Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710 Mexico

Mexican Paradise

"Wow! In a nut shell that is what was said from the time we landed. Left
Edmonton -30c to +30c January 04. Air Transit,very good sevice ( yes
Canada has atleast 1 reliable airline)
Colonial Paladium was the first resort as a family of 4 that we have been to. From the time you get there, there is nothing for you to do, exept put one foot in front of the other and just gaze at your surroudings,in your mind Paradise. From the bell boys (Tony) to the people at the front desk , there is nothing overlooked. You are given your resort braclet(pretty much a Hey I'am tourist ) tag. From there you are taken to your Villa on a stretched golf cart. Our room is not what we expect. The floors are ceramic tile shinning like a mirror,the beds although small but very comfortable, the bathroom, all chrome and tile gleaming with all the gagets of a high class hotel, not what we expected.

We ate at 2 of the 3 alecarte' restaraunts, the food was excellent as
was the service. The buffetts were also very good, the girls that greet
you are always smilling and seat you right away. The people that work
there are always willing to help you and always acknowledge your
precence there. Then there's the pool again ,wow! . The beach,although
a little rocky in places, was kept very clean. The sand was white and
very fine. Entertainment at night was awsome ,the dancers put on a very
good show as did the pre show entertainment, where they would have
guests on stage to entertain. Two times a week there would be vendors
that would set up there displays to sell there goods. Booze was
aplenty, they could have a menu to let you know what they serve. Every
morning for a couple of hours there was a place to go and book your
tours that you would like to do. Dollar exchange at the resort was not
as good as say 5th ave in Playa De Carman( best was at the airport).
Returning to this resort will be on our list to do again. For those of
you that are not sure about the reviews that you read, just stay at
home and read what fun the rest of us are having.
The Walkers"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of February 2004

Loved the Palladium!!

"My husband & I along with family and friends stayed at the Palladium January 28- February 4, 2004. Before our arrival I emailed Lourdes Estrada (Reservations Manager) requesting that all of us be in building 21 on the Colonial Side, our request was granted upon check in. There is only one word to describe this resort.....BEAUTIFUL!! I have stayed at several all-inclusive resorts in Cancun, Mayan Riviera, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and St. Maarten. I have to say this is one of my favorites. The marble lobby is elegant, and one can tell that no expense was spared at this resort. Check in went smoothly and we were taken to our rooms by the bell boys in golf carts. We all had Junior Suites and I was again baffled at how spacious and beautiful our room was. Again, marble everywhere! The grounds are well manicured with palm trees and tropical flowers everywhere. The pool is huge and like no other I have ever seen. We brought a raft with us based on the reviews I read on this site, and it sure came in handy getting to and from the swim up bar. The pool is deep as mentioned in past reviews, and was a bit cold the first two days we were there. It did warm up alot and we were able to spend more time lounging around on the loungers built into the pool. The activities staff is great and they always have something going on. Whether it be bingo, water polo, or the crazy game fun is sure to be had by all. My husband and brother even won a bottle of tequila! Cesar, Jason and Amanda are great, we sure do miss them! We ate at the Italian, Steak House, and Japanese restaurants. The Japanese was our favorite. Make sure you reserve the show table. It was great!
Don't get me wrong the food was decent at the other two, but in my opinion I thought the dishes were lacking in presentation and variety compared to other all-inclusive resorts ala carte restaurants. The buffets were great with a wide variety of choices for everyone. One will not go hungry here. Service was good too. There was the occasional time or two it took some time for someone to clear away our dirty plates, but this is to be expected with a resort this large during the peak season. All the staff was always smiling and friendly and eager to please you. The beach was amazing, alittle rocky in some areas, but no big deal. Great variety of fish too, they come right up to you. My husband and his best friend did some fly fishing right off the beach area. For all you other fisherman out there be ready to catch bonefish,jacks, and other reef fish. The nightly entertainment in the theater was incredible. I would have paid money to see these shows.
Definitely Las Vegas style shows. The Disco was fun too, hit or miss though. We had a ball when the place was packed. Over all this resort is top notch, and I highly recommend it. You can't go wrong staying here. We all loved it so much were planning to return the same time next year. It it a big resort with alot of walking, so if your not into that then this may not be a good choice for you. Our package included transfers to and from the airport and hotel, however we opted to find our own transportation. We used Cancun Valet both ways and they were great! We got to the resort almost two hours before everyone else, and got to stay two hours longer on our departure day. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of February 2004

Amazing

"Amazing Resort. We were here for our honeymoon and loved it. The price was high but well worth it. Food was spectacular and the theme restuarants were great. If you are a couple you may get a room with two beds as they are in short demand of one bedded rooms. Spectacular night shows and it is only 15 pesos to take a bus into town. There is a club onsite which was good, but this is a great resort to relax at."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of February 2004

New Years 2003 was great!!

Good

"My husband and I stayed at the Colonial from Dec. 28-Jan 11 2004. This was the most dazzling resort I had ever seen. The marble lobby was beautiful.Upon arrival everything went very smoothly. We booked our ala cartes as soon as we got there and had no problem picking times.We stayed in Villa 4, the rooms were nice. You don't spend alot of time in rooms anyway so you don't need fancy. It took a day or so to find our way around but it wasn't that difficult. The New Year's Gala was FABULOUS!! I have never seen a seafood spread like this one. Only a few negatives: the pool was toocold and deep. It was also difficult to get a seat at the swim up bar as people seemed to sit there the whole day!!
People weren't as friendly as I expected. They seemed to keep to themselves. The nightlife was non existent until 11:00pm and then the music was just techno, I would have liked a variety. Overall it was a beautiful resort, especially if you just want rest and relaxation. I'd recommend it."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2004

First Time Observations

Good

"My wife and I just spend the week of Jan. 19 in Villa 5 on the Colonial Side. This was our first trip to the Riviera Maya area. Random Observations:USA3000 Flights out of Milwaukee were delayed coming and going. We stayed at a Park and Fly Econolodge next to Mitchell Field, left on a van at 3am. Food was terrible on the flights. Airport check-in delays are yet another issue, but I knew it going in and planned on two hours in line. Bottom line, our arrival date (Saturday) started at 3am in the morning and we did not get into our room and hit the beach until 3:30pm. That's a long, wasted day. The Room...standard room was adequately sized...all marble but not ostentatious. I am not crazy about the all marble floors, having circulatory problems and cold feet. The chairs could have been nicer both in the room and on the patio...cheap plastic "bemis" furniture on the patio. The "pure" drinking tapwater was warm and salty. Mini-Bar could have used less pop, more beer and water. Hint: If you want American Beer, get friendly with one of the white outfitted, white hat security guys. For cost plus a 100p for their effort they will buy some Budweiser in town and hide it in the maids work chambers for you.Restaurants:Buffets were fantastic for the first few days, then the variety and novelty kind of wore off. The Mediterrean was the better restaurant for both service and quality, especially getting one of those island tables out in the koi pond all to ourselves. The Japanese show restaurant was not that "showy", all the menu selections seemed to result in the exact same plates of food for each of the ten at our table...chicken, fish, beef, all indistinguishable and interchangeable.Drinks:Disappointed in the lack of top shelf liquor and Dos Equis monopoly on the beer. Someone told me that Dos Equis had some ownership in the resort. Many of the mixed cocktails seemed watered down and many of the exotic cocktails seemed excessively sugary.Beach and Beach BarBeach was more crowded than I expected during peak mid-day periods. Experienced only one day of very rough surf and wind with excessive coral coming in. Just below lifeguard station and volleyball nets was usually calm and serene.Pools.Enjoyed the adult pool and bar on the Colonial side moreso than the large lagoon pool. Being a red-blooded American male I have absolutely no problem with MOST OF the topless girls and thongs.Entertainment:I have read mixed reviews of this troup, however, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed each night. The costumes and choreography of the dance group was top notch. The young people on the FUN team were enthusiastic and professional. We loved the "Ricky Martin" MC and his presentation. All of the entertainers were approachable and friendly, and very good with the children.Side TripsXCaret Park...took the Apple Tour for 790p each which exchanged at $68 each when posted to our debit card. Enjoyed the river floating, however it was very tiring. It took us about an hour to recover. We actually ran out of time to see everything. Especially enjoyed the Seafood Restaurant overlooking the Sea Turtle lagoon. Left early and did not partake of the evening show, which we now regret, but we were just too tired.Playa del Carmen...took the 20p pp van there and back...did a lot shopping and bargaining and had an unsavory lunch at one of the restaurants adjacent (just north) of the ferry to Cozumel.
It was a cloudy morning so we timed this trip perfectly.Tulum...being more adventurous, we thumbed down the first bus we could find on our last morning and did more shopping in Tulum. Had a wonderful breakfast brunch at a place called SUWUS..great heuvas y jambon and juices. Could not find the Home Improvement store which eveyone raved about...Yel-Cha. Wanted to get back to the beach on our last day.
Picked up a cold 6 pack of Sol Cerveza on the north end of town and sat along the road waiting for a bus drinking our lunch....our best, most relaxing time of the trip.Summary:Will go back and would go back to Palladium again. We regret not organizing a group of friends as it took some time to meet people. We will probably try Iberostar or someplace on Cozumel next time however, because variety is the spice of life. I expected insects and they were never a problem. Disappointing that the orchids were not blooming and I expected more birds. This was a great vacation for us and all of my above comments should not be taken as negatives or show stoppers. Tim and CarolHowards Grove, WI"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of January 2004

colonial great resort

Good

"Just returned from colonial palladium on January14 2004. The resort was beautiful. there was a group of 8 friends that went. We requsted rooms on the ground floor and close to eachother. Both were honored. our rooms were right beside eachothers. We stayed in villa 1 which is the closest to the lobby, but probably the farthest from the pool. We liked the close proximity to the lobby, and just packed a bag of thing we would need for the day when we went to the pool, as not to have to walk back and forth because as others have said it is a very large resort.
Another way we found getting around is by golf cart. Just tip the drivers a buck or two and they will take you anywhere anytime. The pool is beautiful, but deep. The service was exellent, but with some of the waitresses and bartenders there was a slight launguage barrier. They try very hard to make your stay pleasent. Don't expect gourmet food.
This is our third all inclusive, the second in the miyan rivera, and it is pretty equal to the food at the other 5 stars we have stayed at. You can always find something you like, but it isn't fabulous. We ate at three alacatres. The first was the mexican and it was by far the worst.
Everyone in our group had a pretty horrible meal. We then ate at the italian. It was so so , but we would have opted for the buffet if it wasn't for the atmosphere at the sit down resturants.. Our third and favoite was the steak house. It isn't an Alberta steak but it was good non the less. WE are all in our early to mid twenties and found the disco to be a riot. WE went there everynight around 11:00pm and stayed till close at 2:00am. Most nights we weren't ready to call it quits so we went to the beach bar which is open around the clock. This place is hit or miss. Some nights it was packed with people, other night just one or two people. It was fun just the same. I wouldn't go back to this resort because it is always fun to try new ones, but we have no regrets about choosing this one. It is beatiful and there are things to do around the clock. Only been back a week and we are planning on comming back to the miyan riviera next year. We all love that area of Mexico.
Have been to Cuba and puerto platta in dominican, but nothing compares to the culture and atmosphere of the mayan riviera. enjoy!!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2004

Best place ever!

"We just got back from a week at Colonial. This is absolutely one of the best resorts I've ever been. The service is excellent, the rooms are clean and large, the food is delicious and more than enough. There is enough choice for every-one. The employees are absolutely willing to help you and are really willing to make your holiday more than a success!"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of January 2004

Colonial Paladium - definitely above average

Good

"We just got back from a week at the Colonial Paladium - Dec 13 - 20th.
It's not excellent but it is very good. The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. We upgraded to the junior suite so we had a sitting area and were near the beach. I think from the sounds of the highway traffic, the rooms near the road (likely buildings 1 - 4) would likely be very noisy. We slept each night with our patio door open and the screen closed. Listening to the birds and other jungle sounds.

They've done a great job keeping the original jungle intact and creating walkways through it rather than just bulldozing everything flat. It's a real natural feeling everywhere on the property and we didn't find it too "bug-gy" at all.

The beach was very good - somewhat rocky in certain spots but clean and long enough for some good walks in the sand. Lots of typical beach activities - really there is something for everyone here. Although it is a large resort, it is well laid out and nothing ever feels crowded.

The specialty restaurants are very good. The best was the Mexican but hey, it should be, you're in Mexico. The steak house and the Oriental were also quite good, just not excellent.

Hemmingway's bar - smoke free and well stocked with International Brands of liquor. The first night at one of the other bars we asked for a Cognac. We got something that looked somewhat like Cognac but that's where the similarity ended. It could have been strained through someone's old sock. But, at Hemmingway's, for you Cognac lovers, Remy Martin is available. Likewise, beware of the martinis at the other bars - Hemmingways - Beefeater gin! The beer is always cold and the rum drinks are fine everywhere. We loved the fact that glasses were only used at the bars and if you were taking a drink to go they put it in plastic.

Our only beef with the place, and it could just have been the week, was that there were hoards of children - from almost newborn right up to late teens. One of those newborns moved into the room next to us on our third night. Kid screamed all night. We asked to be moved the next day.
We were, and all was fine. We knew this wasn't an adult-only resort but we were surprised by the number of children. We travel at this time every year and have never seen so many. If it's an issue - beware.

Everyone was friendly - staff and guests. We really had a good time. A cautionary note, however, the rules in the buffet dining room seem to change with each shift. Men must wear shirts with sleeves, however, the rule doesn't apply to women. Bathing suits may be worn into the buffet dining room, but must be dry and covered up. Where there seems to be confusion on the part of the staff is in the application of the cover-up rule (was the cover-up too short?).

We've been to the Mayan Riviera before. We rented a car at the airport for the week. A one day rental at the hotel will cost you just about as much as we paid for the week. There are lots of interesting things to see and do - we love Playa del Carmen. 5th Avenue is worth exploring.
Take the time. Sit in a bar or two or three and watch the people go by.
It's worth it."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of December 2003

Paradise

"My family of 3 just returned from the Colonial Palladium on Dec 21 after 2 spectacular weeks. When reading these reviews, you'll notice a recurring theme. This place, with the attention to detail is without a doubt the nicest all inclusive place we've ever seen. From the impeccable marble floor/wall washrooms in the common areas to the staff who do their very best to accomodate to your every whim, this place is tops. I won't ramble on like some other reviewers, just trust me. Nobody goes home unhappy about the quality of this resort unless they have serious nit picking issues. Remember, this place is literally in the middle of the jungle, so nature will have an impact albeit a small one. No need to book those a la carte restaraunts right away like some imply. They always had lots of room in them. Anyway, a buffet that serves giant prawns is okay in my books. I have tips and suggestions if you care to email me. Oh, and also email the resort prior to your departure and they will do their best to get you what you want as in what room, floor etc. Ask me about which is the best building etc."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of December 2003

Outstanding Value

"spent the week of Dec. 6-13 at the Colonial Side. This is a very impressive facility, the grounds are expansive and manicured and kept perfectly. No detail is left untouched. Service is friendly and exceptional at bars, restaurants, front area etc. Rooms very clean. I have traveled extensively for years and a big issue with me is smoke smelly rooms, I was concerned as there are no non-smoking rooms and the visitors are primarily Europeans who are chain smokers. I was concerned about tobacco smell in rooms, however the rooms are so well cleaned that you do not smell any signs of smoking. If you have problems walking a lot, this resort is not for you. The facility is very large and you do a lot of walking. Beach is outstanding, pool area is very large and beautiful. We were unfortunate to have experienced a cold spell for a few days and on a couple of days people were laying out by pool with towels wrapped around them, people were walking around at night with their jackets that they thought would only be in the way. Food is plentiful and good. If you are expecting gourmet dining this in not your place, there is only so much that you can do with buffets. Do to expansive choices, you can find something that you like. I will speak about one negative and that is with the scuba diving facility that is part of the facility. They wanted to charge over $130 per person for a two tank dive, they offered a package for $380 per person which had six dives. Now I am not a tight wad, but I do not like to be ripped off and I feel that this is what the dive operation is doing. They have a captured audience, even though there is a lot of competition around, you have to work to get to it. Because of the lack of competition they can I guess charge what they want and they do, I guess most people do not mind because the boat did go out daily with divers. However I choose to take a taxi or the Collectivo shuttle down to Akumal. We did diving there for less that half ($60 for two tanks) what Palladium charged and prices were typical of the area prices. My wife and I had personal service as we went one day as the only divers and the other days with max of six people. Should anyone want to know the shop, email me and I will advise. Outside of the diving issue, I was very pleased with this facility and would go back without hesitation and would recommend it to anyone. You will encounter exceptional and friendly service and a beautiful facility."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of December 2003

mrs linda walker

"Outstanding from the moment we arrived till we left.We could not complain about anything there were several pools including adult only pools which included Jacuzzi .The accommodation was brilliant the food amazing there was not anything that you would have wanted that was not there we were spoil for choice.There were several restaurants as well as the two buffet restaurants Brazilian Japanese Mexican Italian Steak.The trips were all arranged brilliantly by our rep James.The staff were so friendly they could not do enough for us.The grounds were beautiful and clean for us it was our favorite holiday i can not see how anyone could find fault with anything what an amazing place that we can highly recommend ."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of September 2016

This was our second visit to this fantas...

"This was our second visit to this fantastic resort hotel. We got engaged here in 2004 and returned in 2005 for our honeymoon.

The resort itself is stunning with plenty of wildlife in the grounds. They do allow children but we hardly saw any.

The honeymoon dinner was fantastic as was the beach BBQ. The buffet food is generally high standard and I can really recommend the Japanese restaurant - go for a Teppanyaki display table.

There are plenty of pools to choose from. The massage at the spa was great.

The drinks are all branded and champagne is always available.

Only downside was other non English Europeans being very rude, refusing to 'give way' if you are walking on the walkways. "

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

Hotels near Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Stayed at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

• Walkel by Walkel

"Try all the restaurants and make most of all amenities "

Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa is also called