Friendly Staff

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"My husbande and I, with our 4 children ages 17, 16,14,11 stayed at the Avalon Grand Cancun from 7/2/03 til 7/7/03 . We had a great time!!! The staff was so very nice and helpful. The food was good and the kids loved the idea of all inclusive so they ate and drank whenever they wanted. The beach so so clean. The sand there was just like soft white cake flour. There were volleyball games on the beach and in the activity pool. We visited the Avalon Bay one day. We went Kayaking at the Avalon Bay and had a wonderful lunch. We went to the Avalon Reef one day. We didn't care for it as much as the Grand and the Bay. We took the Jungle Tour in the 2 seater boats. It was a blast!! The snorkling on that Jungle Tour was beautiful. We saw so many fish. We think the service we recieved at the Avalon Resorts was some of the best we have had anywhere. Very Happy Vacationeer Mike , Tracy and Family"

• Travel date: 13th July 2003

A place of calm in Cancun's storm

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"This hotel was a pleasant surprise! The suite we were given was superb and very spacious with living area, dining area, large bedroom screened off by mirrored doors, spacious bathroom with walk in shower and tasteful decorating details. Maid service was truly excellent with each day new towel sculptures to amuse us. Food was excellent and waiter service was friendly, fast, efficient but not intrusive. Themed Mexican restaurent was very very good with tasty shrimp dishes and wonderful theatrically served Mayan coffee. Great fun. Front desk and concierge were excellent and the charming ladies at the concierge desk went out of their way to assist. The spa was fairly priced and a joint massage my husband and I took was thorough and professional and very caring. The only issue I would mention with the hotel is the beach. The sand is lovely and the beach is clean and looks lovely however, there are very tricky currents here and this stopped a dip in the sea being fun and turned it into an endurance test. Definately not a good idea for children. There was however a life guard on duty each day and he was clearly taking his job seriously as was constantly watching the guests swimming and calling them in if they went out to far. Location of this hotel is good, the bus stops outside every few minutes and Flamingo Plasa is just across the road for drinks and snacks to supplement your all inclusive deal. No hesitation in recommending this hotel but be aware it is not party central, it is a civilised, calm and quality hotel in a nice quiet part of the hotel zone."

• Travel date: 8th July 2003

Had a Fantastic vacation there!

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Our travel dates were June 30th to July 5th. We just got back. HAD a great time! Everone was Very friendly, from the front desk to the maids. The food was good. We lounged by the pool most of the time and drank pina coladas but the beach was also nice. Everyone of the hotels had about the same sized beach, with steps leading leading to it. There was enough room for everyone. Rooms were beautiful and cleaned daily. Our maid put little towel "animals" on our bed everyday. They were cute. Time share not a problem. You were invited to go to the presentation the second day. If you did not want to go it was ok. Just say no. Pools were very nice and the hot tubs were hot! So if you don't mind steps [ and we definately did not as it gave us a way to work off some of the great food ]then this hotel is a great place to stay! We liked it so much that we DID get a membership!"

• Travel date: 5th July 2003

This place was great!!!!!

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Our stay was from 6/16/03 to 06/23/03. The hotel is really nice and comfortable. The Beach is real and beautiful. The food was good and the drinks were not watered. We had a wonderful time..The time share issue is no big deal..they only asked us once . It did seem to help to be an "all inclusive" patron. The staff was attentive and pleasant. You do have to climb stairs but the structure is set up almost like a castle so it is a different experience than a common square hotel structure. The pools were also very good. We would go back anytime."

• Travel date: 25th June 2003

Had a great time

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Our travel dates were June 14--21, 2003. The hotel was beautiful. I wasn't really sure what to expect after reading some of these reviews and truthfully, I was a little uneasy about staying there. My family and friends (total of 7 on trip) decided to make our own judgement of the hotel. Everyone was very nice and helpful and at check in our only problem was all 3 rooms weren't together, but that was corrected. Our older children (as requested) had an adjoining room to us which worked out great. The rooms were very nice , but the beds were alittle harder than we were use too. Daily we had cleaning service and small towel designs (which we thought were cute), were put on our beds. The restaurants were very good. Our kids also took advantage of the room service which offered cheeseburgers. You could get this also at any restaurant if you just asked. The activities staff, sometimes sat down with us at breakfast to see if were were joining in the volleyball games and other activities that were going on that day. At the bar, they offered to make new drinks we haven't had with or without alcohol. We also were able to visit some of the other Avalon Resorts and the island. We had a great time and liked each one. I have to say that my kids 13-16 & 19 all liked the Grand most and we adults liked them all. Something to do for everyone. The public transportation was also helpful instead of renting a car $.60. We really enjoyed our stay and everyone there was wonderful, from the front desk to the beach bar. Just a note about one review that comented on the beach, every hotel had pretty much the same amount of sand out front, all had steps down from there decks and all the folks we spoke with had no complaints about the steps or the amount of sand out front. We loved it and would like to go back there and some of the other locations. This reveiw page is great, but Please go judge for yourself! Everyones experience can be different."

• Travel date: 22nd June 2003

Avalon Member and wouldn't stay here again

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I've finally got the chance to write this. We stayed at the Avalon Grand from 2/21/03-2/28/03. What started out to be a wonderful honeymoon turned sour quickly. Basically as soon as we checked in. Late flight, 12:00 am arrival (not the hotels fault)and nothing open in the hotel. As a Avalon Member, I quickly found out that the All Inclusive was not part of my membership. I read my contract front to back and did not see a clause stating the AI was an option for members. (still haven't found since returning home either). Was woke up early the first morning with a call from the Sales desk people to make sure that I had checked in, a fact that could have been verified at the front desk. He wanted to see my new bride and I, to "go over some things". As it turned out, he wanted us to take the tour of the property, to upgrade our membership. Something that they continued to explore my entire vacation. Without the AI, we began our venture around Cancun in search of food. This was good thing, as the food at the Grand is sub-par to say the least. Except for the burgar/nacho stand in the court yard, and The Porterhouse Grill. Too bad the Porterhouse isn't part of the resort...it would bring the quality up. For the record, the Porterhouse is awesome, the best steak I've ever had. We didn't eat at Mi Casa Su Casa, but we did look over the menu, couldn't find anything we liked. I compared it to the 6 lowest items on an Azteca menu. Housekeeping was pretty much not happening, unless I called for it. Or, I would get the knock on the door with the privacy card in place. The bed was like a slab of granite, and the brick floor always felt wet. All-in-all the room was nice, but I wouldn't concider it a "studio" as advertised. The view from our terrace was incredible. Beach and Pool, not much of a beach, but more than I've seen other people write about. About 15 feet from the wall of the pool to the water. Ahhh the pool. Nice for the most part. Right Temp., but the poolthe most part. Also, the pool tour person thought he was a comic, and would talk even louder than the "oldies" were playing. No pool side bar, however there is 2 beach bars. So, either a walk down the stairs, or up to the lobby bar. As a member we only had to walk 1/2 that distance. Pool side drink/food service was non-exsistant. The tour desk is a good addition, with the purchase of a tour company, The Grand offers great prices for off property excursions. If you don't like or can't manage stairs, then you wouldn't want to stay here. Stairs are everywhere. I travel for work, and vacation atleast once a year, I would give The Grand 3-4. The plus is the view, location to activities and shopping, the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Just say no to any tours of the property. You may not get the service you would like if you do, but you'll be much happier in the long run."

• Travel date: 1st May 2003

Better think twice

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We visited Cancun from March 8th thru the 15th. We didn't get the all inclusive so we were pretty much ignored unless we complained about something(and there were things to complain about). Our first room was a small corner room in the building across from the main one. It was supposed to have a king bed but was maybe a queen-we then immediately discovered we had no hot water. We had to take a double room somewhat close to the rest of our party. The rooms don't have coffee makers or coffee, no clock radio with cd player or full size ironing board and iron as described in the brochure. The rooms were clean and pretty but always damp. You have to pay extra for the exercise room though it's supposedly free. The pool by the beach was very nice and warm-the other pool is quite cold. The whirlpool tubs are barely warm and not worth sitting in. The man selling timeshares bothers you constantly until you are downright rude."

• Travel date: 18th March 2003

get it in writing

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We read the reviews and thought that the reports of people getting a lesser room than they reserved were isolated incident. Well, it was good that we were prepared because that is exactly what happened to us. I do not enjoy having to fight with the hotel staff to get more or less what I paid for. Other than that, the pool is very nice and the view from the ocean view rooms is great, much better than from rooms in larger hotels where you are farther from the sea. There is practically no beach. Maintenance is also below average. I would not go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: 18th March 2003

Had a wonderful time

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed here from 2/28/03 to 3/2/03. Read all of the reviews on this site and decided to form our own opinion. We had a guest room that was about the size of a standard hotel room, no balcony, but we did have a private front patio on the third floor, with a lagoon view. We had wonderful service throughout, from the front desk, to the bellman, to the maids. Everyone we talked to had no problem speaking any English. The food at the Bellavista (breakfast, lunch & dinner buffets), were not very good. Dinner at Mi Casa es su Casa was excellent though...and yes, the honey garlic shrimp was fabulous (Xtabencun Shrimp). Ask for Juan, he was our server on three nights. Also, Kelly's Sports bar was a fun place to hang out before heading out to the clubs. Their food was basic bar food, but pretty good nonetheless. The Porterhouse Grill is located here, although it is not part of the AI price. Steaks here are the best I have had anywhere! The beach was absolutely gorgeous, pool was a nice temperature and the pool staff (say hi to Luis for me!) was great, very friendly. Not a five star resort in my opinion, more like a four star......but I like the fact that it was smaller, and we got more personal service. There are lots of winding stairs and steps here, so if you have a big problem with that, you may want to look at staying elsewhere (there are elevators to some floors). Other than that, I really liked this place. Great location in the hotel zone, across from Plaza Flamingo mall, and the bus stops right in front of the hotel. I'd stay here again."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2003

Not so bad overall

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I had read the reviews prior to my stay from Feb.8 to Feb.14/03 and was concerned it would not be so great. Comparing it to the other resorts nearby I was greatful for the ambiance it provided as it really was wonderful. The beach was smaller than the pictures advertised, however a storm had washed it away partly. Still, there was no need for a ladder as reported by others. There was enough beach to work with. Our room was fabulous, the food was okay and the service satisfactory. I would definately reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting an enjoyable stay without paying the high end prices of the Hilton or Club Med etc.. Angie"

• Travel date: 18th February 2003