Beachside bliss meets jungle mystery

San Francisco reviewer must have went to wrong Hotel

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"In reading the reviews on this site it seems that some of the issues some of the reviewers had are entirely their own fault. I think they went to Maroma with the wrong expectations thinking they would be partying, participating in non stop activities, eating American food, and hoping for discount travel. As other reviewers have said maybe these people should have stayed in Cancun when they got off the plane. My husband took me here on a whim of the moment trip to try and relax after a long busy work year. We enjoyed our 7 day stay and did not run of things to do...relax... I didn't seem to understand the reviews from the advisor from SF. When we left our room which was amazing, we still had a tub. In fact it was a really nice tiled tub. Was the SF reviewer staying a different hotel. I have come across other reviewers on this site who just try to slam a resort or place though they have never visited. Enough talk about the reviewer who never went. This resort is a great escape. It reminded me of another great mexican resort on the other side of the country Las Ventanas al Paraíso. Though maybe not as luxe as the Las Ventanas, Maroma caters to your every need. Food was amazing, beach relaxing and service was impecable at Maroma. It is in my mind a little bit of heaven here on earth for us to share."

• Travel date: 31st December 2003

Magical honeymoon

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"We just returned from our Maroma honeymoon. Based on our experiences, we are shocked that anyone could find anything to criticize about this property. We enjoyed impeccable service (better or as good as the Ritz we have been to), very good food and accomodations and amagingly creative and romantic touches. You don't go to Maroma for nonstop entertainment - - you go to unwind, get-away and recharge. The entire staff gets high marks for friendliness and professionalism. When we can afford it, we will come back."

• Travel date: 17th December 2003

LOVED the Maroma Resort and Spa!

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS! My husband and I just returned from Maroma. We were there from Nov. 1-8 and had an amazing time. I agree with the other reviewer... this is NOT the place to go if you're looking for a drunken-filled wild time in Mexico... if you want to do that, go to one of the huge, crazy, all-inclusives in Cancun or Playa del Carmen... The service at the Maroma Resort is excellent, the food is OUTSTANDING... (you get what you pay for, folks... the food may be a little on the pricey side, but it is WORTH it!) The drinks are incredible and the staff put in very LONG days to make your stay perfect... by day 3, everyone knew our names, room number, and the activities we either completed or had planned. Oh.. I don't know what others are doing there, but we drank 'house' water the entire time and ate everywhere (including Playa del Carmen and a small Mayan village on our way to Chichen Itza) and didn't get sick at all... Don't let those comments scare you... This was our very first time in Mexico and we will definitely be back in the future... Some minor constructive (no pun intended) criticism for Maroma... they are still renovating and you'll hear a little of that work going on.. it was not even enough to phase us, though... also, a lot of the activities (horseback riding, swimming with dolphins, etc.) are done at other properties... the cost of a taxi is NOT included in the price quoted by Maroma... I would recommend NOT paying for the $500 tour of Chichen Itza offered by Maroma. Instead, go into Playa del Carmen and buy tickets ($55 each) to do a bus tour... it's a VERY long day, but you get to see some other things and the bus ride is not that bad..."

• Travel date: 11th November 2003

Wonderful

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"WE LOVED IT!!!! After reading some of the reviews, we were a little concerned, but shouldn't have been. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary, and coudn't have been at a more romantic place.Yes, it was expensive, and perhaps a bit over-priced. But we found our suite and the food to be outstanding. As we lazed under our palapa on the beach, we enjoyed watching the silly tourists at the all-inclusive next door. It's not the place to go if you need to be entertained all of the time. But it was so romantic, we provided our own entertainment! And after a day in the sun, what better way to spend the evening than a great dinner and a candle-lit walk along the beach. We are disappointed that they are expanding and only hope the staff will continue to provide the very personal and friendly service we received."

• Travel date: 21st October 2003

Pretty,and Pretty Bad As Well

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Unless you are on your honeymoon,(which will keep you busy,)there is nothing much to do at night, except eat bad, boring food, watch a boring old film at 6pm yet! 8pm would at least be better... and try to get to the one lonely computer in the "Library" which also has one TV set. In the day, enjoy the pretty beach, that is crowded with people from the huge VentaClub-met type resort next door passing by, gawking at the "Ricos Americanos Touristas" and Racing their fifteen or so motorboats very couple of hours. Overpriced. WAY Overpriced for what you are receiving."

• Travel date: 31st August 2003

Ruly BEautiful,YEt Disappointing!!

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Visited Maroma August 1-4. Beautiful place. Great Service.Overpriced, Terrible Food.Wrong charges on our bill. Beach becoming crowded from VentaClub-Italian large hotel next door, which also has about a dozen raceboats passing by every few hours.To add insult to injury,we both became very ill from the food /water."

• Travel date: 5th August 2003

Sadly,on a downhill run(Paradise Lost?)

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"First of all, as I write this having just returned from Maroma(Aug 4,2003), Maroma will be closing until October 15th or so for expansion(Sadly)Refurbishing(Fine)the addition of 2 Tennis Courts,and the building of 5 new Villas with private pools and Gardens (Good or Bad to be determined.)BAthrooms in room afford NO Privacy!!!!. Briefly: 1:Georgeous place,beautifully kept,friendly people and service. FANTASTIC BEACH WITH EXCEPTIONS** 2:Food, except for breakfast is bad to mediocre.Same menu daily,except for "Specials."(Nothing really special about the Specials,which average $32.00 per person,without appetizers,or drinks) Caribbean Lobster Tails pretty good...And 3:Overly,Overly expensive for oversalted,dry food,small portions.(Ask for the Free regular bottled water,which is filtered, otherwise you will get Evian for $9.00 a bottle!!!) 4:DO NOT DRINK THE WATER,EVEN FROM THE PITCHERS THE WAITERS SERVE YOU!!THEY WILL TELL YOU ITS FROM BOTTLES,BUT SEVERAL OF US GOT SERIOUSLY ILL, and WE ARE STILL SUFFERING 3 DAYS LATER. 5:**BEACH:Down the beach, is the VentaClub,sort of an Italian club med.. HUNDREDS of people, some which wander on to the Maroma beach and swim here (Too bad).Also, about 8 to 12 noisy rented Motorboats race by,almost every hour. 6:Check you bill daily!! Dont wait til the end!! Nothing is Itemized, andd there are mistakes. Just our 2Cents worth. We believe in paying for worthwhile value, and at this time, Maroma is NOT a worthwhile value with average daily costsof approximately $600 per day, with food excluding drinks,including service..., unless they lower their costs, and expectations."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2003

Fantastic place

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Myself and my new wife went on honeymoon to Maroma. Ignore any negativity, the place is gorgeous, it's environmentally sound, the beach is terrific and a real sun-trap and the food and service are both impeccable. I could not recommend this more highly."

• Travel date: 20th July 2003

Peaceful and Relaxing Maroma

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"My husband and I just returned from a five-night stay at Maroma, ending on July 10, 2003. We had the most amazing time. The hospitality is second to none. The staff responds to your needs but is not overly pushy or noticeable. You are able to relax anywhere without being disturbed, which to me is just what is needed when you need to get away. I definitely recommend the one-hour beachside romantic massage. The beach is quiet and the Italian resort down the way is NOT an issue. They are not allowed to use the beach at Maroma and the only thing that you will see them do is walk along the sand, BIG DEAL! I was concerned about this after reading some of the other reviews, comparing it in my mind to the Italian Riviera in the summer, but it is not a problem. Maroma is most certainly the most secluded beach possible in an increasingly popular area of Mexico. We will most definitely return to Maroma again."

• Travel date: 14th July 2003

A class act

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We just returned from a 4night, spa rejuvanation package at Maroma. We loved the laid back elegance and intimacy that make this resort unique. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff, who knew us by name and went out of the way to make us feel like part of an exclusive family and fullfull any request. We booked an oceanfront room, #40, in the newer section and it had an absolutely unobstructed view, with the beautiful Aquarius pool to our side, right outside our door. It felt like our own personal hacienda. I would certainly be just as happy with this room as compared with a Junior Suite. I am very picky about my room location and view and they paid particular attention to my requests. The beach palapas and mahogany chairs were very high quality. This is definately a place for romance. One of my favorite things was in the evening, all the jungle paths, perimeters of the pools, and stairs are lined with tiny votives, hundreds of them. It is definately pricey, especially the food, but we felt we got our moneys worth. We prefer highend, unique boutique properties and Maroma did not dissappoint us. My only wish would be for a little more variety to the menu, but everything was definately gourmet and outstanding. The massages in the beachfront huts were heavenly. My husband and I were hesitent to try the Temezcal, but did not regret it. I was a unique and unforgettable experience. When you crave a little action, Playa del Carmen, just a 20 minute cab ride, or hotel shuttle ride, was a refreshing change. They had a great selection of trendy restaurants and interesting boutiques."

• Travel date: 6th July 2003