Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Boulevard Kukulcan, Km 8.5, Manzana 50 Lote 4, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500 Mexico

Good

Not "understated elegance"

"I thought the Riu Palace was perfect...almost...but it took my husband a bit of time to get used to the level of luxury that the Palace provides. We live in a tourist area with luxury accomodations but a very casual lifestyle and I felt that was exactly what the Riu Palace was all about. The staff was friendly and hard working and our room was more than nice. It was our 35th anniversary and the first time in 35 years that we were "vacationing" on our anniversary. The reception staff sent a bottle of champagne up with a card that said Happy Birthday...but I'm didn't mention any special occasion when we checked in so I'm not for sure how they knew it was a special occasion so I was impressed...and we enjoyed it! I booked a junior suite and it was fabulous but we didn't need all that. I think a regular room would be just fine. The food was fabulous, especially the Japanese Restaurant.
But even the regular buffets were impressive for a buffet. Everything was fresh with great presentation and the staff was attentive and accomodating. These are the things that we would suggest to management to enhance the appeal....coffee pots in the room, less dress code and reservation only restaurants and some type of shade for the beach area.
Just our opinion.... Will we go back there? We are split... I would in a minute and my husband probably would go for something less ostentatious. But it deserves an excellent rating!"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2004

The Riu Palace treats you like Royalty and is like paradise!

"We just got back from the Riu Palace, and all I can say is this is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. I am in my early twenties and went with my mid-twenties year old boyfriend from April 1 - April 8, 2004.

We had vacationed to St. Maarten and stayed at the Maho and went to Los Cabos and stayed at the Presidente, and those two don't even compare to the Riu. We were originally booked at the Riu Cancun and I was hoping that we would get switched to this hotel after reading the reviews and to my luck, we did. We got to use both the Riu Palace and the Riu Cancun facilities, it was great!!Anyway, the hotel grounds are very beautiful, very clean - the staff is constantly cleaning.

The room is gorgeous with an ocean view balcony, a sitting area, and a minibar. It was a great room. Anyway the staff was very friendly and so was the concierge.We went to swim with the dolphins, and went to Chichen Itza to see the Mayan Pyramids - it was the most exhiliarating experiences climbing them!I highly recommend this resort as the managers are always trying to ask what we think about the hotel and how to improve it. The nightly entertainment is awesome, the best one is the Michael Jackson one.

All in all, a wonderful 5 star hotel.Those that do have complaints, should not come to Mexico because a 5 star in Mexico is by far not a 5 star like in the States or Canada because it is after all a less developped country, but I do give them credit with this hotel and Cancun has lots to do.We went to some clubs Coco Bongo, and The City.
They were good, there are lots of bars and lot s of shopping, I recommend the Isla shopping Mall - very good experience!"

As close to Heaven as I will probably get

"At Riu Palace Las Americas March 24 for seven nights. Loved it. We were bumped from the Riu Caribe that had been over booked. The hotel is spotless, very friendly staff. Not all speak english well (some not at all), however it was never a problem. We had 8th floor looking straight over pool to ocean beyond, just great. Food very good, linens changed daily, mini bar stocked with soda, water, beer, and hard stuff. Ironing board, in room safe, and blow dryer. I highly recommend this place."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of April 2004

Riu: Stay away from the time share folks....

"Just got back from a week at the Riu Palace Las Americas. The property is beautiful and well maintained. The only thing that we wished that we would have done earlier in the week is meet Charlie Drew. We visited Xcaret and some other local attractions and found out that we paid way too much. Even the FunJet guy that we booked through in the hotel tried to pull a number on us! Anyway - Charlie is an American living in Cancun who speaks fluent English. Charlie is incredibly honest & knowledgeable about the area. He runs a travel type place located in the strip mall directly across the street from the Riu in between the video and Cactus Liquor shop. He got us on an awesome snorkeling trip for a lot less than anyone else was offering and we saw tons of fish! He knows about the great restaurants off the beaten path and not in Frommer's. Next time we are down there, I will email Charlie (-----------------------) and let him set us up on some more trips.I have no affiliation with Charlie but after a few hours in Cancun, you will be looking for someone who is honest (no high pressure/time share) and can speak English.Market 28 is overrated (some guy tried to sell us a hit from his hashish pipe at Market 28). I would rec. hoping the bus and ferry over to Isle Las Mujeras. The place is amazing! From shopping to eating, this place has it all!Back to the Riu: Los Acros is disgusting (hunks of meat with no seasoning). The Gourmet, Steak House and Japanese are pretty good.While I am rambling, I talked to a time share guy while I was waiting on my wife one afternnon. Do the buyers ever actually think about the total of what they are paying? There is no way in hell that this could ever be a good deal. Maybe back in the 70's, but with the discount travel sites, these properties, economically, are a joke! They break it out into such small payments that, I guess, some people think that it is a good deal. The Rent to own stores are a similar concept: Only 10.99 a week for a tv set for only 1 year. You've now spent 550 bucks for a 250.00 tv set."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of April 2004

Paridise

""Paradise" the best way I can discribe this place. The service is top notch, the hotel staff was very pleasing, the pool & sports & entertainment was fabulus for kids & adults alike. Little pricy but worth every penny(peso). Resteraunts have fabulas food from all over the world. we were treated like royality(hense the word palace). very close to alot of cancuns night life if you want or just stay for the shows @ the hotel the a great also excpecially (Micheal Jackson & Grease). Alian, David, & Omar great people to have in a organization.
Thanks again."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of April 2004

Beautiful Hotel

"I heard about the property from a coworker who had been upgraded from another hotel. He paid a lot less than I did. I wished I had booked at another hotel and had gotten the upgrade. Sitting by the pool and hearing everyone's upgrade stories was a little annoying.

However, the hotel was great. The service, staff, food, pool were all spectacular. The best meals were at the Japanese, Gourmet, and Steak House. The Brazillian was not my cup of tea. Too much meat !!! Men and Women ---- Bring Slacks for Dinner.

I did not drink out of the Liquor dispensor, but they have 4 bottles of different kind of liquors at your taking in the room. The mini-bar was well stocked and with a couple of dollars of extra tips each day can get you lots of extras !!

I tipped the staff even though it was included in the price of the trip. It was well worth it with the "extra" service !!!

I hope to go back soon. And they did a GREAT job of keeping out the Spring Breakers when I was there !!!

Happy Holidays."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

What a great time

"Wife and I stayed from March 6th to the 9th. What a place. From Alex the Bell Captain, Luis and Hector (bartenders) they were awsome. Hotel was very neat and clean. Rooms were spacious, air conditioners work well. Breakfast, lunch buffet were all good. The international buffet, Los Argos Brazilian Rodizio, and the Steak House was excellent. Did not get a chance to eat in the Tapas or Japanese resturant. Beach was not very big, but was clean. Security was all around hotel. Mini bar in room was stocked every day, if you wanted something, all you had to do was ask. The shows at night were also very good. Cannot say enough about hotel, all positive. Excellent pool activity staff, David, Omar.
Will be going back again next year, only to stay longer."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

Awesome Place, Great Food, & Superior Service

"I would stay here again...without a doubt. The people were unbelievably friendly and the place is immaculate. We started out at the Riu Caribe (a dump) and because they could not give us the Jr. Suite we reserved we were moved to Riu Palace. What a stroke of luck. I plan to return to Riu Palace. I'm wasn't a big "Mexico" fan for vacations...until now. I loved the Riu Palace. By the way, the food is Awesome which is rare at an all-inclusive. This turned out to be a great "value" vacation that went well beyond my expectations."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2004

European Gem on the Cancun Strip

"We are seasoned travellers who selected the RIU Palace for a 1 week family vacation (unlike those who were upgraded from other RIU's). What an outstanding resort! The rooms are spacious and well appointed (although not extaclty sound proof given all of the marble & granite flooring). We had no issues getting our minibar refreshed (including adding gin, tonic & limes as well as having bottles of sparkling wine & flutes delivered). The staff is well trained, accomodating, and service oriented. The evening shows were entertaining and professional - even our young teens enjoyed them. The food was outstanding - choice, quality, abundance. Breakfast & lunches were varied and fresh buffets (try the italian resturant for lunch, salad bar plus pastas and pizzas from menus). We sampled each dinner restaurant & rate them (best to worst) Japanese, Gourmet, Steakhouse, Brazilian, Buffet, and Tapas.
While tastefully decorated, the restaurants lack a bit of ambiance (no music, lighting too bright) and given their two seatings a night at times you feel a bit rushed. Plenty of sunny areas, plenty of shade, tonnes of chairs available...overall resort layout and appointments were great. Not too large like so many of the Cancun properties. The dress code (pants for men & boys at dinner) was strictly enforced, and not onerous. Overall, a unique "boutique" all-inclusive in the heart of the strip. I think this property will improve as it is filled with guests that choose this property versus those who are moved here - still likely 75% full of people who have been shifted from other properties."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of March 2004

a true palace

"First of all we were not originally booked at the RIU Palace, but at the RIU Cancun next store. Upon arrival (march 10th) at the RIU Cancun we were offered an upgrade to the Palace. They were offering this mostly to couples... We were told it was due to the fact that the hotel had just opened 6 weeks prior, and they were running a promo...basically to get people to review their hotel. Since we traveled with Apple, and they were encouraging us along with the hotel to transfer over to the Palace...we went ahead and moved. Not only did we have all inclusive at the palace but also the Riu cancun. So we had like 11 restaraunts, and 9 bars to enjoy. The staff at the palace was phenomenal. They made you feel special, and were very friendly. Alex the door man.....way too cool. The bartenders were so much fun, and 20 pesos goes a long way. The drinks were at times weak, but if you asked for it strong..you received it that way. I cannot say enough about the entertainment staff. They really get you involoved, and we had a blast. In fact I missed them after leaving! The food was always fresh, and tasty. We didn't get sick like EVERYONE in the states had said we would. The beach was very clean, and the water absolutley gorgeous. It really is a classy hotel. The structure and architecture were truly amazing. It's all decorated in European/Roman style. Cleanliness....unbelieveable! They had one woman that scrubbed a huge rug all day long. The rooms are really nice, and the bed was very comfortable. Everything in the room was granite, and marble. We had a beautiful ocean view. EVERYONE has an ocean view room. We slept every night with the screen door open listening to the waves crash on shore. I would say this hotel is more for couples, and families. We had very very few spring breakers. But next store at the cancun....it was packed with spring breakers....although they did have a nice place too. Anyone who books at the Palace can use the RIU Cancun too. But not vice/versa. My only comlpaints...they didn't re-stock the mini bar after 2days...I had to call a few times before they sent someone up to our room. Our maid came at very inconsistent times, but did a nice job. Nothing was stolen....we had heard horror stories from other hotels in Cancun. You are given a safe, so that is nice. The liquor dispensers (tequila, rum,vodka, and brandy) were great too. haha. The blow dryer had very little power.... But I tell you this place is awesome, and I highly receommend it to anyone considering a cancun trip in the near future....especially before everyone finds out what a great place it really is, and then becomes so busy. They do have a strict dress code for evening meals. Men must wear pants. No tanks. The pools were so very clean, and beautiful....one looks right into the ocean with a little waterfall over the edge. One hot tub outside....2 inside the spa. They also offer moonlight massages on the beach....for 50 minutes....160 us dollars a couple. I could go on and on. Visit the Palace you won't regret it."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of March 2004

Another excellent holiday in Mexico

"Arrived at the Riu Palace to have been put in a smoking room.The curtains even stank of smoke.No problem with smoking but could not stay 2 week in that.We got moved the next day .It was prefect and over the pool.Easy to get on the local bus and easy for the malls.You can use the cancun next door and the Rui Caribe .We did spennd a lot of time in the Riu Cancun as I must admit I love there."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of January 2013

Great Vacation

"The Riu was beautiful and clean. Our rooms were damp, but all rooms are damp in Cancun. The service was exceptional. We made reservations for the restaurants three nights while we were there. They were all good. The main dining hall was just as good though. We enjoyed the food from around the world. The beach was exceptional as well. It was absolutely gorgeous. The pictures of the hotel and beach on the website match what you see when you get there. We were within walking distance to many attractions. I felt very safe in Cancun. We rode the bus once to the pirate dinner cruise. The bus ride itself was an adventure. We had four young adults with us. They enjoyed the "party" pool tremendously. The hotel had entertain and activities in and around the pool. I really enjoyed the water aerobics. If you didn't want to be around the "party" pool, you could enjoy the family pool or beach. There were nightly shows. We watched two of them, and both shows were great. The dancers were professional. We watched the Grease and Broadway shows. I read some negative reviews on the website, and I just can't believe anyone would have anything negative to say about the Riu. It was the best vacation we had to Cancun. We did tip some of the waiters. So, if you want to tip (optional) take US currency-ones and fives because the hotel didn't deal with American money. There is a money exchange across the street with an ATM machine. Great vacation!

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2012

Hotels near Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Stayed at Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

• thefoxy by thefoxy

"If you are not happy with the room ask to move "

• olly141961 by olly141961

"cancun is just a paradise come true and the rui palace las america will blow you away "

• olly141961 by olly141961

"pool bar in hotel WILMOT wont stop giving you beer "

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas is also called