Good

Nice hotel relative to price paid

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We travelled to Acapulco for an intensive Spanish language course, and this was one of the recommended hotels to stay at. We ended up booking it due to competitive rates found online. The hotel is in the midst of a big face-lift, and if the lobby bathrooms and the external balconies of the new units are any indication, it will be an amazing 4 or 5 star resort when done. For now, I would have to agree with the 3 star ratings that we consistently found online. The rooms are older but well maintained and clean. We had an upper room, and had no issues with smells, A/C, or noise. Our shower did tend to flood, and the water pressure was so good, we had to be careful not to get water all over the bathroom floor! The pool area was nice, but crowded. The breakfast was delicious, especially the Sunday buffet with fresh-squeezed tropical juices, but overpriced compared to nearby restaurants. Compared to what we saw in Acapulco, this is one of the nicer reasonably priced establishments. We would consider staying here again if we ever came back."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of February 2010

Wonderful staff . . . tired rooms

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Fourteen of us stayed at the Grand Hotel for one week. My husband and I had a deluxe room on the 12th floor. Everything (fridge, a/c, etc.) worked and we had lots of hot water and great water pressure. Our room had a lovely view of the bay from the balcony. It was interesting to watch the cruise ships come and go. We even had a large walk-in closet where we stored the suitcases. Something we had never run into before . . . we had to insert our room key card into a slot and leave it there for the lights and air conditioning to work. There was no hair dryer in the room but when requested, it was brought immediately. The beds were very firm but comfortable and the cleaning staff was thorough. Several of the top floors (15 and up) have been renovated but were more expensive.

You can use the hotel's safety deposit boxes (free) which are located behind the reception desk. They require both your key and the master key to open. You have to sign in each time you use your box. Seemed very secure for passports, travel documents, extra cash, etc.

The pool areas were clean and had lots of lounges but food/beverage service there was quite pricy. The beach area was fun . . . lots of locals selling goods. Had the breakfast buffet once. It was handy, but expensive if you're not a big eater. Great breakfasts at 100% Natural just across the street and a few blocks down.

The Grand Hotel is in a great location. Walmart is a short walk if you need anything. There are lots of restaurants within easy walking distance. Be very careful crossing the streets. The pedestrians don't seem to have many rights there. The "party" buses go up and down the main street and are only 5 pesos to ride . . . an interesting experience. The yellow buses are quieter, air conditioned and are 6 pesos.

The staff were very pleasant, professional and helpful. Some could speak quite good English and the ones who couldn't did a lot of smiling and nodding."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of February 2010

Huge Hotel but NOT 5 star

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"This was the former Hyatt, a very old hotel built in the early sixties. It's huge but the rooms, although big and clean, are old in decor. We heard the hotel is currently under a major refurbishment process. Apparently the rooms in the top floors are new and refurbished, unfotunately we got a room in the lower floors that are still old fashioned.
The Hotel is very well located, close to major atractions, restaurants and bars.
The swimming pool is fantastic wirh a great view of the Acapulco Bay.
Te Hotel doesn' t allow you to bring in any food or drinks and if you want to use the minibar you have to pay $5 USD
Wireless Internet costs $4 USD an hour"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of January 2010

Wonderful customer service and beautiful views

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My husband and I fell in love with this hotel when we went searching for a wedding reception site in Nov. '08 & decided to book the area near the pool (when it was still the Hyatt). Well, imagine our surprise when we returned for our wedding in October '09 to find that pool area gone, only leaving a construction site behind. Although there is another pool area, the scenery just wasn't the same. When we checked into our room, it was pretty plain, but the kicker was that we had a lovely view of that horrible construction site. (what do you want for 65/night) We decided to upgrade to a suite and let me tell U it was amazing & totally worth it! The view was so much better & the balcony stretched all the way around to the other side of our corner room. The bed was super comfy and the a/c worked well, although you had to pay about $4 or $5/day to use the fridge, which kind of felt like a rip-off. There was a Starbucks across the street & we ate quite frequently at the 100% Natural" restaurant b/c the food quality and price couldn't be beat. (there were about 30 of us staying at the Grand Hotel) There's a woman vender across the street who sells AMAZING tacos every morning (we ate there almost every morning & no one got sick) & the location of the hotel was perfect for us. I hate to admit it, but the ocean wasn't particularly clean in this area, so we didn't get in, but my brother stayed down the street at Fiesta Americana where the ocean was much cleaner for swimming. We ate at all 3 of the restaurants here, and they were all very tasty, but a bit pricy. They had pozole night on Thursday (I think it's a regular occurrence) and EVERYONE loved the food (we had a table of 30 and got a group rate). Our waiter, Alajandro, was AMAZING.. so helpful, spoke English pretty well, and took care of all our needs w/ patients... I also need to mention Mary Seguro, the wonderful concierge who took care of everything we needed (which was quite a lot), our trip would not have been so unbelievablely smooth and fun w/o her..she was so kind to us &is considered an invaluable asset to this hotel!
As I mentioned before, this hotel is in the middle of a huge renovation, but I truly believe it will be absolutely stunning when they finish! None of us ever heard disturbing noise from this renovation, but we were a little disappointed they weren't finished by the time of our stay. Overall, everyone was happy w/ their rooms and their stay, although one couple had difficulties w/ Travelocity who never contacted the hotel w/ their travel reservations. And that ugly construction site I mentioned before, well the hotel bent over backwards to make sure we were happy with our wedding reception area..they put us on the beach & gave us lots of extra perks... and in my opinion, the new site on the beach was so much more stunning and inolvidable (unforgettable)!! We will DEFINATELY be back...."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of January 2010

NOT WORTH THE FIVE STARS

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"This hotel is not a five star as we expected it to be. They managed to forget to send the transport to pick us up from the airport. We were booked in half board for two weekes over the New Year period. On arrival only one person seemed to have any clear knowledge of the english language. We were booked into a standard room (the first three floors). We were not happy with the room, so got ourselves upgraded to a de-luxe room, (floors 4 to 9), and this was at the front of the building overlooking the Bay. Not much difference in the rooms apart from that. The recceptionist wanted to hold a 4000 peso guarantee on my credit card against any services, but was unable to get the guarantee, and managed to wipe the magenticc stripe clear at the same time. Fortunately for me, they failed to get the guarantee.

The restuarant didnt have the evening buffet available, so we had to eat a-la-carte for the two weeks, apart from one night when there was no evening dinner available at all. Guests have to sign for the meals taken (fair enough), but on three occasions after signing for the meal, I was told that there was no guarantee against our room number, so had a 'conversation' with the restuarant about us being half board and not having to pay for the evening meal... On one occasion I was telephoned in our room an hour after we had finished, and had to return to the restuarant to sort it out, on this occasion I complained to the duty manager, who assuredd me the same mistake would not happen again.

The rooms are sparsely furnished, with NO iron, or facility to make a refreshment at all. On approaching the receptionist, we managed to have a perculator put into the room (it appears that no one at this hotel has any idea what a kettle looks like,) so that we were able to warm up some water for a cup of tea when we required it. They did manage to let us have an iron and board, though the iron was not up to much. When we were using the shower we were frightened to put the lights on in the en-suite as there was no extractor fan, and the steam would make the electrics flicker and gave us the idea the whole lot would short at any moment. The beds were the hardest we had ever come across, and took a couple of days to get used to.

Having said that, the chambermaids were extremely helpful, athough they did not speak english, and the management need to get their heads round the idea of having english speaking staff available.

The hotel pool and beach were the saving grace of the hotel. The Grand is the first hotel on the front when approaching from the airport, so a bit of a hike anywhere by foot, but because of its location there is a large pool, and beach,(charging 50 peso per day on the beach for a lounger). The drawback is that it appears that many non-guests come to use the facilities so there is a mad dash at 0745 to 0800 to bag the best positions of the loungers around the pool. Beware of the prices charged for drinks and food.

We had a fantastic view of the New Year fireworks, which was well worth the visit. I would say I would be careful not to have Rooms 1 to 9 on the lower floors though, as these are on the side of the hotel which has the main road from the airport running along the back of the building, with a large open air disco across the road, which was noisy even in our room which faced the ocean front.

All in all, the hotel is more expensive than its worth, and in UK standards would probably be a 2/3 star. Great if you have a command of the spanish language, and the food itself was extremely good on the a-la-carte menu, though after two weeks working our way round the menu twice, we were glad to return to the UK and fish and chips."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2010

Do yourself a favor and dont stay here.

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I went to Acapulco for my cousin's wedding. My whole family stayed at this hotel. We had over 20 rooms which included 5 suites.
We all had bad experiences at the hotel.
None of the rooms had irons. No hair dryers.
All our rooms were hot. It’s hot when you step out of your room so the hallways are not air conditioned. The AC was not working properly. I had to call couple of times before someone came up our room to look at the AC Unit. He didn’t speak English and was not able to fix it. I must have called 4 times asking for a fan. They offered to change our room but the room they offered us was also warm. I service was not very good. A few of us actually spoke to the manager about it. We had to call the front desk multiple times to request an iron and hair dryer. My mom's room didn’t have a safe or coffee Maker.
The bathrooms are very old. Very low water pressure. If you still decide to stay here make sure your room is away from the elevator because you can hear them going up and down. We had a 20" old JVC TV in our room. I swear my family had the same TV in 1980's. The telephone is from the 80's. I told my wife that the telephone is older then her. No Free Internet. It was about 150 pesos per day about $15.

Positives about the hotel.
We had a big room and the view was nice.
The food at the restaurant was good.
The suites were big and the AC was working in them.
Decent pool and the hotel is on the beach but the hotel is located at the start of the strip."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of December 2009

EXCELLENT VALUE & SUPERB LOCATION

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"After a visit to Mexico City, we stayed here for four nights and found the hotel to be grand and with luxury touches. We found everything to be of very high quality. Very attentive staff , always courteous but not everyone spoke English, which is something you would expect in a hotel of this quality. A few problems making ourselves understood!

The rooms are being renovated at the moment and that will make it a first class place. The location is excellent, really couldn't be better and the gardens are spacious and pleasant to walk in. The room was very comfortable and the bed excellent. Safety seems to be a priority and we felt very safe here. The food in the cafe-restaurant near the lobby can be recommended and is inexpensive. Nice busy lobby bar with great atmosphere.

The beach area is very glamorous and the pool area peaceful. Our room had a sea view and we enoyed the spectacuar sunsets from our balcony. We would certainly come back to this hotel. A comfortable solid place to stay."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of September 2009

If the pictures are true, it will be Grand

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"In a good location, with attentative staff, especially around the lobby.

The pool area and beach area are excellent and again staff are first class here.

The rooms are very large and clean, mine however had the musty air-conditioner smell that never quite goes away. The furnishings in the rooms are very basic, probably held together by their sixth coat of white paint.......however, its all clean and working.

There is a renovation programme thats supposed to be starting soon, if they refurnish the rooms anything close to the pictures they show, it will become Grand."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

It's OK but there the hotel is not a 5 star as they proclaim

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I was there with my family from May 27 to May 31.
The hotel is OK, the hotel is old and dated. We chose this hotel because of the location and because it was announced as a 5 star hotel. In my oppinion thhis hotel is a 3 star, the sheets were stained and when we asked to be changed they just put another stained set. For the price do not expect a 5 star at all, there was a wedding at the hotel beach and we could hear the music until 1 am."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of June 2009

Great Value

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Just got back from the Grand Hotel from 3/8/2009 to 3/16/2009. The intent was to catch the Spring Break crowd which this hotel did not capture a ton of during our first week. However, that changed on 14th as the wave of people arriving for the next week was significantly larger than our primary week. I personally did not mind this, even at its busiest the pool is no La Palapa or Copa. It gave you the opportunity to relax in the sun without being too involved in what was going on around you. The pool facilities were very nice, the outdoor bar for Happy Hour was busy but the service was slow as could be. Those bartenders really need change for things over 50 pesos.

The hotel facilities were very nice compared to the typical Spring Break facilities. The room service was decent but priced very well. Must all the staff we encountered was pleasant and helpful as well.

As far as location it was right across the street from El Albreje, a 3 minute walk from Walmart and cheap 30-50 pesos cab rides from places like Disco Beach, Mandara and Paladium."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of March 2009