Good
Good
1921

Best Holiday Ever!

Reviewed 13th November 2008

"The Oasis Viva Beach is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. It's a lovely hotel, there might be posher ones in mexico, but this one definatly gives you the best experience. There's 5 restaurants there; a sushi bar, a seafood restaurant, an italians, a mexican restaurant and a huge buffet. All the food there was nice, except maybe the seafood, which was still ok... and the food's one of the most important things for me on holiday. There's also a snack bar which does burgers, chips, hotdogs and nachos, which are the best I've ever tasted! Then between 12 and 6am they have snacks out on the bar like sandwiches, pastries and fruit... fresh orange juice and water, so you can have a snack when you come in from clubbing, or when you wake up at 5am from jet lag like we did our first day. There's lots of entertainment during the day. They do a different activity every hour, like play volleyball, water arobics, bingo, quizzes and some other crazy game like see how far you can kick your flipflop! It's so much fun and you can win prizes, like a 'very expensive senor frogs cup'. The entertainment staff are great, funny and were so much fun. There were a few evening shows on every other night at 9pm, which got really busy, but we missed all of them because we took too long to get ready. Every night the hotel went to a different nightclub, usually on the best day to go there. If you booked through the hotel, the entertainment staff would take you in a taxi there, sit you at a table and a waiter would bring you drinks all night. Most nights the hotels entertainment staff stayed out late and they were a lot of fun. The hotel is only 5-10 minutes walk away from all the clubs too, if you wanted to go yourself. There are also buses that come right outside the hotel that go all the way along Cancun and are really easy to get. The fair works out at about 35p. The hotel was lovely, it was nice and clean our rooms got cleaned every day. There are hairdryers in the rooms, and you get a clean beach towel every day. The sun loungers around the pools are so comfortable there's a soft mat on all of them. There's 2 swimming pools, 2 private jakuzzi's (that are supposed to be for the people in the grand bit, but we went in them anyway. You step out of the hotel door and you are literally right on the beach., and you can walk out into the sea for about a mile before it gets deep. All of the staff are really friendly, in fact I didn't meet 1 unfriendly mexican. There's a great atmosphere at the hotel, and most of the staff speak really good English. If anyone has any questions just email me: [email protected]"

• Travel date: 12th November 2008

Hotel is in a great location. We stayed...

Reviewed 23rd June 2008

"Hotel is in a great location. We stayed at the Oasis Viva section (not the Grand which is now open) but were happy with our room. Our room had two double beds, tv, hairdryer and air con which kept room nice and cool. We didn't have a balcony but were on floor 6 and had a great sea view. Maid service is every day and they do a great job and you get fresh towels every day. Food - Buffet was good but you do get a bit fed up of it after 2 weeks so we ate out a few nights Dos Lunas was really nice and we ate there twice Sushi Bar was fab and great for lunch or a snack in the afternoon. Staff were friendly and although they speak Spanish they understood us okay mostly. No complaints here at all. The hotel is clean, they clean the lobby and lifts constantly throughout the day. The entertainment isn't great at night but the lobby bar is okay for a few drinks and they did have a few shows on but we missed them. Special mention to Isis on the lobby bar at night who does table service and was really nice and her service was great...Thanks! Pools are really busy but beach is great. The water has a few rocks going in but once you get past them the water is great, its hot and shallow so you can lie down out there. Wonderful. You also get fresh towels with a card for the pool or beach on the beach every day which we liked. Overall great location, great beach, clean and friendly staff and the food is okay so we really enjoyed our stay "

• Travel date: 23rd June 2008

I would recommend this hotel to everyone...

Reviewed 10th August 2007

"I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It has the best location, only 5-10 mins walk to all the bars and clubs. Outside the hotel is a bus stop where you can jump on the little buses and they will take you all along the Cancun strip to the markets and shopping centres. The rooms overlook the beach which was amazing, waking up to the sound of the waves. The pool was great as was the food buffet. I was so pleased I booked this hotel, we couldn’t have asked for a better place."

• Travel date: 10th August 2007

Ok but thieves

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"The Hotel is OK, this is an old hotel but the beach is beautiful, great view. The bad experience that we have is that my regular camera and my digital camera were stolen by the personal that helped us to carry the luggage from the room to the lobby at check out time. You need to very careful to carry with you your valuable things like cameras. My wife has been calling the manager to report this problem and see if we can recover these items, but no answer. Im very upset with the whole situation because we lost all the digital pictures that we took on our trip."

• Travel date: 6th April 2004

The Oasis Viva was great

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"I am a travel agent my husband and I stayed at the Oasis Viva 3/12/04 -3/16/04 and we had a great time. We were on the 8th floor and yes we had water pressure issues, but no big deal. Don't let all of the negative feed back scare you away. Some people are just never satisfied. I am a pretty picky person but. it is Mexico not America. If you are a budgeted family this hotel was great. Every one seems to be focusing on the negative, yes we had bad water pressure, but i know if asked they would have moved us to a lower floor it seemed those that were located on floor 5 or lower had no water problems at all i asked other guest to get an idea if it was the hotel in general. Our fridge did not work, and we did not have a coffee maker but we didnt care we didnt need them, and yes the resturants were only open at certin times, so what so is everthing else and if they booked it threw a travel agent they would have know that before they left to go on vacation. The rest of the time was awsome the beach was nice and big with lots of shade and sun they had a gazebo set up so you could get a massage by the water yes of course it cost money everything does. there were 3 bars 1 inside and 2 out side, there was scuba diving lessons you got one lesson in the pool which is standard for most resorts. And there were water sports to the right of the bar behind the pool. We did not have and All Inclusive so we ate breadfast in the resteraunt the first day and that was it. the food was ok This hotel is a 3 start hotel. In mexico a 3 star hotel or lower is not going to be a 4 star hotel it is exactly what it says 3***. Every room had a ocean view and it was a great view with a balcony. beautiful beach and view. over booked hotels happen all the time from a 1-6*. its mexico they never want to turn anyone away,if it happens they will reacommidate you and usually it is an upgrade. I think if it is your first time to mexico you should not get the All inclusive unless you have kids,when you get the all inclusive you tend to stay at the resort and dont get out and explore, please email me with any questions."

• Travel date: 18th March 2004

We renamed it "Oasis Muerta"

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"Things were sour right from the get-go! I'll just start by telling you that we were 6 women in two rooms. We arrived at the hotel at around 9:30. It took the clerk 1 hour to check us in!! We couldn't understand what the problem was. We ask to be beside each other, and we ended up at opposite sides of the hotel. Then surprisingly he wanted $100 deposit from each of us which was ubserd!! The service at this hotel was horrible. The workers were not friendly at all!!! The shower ran hot and cold constantly! Imagine 3 women sharing a room and the showers took longer than they had to? After learning that another room was robbed of $1000, we started testing the maids. And they failed every time. They went through our belongings, propably in search for money or any type of valubles. So we decided to put up the "Do not disturb" sign on the door for the last two days fearing that they would try to steal something. The food was absolutely horrible for every meal. There was always some type of mystery item and not enough selection. Everything was a mess. And their communication skills were very limited. They misunderstood everything we asked them. Almost every night i had to go down to the linen room to get my own towel because they took so bloody long. The beach was O.K. I guess except for the loads of seeweed that washed up to shore and the scent was unpleasant. For 2 of the 7 days that we were there, we went to Oasis Playa which had a wonderful service and a much more interesting beach with huge waves. It was great! We stayed there for "Asian dinner night" and the food was great!! I could go on and on about all the problems that we endured. STAY AWAY FROM OASIS VIVA!!!!! Unless you want to have a horrible holiday!!"

• Travel date: 14th March 2004

Disappointed

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Calinda Viva now known as Oasis Viva. Location is close to shopping, clubs and restaurants within walking distance or by local bus. Rooms face ocean, some balconies. Rooms are good size, small table, 2 chairs, good airconditioning, inroom safe at $3.50 US daily. Showers questionable, very hot/cold water water changes during shower. Food was not great!!! Buffet was minimal, repetitive, and unappealing. Omelettes made with your choice of ingredients were ok. Make own toast on a 4 slice toaster that only 2 slots worked. Only bacon seen in 14 days was wrapped around a hotdog. Can order burgers/hot dogs/nachos if dont like buffet - which were good, however, request salsa with your nachos - you may get it or not. If say no, try another waiter to get it. Fish overall was very good. Try the Italian Restaurant for a change - pasta was very very good. Pizza tasted OK but crust was like a soft taco shell. Restaurant waiters inconsistant, some good/some bad. Staff not very friendly. Beach area is Ok (except for the noisy construction going on next door that just started), lots of palapas and chairs. Water very shallow, very calm (no waves), small rocks that hurt feet. Swimming pool only 3 feet deep. Overall the hotel was clean, grounds well kept, but a boring hotel with no activities and no entertainment. If you want a very very quiet time then OK for you but food still questionable. There were few spring breakers - too boring for them I guess. Even though all inclusive armband - had to sign for all food and drinks. Only 1 beach bar and 1 lobby bar which are not open at same time. So if it rains, like it did for us a few days, you have to go in the rain to the beach bar to get a drink. Room service was good although sometimes very late. Bottom line - I will not be back regardless of bargain prices offered!!!"

• Travel date: 13th March 2004

Please beware

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"My girlfiend and I stayed at the Oasis series hotels in Cancun. Stay at one play at all, "all inclusive". We stayed at the Oasis Viva formally the Calenda Viva hotel. This hotel was taken over by Oasis within the last 6 months or so and I believe they have probably made to improvements other than to increase the prices they charge. This was suppose to be a 4 star I believe...doesn't matter what they rate it!* Flight left Toronto at 6:30AM on Feb. 1/04 after arriving at the hotel (Oasis Viva) had to wait around until aprox. 3PM to be checked in to a room...this doesn't make sense as check-outs are all before noon. R. Alleyne * 5:30PM the same day attempted to take a shower and was greeted with serious watter pressure issues resulting in water temperature fluctuating from ice cold to almost scalding. * Called for service and a maintenance person arrived and then proceded ...no tools in hand ...to fix the problem by balancing the hot to cold ratio by turning the hot cold nobs (why didn't I think of that). * after approx. 45 minutes the maintenance person told me that the problem was fixed *by the time I walked from the balcony of the hotel room to the bathroom (roughly 30 seconds) the problem had magically reappeared * I asked to speak to a manager, and was contacted by the desk manager, who had been radioed by the maintenance person when he "thought" the problem was fixed with an all clear * This manager told me there was no problem * I explained that the problem still existed and asked to speak to the hotel manager * The hotel manager Allan, (from England) called and before I could explain the problem, told me that there was no problem. I suggested to him that water pressure problems are not usually suite/room specific, however if it was then I would like another room as this accomodation was unacceptable. * I told Allan that I didn't appreciate him telling me that there was no problem when he had not even been to the room to investigate it. * I was told that he, Allan, doesn't normally see customers. * I suggested to Allan that if he could not come up to the room I would come down to the lobby to speak with him instead....Allan was then available to come to the room. * Once in the room Allan admitted, as the problem hadn't changed, that there was a problem in the whole hotel * I asked to be moved to one of thier other 3 Oasis hotels, Allan quite friendly now said he would try to accomodate us at the Oasis Cancun, the Oasis 5 star that I tried to book in the first place. * Allan would go book us in and get back to me with the details * Allan got back to me to say that he had confirmed us for 3 days at the Oasis Cancun, however he was awaiting confirmation of the additional 3 days ( this was day one of seven) * Day one ended with Allan telling me that rather than moving us around that night as it was getting late, we would be moved the following day * Day 2, Feb 2/04 - Finally got a hold of Allan around noon, when he informed me that everything was set, shook my hand and again appologized for the inconvienence as he was still awaiting confirmation on the "additional" 3 days, however he expected to have that within the hour ...please hang out and he will come and find us. This was roughly noon. * ...6PM no Allan, no arrangements, no messages left... I went to the customer relations clerk to have Allan found. * I was told that Allan was out of the hotel but would be returning around 7PM... I asked to be in contact with Allan, and was told to wait by the lobby phones as he would be calling * Roughly 10 minutes later Allan called me and informed me that nothing could be done...surely this meant that I would be spending the next 3 days at the Oasis Cancun location, bringing me to day 5 of 7, and then moving to one of their other hotels....not so. * I was informed that "reservations" had given away the three days he(an Oasis hotel manager) had allready confirmed and booked, and everyting else at all of their hotels was booked solid * no attempts at compensation were made by the manager Allan, or Oasis hotels * Inconsistant policies - some days you couldn't be in the dining room/cafeteria without sleeves if you were male other days or wait 5 minutes and it may have been fine....hmmm sleeves required at an all inclusive cafeteria in a hot country...ok. * Stay at one play at all - how this works is you get passes to go to Oasis's other hotels and use their facilities; passes are good for the day. * What they do not tell you is that not all services ie. some of the on-site bars and resturants are not available to you if you are not staying at the particular hotel. This was the case first hand at the Oasis Cancun. * Staff seeing the colour of wrist band you are wearing are quick to ignore your but enentually point out that they can't serve you and refer you to the selected food and drink areas that your "stay at one, play at all" (all inclusive package)entitle you to at their Oasis location. * Stay at one play at all - so you have your pass for the day and you're off to check out the Oasis series hotels: If you are planning to visit more than one of their hotels in the same day, get all of your passes before you leave your home hotel... * having aquired a pass from the Oasis Viva customer rep. We boarded a city bus, no there is no shuttle service, you have to find your way to the other hotels to "play"...we went to the Oasis Beach hotel... after about an hour 1/2 on the beach, we decided to go check out one of their other hotels, but wait... even though the customer reps. look the same at all the hotels, they will not issue you a pass from one of the Oasis hotels you are visiting in order to go to visit yet another Oasis hotel. You must return to your booked hotel to get a new pass. In this case that means another 20-30 minute trip back to the original hotel, in order to get a pass to go 20-30 minutes further from where we were so lets say roughly an hour 1/2 trip from your hotel, using transit, when you were already half way. * Food - food at the Oasis Viva, hey its your body. * Food at the Oasis Cancun was acceptable if you could get service or service without an attitude, don't forget this means taking the bus for 1/2 hour to get there...best bet, eat out ...and yes that can get expensive when you've paid for an all inclusive. * Did I mention the construction site next to the Oasis Viva * The room came with two phones, one between the beds and one in the bathroom that had the phone cord cleanly cut...hmmm. * This was not the worse story, during our stay we continued to hear more horror stories including a retired couple who paid for 5 star plus and got shuffled from Oasis hell to Oasis hell, to an 18 year old girl we met while waiting in line at the airport to return to Toronto, whom they refused to accomodate by moving her to the hotel Oasis Cancun, where all her friends she was vacationing with were staying, but making her feel better by not allowing her to have visitiors and asking a visitor/friend of hers, who lives in Mexico to leave the hotel grounds at the Oasis Beach hotel. ...thats all I have to say about that."

• Travel date: 4th March 2004

perfect getaway

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"My stay at the calinda was more than I had expected, its not plush, nor 5 star, but its not billed as such, it is 4 star, and lives up to that reputation. The beach is fantastic, the bay area is protected from the winds making the waters calm , shallow up to neck deep for some distance before deep water making it relaxing and fun. Beach is luxury as I see it, hotel moderate and comfortable, dining, I would enjoy the abundance of places to dine thru out the day and evening rather than the hotel, staff, more than helpful yet not intrusive. best features, coffee in the room every morning, the beach and bay, service and local, everything hubs from this hotel. Yes, I will return for another stay."

• Travel date: 4th March 2004

Average with good beach.

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"Stayed at the Oasis (Calinda) Viva from Feb 21 to Feb 26. The beach is very nice and the food decent. The hotel is no frills and the staff average. No complaints but nothing to write home about."

• Travel date: 29th February 2004

Pretty average trip

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Calinda Viva because it seemed like a good buy for an average hotel. The lobby was clean and beautiful. Our room had a balcony with a nice beach view. The water in the room always came out warm and the room smelled like mildew. None of our clothes every got dry unless you put them outside on the balcony.The hotel is in a good location away from the crazy nightlife. The beach area was great however tons of cats' like to roam on the property. The bus runs right in front of the property all day which was very convenient. Plenty of tours to go on. Exchanging money was always done hassle free at the front desk. There were always enough towels to go round. Beware of the store clerks that always hound you to buy stuff. That is the one turn down about Cancun. You are always harrassed to take a taxi or to buy something. Overall was an average trip but will not return."

• Travel date: 16th February 2004

dissapointed with Oasis

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Calinda now known as oasis Viva is not a bad hotel if your idea of a holiday is a quiete one and you enjoy going to bed early, before booking this trip i looked up many descriptions none of which are true, "unlimited drinks" yes that is true till 12 and not a second later, the bars are very incomvinently located .Also, shopping across the street, maybe, but not anymore. The only good thing about this hotel was the beach was quiete and not as much wind or waves, other then that i did not find that any of the staff went out of the way to help you and some were VERY rude his name is Oscar and he is a miserable person.I went to the hotel on January 31st, 2004. and i will not return to that hotel, the only positive thing about the hotel is that is walking distance to many of the big clubs in cancun, and you get a chance to go to the other oasis hotels. if you are looking to go somewere with any sort of entertainment this hotel is not right one for you to stay if you have any questions you can email me at [email protected]"

• Travel date: 9th February 2004