View from balcony by day

Good

Individual, charming, good for family groups

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"Just got back from a 4 night stay at Suites Etel and I was not disappointed. One thing this place is definitely not, and that is a hotel, so if you want dining rooms, organised tours, bars, raucous music, bands, crowds of people etc then look elsewhere. The suites are ideal for a family group (I went with a party of 4 plus 3 mnth old twins) and we found the kitchenette just about adequate - no microwave and no running hot water made sterilising the baby bottle a bit more laborious than it should be, although Etel went out of her way to find a plug-in steam steriliser for us to use. The hotel provides big 20 litre "garrafones" of drinking water for a very reasonable charge, or bring your own (really, it's hardly worth it!). The rooms and bathrooms are authentic 1950s, which is to say they are starting to show their age a little, although they are spotlessly clean and well-looked after. We had no complaints, especially after the leak on our toilet cistern was fixed WITHOUT us having to make a complaint - the staff noticed the problem and dealt with it without prompting, something that I have never experienced in other places I've stayed. The air con in our room was modern and worked very well. That little episode epitomised the attitude of staff and owner, who couldn't have done more to make us feel welcome and looked after. Etel is a charming host, who speaks excellent English, and who is full of advice for places to visit and restaurants to try. The big attraction for us was the view - if there is a better view available for the price in Acapulco then I'd be very keen to see it. With two young babies we knew we'd spend a lot of time in the apartment, and with such a glorious view it was a pleasure to simply sit on the balcony, enjoy the breeze, read a book and relax (TIP - take along a pair of binoculars, there's a real-life soap opera going on every day with the whole city laid out in front of you). The on-site pool is very clean and refreshing, not huge but perfect for a quick dip. Within very easy reach (albeit up and down some steep hills) are the cliff divers of La Quebrada, and some of Acapulco's most reknowned seafood restaurants (e.g. El Amigo Miguel). For self-catering a large supermarket is a short taxi/car ride away, useful for grabbing breakfast supplies. I would thoroughly recommend Suites Etel for those looking for a different flavour of Acapulco, away from the package tours and high-rise hotels. If all you want is everything on-site and a three step stumble to the beach, look elsewhere. If you want a more peaceful holiday in the older part of town with some spectacular views and genuine hospitality, I can't imagine a more pleasant spot. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

a ggreat spot - good value hotel

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"a very pleasant small hotel, mainly one or two bedroom suites with kitchen - great if you've got kids - about US 80 per night for the whole family. Very clean, with a very pleasant atmosphere and helpful friendly staff (and a wonderful owner who speaks excellent english and is a mine of information on acapulco). The hotel is halfway up a (steep !) hill with great views over the bay and the old town, and 5 minutes walk away from acapulcos famous 'la quebrada' rock divers. There is a small childrens pool and a fairly small adult pool, but still shallow enough for children. My kids loved it and spent hours playing in each. The hotel is not luxurious, but thats not the point - its good value - everything worked fine - aircon, fridge stove etc, and all in all was a very relaxing place to stay - highly recommended."

• Travel date: 20th July 2006

Home away from home, condo

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"A two bdrm condo, spotless, marble floors, large balcony overlooking both bay, ocean and the city, with ocean breezes every day. Full kitchen, pool, cable TV, ac,drinking water, friendly staff and owner. WE had been travelling for over a month and wanted to relax away from the noise, congestion, polution, touristas of Mexico, wanted something more like home, and this hit the spot. All the amenties of home. We sat on the balcony each night and admired the beautiful lights of the city, and in the morning, our coffee, watching the sun rise, enjoying the sea breeze, and we even saw whales passing by. We walked over to see the Cliff Divers on several occassions. Corner stores supplied snacks, and taxis, (everywhere and cheap) took us grocery shopping for 25P when we wanted to cook. A beach was another 5 minute ride around the corner. Each day we went out, the owners Mother helped us with our plans (she spoke English and spanish) and greated us each evening when we returned. Reasonable rates and a great spot for travellers who don't want the usual touristy Mexican vacation. Great for long term stays, for families, and we want to return for a month or so next winter. Listed in Lonely Planet as well."

• Travel date: 8th June 2006

Nice, Clean and Charming Hotel !!!

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We went to Etel Suites for the first time last December as per the recommendation of a good friend. We were not dissapointed, we had a lovely family vacation. The apartments are so spacious and clean, the view is spectacular, just walking distance to "La Quebrada" if you want to enjoy the famous dives. We were just going to stay one week at the beginning, but we were so happy we decided to stay another week and the owner, she is so nice and attentive to detail we just felt right at home!! She even gave us a ride back to the bus terminal because we were running so late!! Truly an unforgetable experience and we just plan to keep going to this hotel every time we go to Acapulco!!"

• Travel date: 17th February 2006

Stay was great as usual

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"I have been staying at the Etel for 25 years and have always found it great. This year was a little different, yes it was very noisy but other than that it was great. They have a court battle going on over the building. Yes, one of the pools was closed but we usually just have the one. They made sure that the other pool was open for us to use. The accommodation, view, service and people were just as they always are, GREAT. I'll be going back next year and I'm alreading looking forward to it. We'll have two pools next year."

• Travel date: 9th March 2005

Everything change

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Everything change A new building is under construction in front of the Hotel. It’s a lot of noise, and one of the swimming-pool is closed. I do not recommend this Hotel! [email protected]"

• Travel date: 12th January 2005

Hotel with a Heart

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I have been going there for 3 years, my parents for 30 years, we love the view of old Mexico, the cruise ships and the family atmosphere at the Hotel. Rates are resonable, within walking distance to divers, zocalo, and beaches. Rooms are huge well kept, with a little of the old mexican charm. If you don't want to stay on the strip and would like to experience the real acapulco, stay awhile at this hotel and enjoy."

• Travel date: 24th May 2004

Staying with the people

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"I traveled to Etel back in Jan. 1999. That was my first visit to Mexico and it left a incredible memory. I visited with a family that was friends with the owners of Etel, so needless to say, we had great accomidations and a great staff. What I enjoyed most was that the area was not like a tourist trap. I enjoyed staying up in the mountains with the people and walking down the mountain/hill threw the local area every morning to the bakery. As well, it gave you a great appreciation for what the country is really about. Rather than to just see the tourist area and never see the real life in Mexico."

• Travel date: 12th March 2004

Love the etel!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"this hotel gives you a view of what Mexico really is. away from all of the tourist areas, you can relax by the pool, and view the ocean from the top of the hill. Its very inexpensive, and the best service you can find."

• Travel date: 9th February 2004

Wonderful hotel!

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"The Etel Suites is truly a throwback to Acapulco's golden era. It's up on a hill overlooking the bay and the quebrada area. The service is wonderful, the suites large, airy and immaculately kept. The furnishings look like they're from Elvis' "Fun in Acapulco" days, but they're in great shape. This hotel isn't for you if you want to just walk right to the beach. You have to go down the hill and walk to the costera and catch the bus, or else take a taxi. This made no difference to me, as the charm of Hotel Etel was simply unbeatable."

• Travel date: 29th May 2003