Hermosa vista desde nuestros balcones.

Every way Elcano is # 1

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Stayed for 7 days in March during spring break-3/17-3/24. Was very pleased and happy, was clean and never loud. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. On the beach they have a small area that they will bring you food and drink to you. That was great, you can lay down and tell them what you want and 10 mins. later you have it. Food was good too. Rooms were very clean. A lot of people from Mexico City seem to be staying there and no spring breakers. Of all the hotels close by Elcano is the best one."

• Travel date: 25th March 2006

Enjoyed the Elcano

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We just spent a week at the Elcano Hotel in Acapulco. The location of the hotel was great. The hotel is located on the beach and in the middle of the Costera (The Strip). We could walk to many restaurants or hop the bus (40 cents) to further away places. You can walk to Walmart from the hotel if you forgot some sunscreen. All the hotel rooms face the water. The room had A/C and everything was clean. The beds were a little hard. The hotel has a roped off beach area that was very nice. The beach itself is coarse. The bay water was just ok and not many people were swimming. The hotel also has a pool. The hotel breakfast was great and included in our stay. The breakfast food was international so you could find something you like. We ate most other meals out in town. The margaritas were good. The hotel staff was very friendly. I would go there again and I would recomend the Elcano to a friend."

• Travel date: 21st February 2006

A Fine Week at the Elcano

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"Elcano is definitely one of the nicer hotels along the Costera. I really liked its location. It is located on a less congested area east of the Fiesta Americana Hotel. Once you get west of the Fiesta Americana on the Costera, the traffic congestion gets pretty bad. Clientele of the hotel appears to be of an international nature based on our experience and as represented by the reviews here on TA. We heard Spanish, English, French, and German at the hotel. Our room was good size with a very large balcony that had a fabulous view. The balcony had an unobstructed view right out on to the center of Acapulco bay. The view is particularly amazing at night. The room had two queen beds with very hard mattresses which is typical of Mexico. Furnishings were modern and the bathroom had a powerful shower. A plentiful supply of ice was always available on our floor, somewhat of a rarity at hotels in Mexico. The pool and pool area in general are small and it could use more shade. The pool deck chairs are hard plastic with no pads. I don’t understand why a hotel of this quality would expect their guests to lay on hard plastic while at the pool. However, it was nothing that $24 USD at Walmart couldn’t solve as that’s what my wife and I paid for two chair pads that we used all week at the pool. On the plus side, the pool water was warm and the pool area and beach were very restful. No loud music played all day at the pool. This is probably not the best hotel for spring break partiers. The staff is very efficient and friendly. The front desk seemed to be able to handle any concern of ours effortlessly. The maid service was the best that we have ever had in Mexico. The room was always cleaned by noon and most days within an hour of our leaving in the morning. Midway through our stay our toilet handle broke and the toilet would not flush. Within ten minutes of my call to the front desk, maintenance had come to our room and fixed the problem. The Elcano lobby bar has a duo that plays any sort of dance music that you want. The facilities in the bar are also excellent for dancing. It was a pleasant surprise for nightly entertainment. I highly recommend the Elcano."

• Travel date: 12th February 2006

Nice Clean Friendly

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"We have just returned from a weeks trip to Acapulco staying at the El Cano. Overall i found this hotel to be very good. The rooms are quite spacious and very CLEAN and they all have ocean views. The common/public areas of the hotel are also very well maintained and spotless. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We had the "breakfast included" package and found it to be excellent. Do not opt for the "all inclusive" package, as of course it will become repetitive, besides there are many good restaurants within walking distance. The El Faro restaurant in front of the hotel is fantastic. We ate there twice in one week. Some places list this hotel as 5 star.. it is not...I beleive it is a very good very clean 3 and a half possibly 4 star by American standards. The pool is nice but it is a bit too small for the amount of people it caters for.(Dont even bother trying to do laps). The gym is terrible,what little equipment it does have is rusted and or doesnt work properly. Apart from these two issues the hotel is great! I reccomend it."

• Travel date: 8th February 2006

real nice but not "mexican" enough

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"a friend an i spent 3 nights in el cano in january 2005. we booked the stay over a german agency, so we had to pay only the half price for the room. otherwise, the room would have been much to expensive for the service. the people on the desk seemed to know about our cheap-price-stay, in fact that they were a little bit unfriendly and, one day, they told us that we betrayed ´em when we changed some off our traveler checks! very unprofessional... rooms are big, beds are ok and the location is real great. a small footwalk to good bars and diners, to cici (a waterpark) and a bus station in front of the hotel. a small tipp: take the bus to zocalo, taxi is too expensive ;) and riding the bus is great fun, if you like to see "real" mexicans". the food was not like the mexican stuff we eated in d.f. 2 days before, it was more like the european stuff you will get in hotel around the world. it doesn´t fitted my taste. what to say more about this hotel? the beach is crap (no real sand, more like small stones) and the overall price is very high (espacilly for drinks at the beach, better bring your own). better take one off the small hotels like hacienda maria eugenia"

• Travel date: 2nd September 2005

Loved it!!

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"the El Cano hotel is excellent´, I have stayed here for the past 5 years. I don´t share the view with people who say the food is horrible. I have never been to any hotel in the US or specially Europe that have such a wonderful buffet for breakfast. Second, Acapulco is not a place to stay all day in your hotel. There are so many excellent restaurants around: Suntory, el Zorrito, Madeiras, El Olvido, you name it, they have it , for all pockets and tastes!! We have had paella for lunch or ceviche and it is always fresh and excellent. The rooms are very nice and clean and all rooms have views to the sea. I think for the price you pay it is an excellent option."

• Travel date: 19th August 2005

great hotel

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We stayed July 29 - Aug 5. Good service, clean rooms, helpful staff. The view is spectacular and within walking distance to Cici Waterpark and shopping, yet a little away from the nightlife. The food was good. With only one pool, it would be nice to have another pool for the kiddies, but live and let live. The roped off area on the beach gives you a break from the peddlers. I would be there still."

• Travel date: 5th August 2005

Great view, great hospitality

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Elcano is in a great location in the gulf of Mexico, the view of the bay is breathtaking. This hotel prides itself on it's service. Key signs for me, were the fact that many local companies hold their conferences in the hotel. Pros were food served on the beach and by the pool area, dining area is meticulous, rooms are very clean and location vs. the nightlife is good. I cannot think of any cons except for the fact that they stop the open bar at 10pm..."

• Travel date: 24th July 2005

Good and bad sides to hotel el cano

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"I have just returned from a one week vacation to hotel El cano in Acapulco. We booked the almost all inclusive package which includes all meals and drinks between 11-8pm. I had read all the reviews before leaving and therefore expected a lot from this hotel. I also found this hotel very nice but there are some negatives points that need to be taken into consideration. First, the good points: The hotel is lovely. It is clean and pretty. Staff is efficient (you ask for something and get it right away) and really really friendly. Acapulco is almost always sunny and hot so you can count on getting good weather. The biggest downside is the food. breakfast was very nice and had a lot of diversity (cereal, all sorts of eggs, nice juice, etc.) but the buffet at lunch and in the evening is very limited and bland. We got very tired of the food quickly and could not have stayed at the hotel for two weeks! The food was often cold and because the restaurant is outside, birds feed themselves off the spoons that clients use to dish out the food. I don't know if this is related to my stomach problems that began three days into the vacation. Also, the sand in front of the hotel is very coarse and hurts the feet. The ocean facing the hotel is very rough: the red flag was up all week. We were able to swim however a little further east of the Copacabana hotel (the ocean is quieter there). I would say this is a good choice for people who want to book only bed and breakfast and don't care to swim in the ocean."

• Travel date: 11th March 2005

Fabulous!!

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel in 2003. When we arrived we were given a lovely well decorated standard room & were over the moon with it. However on the second day we were told we needed to change rooms as there was a problem with the room we were in. We reluctantly moved to what we considered an inferior room. It was poorly decorated & there were problems with the air conditioning & toilet. We decided to visit our rep the next day & explain the problems. He wasn't happy & went to speak to the Manager, who informed him that we'd been moved as our room needed decorating! The rep told him this was unacceptable, & when he returned, he advised us that by way of an apology from the Manager we were being moved again....to one of the Penthouse Suites!! What can I say, as rooms go it was amazing! 2 floors, 3 balconies (one with jacuzzi bath), free standing shower upstairs, seperate bath/shower room downstairs & the biggest bed you ever saw! The maid brought us fresh towels every evening. All in all it was lovely, & aside from all the room changing, I cant fault the hotel in anyway. I highly recommend it! Oh I would advise you take some candles with you, as there seem to be a lot of power cuts in Mexico, & its difficult to get ready in the dark!"

• Travel date: 2nd February 2005