Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Riviera Maya

• facial treatments
  • snorkeling amenities
  • entertainment staff

Good

This was by far the best holiday I've ev...

Reviewed 29th June 2008

"This was by far the best holiday I've ever been on. We couldn't fault anything. We went for my brothers wedding, which was amazing! Loved how there were animals all over the resort, eg crocodile, various birds, iguanas etc. The pools and own beach were out of this world, with free drinks, towels etc, it is all you could ever want. There was a huge choice of food, any time of day, with different cuisines and restaurants to try. Including free room service, which I did try. Rooms were lovely, double jacuzzi baths, balcony/ patio area where racoons would come after food. The maids even made animals with your towels! Staff were very friendly and couldn't do more to help/ assist you. This is certainly somewhere i'd recommend and would return tomorrow. Recommend swimming with dolphins booked with Thomson's as well as snorkling, kayaking, numerous boat tours and snorkling in the caves!"

• Travel date: 29th June 2008

Nature Lovers Paradise

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT A+ Just got back fom 4 days, 3 nights at "Ishpoo-ha"and loved it!! Took our kids 10 & 7 and had a blast! No need to ever leave the resort...Everything is there to have an awesome time! Snorkeling, kayaking, beach soccer, volleyball, pingpong, boogie boards, Yoga on beach, 2 huge pools, animals and wildlife evrywhere. Kids thought it was the greatest thing they'd ever done! Entertainment in the Lobby is light and fun! We did Karakoe Night and the Staff really makes it FUN! Kids and DH got henna tatoos right on the beach and daughter got hair braids at the salon. Mom got massage and we did it all there at XPU HA!GETTING AROUND B- Resort is huge and spread out so be prepared to walk! Bikes are available if you can get your hands on 'em. They definitely need to invest in more!!! Golf carts are reliable and the wait is not too long! It truly will take 20 min or so to get from one end of resort to the other on foot...take good walking shoes! Note: you must walk sometimes to take it all in. There are iguanas and lizards everywhere and our kids looked forward to what they might see!DINING B+ Food is way better than we thought it would be. Good selections at every place and service is OUTSTANDING at Bambu and Mariachi. Mexican food is AUTHENTIC so if you are used to Taco Bell you will be dissappointed. But, you can ASK for anything....even if it's not on the menu. I had the Mexican Burrito w/ Steak my husband had the Fish...both wonderful dishes. They also have kids menus at these two places and are HAPPY to accomodate needs!!! ( Ask for ADRIAN the server) The Caleta Snack Bar/ Buffet -by the Snorkeling Inlet -is pretty good too.... but be prepared for a crowd and a little wait. You have to stand next to the grill outside while they make your burger/chicken/steak and it is HOT!!! ... My old standby~ Nachos, guacamole and Pic de Gallo~ are mucho bueno and easy to get!A+ WILDLIFE We saw at least 10 Iguanas, lizards, crabs and one snake on our walks from place to place. There are shortcuts thru the jungle but don't do it at night, you'll never find your way back!! :) Take a flashlight!!! You never know what you might see. the ZOO is everywhere. Crocs, monkeys, turtles, deer...all caged but fun to watch!! Snorkeling is FABULOUSO! Great variety of fish to see! Only thing is the water was pretty cold but you get used to it quickly! Didn't do any of the Eco-Tours but heard they are great too.A+ ROOM Clean, comfy, maids were great, mini fridge well stocked and just enough room not to be cramped. TV worked...which is good with kids....Porch and hammock were awesome!! Plus, room service avail with about 45 min wait time. Not too bad! All other guests that we talked with were having a blast as well. Note: Brush up on your spanish! We can't wait to go back and stay for a week!"

• Travel date: 11th August 2003

some good, more not so good

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"This is a tough review to write. I dont' want to seem like the typical "can't be pleased" tourist who fusses about everything. Usually, my family makes the best of things and just gets along fine. Our experience here pushed the limits of keeping a good attitude. I want to share it, not as a revenge tactic, but to let others beware and prepared. My party (seventyish parents, my wife and two teenaged daughters) checked into the resort 3:00 PM, but rooms weren't ready until 6:00. It was a long HOT afternoon. We didn't get top/bottom of one hut as promised, but separate lower rooms. We didn't get two beds, as promised, but one king (for 4 people?) The worst surprise was the construction outside our room - less than ten feet from us. Over 30 men building a new hut. The view, however, was beautiful and location great. We decided to stay put. Surprise, the next morning 7:00 AM, 30 men with hammers, plus a concrete truck (with reverse siren)were outside our window. They were actually sitting on our balcony to rest. I walked to the lobby (a long hike) and requested different accomodations. The receptionist said to come back at 11:00, so I made the hike again. He said come back at 12:00, so I waited. They changed our rooms, told us to pack up and they'd be there in 30 minutes. We waited almost four hours and basically shot one whole day of a four day trip. Guess what, only one bed in the new place also. Our new rooms were next to the lobby, and our "tropical view" was the bicycle graveyard, complete with yellow police tape surrounding it. I felt as if the young desk clerk had smugly decided "You don't like the first room, wait until you see this one," and I had no recourse. That night, in our rooms, we were treated to LOUD (as in glasses rattling on the table) music from the lobby show until after midnight. Not sure if I liked the concrete truck or the drums better. We regrouped, shrugged off the bad, and tried to make the best of things. There were good parts. The beach was great, the lagoon was perfect for snorkeling, and the food was good. The evening meals were especially good. The buffet breakfast and lunch were standard fare. The rooms were nice, beautiful balconies and hammocks (just poor view for us). This place, given a room in a nice location, would be fine, but, there is such a huge discrepancy in location, I think the rooms should have different rates (ala cruise ships). Some general thoughts -nobody's fault, just the way things are - it is HOT and humid in August; prepare to walk a lot, the trams are very inconsistent; things get really crowded during the day due to influx of other palace resort guests-busloads come in every morning (remember I was staying in the lobby, I saw'em); beach chairs and shade were at a premium, get there early and stake your territory; The trip was noteworthy and we'll always remember it and never go back! We used GoGo Travel and I was especially disappointed in their lack of help, not only did the things they promise not happen (double beds) but their representative showed no interest in helping us with our room locations. Man, do I sound gripey? sorry, just wanted you to hear the full story. Travel with an open mind and be prepared."

• Travel date: 9th August 2003

Time Share Beware

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"CHECK IN WAS A SNAP, TEQUILA ON ARRIVAL. Greeted by a rep that explained the park offered a trip to the 1 year celebration of the newest member of the resort community, another hotel. I should have know better. The first night of our visit was nice. My wife and two boys age 7 and 13 loved the water, we couldnt keep them out of it. The staff was very friendly!! The first morning we woke, I used our bathroom and was greeted to Mexico by a Scorpion and a nice sting on the toe. The hotel assured me they was nothing to worry about. The wildlife is everywhere. We had fun chasing the lizards and watching the birds. Just about every night in the lobby the staff puts on a show. This was fun for the kids as well. The restraunts offered great americanized food, stake every night if you want! Buffet style at the Ragatzzi, all you can drink as well, be careful. The Mexican/Oriental restraunt was a upscale jungle enviroment. Not really Mexican food, we did however eat our fare share of sushi as our appetizer in the Oriental. We swam with the Dolphins, what a kick!! However the price of the photos and video should have been included in the cost. Its very expensive for a family of 4. Back to the Moon Palace time share. I dont mind taking a tour to get out of the resort for a day but to be badgered for 45 minutes by three time share sales thugs was unreal. I placed my family in a difficult situation, when I wanted to leave they refused to let us until I spoke with a manager, I told him no also. He then had his manager talk with us. I guess No in Mexico time share language means keep asking me if I want to spend $75000 USD or $37500 USD to visit your resort over and over again. When I stood to leave they asked me to sit down so they could fill out one more form and then I could leave. I did and I ran out of that place appologizing to my family for putting them in this situation. Just say NO!! Buyer beware is my new motto. I am in sales for a living and have learned to take no three times and then let it go. This is not taught in Mexico. Visit the ruins, they are nice. When bargaining with the locals on a shopping tour, say "to much" and walk away, if they really want to sell you thier goods they will come after you. If not you will feel like they got the best of you. My youngest bought a gituar at a stop after the ruins and paid $13.00 USD, the gift shop in the hotel had the same one for $6.00 USD. All in all it was nice, I would go back but when is the question. No time soon. The palace was very quite and nice. I didnt want a loud vacation. I wanted to sit on the beach/pool and relax. We did!! The other Hotels are youth oriented and are very loud. Topless sunbathers were seen, this I didnt want for my young boys. All in all it was nice, just be a protective parent if you take you kids. Tip the waiters and maids, we spoke with a waiter in the Ragatzzi and he stated he made $70.00 USD every 15 days. We felt sorry for him and for his attention to our needs took care of him. Try the Mian Coffee, you will not regret [email protected]"

• Travel date: 4th August 2003

The Best

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"My husband and I took our children (17 1/2 & 10 - both boys) to Xpu-Ha Place July 15, 2003 for 7 nights. We decided on Mexico because we wanted to take them somewhere special knowing the 17 yr old wouldn't want to be travelling with us too much longer. We chose Xpu-Ha based on TripAdvisor reviews and couldn't have been happier. This resort is natural and stunning. The staff was friendly and spoke very good english - all of them. Our room was one of the most beautiful that I have every stayed in. The deck and hammock were so relaxing. You will have to walk - alot! They need more golf carts but we didn't really mind. It was good to get our exercise in. The food was very good and the staff excellent. Our 17yr old made friends with other kids all across the world and to top it off, he didn't have any problem getting alcohol! After we found this out, we watched him alot closer. The 10 yr old played in the water most of the time - beach and pool. He really enjoyed the animals and the "giant" lizards. We took advantage of the free transportation to the other resorts and picked out our next vacation resort. (The SPA Palace!) You do have to sign up for the bus the day before! I booked this trip through Funjet and am very disappointed with the service of their representative. He was never available, even when he indicated he would be and we eventually had to book transportation through the resort to get to the airport on our way home. I don't think I'll be booking with them anymore. This was the only stress we had during our stay! I can't say enough about this resort - very happy!"

• Travel date: 29th July 2003

Wonderful, Friendly Staff & Good Food

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"We stayed at the Xpu-Ha palace from June 12-19. The staff was very friendly and always said hello when you passed them on the paths. Housekeeping made the cutest towel animals daily. We stayed in the Iguana complex right on the beach. It was beautiful. A lot of other reviews for this hotel complained about the walking. We found that there was not a single walk more than a quarter mile and we met a gentleman in a wheelchair there that did just fine. The trams do come every ten to fifteen minutes but we found that many visitors get impatient when they find the tram is not going in their direction. We noticed that the drivers always got on the radio to tell the other tram they had passengers waiting. The aviary was closed for renovation and doesn't expect to reopen for another three months, but there were many other animals to see. We saw a wild tapir and racoon while we were there as well as a large display of other reptiles and mamals on the property. The tropical flowers were beautiful. The beach was great. The pool was nice and they even had a mariachi band perform there one afternoon. The food was wonderful. Are only disappointment was that the Oriental, Mexican, and Italian restraunts didn't have any of these types of foods on their menu's. We found this quite strange. So if you are longing for a burrito or fried rice you will have to go out into town. The food overall was very very good, much better than what we expected. We had a wonderful time on the resort. The daily beach and lobby bar activities were great and kept us amused. There are lots of activities for children but we found the resort quiet and peaceful. It was easy to book tours from the hotel and many were free. If you would like to see a variety of pictures that we took at the Xpu-Ha palace and surrounding areas please visit our vacation picture web page at ***** if you have any questions please feel free to email us."

• Travel date: 6th July 2003

First Trip Ever to Mexico

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Just returned from the XPU-HA PALACE May 28th, we stayed 6 days and 5 nights. My husband and I run our own business together and work upto 80 hrs per week each. We needed this vacation. Started researching this in January and if it were not for these very reviews "trip advisor" we would not have had a clue. The XPU-HA PALACE RESORT has something for everyone. At first I thought we had to have an ocean view second floor room and nothing else would due, but once we arrived in the lobby and saw all the natural beauty somehow I knew it would not matter. We did get the second floor room as requested but were told that no ocean views were available and I tried the (water or lagoon view request as suggested in some of the reviews) the front desk smiled and said sorry none available. I suggest that you not get all wrapped up in what room you get and enjoy every minute you have discovering this place as there is a lot to discover. We stayed in the Fish Village (Robolo) and it was close to everything if you find the hidden short cut paths in the Jungle. Most all of the Village's have these little short cut paths you just have to look for them. So we were close to both restaurants, the dive and snorkle huts and the lagoon. You can feed the fish in the lagoons and see the beautiful fish jump out of the water, the fish are used to being feed and will follow you as you walk along the banks. It rained almost every evening and a good thing because otherwise the heat would have been unbarable. We sampled all the restaurants and found all the food and service to be excellent. The food is not seasoned like in America because the variety and freshness is superb. We did have the nut cream beef dish from the Mexican restaurant and I have to say this is the best thing I have ever eaten and the waiter was the best entertainment we had the whole trip. Use the bikes, and enjoy the beauty of the jungle. Walk and discover new paths everyday. We will go back."

• Travel date: 3rd June 2003

If you love natural beauty

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"If you love a natural setting Xpu-Ha is the perfect resort. We have also been to Moon Palace and Adventura Spa Palace, and they can't compare for settings. The beach and lagoon are gorgeous. The Ecopark setting makes the long walks interesting and beautiful. Do be prepared to walk. It is very hot and humid and the walks are long. My husband and I just looked at it as walking off all of the food. The food is fine, although not as good as the other two Mayan Riviera Palace Resorts. We had a second floor room which was nice, although be prepared to get a little wet if it rains. This resort is not for those who demand to be spoiled, it for those who love relaxing, natural beauty and a great beach."

• Travel date: 27th May 2003

Wonderful Place

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We just returned from the Xpu-Ha Palace Resort (May 16-23) and found it to be a great place. The grounds were like nothing else around, 85 acres of tropical jungle. NO BUGS OF ANY KIND....Took the eco tour which runs every hour after 9:00am. The guides were very knowledgeable. The food was great and the help was the best I'd experienced in years. The waiters in ala carte restaurants flambe fancy drinks (sexy coffee) and desserts tableside. This place has everything except nighttime entertainment. We were very lucky to have had the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders perform for us as they were there to photograph the girls for their calendar. You can use all the facilities of the other 5 Palace resorts and we did rent a car and hotel hopped to all of them. We enjoyed lunch and drinks in the Cancun resorts. We were very happy to have chosen the Xpu-Ha after visiting the others. We did everything that the resort offered snorkel, kayak etc. The gym and beauty shop were not air conditioned, but you can use the facilities at the Spa Palace (just a 5 minute car ride) if that's important. We also went to the Spa for dinner in their outdoor restaurant under the stars. It was a nice experience. Xpu-Ha offers a free bus ride at 10:30pm to the Spa Palace disco, but since it didn't return until 2:30am we elected to use our rental car. Getting around by car is simple, the main road follows the coast and signs are everywhere. You can't get lost. Renting a car at home is much cheaper, and the way to go. We also went to Playa de Carmen a great little town with local vendors. There is walking to be done but it's enjoyable since the shopping and town is delightful. The shop at Xpu-Ha is a great place to buy gifts, you can't beat the prices. My husband and I have traveled the whole Caribbean and can certainly recommend this hotel for people who love the outdoors. If you like fancy lobbies and glitz you'd probably enjoy the Spa Palace. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 24th May 2003

out of the ordinary

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"my husband and I stayed at xhu pa palace 4/29/03 to 5/6/03 and loved it. We had a wonderful second story room with vaulted ceiling at terrific view of the waves crashing into the reef. you could hear the ocean all night long with a great breeze off the ocean. We did alot of walking since th hotel is a bit spread out but the roads are all paved and flat! We used to complementary bikes on day but enjoyed walking too! The beach was great /very little seaweed. the food was great. Very tasty with a great selection (MUCH BETTER that the Princess cruise we took). The only minor complaint was that the food at the buffet got cool quickly d/t to constant breeze from th ocean 50 yards away. Staff was always pleasant and helpful. DO NOT miss out on MAYAN SEXY COFFEE at the Mariachi restaurant (quite a show and very tasty). We took 3 tours- all excellent- to Tulum, Chichen Itza, and Isla Mujeres. A boat took us from Cancun to isla mujeres and it was a PARTY BOAT. The staff put on many skits/great fun attitude/ with much beer and tequila (all included). We loved the "all inclusive" and plan to do that whenever we can. We are planning our next trip back after we learn to scuba dive. Snorkeling is tremendous (and again- included). If you like nature, walks along the reef finding hermit and other crabs, meeting iguanas on the paths, feeding the tropical fish, and seeing crocodiles (in a pen), turtles, wild cats, flamingos, deer you'll love Xhu pa palace. Not many kids whic h was great!!! Quiet and relaxing. Definitely at least a one in a lifetime experience."

• Travel date: 16th May 2003

Can't Wait to Return

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Just returned from a week long stay on May 14th. This resort is fabulous. Upon our early arrival we were greeted and immediately assigned our room prior to check-in. Ask for a room over near the reptile or reef section. These rooms have a lovely view of the ocean. We were situated on a top floor room with the vaulted ceilings and had a constant breeze.This place is like living in a jungle. The foliage and contained deer, birds, turtles etc. add that natural feeling. There also is a lake area for kyaking or paddle boating. The snorkeling also is great.Our room was clean and had a mini-fridge with water, soda and beer stocked every other day. The decor is festive and our room was cleaned daily. The staff is excellent. Very friendly and helpful.The food at all of the restaurants was to our liking. I had expected the food at the Mexican restaurant to be spicier but otherwise was good.Be prepared to walk. The little trams to come around fairly regularly but at least you have the opportunity to work off the huge meal you had just eaten.The beach is beautiful and open and you can walk for miles. This is the second time I have been to Mexico in early May and suggest this as a travel time outside of the Winter season. It never rains and there is a constant breeze.We would definitely return to this resort!"

• Travel date: 15th May 2003