About Casa Maya Cancun

• spanish amenities
  • hot tub
  • kids club
  • atm on site
  • free private parking nearby
  • private beach
  • snorkeling amenities
  • diving
  • evening entertainment
  • entertainment staff

Good

Run, run, and run some more (away from the Casa Maya!)

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"What can I say that will express the true experience my family and I had at this hotel? The word hell comes to mind.

1) Timeshare hounds will bug you non-stop. RCI has done fine by offering the place, but geez, these sales pitchers are insane. If you don't opt to invest in a timeshare, be prepared to pay the price. Service is not the greatest, and goes downhill from there.

2) Whomever rated this a 5* hotel must have been blind, deaf, immune to bedbugs and dirty sheets, and must have been okay with listening to timeshare schpeels until they were blue in the face. I would give this hotel a 3* max. It's misleading to say it's a 5*hotel.

3) bedbugs suck and there were some at this hotel. Enough said.

4) Food is majorly overpriced, but so is all of Cancun. Too many tourists willing to pay $9 for a margarita, I suppose.

5) Eat away from the hotel. The food is atrocious and very, very bland.

6) Safety issues are a concern. I had moments when I felt extremely unsafe in the hotel. Security is a joke, but that's common around most of Mexico anyhow. My extensive traveling througout the beautiful country has taught me that. Don't rely on security and strangers to be "kind."

7) Older crowd, if that's fine with you, go for it. We are in our late 20s and wanted a more lively place.

8) One of the worst beaches I've been to for swimming. Snorkeling advertised is okay if you're not a regular, but it's really not that interesting. The rocks on the beach will scrape your knees and feet. Do not ever go in without sandals.

9) Playground is okay. But kids sometimes have a low attention span when it comes to those, anyways! It's outdated, as most of the hotel is.

I wish I had more positive things to say, but next time, I'll opt out of that and the timeshare factor alone should send you running in the opposite direction."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2004

Decent

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Our family stayed in the Casa Maya in February, 2000, the studio was spacious and our teen son utilized the pull out sofa in the living room.The staff provided great service and hospitality. The only problem was with the toliet seat, it continuously slipped back and forth while in use (smile)We call for repair a couple of times and the seat actually broke the first time. After replacement, it still slipped back and forth and was not secured to the toliet. We didn't bother to call back and lived with it for the week.Other than that they stored our luggage on the last day for a late flight and the experience was FAIR. The breakfast buffet was good."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of May 2004

Jesus you werer the best

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We had the funnest time when we traveled to cancun. We stayed at the Casa Maya and Jesus was the best bus/ beg boy ever if anyone has been there they know who he is. they make you feel at home and welcome"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of May 2004

Excellent

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Went to Casa Maya over Spring Break 2004 and loved it. Older crowd since it is a timeshare resort but had nothing but fun, a little on the expensive side but if you're smart enough to go downtown to eat and drink it's awsome. NEver had any trouble with conartists, Juan and Arturo the directors of activities were awsome made the entire week for us. The staff was excellent ( imagine 4 frat boys in a room) was clean every single day we returned, nothing was ever missing, very curteous staff downstairs in the bar. Couldn't ask for much more, except maybe to be a bit closer to downtown area but the place was excellent. If you go to Mexico your going to have to expect heckling and begging from locals, if you stay with juan and arturo they will keep you away from it all. Clubs trips can get pricy but are worth it if you can afford it. When they promise VIP treatment at clubs you get it. CocoBongo, Senor Frogs Carlos and Charlies were the greatest places ever and Casa Maya made sure that we all got the VIP. Make sure you learn to use the bus though and stay away from Taxi. If any questions email me i'll be happy to give you more tips or info."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of May 2004

love the friendly staff!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"As time share owners at this resort, Casa Maya has been undergoing improvements yearly. I wish I could say that all the rooms are redone, but even the old ones are liveable for the week. The staff there is great, we see the same faces year after year, and all are friendly.
Being on the bus route helps, it's a short distance to get anywhere from this hotel. The hotel has an outdoor restaurant, as well as featured dinners nightly. I enjoy Casa Maya, hopefully they will finish all the rooms in the original part of the hotel in the next year or so."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of April 2004

Casa Maya (so so)

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We read all of the less than positive reviews on your site and were really worried about what we may find. We were not lucky enough to get one of the remodeled suites. It smelled pretty musty, the fridge did not work very well and we made them come and replace it. The replacement was not much better and it was all rusty(ugh!) The view from our room was nice. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly, except for some of the security guards. They would not let my daughter back into the room one night because she did not have a key. We later explained to the staff that it was not possible for all of us to have keys because they would not supply one for all four of us. They also were rude to my son questioning his right to walk the public beach. We made sure we complained to the manager regarding this behavior. The location of the hotel was very good and gave us quick access to busses downtown or to the hotel zone. The beach was not the best but it was just a short walk to one of the public beaches which was verry nice! The Casa Maya was not the best for comfort (no Taj Mahal, but no bed bugs) but the location was excellant. It suited our purpose because we were not in the hotel much. So if you are the kind who like to hang around the hotel, this place is not for you."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of April 2004

Bla, bla, blaaaaaa...

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I've been going back and forth to Canun for the last thirteen years and have seen the "good and the bad",and with ANY resort area you are going to find what EVER YOU are looking for! Been to the finest hotels i:e Fiesta Americana Coral Beach, Camino Reale, and yes the Ritz and the same ole' same ole'... ya get what you pay for!

Yes, the Casa Maya is not the Ritz but the service and cordial staff were equally the same only, they have a more personal touch and get to know you by name! Sure they are going through a renevation process and doing a wonderful job of it. And big deal... the beach may have a few rocks here and there...so walk around them!... and at least you can swim safely without being drawn out to sea in some of the dangerous UNDERTOWS on the Ritz side! Alfonso was very hospitable at the bar and quite humorous... BESIDES if the so called high prices bother you wait till Hora Feliz (happy hour) where you can drink yourself to death for just $6.00USD for TWO DRINKS. Overall, with the new remodelling, the Casa Maya is one of the best deals in Cancun... clean rooms with a GREAT view...not too bad a breakfast, lots of beach space AND ENOUGH palapas and beach chairs! The "time share" thing? No problemo! Take their free breakfast and really listen to the program they offer... who knows, you just might like it! We did!!! As I mentioned earlier, I've around the Cancun area for years, and I've found Casa Maya time share program to be one of the finest! Just ask for "Joe" and tell him Drew sent you... he'll cut you deal you couldn't refuse!

All in all, you definately cannot go wrong if you select the Casa Maya as your next beach destination and resort...as I mentioned, the folks there really make you feel at home AND welcomed!

A few of the negatives you may read about... I bet they are the kind of folks that would have problems even at the RITZ!!! Nuff said...caio"

• Travel date: Sun 4th of April 2004

Less than below average, to say the least

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My husband and I honeymooned at Casa Maya as part of an RCI deal in the Summer of 2003. Just to be sure that no one confuses this hotel with another, the tall flagpole bearing the Mexican flag is directly across the street from Casa Maya - this is the landmark we used when we ventured out into the downtown area. Ironically, we only used that landmark once. Our first day venturing out into the downtown area we were accosted and terrorized for about 6 hours. Since eating in the resort was so expensive (we had already spent the $100 add on inclusive deal our first night), we figured that we'd venture into the downtown area (Paseo Kulkulan area) to a fast food place. We rode the bus to McDonalds, and once we were finished, we decided to walk down the store front until we spotted a bus going in our direction. After strolling around and looking in the shops, we hitched a bus ride back toward the resort. We were able to get off about 100 yards away, although we had to cross the street. When we were approximately 50 yards away from the hotel, a man in very plain English (albeit with a Spanish accent and lisp) asked if we knew where to party. Although somewhat bizzare that a man who seemed like he was from the area was asking this question, my husband and I figured we'd help him out. He was walking around with another couple, and normally under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we speak to strangers. However, being on our honeymoon and feeling the laid-back atmosphere, my husband and I turned around and gave him some suggestions.The man and couple began to follow us toward our hotel, and before I knew it the man pulled out a badge and demanded money from both my husband and I. Thank goodness we left our jewelery in the room before heading out, but we had just cashed in about $200 US in exchange for pesos. We figured it would be no problem - we'd give him the $200 we cashed in and he'd leave us alone. Before I knew it, the couple was gone and the so-called undercover cop/con-man (they're pretty much synonomous in MX) was threatening to throw us in jail if we did not try to come up with more money - atleast $3,000 US. He demanded my husband's ID and used his cell phone to call in the information (for some reason I was skeptical of this phone call because as soon as the man put the phone to his ear, he began talking) Once we explained to him that we didn't have any more money is where it got fishy - he asked us where we were staying. We told him that we were staying right behind us at the Casa Maya (to the locals in Cancun, Casa Maya is where the *rich people* stay - we found this out right after we got back). He kept threatening to throw us in jail since we didn't have any more money and giving us grotesque images of what it is like being in a Mexican jail. At this point, we offered the man $500 to leave us alone. All we had to do is go back to our room and get our credit card so we could go to the ATM. He DID NOT want to go back to the hotel - he was very insistent about staying away from CASA MAYA, because his *supervisor* was already there. Finally, he realized he would get no where unless he went back to our hotel to get our things. He made us walk around the back side of the resort, and enter through the glass doors surrounding the pool area. Another fishy thing - a security guard was standing right at the entrance of the door way. I felt somewhat relieved, thinking the guard has been trained and could see that something was ary since a local was following behind American Toursts. That was until the guard gave me a very sly smile with a laugh, and let us walk past without any inteference. Once we reached our room, the man followed us inside and became angry when I went to get my purse. He threw both myself and my husband up against the wall and proceeded to search us. Thinking that we were almost free, we took the elevator downstairs and attempted to use the ATM - the man became enraged again and said that we had to use the ATM down the street. Since we were in a foreign country, we were only able to withdraw a limited amount daily. We were able to get the $500, plus the $200 we already gave him - but it didn't count toward the full balance. Once he realized that we could not get any more money he said he was going to call a squad car to come pick us up. Then he gave us the option of going to buy things at the mall with our credit cards to pay the $2500 balance. If we did not do this, then we would go to jail - for atleast the next 3 weeks. Suffice the next 5 hours to say that we trailed the man around the mall as he bargained with every one in Spanish, and relayed information to us in English. We went from the mall, to an airconditioner store, and Wal-mart until he was satisfied. The funny thing was, he paid for our cab rides, water and even offered to feed us if we were hungry. Needless to say, we both lost our appetites for a couple of days after that and plus we didn't trust this guy any farther than we could throw him. Once we finished at Wal-mart, he caught us a cab, paid for it and sent us on our way, making sure that he got the details of when we were leaving. What he didn't know was, we were scheduled to leave in 5 days - but we were planning to leave the very next day due to the circumstance. There is no doubt in my mind that this man was going to be returning for more, had we stayed.We arrived back at the Casa Maya and immediately went straight to our room. On our way to our room, we noticed two security guards at the end of the hallway, talking on a phone. We didn't really pay attention to them because we were exhausted, overwhelmed and dumbfounded, all in the same. It took about 5 minutes for us to decide that we needed to pack our things and get out of there. We had every thing all packed up and ready to go, and as we approached the elevator the guards kept pacing the hallway and looking at us - now we were suspicious of what their role was in what had just happened. Just before we tried to check out, we realized that we couldn't leave even if we wanted to right then - we didn't have a scheduled flight, and most importantly our credit cards wouldn't work until the next day. We decided we'd stay for the night and wake up early to continue with our plan. Of course as soon as we returned back upstairs, the guards were gone. About an hour or so later, they returned, congregating at the end of our hallway and even standing in front of our door, staring. It was by SHEER COINCIDENCE that my husband happened to look out the peephole and see one of the guards staring at the door. This happened TWICE within 3 hours time. We were asked many times by our friends and family why we didn't try to do something. When you're in a foreign country and you don't speak the language, the majority tend to flock together and believe one another, regardless of right or wrong. The man even made this point, saying if we went to court and we told the judge about him, that would cause him to have to make something up about us, and at that point, who would the judge believe - him (a native) or us? Even if he was just a con man and not a cop, who's to say that he couldn't still pin something on us, and get himself off the hook??Had he not made that point, the situation probably would have a much worse ending because this would have left hope that someone could help us. However, it was perfectly clear that we could not trust any one - not even the hotel staff since it was evident that their security guards played some role in the situation. In short, my husband and I will never return to Casa Maya, much less Cancun. Aside from what happened, the staff is very nonchalant, and the service is slow. Not to mention, it seemed like my husband and I were the only young couple there - and very few of the other guests spoke English. Perhaps we were targeted for this very reason, among other things. Please note my intentions for this review are to back up the claims of another reviewer who mentioned the staff being shady. Although our problems were more or less with the security guards, they all are a part of the same place. It has been extremely hard in coming forward, since it is almost like reliving that day while writing this review. However, I would not wish a day like this on my worst enemy, and keeping it from every one else seems selfish to me, when in all reality, it could happen to ANYONE. No one should have to go through this type of hell when visiting Paradise. Also.. if you're approached by someone fitting the description of a cross between Joey Buttafucco and Antonio Banderis (keep in mind the bilingual in English and Spanish, as well as a lisp), turn and walk the other way. Acknowledging his presence will only lead you to trouble. To any one who has questions, feel free to e-mail me."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of March 2004

Old AND Rundown

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Old, run down hotel. Threadbare carpeting, ATM ate our Credit card and we wereunable to retrieve it, having to stop credit card. Beach has several feet of uncomfotable rocks in the water. Older crowd, avg age week of feb 7-14 was about 65. we are in 40s and about the youngest there. Terrible music in bars, bad lounge singers. weak drinks, hot tubs out of service most of the week, no lounge chairs available after 7am and most of the cheep plastic chairs broken anyway. Food terrible and high priced. ( Eat at Carlos and Charlies across the street. Much better). AC barely worked. Sheets old and rough, mildew smell. I laughed at the timeshare presentation that advised the benefits of owning at this club for 30 years. I told them the hotel will be long gone in 30 years. WE GOT THE ROOM ON SKY AUCTIONS FOR 250 SO NO BIG LOSS. ID NOT PAY ANYMORE THAN THAT FOR THIS HOTEL."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2004

Highly recommend!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We just returned yesterday(1/31) This was our second stay at the Casa Maya. We travel alot and by far have never found better service with very freindly staff who treat you like royalty. They do not pressure you to attend their time share presentation but make it available to you. The food was excellent, and priced very reasonably for cancun.
They very graciously prepared fish that my husband had caught that day and provided all the extras for about an $8 dinner! We also like the location, being inbetween downtown where we like to eat and shop, to the (point of the 7) Nightclub area. Traveling by bus 6 pesos one way or Taxi for $6 (Tell them you'll pay no more!) We found we could get a Taxi to either downtown or nightclubs for that price. Must try the Rio steakhouse for excellent dining experience and if you want to try exotic meats. The Argentinian Steakhouse Cambalache by Coco Bongo for steaks. They are expensive but worth it. El Cejas in the downtown Market 28 is where the local mexicans eat and the food is great but cheap. Over all we really loved the breakfast and dinner buffets at our hotel the best. Take advantage of the evening night out where you pay $30 and the Hotel staff take you to a designated nightclub for that night. The $30 pays for you to get in and open bar for several hours.
Coco Bongo's Las Vegas style entertainment was great. This is a good deal if you drink. Definately do take advantage of the Hotel's Amigo package where you pay $75 for $100 to be used anywhere in hotel except Happy Hour at bar and for tipping. You can buy more packages as the week goes on. Don't forget your maids! I always leave 10 pesos ($1) per person staying in the rooms along with some good individually wrapped hard candies per day for them. I've done this wherever we have stayed for years Iguess I could go on and on..talk to Brian if you are into diving or want to try it..he's great. This is a great Hotel if you have children, or are any age...nice mix of people, quiet place even during spring break. We'll definately go back to Casa Maya, and are considering buying there."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of February 2004