Pampered at the Pierre

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Just returned with a group of neighbors and friends from a one week, all-inclusive (ILT) golf vacation package at the Pierre Marquez. We had a wonderful time! The hotel was one of those classic low-rise places, spread out over several acres of tropical grounds. Our room (#682) was a bungalow-type room---while not fancy, it was one of the largest rooms we’ve ever had on vacation, outfitted with a king bed, table/chairs, sofa, bar, two vanities, double dressers with room to spare. It had a large lanai that faced the garden and fountain. The air conditioning (very important in Acapulco) worked wonderfully and the bed was great. Our only complaint is that our room was quite a hike from the pools and restaurants.
Overall, we much preferred the Pierre to the “mega-resort” Acapulco Princess next door. The Pierre caters to a slightly older crowd---mostly golfers, while the Princess, with its swim-up bars and water slides, seems more for the younger set. Our package included meals at both resorts and the buffets were just great---something for everyone from cooked to order pasta, grilled veggies, fresh fruits, salads, to the most delicious ice cream we ever tasted!
At the Pierre, two beautiful (uncrowded) pools faced the sea and were a perfect way to cool off after a morning round of golf. Speaking of golf, the course at the Pierre was in much better condition than the Princess course, but both were enjoyable and what a pleasure to have our clubs waiting for us in carts when we showed up for the tee times.
The real hallmark of this resort was the service. From the waiters to the groundskeepers, the employees were gracious, helpful and always had a smile and friendly hello. One piece of my luggage was misplaced at the airport and the bell staff did not stop until this bag was located and delivered to my room---what personalized attention!
If you are someone who enjoys a low-key kind of place with great food and service, the Pierre is for you. From our discussions with other guests, this place definitely has its repeat customers. We will be among them."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007

A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT I'LL TAKE OLD ACAPULCO ANYDAY!!!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"For the price of the suite plus staying at a hotel with the Fairmont name plastered all over it I was really amazed at how understaffed it was. It was a major battle just to check in and our rooms were not ready as promised but we were told to come back two hours later at 5 PM and the housekeepers would be finished. We were also promised extra time on Sunday to swim before checkout to make up for all the inconvenience and they forgot all about this and it took 30 minutes of arguing to get an extra 2 hours of leisure time out of them! The grounds are magnificent but it appeared to be run on almost a skeleton staff and I would not go back even if the rooms were offered free of charge. I would prefer a moderate priced room in the heart of old Acapulco anyday compared to all of this red tape and arrogance!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of April 2006

Relaxing and Low Key Hotel

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Choose the Fairmont Pierre Marques 4/11-16 because it seemed a quieter option to the hustle and bustle of the hotel zone in Acapulco. Definitely true so if you are looking for action, this is not the place. Prefer a more relaxing atmosphere then the Fairmont Pierre Marques is the place to be. BE SURE to sign up for the free Fairmont Presidents Club and avoid paying $18 per night for the internet access charge and $10 daily health club fee plus you'll get 10% off spa services. We booked an Oceanview Junior Suite. This added to the king sized bedded room a seating area and table and a window that overlooked the ocean. Sadly, the window was quite dirty, but a very large patio adjoined the room making it pleasant to sit outside and watch the waves. (Note: the water is too rough for swimming.) The patio is large enough for entertaining should you be there celebrating with family, friends, etc. or for children to play outside after you're done at the pool area. (There is a great little park for children and two 5' or under pools at one end of the property.) Our package included breakfast and dinner which we took at the buffet. The selections changed each day so we did not tire of the restaurant though some may feel limited by this. We could have eaten at the Fairmont Princess or at a couple of other places, but finding out what exactly is included in the meal plan was a rather daunting task and we just didn't feel like dealing with it. For example, our package included 30% off beverages but the discount does not come off at time of ordering. If you remind them at check out, they will probably adjust, but you'd have to keep track of what you ordered over the course of your stay. Sometimes we would get charged for a drink at a meal, but more often we did not. The discount wouldn't have amounted to much for us, so it was not a big deal, but for some it maybe. The service at the restaurant was excellent at every visit. Housekeeping service was fine, though the turndown service was hit-or-miss, one night bottles of water were left, no service one night, service with no water another, a knock on the door at 10:30 p.m. -though the do not disturb sign was out, one night. Husband said gym at the PM was one of the best used at a hotel. Gym and Spa at the Princess are wonderful, but keep in mind a 15% service charge is added that is not the gratuity to the therapist. Also I bought something in the spa shop thinking it was 74.00 pesos (about US$7) but when converting receipt later discovered the price tag must have been in US$ and it was actually $74! Stunned, I researched online and actual price of item would have been US$50. So make sure you check if price is given in pesos or US$ before you buy. The WalMart is a long walk, but the PM has a deli that was reasonable and you can find water in the gym and spa. Take a day trip to Taxco (booked from home through Viator)--a charming town with lots of history, worth the drive. Prices are not necessarily a bargain for high-end silver though there are some wonderful designs. Plenty of lower priced souvenirs if you need those though."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of April 2006

Excellent Quiet Resort

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We stayed from March 25, 2006 until April 1, 2006. We were a large group that occupied four rooms. My wife and I went with our three kids, age range 1 to 11. The resort has three pools. The furthest north pool is heated and very warm. Young ones like the area near the stairs. The main pool has a nice area of shallow water for kids. There is plenty of areas for kids. The pools at the Princess Resort was a lot of fun.

Since we were with kids, we went to the buffet at La Teraza for dinner. We found the food to be fair, but nothing stood out. We liked the buffet at the Princess Resort much better since it had a better selection, had a musical group, and was more geared to kids. Overall, we thought the food was fair to good, but we noticed a lack seafood at the buffets. We did not think the food matched up to the prices charged, except at the ala carte restaurants.

The help was very pleasant. The towel service and poolside service was great. The weather could not be better. My wife and I liked the resort. The resort was incredibly clean. Our kids enjoyed it tremendously. The resort does not have the bells and whistles geared towards kids, but they can have an excellent time."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of April 2006

WOW !! Great Place

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We just returned from the Pierre Marques. What a great trip. My wife & i were on a charter golf vacation with 200 other golfers & non-golfers. Upon our arrival i was impressed with the service, clean grounds & great staff. Our room was always kept clean for us. The golf was excellent. We had access to the Acapulco Princess as well as the Pieree Mareques golf course. If you want a fun, no hassle day of golf play the Princess. The Marquez is a better golf course & much more challenging. The golf staff at both courses really makes you feel appreciated & wanted. Tabachin restaruant is a must during your stay. The buffet provided is good, but got a bit old after a week. For a dinner change, try the Kookaburra near Acapulco city. The view alone is worth the price. Skip the cliff diver show. Not much to see there, just about 6 divers & it is over in 20 minutes."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of February 2006

Classy resort

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This was our third consecutive year at the Pierre Marques. The service at the hotel is excellent. Many members of the Fairmont team knew us by name and made us feel extremely welcome.

We stayed in a oceanfront junior suite which was fabulous. The only downside was a small bathroom. Big deal!

Tabacin was a great restaurant. We ate there one night. We went into town most evenings to eat at places like Su Casa, Pipo's and El Zorrito (best Mexican food in the city).

It's best to find a local cab driver then to use the cabs at the hotel, which are a little pricey.

We will definitely return to this destination. It's become a yearly tradition."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of February 2006

The Low-Key Acapulco Resort

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"My wife and I spent 4 nights at the Pierre Marques in early January 2006. This site was helpful in selecting this hotel, since it was our first visit to Acapulco. So, I thought I'd add our impressions for future first-time visitors.

LOCATION: The hotel is less than 10 minutes from the airport, and on the edge of town. Although there is a lot going on with the 2 Fairmont resorts there, it feels like you are somewhat isolated from the rest of Acapulco - which is just what we wanted. The resort is lower key and more elegant than the huge Princess next door.

ROOMS: We had a deluxe ocean view. The room was recently renovated and well furnished. It was not huge, but pretty standard in size with a little patio. The bathroom was marble and nice sized. The room was not Four Seasons luxurious, but was just fine for a beach vacation.

The buildings at this resort are somewhat dated on the outside but fully renovated and modern inside.

The public areas are open air, except for part of the Tabachin restaurant, part of the bar, and the handy/inexpensive deli. Very nice public areas - again, low key and elegant.

BEACH: The beach is VERY wide and the water very warm (even in January), if a bit rough. It is a public beach, but the Fairmont has roped off an area with chairs, palapas, and drink service.

POOLS: There are 2 medium sized pools on the beach and 1 medium sized pool that I think is near the parking lot and water treatment plant - there was never anyone at that pool. The 2 main pools on the beach have drink and food service and plenty of chairs. The Princess has several large pools, swimup bar, waterslide, etc.

FOOD: Tabachin is formal and expensive; Terrazza is casual and more affordable, with ocean views. It is mostly a buffet restaurant. We also ate at several restaurants at the Princess for variety and a change of scenery. The Beach Club under the palapa looks out onto the ocean and has good casual food. The deli has affordable snacks and drinks. We went to dinner at Baikal near Las Brisas (cab 115 pesos) and it was amazing, with a view to match, but pricey (most entrees 350 to 500 pesos).

DRINKS/SERVICE: Pricing is as you would expect from an upscale resort, with plenty of servers to get you whatever you need.

CROWD: In early January, most guests were well-healed residents of Mexico City. After Mexican schools resumed Jan. 9, it was mostly middle-aged Americans on golf packages, who tended to be noisier.

All in all, a very nice place that is quite affordable and guarantees you hot weather all year round. Having the Princess next door affords you the best of both worlds."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of January 2006

Elegant and relaxing!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My family,the three of us,had not had a resort vacation before coming to the Pierre Marques.We enjoyed a low key,uncrowded,elegant vacation.There were plenty of available poolside chairs any time of the day.I would suggest the meal plan as thing add up. Arrange a tour of Acapulco including cliff divers for a fun informative day. We would love to return and recommend this beautiful resort to anyone looking for elegance and relaxation!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

Some good, some bad

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for a week on our honeymoon. We are both seasoned travelers and my comments are based upon experience.

The staff at the PIerre is excellent in terms of service. The rooms are adequate. When I made the reservation it was for an upgraded ocean view room with a king size bed. I stated it was our honeymoon hoping to get one of the better rooms in this class. It seems we did not despite the fact that they were not busy that week, but after the first night I talked to the front desk and they let us move to a larger room that was better situated for the same price. The bathrooms are small and the furnishings are a little shabby, but overall a nice room.

Things to be aware of: You have to pay approx. $10 a day to use their crappy fitness facility. You have to pay approx. $18 a day to use the internet. We were not informed of this in advance. I also, much to my surprise, paid $18 for a cocktail at the Pierre Bar.

The Tabachin restaurant there is excellent and I highly recommend it if you like fine dining and creative gourment food. The wine list is also good and reasonably priced. La Terraza is hit or miss. We had a nachos appetizer from there which I think had been sitting under a mound of cheese for too long and made the chips soggy. I sent it back stating that it was really bad but they didn't take it off the bill, which was disappointing.

We played golf at the Pierre and enjoyed the course. One time I rode instead of playing with my husband and they changed us approx $25 for me to do so, without pointing it out to us. I later protested and they took it off the bill, but beware that they have a habit of not clearly posting fees or explaining them to you. We also played the Princess course and it was not as good as the Pierre. We also played over at Tres Vidas and all I can tell you is don't unless you want to throw your money away. Once you get there and your taxi has left they inform you you must also hire a caddie. We were also told we would get a discount because we were Pierre guests and then never got it. We were extremely angry.

The PIerre seems to be one of the best hotel resorts in Acapulco, but always ask up front how much something is going to cost and if you're not happy don't be afraid to protest and ask to have it removed from your bill. Also, you're farther away from downtown where the other attractions and restaurants are so you will pay more for taxis to get to those things."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Best golfing vacatin I've had ever

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My whole stay at the Pierre was excellent. I was there with a golfing group and from the minute we stepped onto the hotel lobby till the time we left, we had a great time. We went all inclusive food and drinks and that was what we got. Received free drink upon entering the lobby, check in was efficient and quick. Luggage and Golf bags whisked to our rooms immediately. Great food and selection was excellent. Ate our meals usually in a terraced area with a view of the ocean and beach. Ate twice at the Tabachin...a must. Service was above average and staff were super friendly and we got to know many of them individually. The golf course at the Pierre Marquez was great with fast greens and the Acapulco Princess greens were bit slower but still nice. OUr room had a balcony with a view of the ocean and surf. No complaints as a few small things happend and when we notified the hotel, staff came quickly and fixed it immediately with a smile. My only complaint is that I registed myself as a Fairmount President's Club member months before the trip but did not get a membership card and I see no apparent benefits to being a member. No room upgrades, no free newspapers, etc. Join if you want but don't expect any extras during your stay. Otherwise, Pierre Marquez provided my golfing buddies (over 100 of us stayed) with a wonderful vacation. Oh yes, its quiet and most of the people staying are more the middle age to senior crowd so if you want the younger scene, stay at the Princess. There was a Harley Davidson convention in town during our stay and they went to the Princess...but plenty of security so no worries. Bring plenty of $1 dollar bills for tipping. When you break a large bill at the hotel, you will get money back in Pesos and not US dollars."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of November 2005