Exterior view

Good

first time at hotel

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have been to Acapulco may times and love the overall atmosphere. I found the Crowne Plaza to be pleasant but very understaffed in all areas, especially front desk. The pool area is great, but alot of the other facilities are under construction/renovation or old and decrepad. The lobby is very nice and entertaining in the evenings. I would go back but would first query the status of ongoing renovations. Jan 20-27/05"

• Travel date: 6th February 2005

So and so.

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"The complaints I have are as follows; 1. This hotel does not meet 4 star standard as is. ( Our travel agent said it was actually a 5 star rating. ) A lot of renovations seem to be going on and perhapps someday it will be, but not as is. This is a serious missrepresentation of this place and customers should be compensated for because of it. 2. My trip included 3 adults, but the room accessories ( chairs, towels, bathroom accessories, coffee, etc. ) provided were only sufficient for 2 persons. We constantly had to ask every day for the extra sets. You think they would have made a note of it after a few days and correct the problem? No! 3. At my check out, they informed me, that I had an 85 pesos charge for whiskey sours, which they said were not included in the "All Inclusive" package. Not sure if I had them or not, but every time we ordered drinks the waiter asked if we were all inclusive. At no time were we informed, that this drink is not included, otherwise we would have changed the order. What other way would we know what is and is not included? 4. The constant request for signature after the food and drinks was a source of bother, but not a real issue. Although I was very apprehensive of signing each time as I felt there was risk in doing so. Not everyone feels conformable signing bills without knowing the contents or the legal consequences for it."

• Travel date: 16th January 2005

From Costa Club to desaster Crowne Plaza

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"I agree with all the above comments I'd like to add, that they didn't give us a bracelet for All inclusive staff. We were 2 adult and 2 children of 16 and 11. Our son of 11 had to have our signature to get a hamburger for lunch!!! My husband is from Spain and speak their language, he had to speak with different staff member to fix different stupid situation. Every time you get a beer or anything, they want you to sign...our 11 years old was not allowed to sign, until my husband got really upset... We were there from dec 27th to jan 10th. It was our second stay in this hotel. When we went in 2001 it was Costa Club and we really enjoy every minute of it. Quantity and diversity of food was excellent. This time the buffet Los Caracoles had little choice, not too good food Some night we reserved for the restaurant, they had no wine left, we ask for wine list, we did'nt mind to pay , they told us they don't have everything on the list..lbla bla bla....we didn't order anything. We learned that they fired half of the staff in mid december !! Smart... We reconized some of the waiter from 4 years ago, they told us that if they don't make people sign the bill, even all inclusive, they have to pay it themself. Very strict management with the staff, so you have unhappy waiter. We reserved a Bahia Suite, we got there at 11;00 at night. They gave us a little room with two small bed ( we are 4) we went back to the reception and thats were we start to fight to get what we paid for...We got our suite.. The New years eve party was in our all inclusive package they told us it was not, but like I said talking the language (spanish) my husband could find out the truth. It was in all inclusive package. That evening was a mess anyway, they book too many people at our table and they had to relocate some people at the other end of the beach, when there was a table just beside us with all of there family!! What a poor organisation We met an Italian couple from Toronto who is going there for 22 years. This year is the last time. In addition, if you go to a banking machine, you get 500 pesos denomination, (which is about $50) Try to change it at the reception desk. They don't have change for $50.....I wanted to use the internet, i had only this 500 pesos,,,they didn't want to change it, and I told them, your are telling me you don't have change for $50...at the Crowne Plaza hotel, one of the supervisor looked at me and told me in a very rude manner ''wait I'm busy'' and I'm not a rude person, I really don't get their service, it seems that they don't care...They will loose a lot of business. Everybody we talked to , felt the same, they won't go back to this hotel. I really love Acapulco and the weather, never going back to this hotel I will try EL CANO', the review are fantastic, and we met some people that were at that hotel, and they loved it. We didn't let this ruin our vacation, we went out for dinner many times and the weather was incredible...Go to Acapulco, not this hotel Ciao,"

• Travel date: 15th January 2005

we love the crowne plaza

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"we go to acapulco every year for a winter vacation,the crown plaza is one of the best hotels on the beach.we always receive a warm welcome upon arrival. the staff is always eager to please, and very accomiadating.the rooms are very nice and clean, each room has a magnificant view may it be day or night, but i must say the night view is out of this world.we have gone both all-inclusive and ep plan you cant go wrong no matter which plan you may choose. crowne plaza has the best beach on the strip,and is walking distance to most all the hot spots in acapulco. every type of shopping is either across the street or a few blocks away.no matter were you want to go in acapulco it is not expensive for a cab ride.we have never had a bad experience at the crowne plaza and we have been going to this hotel for the past 20 years we have seen a lot of changes in both the hotel and acapulco and can only say it only gets better. the crowne plaza has the best of every thing at your finger tips,accomidations,location ,shopping,beach,close to all restaurants and attractions. acapulco has the best weather in mexico you can always count on the weather beeing perfect."

• Travel date: 15th January 2005

Fear Is Not A Factor For You !!!!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I just returned from the Crowne Plaza ( Costa Club) having stayed for the first week of January 2005 First of all let me say, I'm not a novice when it comes to Acapulco, having been going for the last 7 years consecutively. So I'm upset with myself that I did not check Trip Advisor prior to booking, the rational being every brochure stated this was a 5***** delux resort. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING!, could be further from the truth. Not only do I fully agree with the other recent reviews I have plenty to add. The FOOD: The buffet was absolutely disgusting, revolting and not even close to a "Dog's Brekfast" as I don't believe any canine, regardless of how starved, would eat this. Numerous people were getting sick and for the first time ever visiting Mexico, I had to use the pepto. If you can eat this food, then fear is truly not a factor for you. As for service, it was not my imagination, as I spoke to numerous guests who agreed, the majority of staff do not like Canadians and Americans. The level of rudeness, arrogance and resentment is palpable. I have never felt anything quite like it. As for service at the front desk, you could wait as long as 30 minutes and they will ignore you. You have a better chance of running into Jimmy Hoffa on the the beach, then you do of being served. It is absolutely fradulent to classify this establishment as a 5 star resort. There is No late night Taco Bar, No Spa, No functioning Jacuzzi. Having been to many different Acapulco Hotels, at best on a good day this is maybe 2 and one half stars. The only redeeming quaility was the al carte restaturants which were close to 4****, however you were only entitled to 4 meals total during your stay, otherwise it was the dreadful buffet. The weather was 5* as usual in Acapulco and next time I will stay at the Copacabana where I have so many times. Please take my advice, for me it was an expensive painful lesson learned."

• Travel date: 14th January 2005

Wont be Going Back

Reviewed 9th October 2012

"My husband and I along with 3 other couples spent a week a the Crowne Plaze in Feb. 2002. Our room was so- so, very old and needed some updating. The food was alright - the Pasta restaurant was very good. The swimming pool area was good but we preferred to go to the adults only area where no kids were allowed and there is a pool bar. The staff were friendly however one of the wives in our group had her jewellery stolen from her room when they were cleaning. The front desk wasnt very helpful in this situation. Entertainment was ok in the evenings. We got a great deal on this vacation package but wouldnt have paid the full price."

• Travel date: 14th January 2005

acapulco grand plaza nightmare on costera miguel aleman ave

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"re holiday crowne plaza acapulco nov 2004. for the last three years we have holidayed at the costa club have been very happy and full of praise for this hotel and staff,this year under the name of crowne plaza it turned out to be the worst holiday of our lives,when we arrived they hadnt got our booking which was made in febuary 2004 after twenty four hours of traveling thats the last thing one needs, we where dumped into rooms till the morning been a midnight arrival. next morning we found the hotel full of workmen the refurbishment was months behind what a mess and the noise welding banging till 21/00hrs,the managment and staff were a waste of space. we flew home early thanks to aero mexico and british airways, we are very bitter about the crowne plaza, we love acapulco in fact one of the taxi drivers commented we are friends of acapulco.and we made sure we didnt spend our money bringing home $2000 dollars and 20.000 pesos which wasnt fair on the people acapulco they didnt do us any harm but been so bitter at the crowne plaza it was our frame of mind. we have since had e mail from tripadvisor and their are lots of unhappy people like us and they have been after our dates. we hope people think twice before booking there,we have made lots of complaints to crowne plaza at different offices no reply back, also found that it is owned by intercotinental hotels group and they signed an agreement with mexico nov 2004, so we contacted them still know reply , nobody wants to know.our booking agent Area travel st george Utah tried but like us no reply so their will be no more acapulco for us again,its sad really but the bittererness is still there. and been sitxty five we took our son and friend as my retirement treat and they hated it"

• Travel date: 11th January 2005

Americans -- beware!

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"We just spent a week at the Crowne Plaza in Acapulco -- me, husband, 3 adult children. We paid for a 4-star hotel, but received 2-star facilities. Of the amenities listed on their web site, these are the ones that were non-existent: 1. No activities desk or concierge. Since absolutely nobody at the hotel, including any front desk people, spoke English, there was no one to direct questions to. We had a heck of a time finding out just which restaurants and bars were included in the all-inclusive (the bar on the beach was not!). There was no brochure listing services, bars, restaurants, hours they were open, nothing. 2. There were only 2 bars, not 4. 3. No mini bars in the rooms. Also, there was sand on the floor in the room when we checked in, and it continued to accumulate during our week stay. I wore flip flops at all times! 4. No spa, no sauna or steam room, which was a big disappointment for us. The nearest spa was at the Hyatt by the airport. The airport may be only 25 miles away, but it's a good hour taxi ride with all the traffic. 5. No boogie boards. 6. No late taco bar. We were there over New Year's Eve, and every restaurant except 1 buffet was closed. The New Year's Eve dinner wasn't included in our all-inclusive and we didn't think $100 extra per person (that would have been $500 for the 5 of us) was worth it -- even if we did, we couldn't charge it to our room. In fact, nothing could be charged to our room -- not even room service. Cash only! We're not that picky about food and don't expect American-style wherever we go, but the food selection was pretty limited -- about 1/10 of the choices that we had last year in Cancun. Nobody starved, but we certainly didn't gain weight. Again, definitely not 4-star quality OR quantity! We found out that a major highway between Mexico City and Acapulco recently opened, allowing easy access to Acapulco by lots of middle-class Mexican families. Terrific for them, and I'm happy that the Mexican economy is improving -- however, Acapulco tourism seems to be about 90% Mexican families and 10% American/Canadian now. Our hotel certainly didn't think it necessary to have any English-speaking services for us 10%! In conversations with other English-speaking guests, none of us plan to ever return -- we didn't feel UNwelcome, but we didn't exactly feel welcome either. We were just pretty superfluous. There were some positives -- fabulous weather (warmer than Cancun) and pretty beach. The hotel is literally across the street from a big mall and also a huge native handcrafts market. Never had to take a taxi to go shopping. The boat ride to see the cliff divers was fun. Golf at the 9-hole course just down the street was pleasant and not horribly expensive ($40 pp for 9 holes). Bungy jumping was a 4-block walk away (huge plus for the young men). All in all, I would rate the Crowne Plaza a 2 star hotel at best. There's nothing wrong with a 2-star hotel, except that we PAID for a 4-star hotel! The Crowne Plaza and all travel agents need to be alerted that their web site is highly misleading."

• Travel date: 6th January 2005

Great Weather but that`s ALL

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"I agree with the gentleman who left the review on January 3rd, 2005. In fact, I was on the same flight for the same stay. The weather was awesome.....32-33 degrees everyday and I also saw just one cloud which was on xmas morning. Would I ever go back to Acapulco??? Yes because the bay is beautiful but I will NOT go back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel!!! When I booked my vacation I requested a 4+ Star (to ensure food quality and room cleanliness for my family) and this resort came up so I booked the trip for myself, my husband and my 2 boys (10 and 11 yrs old). Well, this resort is NOT a 4+ star and maybe a 2.5* The food was not the best and there was little selection, by I also stuck to the safe foods such as pasta, rice and potatoes. My best meal was breakfast every morning at the Los Arcos restaurant once I found out I could order an omelet and toast from the kitchen. One of my boys got sick on the Tuesday night and didn`t eat a bite until we got on the flight back home, he just couldn`t stand the smell of the buffet restaurant so he sat outside by the pool while the rest of us went in to have a little dinner. Thank goodness for immodium, ALL of us needed it!!!!! I`ve travelled to Cancun twice now (2002 and 2003) and we didn`t need to take anything at all, not even Pepto Bismal, but at the Crown Plaza, you definately need it. Don`t leave home without it! The safety deposit box in our room was broken so not much security for our personal belongings. The room was fairly clean, the maid just left sand on the bathroom floor after the 3rd day of our arrival. The pools need a BIG chlorine shock (couldn`t see my feet through the water), but the waterfalls pool (near the pool bar) was the nicest and refreshing. The bay of Acapulco is absolutely beautiful and I would like to return someday. As I mentioned earlier, the weather is almost always guaranteed to be awesome, apparently it only rains once or twice a year (so to speak). The ocean was ok, not the beautiful beaches of Cancun, the sand is rocky, hot and brown. The ocean had a quick and BIG dropoff about 5 feet from shore so definately dangerous for kids (in my opinion). But the weather was GREAT!!! :-)"

• Travel date: 5th January 2005

Weather is Great, but that's about it!

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Myself and wife and 2 friends went there over x-mas -dec 24-31 2004. asked for joining rooms through travel agent before leaving, got there and they did not have any rooms together or on the same floor even. Yet all rooms have a joining door on them and it has 28 floors. After trying for a couple of days to get a joining room we gave up. To get to speak to someone at the front desk takes forever and only one went a little out of there way to try and help out of all of them. All the staff are very good at not trying to do their job. I will say there are a couple that are good, "Orlando" in the mexican a-la-catre comes to mind, and "Jorge" at the pool bar. We had all-inclusive, but no cattle tags on your wrist. The tags would have been better, every time you got a drink they would ask your room number, write it down or look it up on a sheet of paper that had your info on it, or a few times look it up on the computer screen, always something different. They also have non-inclusive also, which i think is wrong because the staff will cater more to the non-inclusive because they always have to pay and that means more tips, or they are told to look after the others better because the hotel is getting more money? We had reservations for the Itatian restaurant, the girl at the restaurant when we arrived said its full. We complained to another person at the restaurant and he said wait 10 min. (thats no problem) and a table will open up. they seat us, we look around and there is 5 tables empty, and no one came out while we waited. This goes back to look after the non-inclusive theory. When ordering drinks, dont expect strawberry margaritas, they have no strawberrys and very few, i mean very few bananas. Sol beer is free but Corona is extra $$. A number of people got sick during our stay, and not the usual "i will never drink that much again" sick. The 'runs' and throwing up. We however did not get sick, a little sun stroke one day- its hot and not a cloud in the sky! We stuck to 'safe foods' -french toast, pasta, and paid the extra 10 bucks for the a-la-cart steak (the rib eye was pretty good). Some were looking forward to the airline food on the way back, and Domino's pizza never stopped delivering to the lobby. The rooms are clean and the over all hotel is clean also. Some rooms had no T.V. or no safe and the safety deposit boxes in the lobby were all taken. Some were told to put their passports in their luggage and lock the luggage. (And BUSH blames us Canadians for being lax with security!!!) As for the beach, its small but so are all the hotel's beaches, the water is warm and has some garbage floating on top ( thats Acapulcos problem not the hotels) The weather is great, hot, no rain, and only clouds one day for 1 hour for our week. The nights are very warm too. To sum it all up: The weather is the best thing (and only??) that Acapulco has going for it. Bring 'pepto' and hope you have an iron gut. Did i mention that the weather was great?"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2005