resort to Playa del Carmen and wandered around 5th Ave which was fun to walk. We also went deep sea fishing, which we didn’t catch much, but it was interesting the area from the ocean. We never snorkeled off the beach at the Grand because it was too rough while we were there, but did see people at the other resorts doing it close to shore, but I don’t think they saw much. We did snorkel through the Mayan Adventure and it was pretty good, we saw tons of fish, but the water looked almost oily because the fresh and salt water were mixing. We decided after our first day that a week wasn’t going to be long enough and for our next trip we would be back for at least 10 days. The Grand is worth every penny. You will be pampered for every minute that you are there. Anything that you need, they will get you. On our last night while we were at dinner, Victor decorated our room in rose petals, drew us a bubble bath, and have champagne waiting for us. The attention to detail with everything through out the resort is amazing. Since it has just opened I can’t wait to return next year to see what it is like then!"

• Travel date: 4th June 2007

Our wedding and stay 5-13 thru 5-24-07

Reviewed 23rd November 2012

"this is a quick review, i will write another soon.........briefly the grand is better, much much better, then even better than better than perfect. that sums it up but the following is a few comments. to sum up our wedding and 13 days at the iberostar grand, it was 10 times better than perfect then it got ten times better everyday to the point I thought I honestly died and went to heaven, and then it got better. after 10 hours at the resort my bride and I both said we could have got back on the plane and went home and the 10 hours we had spent at the hotel had already been beter than weeks we have spent at any other hotels any where in the world including places like the Hilton Wiakaloa Village Hawaii Big Island and the Hapuna Beach Princess up the beach from the this Hilton on the Big Island. The grand made these $5000.00 a week, supposed travel channell top ten hotels, look like a days inn. The food and drink was so crazy that I took photos of some menus so people would believe that the bars had 22 types of beers and so many kinds of rum vodka and other alcohol that I stopped counting and it is all inclusive. In Hawaii I would have spent 20,000 just on the food we ate at the grand for 13 days. anyway..... step one if anyone is trying to book a last minute trip stop looking and go to this resort. pay the extra money, take out a loan and do whatever you have to do to get there soon. the resort seemed fully staffed but only 150 guests. there were times when my bride and I were out numbered by the staff upwards of 10 to 1. this took the already amazing experience and made it an experience that I think I may never find again in my life. I am sure the grand will be great for years to come but if you can sneak in a trip soon before the occupancy increases. The only way this resort could be better than it is is to be sure to get there before it gets booked up to capacity so the crazy good service is even better. we had our wedding at the grand and it was their first. there were sum bumps in the road but it is so beautiful the bumps smooth out pretty quickly. the wedding was a dream come true except for the same stuff that happens at every wedding like forgetting to check the microphones prior to using them, silly stuff like that. the stay at the hotel overwhelmed us to the point we forgot we came to get married, the wedding was just another perfect day at the grand. we brought 37 other people who stayed at the iberostar maya and they thought the maya was perfect. I spent a lot of time at the maya and it is definitly a 6 golden apple resort, the grand however made the maya, at every level, the rooms, food, service etc, look like it was a 100 year old holiday inn along I-95 coming through the east coast. I have lots of photos but the darn files are too big many to come.."

• Travel date: 26th May 2007

Beautiful resort

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"We just returned from a seven night stay at Iberostar Grand. This was our 8th trip in Rivera Maya and we always try to stay in a six golden apple resrort. This hotel is magnificent. It is the best resort I have stayed in the area. The rooms are amazing with marble bathrooms, pillow menu, i Pods, mini bar, coffee maker, and a whirpool tub and shower. They also provide a modem free of charge for your laptop. You also have a butler to handle any requests. The staff is very accomodating and nice. We had a couple of situations that the waiters were not very service oriented but nothing major. The food, eventhough very high quality ( lobster, filet, shrimp etc) was not always carefuly and tastefully prepared. Their menus were written in English but did not make any sense, and very often the preparation was not as expected. For example if you order Lasagne in the French restaurant you get red snapper with scalops and shrimp, which was delicious. The presentation and portions are very much nouvelle cuisine. L'Atelier was my favorite, followed by Toni's. The sushi was pretty good , but the Italian needs a lot of work . For lunch you can ask for things that are not on the menu like fajitas, grilled chicken breasts, fresh pasta etc. One of the captain's of the dining room is Hugo,and he is very helpful and accomodating. The beach in front of the hotel is a bit rocky but by walking to the Iberostar next door you have a beautiful sandy beach. The enterntaiment in the evenings was suprisingly good. I especially enjoyed the big band show. The animation team was very nice, polite, helpful and not intrusive. Do not miss the spa pool and the quiet pool on the side of the hotel. It is very relaxing. With some minor adjustements this could be a very near perfect vacation destination. I would highly reccomend this hotel and I am a very pickey person. The service is similar to the Ritz Carlton."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2007

Amazing Honeymoon at the Grand

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel from May 6th-20th for our honeymoon. We had an amazing time and would recommend this resort to anyone. We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya (right next door) last winter and although it too is a great resort it can not compare to the Grand. Here are a few notes on the resort for anyone considering it for their vacation... Food- Amazing! There is one restaurant for breakfast and one for lunch (which over looks the beach). They are both buffet but also have a menu with other items to choose from. If there was something we wanted but wasn't on the menu the staff would go out of their way to try and get it for us. For dinner there are four restaurants to choose from (no buffet)- Surf & Turf, Japanese, Italian and Gourmet. Our favourite was the Surf & Turf and the Japanese for the Teppanyaki. The steak at the Surf and Turf was better than steakhouses here at home and my husband was in heaven for the all you can eat lobster! Eventhough it is not in season right now he was able to have as much lobster as he wanted at the restaurant. Also, we still had access to the other Iberostar resorts to we ate there a few times as well just to change it up a bit. The room service was also amazing. The food was always hot and tasted just as good as at the restaurant. A few times we ordered and asked if they had something that wasn't on the menu and they had no problem making it for us. Drinks- The Grand has all the premium liqour and it made all the difference in the world! Drinks that I didn't like last year at the Maya tasted amazing at this resort beacause they used the good stuff to make them! They had everything from Bailey's and Crown Royal to Grey Goose vodka. People who had stayed at other resorts in the past also noticed a difference in the taste of their drinks so it's a pretty noticible difference. Beach- The beach is beautiful! People from the other Iberostar resorts can't use the beach (chairs etc) on the Grand side which was nice because we could come out to the beach around 11am and still have TONS of chairs to sit on unlike the other resorts which were packed. Also, no kids running around which a lot of people really enjoyed. The ocean right in front of the resort however is a bit rocky with quite a bit of coral. We were able to find one small clear spot to walk out and swim in but since there were lots of waves we still ran into them a bit. BUT the water in front of the Maya is clear and perfect for swimming. It's literally a one minute walk along the beach (you can see it from the Grand) so it's really not bad at all. Pools- There are 2 pools. A quiet pool and the main pool which is an eternity pool overlooking the ocean. The quite pool is just that.. no music or swim up bar. The main pool has a fully stocked swim up bar, lots of people around and 4 hot tubs attached to the pool. You can get noodles and rafts and whatever else you might want. There are no towel cards at the resort just a towel hut that you can ask for as many towels as you want. Staff & Service- Incredible. This is was stood out most for me compared to other resorts. Every staff member at the Grand was so friendly and bent over backwards to make sure everything was perfect. The resort was only about 25% full when we were there so maybe once it fills up a bit more they won't able to spend to much time with everybody but they were great. I think that covers the most important stuff. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation.. honeymoon or a place to get married the Grand is an amazing resort that we thoroughly enjoyed and hope to return to one day. We highly recommend it to anyone!"

• Travel date: 20th May 2007

The New Standard

Reviewed 23rd November 2012

"My wife and I just got back from 4 nights/5 days at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. Last year we were at the Royal Hideaway and had every intention of returning, however, due to the reported beach/groups/kids issues as reported on Trip Advisor we decided to try the Grand. Our impressions: The Good: •The grounds and the buildings are magnificent. •A much larger property than the Royal Hideaway and yet approximately 300 rooms. •You do not feel as “enclosed” as you do at the Royal Hideaway which is a narrow property. •Numerous restaurants, a cigar room, a disco, a computer room (only three computers but not crowded due to low occupancy) a billiard room, etc. •Very low occupancy (approximately 30%). We enjoyed that. •Wonderful pools, hot tubs everywhere. •A beautiful separate spa building with an indoor pool. A very nice touch. •Excellent service; your own butler. •The staff worked very hard to meet our every request. We did not have one bad moment with any of the staff. •The hotel is near a P.B. Dye golf course that is part of the Iberostar complex. They had a Canadian tournament while we were there and the butler arranged a round and transportation for me at Mayakoba just down the road. There was no charge and the execution was flawless. I just enjoyed the experience. •A very wide and beautiful beach. Someone mentioned rocks and there are rocks on one part of this huge beach, however, it just adds character in our minds. There appears to be no barrier reef on this portion of the beach so the surf can be fairly high at times. •Free shuttle bus into town running every hour in the morning and every two hours in the afternoon. •The pictures on various web sites do not do the buildings or the grounds justice, the stone work, woodwork, furniture and fixtures throughout are just amazing. •The rooms are larger than at the Royal Hideaway and more comfortable. •The balconies are furnished with teak floors, a small sofa, a rattan swing and a small table…very nice. •Outdoor covered walkways were a nice touch of luxury. •A pillow menu. •The Grand itself is a very large property for only 300 rooms and it takes you awhile to explore all of the features. Then you have access to all of the other Iberostar properties! We were so busy relaxing we never once experienced any of the other properties. •At times we had entire pools to ourselves. Watching the sunrise on the beach at 6:15 a.m. we were alone. Luxuries unto themselves. The Bad: •Beautifully prepared food that is expertly served in wonderful settings that simply does not taste very good. Specifics: •My dinner at the Italian restaurant consisted of spinach ravioli filled with ricotta cheese. It was dry; served on a bed of what can only be described as a form of salsa (finely chopped tomatoes with a few onions and basil) with a small drizzle of pesto sauce as more of a decorative element on the side. There was no sauce to speak of. Again, beautifully prepared and served but lacking a good sauce for taste. Perhaps that is a more of a northern Italian take on ravioli (but I do not think so) and if so I did not care for it and would prefer the Sicilian. •Good points were the excellent minestrone soup and wonderful deserts. •My filet in the Surf and Turf Restaurant was very good however, you only had one choice of potato (Lyonaise). •Breakfasts: The only buffet meal. Too much oil used in the scrambled eggs, no toast served, a very wide range of cheeses, fruits, etc, however, it is hard to tell exactly what was being served. For instance, the containers for maple syrup, olive oil and honey are exactly the same white ceramic and you cannot tell which is which. •Booking this hotel was somewhat problematic for me at first. I’m used to using Orbitz, Expedia, etc. and not using travel agents. Apparently none of the Iberostars use the online services and it took me awhile to realize I was being bounced to a travel agent for my ticket/room package. That required a little more research (a call to Iberostar regarding the agent and a little more research on the agent). I just re-read this and thought I may have sounded somewhat picky regarding the food. I’m trying to be specific about fine points and I sound petty. This was a wonderful vacation…considerably better than our Royal Hideaway experience, better than the Cayman Islands, better than Aruba, etc. and I would certainly go back. The Iberostar Grand simply needs to work on the menu a little bit. This is, by far, the best hotel experience on the Riviera Maya in my humble opinion. I hope they have the patience to stay the course until the hotel achieves its full potential and the willingness to listen to constructive critiques and make the necessary changes. Thank you all for your Trip Advisor input that helped us make our decision and I hope my review is helpful to someone in making theirs."

• Travel date: 19th May 2007

Didn't want to leave!!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Just finished a six night stay at the resort. Everything you are reading already is pretty much on queue. I was so impressed with the service we received from our concierge to the butler, waitstaff and just about everyone else we encountered. We have stayed at another five star resort just south of the Grand and can say that in total honesty if/when we come back we will stay at the Grand again. The food is really wonderful and the pool areas are not at all crowded. I know that even when word gets out and there are more people going to this resort that they will maintain their standard of excellence. I was assured this by several of the staff members. There were a few glitches with room service but it was corrected promptly and the food was outstanding. If you are considering a five star vacation without too far to travel this is the place. I felt like a princess the entire time. We had an ocean front room, spectacular view with a lounge chair on the veranda and a swinging chair. We actually slept out there and let the sound of the ocean lull us to sleep on two different nights. There were people from all over the world staying at the hotel and the pool staff did such a great job at trying to include everyone for the activites. We went over to one of the other hotels for drinks which was nice however, you really must try to take the bicycle tour in the morning or afternoon because they take you around to all the hotels in the complex (only thirty minutes) and it's plain to see how immaculate the older hotels are and what pride the Iberostar company takes in all their properties. I knew nothing about this hotel and can honestly say that I have never been more satisfied with all aspects of a resort in all my years of traveling."

• Travel date: 15th May 2007

Excellent choice

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"This resort is world class 5 stars. Food is outstanding in all 4 "a la carte" restaurants, including the 2 buffets. You get Maine lobster, crab, prawns, Prime AAA steaks, etc. The all inclusive wine list is excellent. You can get almost any international brand name drinks, including fine whiskey & scotch. You get excellent butler and concierge services in each building. The rooms are nicely appointed, large, comfy and extra clean. The room furniture is high quality. We also get turn-down service every night. The minibar is stocked daily with wine, beer, soft drinks, water and fine alcools. Coffee, chips and various nuts is also stocked daily. The jaccuzi was standard size, you also get bathrobes and slippers. We also had a nice patio with high quality furniture and even a teak deck. The pools are incredible, one filled with salt water having an infinite view to the ocean. The pool tiling perfectly matches the color of the sea. The pool area is fully stocked with the usual beach accessories including complimentary sun block lotion, books and current magazines. The resort was almost empty when we got there, partly because it has just opened and for adults only (18+ ). We also have access to the other four Iberostar resorts on site. They have a amazing spa with a large indoor pool. Great for relaxation and pampering. Very quiet, with soft "zen" music. The parties are next door (Iberostar Lindo). In short, one of the best places in Mexico."

• Travel date: 12th May 2007

Superb in every way

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I wrote a review on Iberostar-boards. If anyone knows how to transfer it over please feel free. There are none of the conventional complaints at this resort you so frequently read about in other reviews. ie. , musty rooms, hard beds, poor quality liquor, deficient service, shortage of loungers, too much walking, etc. It was all outstanding and great value in my opinion."

• Travel date: 12th May 2007

Beautiful Resort with all you could ask for

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"This resort is brand new opened in late Feb 2007. Rooms are large and beautifuly done Grounds are done to perfection, growth is small at present as it is new but will be a beauty when growen in. This is an adult only resort. 3 beautiful pools wonderful beach area and so clean with lot of seating. Beautiful swim up bar with so much to choose from all premium drinks. 5 fantastic al a carts meals are to die for and served hot and so attractive. Service is amazing staff are friendly and perfessional go above and beyond the call of duty. Entertainment was excellent and alot of client interaction. Truely a 5+ luxury resort. Great place for honeymooners. Go and experience it for yourself,you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: 10th May 2007

First Class Resort

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso from May 3 to the 6th and had a very nice time. The hotel is very elegant and the suites are so beautiful. No expense was spared to build this hotel. We stayed in a sea view suite and the view of the water was beautiful. We spent a lot of time on the balcony in the evenings watching the cruise ships go by. The rooms are huge and furnished with everything you could ask for. The mini bar has single servings of liquor but if there is something that you prefer they will bring a full size bottle to the room. There didn't seem to be too many guests as the pool only had maybe 30 people tops at any one time. It was very quiet and not much going on in the pool area. They only have one bar at the saltwater pool and there wasn't a bar at the quiet pool. (This pool never had anyone in it). I did miss not having food available at the pool. There was a restaurant not too far away but they didn't have pool service. The way they presented the food was beautiful but it seemed like it catered to European tastes more than American. Never seemed to have much variety at the buffets. Also they didn't label what the foods were so there were many things that we had no idea what they were and the waitstaff were not very good at understanding English. At the finer restaurants you didn't know what was on the menu until you were seated. Would have liked to have them put a display menu out so you could determine if you wanted to eat there. We had a great time and loved the privacy and the relaxing atmosphere."

• Travel date: 6th May 2007