About Excellence Riviera Cancun

• butler service
  • lazy river
  • adult pool

Good

Marvelous hotel , fantastic holiday , ruined by Thomas Cook !

Reviewed Wed 24th of June 2015

"This is an outstanding hotel . We were there for 2 weeks in May 2015 . The standard of food , drink and service is exceptional , the staff could not be any more helpful or friendly . The room was beautiful with a big Jacuzzi in the middle of the room and a lovely wet room with shower plus a fully stocked fridge with juice , beers and sweets , and a cupboard full of spirits . Booking 1 of the 11 restaurants could not be easier and was truly 5 star A La Cart .
The whole fantastic experience was let down by Thomas Cook failing to pick us up for the airport return . The hotel concierge ordered us a taxi which cost us $90 cash . On arrival at the airport , the boarding gate had closed , but we were lucky to speak to an airport official who rushed us through a different gate and we made the flight with seconds to spare. As we are both in our late fifties we were totally stressed and exhausted due to our situation .I complained to Thomas Cook when we arrived home as we had not received an apology or explanation from them , we were offered a £60 travel voucher , take it , or leave it ! No more Thomas Cook for us , they don't give a damn ."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of June 2015

Mexico winter break

Reviewed Mon 3rd of February 2014

"Traveled 14-28th January 2014, .the hotel or "resort" is an adults only and is all inclusive. You can further upgrade from a junior suite to swim up suites; beach fronts or the "excellence club" which has its own dedicated pool, concierge and beach area.

Check in - took a whole due to other arrivals..... no cool towel as advertised but plenty of fizzy water or soft drinks to get you in the holiday mood. we had requested twin beds but a room wasn't available foe a further hour and a half so we took what was offered due to fatigued following an 11 hour flight!... didn't need to worry the bed was huge and comfortable! Check out took ages in a queue even though we had nothing on our account but had to ensure our credit card link was cleared...... more front desk staff needed! the bell boys were excellent and contacted us the night before to ask us to contact them when we were leaving for them to collect our cases,

Room - we stayed in a junior suite in block 7. there was a damp smell or arrival that went once the windows were opened.... the weather had been quite cool previous to our arrival and it had rained a lot... the atmosphere quite humid and we found some of our clothes to feel damp for the first days until the weather improved!. Central for all the facilities but could be noisy early evening when the groups were playing or the theaters show was on - usually till about 11:00 when it went quieter.

The room had its own safe with space for lap top etc and its own mini bar and named brand spirits including named vodka, rum and tequila and red wine. We didn't use any of the spirits as we had had plenty of "all inclusive" at all the bars and restaurants!

TV in each room but the main channel we watched was BBC world news. no other UK programs ; plenty of Mexican and USA programs as most of the clientele come from North America.

Large spa pool in the bedroom and double separate shower room; double wash basin and separate bathroom with its own phone! (Why?.. do people order room service on the toilet?)
plenty of wardrobe space and sofa and coffee table, desk to use if you intend to take a laptop. Balcony with on chair and built in seat, ours overlooked the pool with a very partial sea view if you hung over the balcony.

some of the light bulbs didn't work but we couldn't be bothered to inform staff. Room was kept clean by a daily maid service. however, she often didn't arrive till late afternoon, despite us always leaving the card in the door when we left each morning! and them we would feel embarrassed sitting out on the balcony until she had finished. Most nights the staff returned to turn down the beds, leave the side lights on and put the TV back on with the excellence hotel advert! chocolate were left with a copy of the following days entertainment itinerary and a different voucher fro money of spa treatments.

Food: we have stayed at 2 other all inclusive in Egypt and Cape Verde but the standard of food here was much better. Whilst in resort we did over hear an north American complain of "no hot dogs" but this isn't that type of resort.

The breakfast buffet in the Barcelona is wonderful and on the most the service is good..... especially if you arrive earlier before a lot of the noisier north American patrons appear. Each day you have to check in and they take your room number and are escorted to a table by a member of staff, seated at your chair and napkin placed on your lap. A lovely touch for the first few visits but by the end of the holidays It did irritate me slightly, especially as there was often a queue to get into the Barcelona for breakfast later on!

The choice of fresh fruits, fresh juices and hot and cold food was excellent and the standard maintained throughout our 14 night stay. MY only fault was the quality of the tea - but i would request and additional tea bag and after a few requests our regular waiter knew my requirements. We would like to make reference to Reyes and Geronimo T whose service was personal and friendly and professional without being overly intimate.

WE ate at all the restaurants - no reservations were required but if there was a wait we were supplied with a pager and went for a cocktail until contacted. all the restaurants served excellence food, though eat menu was limited to its traditional theme. The best meal was had in Chez Isabelle. We also found ourselves eating later and later s the holiday progressed due to the all inclusive ethos, having had plenty of drinks and snack all day. Indian food - Bismati was good but not as good as some Indian restaurants that i eat at in the UK; the agave Mexican was consistently good, but as the weather was quite cool at night, it was sometimes chilly sitting outdoors in the court yard. the Toscana - Italian was good but could get busy, we had pizza/Italian in their courtyard at lunch time overlooking the beach and ocean and service was always good and relaxed. The spice - Japanese eastern fusion meal was lovely but spoil by several groups of North Americans - young and old . so loud that we couldn't hear the waiter or vice versa. the manager requested if we had enjoyed our meal as we informed yes except for the noise - that wasn't in keeping with the usually "Zen like" relaxed and peaceful atmosphere of Japanese restaurants i have eaten in before. He was apologetic and informed me that the other patrons had also complained and the groups had been asked to reduce the amount of shouting but to no avail! At lunch we did eat at the lobster pot but mostly at the grill overlooking the pool and beach and ocean where we had wonderful service from Reyes and Toms and more than an adequate size lunchtime snack.

MY only fault is a lack of SOUP SPOONS!.... a know its a small thing, but it is difficult lifting hot liquids from plate to mouth from a shallow desert spoon.... Come Excellence hotels..... you do rate yourselves as 5 star resort!

We had room service on morning before we went out all day on a trip. We ordered the night before and spot on with timing was the knock on the door with exactly what we had ordered...... wonderful service!

Facilities: the spa treatment was excellent i had a full body wrap treatment and massage following a spa treatment - sauna, jacuzzi showering etc.. tho it was expensive. I had my nails painted by the resident beautician but had to wait over 30 minutes.... she got my name wrong, was quite surly as I brought my own nail color - not that I was charged less for the service and continued to speak Spanish to her colleague ... spoiling what should have been a lovely pampering experience!

the pools are all cleaned some are warmer than others and some have linked jacuzzi s these again varied in temperature. the main pool by the beach had a swim up bar but tended to be over crowded and full of alcohol fueled young North Americans on long week end breaks!

the beach has lovely sand ... yes there is sea weed from the nearby reef and this is collected at least twice a day!.... the sea water was quite murky due to the windy weather making the waves stronger! as the weather improved it did clear slightly!

equip t for sea sports are available if prior booked and is limited in numbers and also reliant on the weather!

the bars were always clean and tidy and the staff worked very hard to placate impatient North American patrons and continued to smile! we have no complaints!.... the theater shows start at 9.00 pm but we missed many of them as we preferred to eat later. also, as the weather was cold some nights it wasn't conducive to sitting outside without a jacket (that I hadn't brought with me!)...but people who watched the shows all expressed satisfaction with the quality of the entrainment. Various bands played in various locations throughout the site all day keeping people sat around the bars etc. we never got around to getting to the night club so we are unable to comment about it.

What we didn't like: Around weekends the hotel tended to get an influx of younger North Americans on long weekends - i enjoy watching people enjoying themselves but the amount of alcohol often fueled unacceptable behavior e.g. interfering with theater shows, shouting and verbal abuse which we ourselves were subjected too,.. However after i had words with one young man who called us a pair of "Manchester Wankers" he soon quietened. It would be nicer if there was a little more viability from security staff in the evening and maybe a few notices placed about verbal abuse and behavior not being acceptable. As it was many of the bar staff had to endure insults from a minority of guests!

What we liked: the consistency standard and quality of service from he staff. All the employees from the cleaners to the gardeners and bar and waiters was exemplary! well done the excellence.... the quality of food and alcohol was good as they used known branded drinks.... please do not change this!.
.... the beach was well maintained... but more sunbeds and umbrellas especially were needed on the beach and round the main beach pool!

would we recommend to others: YES..... would we return... yes but maybe go to the excellence to compare.

• Travel date: Sat 1st of February 2014

Terrible house keeping!

Reviewed Thu 16th of August 2012

"I was so appalled to see our rooms. We had to switch three times in two days! Not what you expect from such a 'high class resort'. The rooms were dirty - the sheets uncleaned, the bathrooms filthy - bugs in the sink!

Spend your money elsewhere! "

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2012

Paradise

Reviewed Mon 4th of October 2010

"Excellence Riviera is truely breathtaking. Where do you begin when everything was so perfect. Firstly the hotel, It was extravagant to say the least, also amazingly clean with staff that couldn't do enough for you. We tried to tip often in small amounts (20 pesos for rounds of drinks and 50 pesos for dinner). None of the staff treated us any better because of this and that is a credit to them. The food was out of this world and had such huge variety that was always fresh and tasty. The presentation was immaculate.

We were on honeymoon and stayed at the hotel for most of our 12 days. We did go on a few excursions which i would highly recommend. Firstly Xcaret, what an amazing place with so much to do and see (snorkelling through underground caves, swimming with dolphins etc...) The second was a jungle tour where we drove our own speed boat through the mangroves to a large reef where we did some snorkelling. All the staff remained so helpful and we felt completely safe all the time.

There was plenty to see and do at the hotel as well with some amazing shows brought in for the evening entertainment.

This is such an amazing place to go for any honeymoon, romantic getaway etc...... One slight downside (which is nothing bad against the resort) was the influx of young American guys (unusual place to go as a group of guys !!!!!!) that seemed to live up to every steroetype you see on teen flicks/American football teams (loud and loved jumping against eachother shouting 'YEAH') Didn't make out holiday any less enjoyable but we knew many other people there who found them equally annoying.

Highly recommend this holiday and we will be going again one day.

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of October 2010

Don't go here!

Reviewed Wed 29th of July 2009

"I spent 2 weeks here with my partner, 4 days in and I ended up in hospital. We had spent Valentines Day by the pool; I had collapsed at the pool side and was taken to the on-site doctor. I was then taken to a local hospital where it was establish I had amphetamines and alcohol in my system. I was advised by the on site doctor while management were present the following day, that I had been admitted due to alcohol. After I advised I was going to have the hospital documents translated and reviewed, I was then advised by the doctor that amphetamines were in my blood, and these could have been here from anything and from anytime (which I have since found out from a medical professional in the UK, is not true).
I cannot hold anyone responsible and luckily my travel insurance company covered the full cost of medical bills (which they would not have done had it have just been alcohol)! But there are too many coincidences, including only eating and drinking at the hotel for the previous 4 days and also our property that was at the poolside through this ordeal went missing and we did not get it back until 10 days later, after we had to file a theft report at the local police station (which took 3 attempts with hotel staff to organize). After this ordeal I was not happy to drink drinks at the resort, as you can probably understand – we spent day after day at the reception trying to speak to management and organize correspondence to go to the insurance company, we have fought and fought to receive some form of compensation, but nothing.
You’ll notice if you look at reviews from the time we went, there is odd behavior reported – money going missing from people’s safes, etc. Also to add, my partner woke up the day after this ordeal not having any recollection of the day before and woke up to the safe wide open, luckily with nothing missing. I was advised by staff that my partner also passed out and was taken back to our room where he stayed, until I returned, he was apparently left under supervision of staff, I can categorically state that when I returned from hospital no one was with him, so I’m glad that he was ok.

Overall I would suggest staying clear - but if it's of any help the police and hospital staff were fantastic! "

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

first class

Reviewed Sun 1st of March 2009

"this hotel was absolutely wonderful from start to finish. we had a swim up suite and it was worth the extra charge. staff were wonderful- always smiling and happy to help. food and restaurants were fabulous. couldn't fault anything. wondering how we're going to top it this year!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of February 2009

Loved it!!!!

Reviewed Mon 2nd of February 2009

"I just spent my honeymoon in this wonderful hotel and I have to say, it's the best vacation I´ve ever had. The hotel is wonderful, rooms are comfortable, the food was great, staff was helpful and caring and the location is amazing! I totally recommend it for any kind of getaway!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2009

Fantastic Holiday at the Excellence

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 2009

"Great hotel: the staff were all very friendly and helpful and the room was very comfortable. Food was great - especially breakfast ! Best thing was being able to float around all day in the swimming pool - although some people hogged their floats all day. There are loads of restaurants and no advance table reservations are needed -the food was excellent. Great for honeymooners and couples.
There were plenty of activities and trips - the best one being to the aquatic park at Xelha. We also went on a 'moonlight dinner cruise' on Cancun bay - but it was nothing to write home about.

We had a problem with the so-called 'Premier' seating on the Thomsonfly flights: they have been extremely slow in dealing with our complaint. I would not recommend Thomsonfly.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of December 2008

This was a fantastic hotel. The accommo...

Reviewed Tue 30th of September 2008

"This was a fantastic hotel. The accommodation was excellent and the staff were friendly. The only "negative" comment we could make is that the breakfast would be considered repetitive, but only because you have the same massive choice every day! We would definitely visit again.

We would recommend the Spice restaurant, but they are all good. It is worth taking advantage of their theme nights as well; they make even more effort."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

This hotel leaves nothing to be desired...

Reviewed Mon 22nd of September 2008

"This hotel leaves nothing to be desired it is what it says on the tin 5 star.
Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the effort put in by them is truly unbelievable.
Rooms are first class with the added luxury of a jacuzzi the lazy river is super fun and the spa cannot be beaten.
All in all a memorable holiday with no complaints which for someone as discerning as myself is unusual."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of September 2008

My husband and I have just returned form...

Reviewed Sun 6th of July 2008

"My husband and I have just returned form our honeymoon at Excellence riveria cancun and oh my goodness! well what can we stay - fantastic, luxurious, excellent - they simply don't do this resort justice! its the best place we have ever stayed. the staff are all lovely, very polite and helpful. the rooms are beautiful with your every whim catered for - it actually is tempting not to sit in every evening and order from the best room service menu i've ever seen. all the restaurants and bars are great - standard of food was excellent! I can honestly say it was very hard coming home! but hopefully we'll be back to celebrate an anniversary sometime in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of July 2008

This hotel truly lived up to its name. W...

Reviewed Fri 5th of October 2007

"This hotel truly lived up to its name. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and a cool towel and the attention to detail just got better.

We booked a swim up room with its own garden however I'm not sure if this was worth the extra as block 5 didn't get a lot of sun so we didn't utilise it as much as we would have liked.

The rooms are split level with a 4 poster bed and an indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi. Block 1,2 and 3 good for those seeking a quiet area and good for sunbathing if you like peace and quiet (next to the gorgeous spa).

For those who like to take part in activities, the main pool is more suitable.

Having travelled the world, the food was amongst the best we've had and I would find it hard to believe that all tastes weren't catered for. With 10 bars and eight a la carte restaurants we were spoilt for choice. The best was Chez Isabelle (French) serving for example French onion soup, pate, Portobello mushrooms, chateaubriand, crème brulee (all superb) and unlike other all inclusive hotels you can go anywhere without reservations.

All good brands of alcohol and no skimping. The staff were polite and efficient and you are genuinely made to feel very welcome and comfortable. Around half an hour from both Cancun and Playa del Carmen but plenty to occupy you at the hotel.

The grounds were beautiful and there were no early morning rises to secure a sunbed and no queuing for towels.

Whilst we weren't in a hurry to return to the same resort so soon, Excellence Riviera Maya could have changed all that."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

Hotels near Excellence Riviera Cancun

Top traveller tips for Excellence Riviera Cancun

• anitali by anitali

"It has everything you may need, great restaurants, beaches, people, etc... "

• anitali by anitali

"diving in mayan cenotes "

• Robiniho3 by Robiniho3

"Amazing honeymoon/romantic getaway "

• shanderson by shanderson

"lots of places to see-would recommend the speedboat/snorkelling tour, its breathtaking. "

• shanderson by shanderson

"the mexican and asian restaurants are great. "

• gem33 by gem33

"cancun is noce, just don't stay at this hotel "

• johnmcadam by johnmcadam

"French restaurant at the hotel and Xelha aquatic park - do the Sea Trek ! "

• marybamber by marybamber

"rooms in blocks 6 and 7 "

Excellence Riviera Cancun is also called