Fiesta americana timeshare experience

Reviewed Wed 9th of March 2016

" During our vacation to Cancun, Mexico, we were pressured and tricked into signing a contract for a 40 year membership with the Fiesta Americana Vacation Club in 2013. We felt uneasy about the whole process and signed after being pressured for 7 hours by high-pressure tactics. They promised a lot of things but they were empty promises and there were many lies. We tried canceling the contract within the 5 day grace period that companies are forced to give customers, but they claimed we rescinded our right to cancel and they made it impossible to cancel. They even threatened us to take us to court and that our credit score in the US would be affected as they have a billing company in the USA. We felt so stupid for signing and always regretted that day. We were not happy with the membership either.I tried canceling the membership and they claimed there would be a penalty that would be more expensive than the whole membership was worth. This statement was actually true according to their contract. I researched online and found that we were not the only ones tricked and unhappy with these time share/vacation club memberships. It seemed hopeless and we were very frustrated. I was afraid that if I stopped paying, they would take legal action and have a collecting agency come after us and thereby affect our credit score in the USA. Remember, this is a LEGAL contract and it can be enforced in the USA.
I came across Mexican Timeshare Solutions on the web and read the testimonials. I will be honest in that I was very skeptical of this company and in the process. I researched this company numerous times and even confirmed that they had good ratings with the Better Business Bureau. I took a chance and contracted them with the guarantee of no payment until my membership was canceled. Three months later, my membership was cancelled legally and I am now free of this timeshare scam. I was so frustrated that I would be stuck with this membership for 40 years but thanks to Mexican Timeshare Solutions, they came to the rescue.

• Travel date: Mon 7th of March 2016

Great place, except they didn't bother to fix the a/c!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We stayed in Cancun just this past week. Most of it was fine but, the a/c wasn't working all that well. The matinence man did not bother to fix it (How cruel and heartless to make us suffer like that!) Another problem was Jose (the towel nazi). He threatened to charge our family, and he was being mean to me. Again, great hotel, but a few problems!"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2005

Very worried about this place!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"After reading a lot of negative reviews I really was worried about our vacation at Fiesta Americana Cancun. Found out that the very negative reviews were while the RIU Palace next-door was being built and the noise and mess surrounding the resort was aweful. We stayed at the FAC from 3/3/05 through 3/10/05 and had an awesome time. Mind you this is the start of Spring Break for college kids - there were a couple of rooms with spring breakers but only heard them a couple of nights (actually 5:00 am) being rowdie but it certainly could be a lot worse! There really is no night life at the hotel itself so if that's what you're looking for forget is - we have 'been there, done that' so we tend to enjoy walking the beach during the day and do a whole lot of nothing during the evening. We did go to the Fiesta Night and that was fun. We met lots of very nice people and found the people that work at the resort exceptional - pretty much, very few other places have we experience as good of service as at FACancun and we travel approximately 10 times a year to difference destinations. I do have to say, I feel bad for all the bad things being said about the 'pool natzi' his name is Juan and he could not have been sweeter to us and I watched him all week closely to see if he was reusing towels and I did not see him do that. We are planning on going back for Easter next year and staying in one of their 3 bedroom condos with some friends and family. You really need to check-out these condos and they are right on the ocean!
If anyone would like to e-mail me with specific questions, feel free."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of March 2005

EXCELLENT place!

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We were very pleased with this place, and we were surprised at how great it was considering what we paid to stay there.
Our one-bedroom suite was beautiful: top floor, ocean/pool view. It had a big whirlpool tub, full kitchen with stove, fridge, microwave, etc., two TVs, a DVD player, a CD player....
The pool was great. The beach area was small, but very nice. The food was good but overpriced....the breakfast buffett is $16US, but if you buy tickets for at least 3 meals it's only $10US/meal.
There are good (and cheap) places to eat right across the street. La Ruina is really good, and a new one just opened (Cubita Cafe/100% Natural) that is more expensive, but good.
Of course the buses in Cancún are safe and they cost less than a buck to ride, so you can go eat anywhere you want to.
Oh - the posts about the hotel's towel Nazi are correct. This unpleasant little guy folds up dirty towels (if they're dry) and puts them back on the pile. He is very suspicious of everyone and his biggest fear seems to be that people will ask for more towels than the number of people in their room. Also, it doesn't matter if you speak to him in Spanish or English - he is equally crabby to everyone.
The activities director Felix (The Cat's Meow) is awesome. Full of energy and very friendly.
This place is great for families, especially with small kids. We highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of March 2005

Wonderful

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Fiesta for the week of Jan 29th - Feb 5th. We have been to Cancun many times and stayed at this hotel, years ago when it was brand new. It is much better now. To me it is a small jewel among the giants (giagantic RIU is next door). We had everything we could want including a free lauderette on each floor. Location is perfect.The beach is the best in the world. Will definitely return."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of February 2005

Very Nice Relaxing

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Just returned Feb. 19th from 7 nights at Fiesta American Cancun and it was very nice. Rooms are clean and well appointed - loved the whirlpool tub, comfortable beds, kitchen well supplied. Small beach, nice beach side restaurant and lovely spa. Beautiful views from the balcony. Just say no the the timeshare people. Walk across the street for good inexpensive food. Can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of February 2005

Loved It

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My husband and I went to Cancun Feb 5th we had purchased the trip on the internet even though we consider ourselves savvy people we still are a little concerned that we would hate the place. Well we were very pleasantly surprised. The Fiesta Americana Cancun was a very nice place the people were extremely helpful. The condo was very well maintained clean and the location was perfect. I would definetly go there again. The only thing I did not like was the use of the internet. They contracted it out and I think they charged too much and the way it was set up was not good you had to purchase $5.00 dollars worth of time and if you did not use all of the time it was gone anyway. So you had to purchase more each time. Places in town were cheaper to use. But that is a small issue. It was a great place. Sandra & Norman"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of February 2005

Renovations are giving the place new life.

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I know the reviews are all over the place on this one (actually, the "Fiestamericana Vacation Club," at km 8.5, not to be confused with lots of other Fiestamericanas all over Cancun). But the facility itself is actually very nice, and major efforts have been made (are continuing to be made) to replace tired decor with shiny tile flooring in halls and rooms and a fresh spiffy look overall. As Cancun resorts go, this one is decidedly on the small side, though the rooms aren't. The exterior paint is a wacky combination of eastern Mediterranean colors. I thought it was charming; my wife definitely didn't.

I checked in alone, leaving my wife outside in our rental car. Smart move! I was given a necessary "helpful introduction" by my personal "representative" before I was allowed to finish check-in, but I was never bothered again after that one encounter (contrary to what almost all the rest of you have said in your reviews).

Buffet breakfast for $15? Forget it. Even the 3-breakfast package at $10 each is hardly a bargain. Go next door to the minimart, pick up the Cancun edition of the Miami Herald for a buck along with a free cup of coffee, then head across the street for a breakfast that's a whole lot cheaper.

The beach is skinny here but, hey, all the beaches are free. You just walk through the hotel lobbies (though you won't have your own lounge to plop down on). I highly recommend a car rental at the airport for the whole week (around $150 incl. air and automatic). But pay attention to those 40km speed zones in the more congested areas; the police do. And if you drive down to Tulum (which you should), stop at the north end of Akumal on the way back for a fantastic open-air lunch at Lol-Ha and just about the most beautiful beach in the whole region (also with fairly decent snorkeling)."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of February 2005

A little rundown in areas, but still a great place to stay

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"I just returned from 7 days at this resort. It was much nicer than I was expecting based on previous reviews I had read. We were exposed to some construction noise the first few mornings, but it was from the hotel next door and eventually the work finished up. We had a view of the ocean even though our room was on the side of the hotel. The room was very nice and super clean with a microwave, fridge, sink and necessary dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. The pool area was nice and we spent several mornings enjoying the lovely private beach area. Some areas could have used a little work, but the overall appearance was very clean and the staff was very helpful.

I would have to say the worst thing about the stay was Simon, our personal representative who was VERY persistent in trying to get us to come to a 'free' breakfast and listen to the 90-minute time share presentation. We told him we were not interested and he phone our room several times a day. We rarely did anything in the hotel because we were afraid of running into him.

Just across from the hotel was a little cantina called the Blue Cactus. This was the best part of the stay. I think we were there almost everyday. Though the prices were good, some of the food was mediocore (I wouldn't recommend the Bar-B-Qued ribs). The staff there was wonderful and made us feel very much at home. The evenings offered 2 for 1 drinks and was frequented by locals and tourists so there was a nice mix of people to visit and play pool with. If you go, ask for Louis, the manager and tell them Paula said to stop by. They will definitely make you feel welcome there."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of January 2005

No problems at all

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed at the FAC last April for our honeymoon and are going back this March with our kids. I thought it was a charming hotel. It looks so... Mexican next to all of the huge generic looking hotels everywhere. It was a little run down in certain areas for example, the balcony we had was a little scary looking. We sat on it, but it looked like it could use some work.

The room: I loved the room. It was huge (we stayed in a one bedroom). We had a full sized fridge, stove, microwave (which was in spanish so bring a dictionary if you need it. We couldn't even figure out how to make popcorn in it! lol) It had a jacuzzi tub which we used. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the bathroom door. It was like a closet door that has those wooden slats to let air in. Well it sure made it a little less private, but not really a big deal.

The restaraunts: We ate at the breakfast buffet twice. It was very good, but a little expensive. We ate at the Palapa outdoor restaraunt once and it was okay. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either. We usually went out to eat.

The grounds: The grounds were beautiful. The pool was beautiful. The beach and ocean were beautiful. There was never any problems at all getting a place to sit near the pool or on the beach. It was very quiet and relaxing which is just what we wanted. If you want a loud party hotel, this is not it.

The staff: The staff were fine. If you tip the towel guys, they will jump everytime they see you go to the beach and set everything up for you. We tipped them the first day and they did that everytime they saw us afterwards. Bellboys were great too. The timeshare people were a little annoying, but they didn't bother us too much after we agreed to go to the presentation. We didn't buy a timeshare and they weren't too pushy.

All in all, it was a nice hotel. I will go back again, but will not be loyal forever. I want to visit other hotel in the are too!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of December 2004

Great place, if you like mold, smells, and poor service!

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My wife and I are HGVC members, and are used to higher quality resorts. Somehow, this disgrace of a property, filled with employees who make false promises, and rooms that wreak of mold and fungus.

We got a 2 bedroom, and even though the resort was only at 40-50% occupany, the sleeze Miguel at the front desk said he couldn't give us an oceanview unless we made "arrangements" - (he wanted $$). I was (---). 5000 points for a 2 bedroom for a week at this horrible place, and he wanted to line his pocket. BS....

The only person at this resort worthy of anything was Felix... alway happy - and made you feel better about all the other BS the hotel put on. The AC in the room barely worked, and good luck with the drains. Call my crazy, but when taking a shower, standing in a foot of water just doesn't do much for me.

We will never stay at this place again... and will be sending in complaints to both Fiesta Americana (they should know how horrible this place is), and to HGVC... there is no way this should be considered Gold Crown/5 Star.... 3 star at best.

Complaints to "management" were unanswered. Everytime you went to the front desk or called and asked for a manager on duty - the answer was always "they are not available - what can i help you with." Then they would listen, and politely ignore you.

Oh - another warning - watch out for the towel nazi... the crazy old man with the high pitched voice. We had a 2 bedroom - 2 connecting rooms. When we gave the room # for the towels, and said 4 - he goes "only 2 towels, 2 people" We had 4 people. Oh well, maybe it was just a language barrier... but it get's better. When you returned a towel that you just used for 4-5 hours, and it wasn't wet.... he just refolded it and put in on his "clean" pile - gave it to someone else .... it was sick and unsanitary. (BTW - the front desk was notified this on Tuesday of our stay - on Thursday - the towel nazi was still giving out sweaty used towels). Absolutely sick.

STEER CLEAR!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of December 2004

Hotels near Fiesta Americana Cancun Villas

Top traveller tips for Fiesta Americana Cancun Villas

• Doug A by Doug A

"avoid timeshare presentations "

Fiesta Americana Cancun Villas is also called