The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai

26 Al Mamsha St Jumeirah Beach Residence, Dubai 26525 United Arab Emirates

1910

Just perfect

"I cannot undertsnad why people would give this out-of-this-world hotel a bad review. The construction is noticable yes, however once inside the hotel it is not noticable at all. It was an oasis of relaxation and i cannot rate it highly enough. Friendly staff, wonderful food, stunning resort, very clean, comfortable and cosy rooms and the weather of course was outstanding! Cannot wait to return!"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Great hotel with a great beach!

Good

"I just left a 4 night stay at the Ritz and it was great. I really didn’t want to pay the $500+ a night for business meetings, but most hotels were in the same price range anyway.

I was upgraded to an executive suite (basically 2 rooms put together) and it was great. The only problem I have with the hotel is the layout (both the rooms and the entire building) My suite seemed like it was half a mile away from the lobby and the rooms need double the number of outlets.

The service was great and everyone always had a smile and greeted me by name.

The best part of the hotel was the La Baie Restaurant. The service was perfect, price was fair, and the food unbelievable – I had the best steak of my life there and I’m from Texas!

Overall a great experience, never noticed the construction other than driving in and walking to an adjacent hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of May 2006

Fabulous - especially if you are travelling with young children

Good

"Visited the hotel for 7 days over Easter and once again had a fabulous time. Mercea and all his staff at the beach spa deserve a special mention as do all the staff in the children's club for the excellent entertainment laid on for families over the holiday.

This hotel never disappoints us, this was our sixth visit in five years and the first time our little boy was old enough to spend time in the Kids Club on his own. Absolute bliss. My husband and I enjoyed rediscovering the delights of lazing by the pool with a good book and a CD player for the first time in four years. In fact we couldn't keep our son out of the club and found ourselves asking him if he wanted to go swimming rather than the other way round. Great Easter Egg hunt in the grounds, a magician, a clown and a balloon man all added to the Pied Piper call.

The poster who criticises others for saying that you can't notice the construction is perhaps being a little unfair. Of course you notice it - you can't miss it - but it truly never bothers us. Perhaps that is because we have seen it grow to what it is now from the pictures in the brochure as it was only 5 years ago.

Yes you can hear it, but it is not intrusive. Yes it is dusty, but it always was. Yes the palm trees are dusty too, but they always were, the lack of rain is a contributing factor. Everything in the hotel is spotless and all the rooms are sea facing with double galzing of the highest quality so you can't hear anything - not even the birds - if your balcony door is closed.

We too are lucky enough to enjoy staying in some of the finest hotels and resorts in the world and this hotel has always been one of our favourites. The Hotel is worth visiting for the Friday Brunch alone."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of April 2006

A sensational hotel with impeccable staff

"My wife and I spent an incredible week at the Ritz Carlton and can honestly say that in terms of service, helpfulness and sheer friendliness, we have never experienced anything like it anywhere in the world.

Yes, there is construction work going on in front of the hotel - major construction work! - but the worst is over because all the towers are built and the work is now internal. It would be wrong to say you don't notice it but the noise is minimal and there was certainly not an ounce of dust or dirt in the hotel.

I would recommend upgrading to the Club Room because the food and service provided in it is superb. Six meal presentations a day were of the highest quality and the attentiveness of the staff was beyond reproach...nothing seemed too much trouble and was always followed with what turned out to be the Ritz Carlton catchphrase, 'It's my pleasure' - and they meant it.

If you are travelling without children, take advantage of the tranquility of the Spa pool, it will feel like your own private oasis. Otherwise, the beach is immaculate and the grounds and gardens are wonderful.

We ate in both La Baie and Splendido restaurants and the food was superb with the waiting staff attentive without being overpowering and truly friendly.

Without doubt this a fabulously luxurious hotel which deserves the praise the majority of other reviews have given it. Compared to the Jumeirah Beach and Al Qasr, it is a haven of peace and five star brilliance...we can't wait to return."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of April 2006

Construction nearby

"Whilst I agree that this hotel is absolutely beautiful and the service and cleanliness impeccable, how anyone could say that the construction work going on along this stretch of road did not affect their holiday, I do not know. Their standards must certainly differ from mine and I am sure many others who pay a lot of money to stay in hotels such as the Ritz Carlton and Mirage.
My expectations are high, and as I said before, the hotel cannot be faulted. In fact they are to be congratulated in offering the service they do, in facing such a daunting task of keeping the hotel free from dust and dirt. But anyone going please do not be lulled into a false sense of security by these letters saying the birdsong is louder than the construction and how they enjoyed watching the construction site on Palm Island. It is horrendous! An 80 story building is underway and surrounding it, we decided, they are building a new Manhattan/New York from scratch and all at once. The workers' day is split into 3 eight hour shifts. The thousands of blue overalled workers are bussed in at regular intervals so that the work is continuous. If they are not working ,they are waiting for transport, or arriving. Do not be fooled into thinking you will not notice this, you will.
Entry to the hotels along this stretch of road, is between coned off areas, with what looks like a yellow AA temporary sign with a crooked arrow directing the taxi through the maze of building. You can taste the dust in the taxi as you pass through these sites. If this is what you expect when you stay at these high class hotels, then thats fine by me, but please do not whitewash the construction work for other future tourists. I wish a few more people had been honest in their reviews of this area of Dubai, we could have saved ourselves a lot of money.
Reading back to previous reviews I noticed that there are a small minority of people who have give a candid review. So be warned. The hotel is beautiful, the construction work is not. Have a look at the candid photos which place the construction work in context, not the lovely bathrooms and bowls of fruit!!"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of March 2006

Fabulous Service, but you pay for it!

Good

"The Ritz in Dubai lives up to it's name. The bedroom was large and comfortable and the bathroom was fabulous. We visited in Feb 2006 and had a ground floor room with a patio area leading direct to the gardens and pool. There are 2 separate pool areas - I recommend the Spa pool for peace and quiet - there were lots of families with small children at the main pool so it was quite noisy. The beach is lovely with beds, towels, waiter service etc. The staff are excellent - friendly and attentive without overdoing it. Everyone says "hello" and is willing to help you. We had a wonderful few days here. Just a few things which niggled. Firsly, the cost in the hotel. A pint of lager was about £10. We paid £130 for a bottle of Cloudy Bay wine on the first night before we had got the exchange rate properly worked out! However, we accepted that quality like this comes at a price - just be ready to pay it! The food was good in the hotel but we had great meals everywhere we went - lots of salads, lebanese dishes and fish. We had heard that Dubai is a building site but we were unprepared for the extent of the building. There is an extensive site across the road from the hotel (which wasn't very noisy or dirty so didn't bother us) and everywhere there are new roads and enormous developments. We got no sense of what Dubia is about because everything is still being built. The hotel is a long way from the city and it took over an hour to get into the city by taxi because of the traffic. We were disappointed with the souk - just streets of jewellery shops. Treat it as a beach holiday with great weather - just accept that it could be anywhere in the world."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Fabulous service with a smile

"We have just returned from a short stay at the Ritz Carlton, Dubai. As already discussed by a previous guest; there is construction directly behind the hotel, however this is now well on its way and the disturbance was minimal and really did not impact on our stay at all. We were staying on the the club level that has its own lounge, where food was available all day; from breakfast to a light dinner. This was always beautifully presented and very fresh. The service we received whilst in the lounge and in the rest of the hotel was really excellent, with all the staff very friendly. The whole hotel was beautifully presented. it is not a huge hotel and this was definately in its favour as even when the hotel was fully booked (as it was during our stay), there was always plenty of room by the pool, in the beautiful gardens and on the huge private beach, no rushing to get a sun lounger! I would definately recommend this hotel and will definately be returning."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of February 2006

Very good but in front of 10 towers under construction !

"All the staff and the service of the hotel were perfect but the 10 towers under construction just behind the hotel made noise, dust and awful background ! When you are at the swimming pool, you ear the noise, when you open your window, you touch the chairs where there dust. It is not quiet outside.
The whole city of Dubai is under construction just go there to do shopping but not to have a rest !"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2005

Sad to read the negative reviews

Good

"I'm saddened to read the negative reviews that have been posted for the Ritz Carlton. We stayed there in June 2004 and have to say it was wonderful - mainly thanks to the staff who went out of their way to provide a courteous and efficient service. Most of the building works were to the front of the hotel and we had to do a kind of slalem through a building site in the taxi. But, our room was at the rear of the hotel facing the pool and ocean so it was peaceful. Indeed, we found the whole ambience of the hotel restful and comfortable.We did think the a la carte restaurant to be a little pricey but were content with paying the extra for 2 lovely meals and comfort, peace and quiet. I had caviar and smoked salmon starters one night and my wife opted to forego a starter because she favoured a sweet. So she wouldn't "feel alone", she was brought out a taster of the dish to accompany me - a very considerate touch. This level of service was maintained throughout our stay by everybody and we feel we must give a special mention to the House Manager, Ned, who saw to it that we received a particular sweatshirt that was ordered during our stay and dispatched to England. Oh yes - the beds. The best we've ever had and in a good sized and well equipped room overlooking the ocean. The pool area was uncrowded with plenty of shade and a reasonably priced snack bar. Through the gardens was direct access to the uncrowded beach. So, great memories of (what we consider) a great hotel and one we plan to visit again when the dust has settled."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of December 2005

Nice but overrated

"We stayed at the Ritz Carlton as the tail end to our honeymoon (5 days). We had specifically asked for an early check in (as we arrived at 5am), but did not get this, the hotel was full so this was understandable however, we were left sitting in the spa reception area with no idea of how long we were to wait or where we could clean up/change etc. An american couple ended telling us where we could go.

We eventually got our room which was lovely, with pleasant views over the pool area.

I was told by two people previously that the Ritz Carlton beds were the most comfortable beds you will ever encounter. This is true if you sleep on your back as the mattress raises up at the foot end and moulds around you...but if you sleep on your front, another story entirely! Another thing is the noise transfer from the toilet/bathroom to the bedroom area, they may be a door but it might as well not be there. Also the corridor floors outside the front doors are marble and metal ridges for the carpet areas...this creates ALOT of noise when staff are pushing trolleys down there at 3am!

I did alot of research before booking the hotel in Dubai for our honeymoon, and the service was meant to be outstanding...even exceptional. I understand that this service cannot be maintained consistently and unfortunately I think it slipped for us. The concierge were very helpful on the whole, especially with arranging bookings i.e. afternoon tea at the Burj, Sundowners. But the service round the pool was inconsistent and a bit of let down honestly.

Once we reminded them that this was actually our honeymoon they did some nice touches to the room i.e. petals in the bath and bed, chocolate dipped strawberries, bowl of fruit. But it felt a little too late especially as we had to ask for it...which kind of takes the whole point away.

Breakfast was lovely here and I would definately recommend the Amaseena (arabic restaurants under tents) by the pool...superb.

Construction did not bother us too much, we spent some time by the pool and you can here the hammering, drilling etc but not too excessively.

To sum it up, this hotel is lovely. It's small and personal which is probably it's appeal for most and Dubai is fantastic and well worth a visit or two. We will not be staying at the Ritz again but will probably go further up the beach to somewhere like Mina A Salaam (where we found we got better service there in two hours than we did in our entire stay at the Ritz).

The front desk at the Ritz made a mistake for our transfer to the airport, they were meant to have changed it to 11.15 but it remained at 10.30 hence we very nearly lost our ride to the airport and worst of all the concierge did not apologise for it or admit that he had made a mistake. I felt like we were rushed out of the hotel, which upset me.

I loved Dubai and will certainly be returning but will not stay at the Ritz Carlton, I'm afraid our personal opinion is a thumbs down."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of November 2005

My Husband and I were lucky enough to be...

"My Husband and I were lucky enough to be sent to Dubai via the Company my Husband works for. It was an incentive trip for good sales and we travelled with about 50 other colleagues. The Emirates flight was brilliant. I had not looked forward to a 7.5 hour flight but by the time I had watched several movies, caught up with episodes of Friends and Frasier and played some of the computer games that were available in the headrest in front of me, it was time for landing!

The heat when we arrived an hour late at 8.15pm was stifling. Our Tour Guide bless her was beautifully turned out in her suit and coiffed hair but sweat was literally dripping off her face. As we got on the coach, we were given face cloths bathed in iced water to cool us down. My glasses steamed up in the heat and I thought that the next few days were going to be very unpleasant. How wrong was I?

Our Hotel, Ritz Carlton was in the Jumeira Beach area. The hotel was on the beach and was excellent. The staff were all so very polite and couldnt be more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. We only had breakfast at the hotel as we were on organised trips alot of the time but the food was good and the chefs would come into the restaurant to make sure that you were enjoying the food they had cooked and they were very friendly.

The pool was brilliant. It was over 40 degress every day but we did get a fair bit of time to spend at the pool. The water, even the sea, was like stepping into the bath, it was not at all cool although the swim up bar helped alot! The beach snack bar was great with fabulous freshly cooked food, plenty of it and for a 5* hotel their prices were not overly expensive.

The rooms were beautiful, huge rooms, huge bathrooms with a shower that would fit at least 3 people plus separate bath. large walk in wardrobe and safe at no extra cost.

We shopped in the jewellery quarter, which was quite good, everyone wanted you in their shop and alot of bartering was done. We were offered many beautiful things but be careful and make sure that you are good with converting their arabian dollars to english or you could end up making a bit mistake! Remember the old adage, if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is!

We went on a dhow cruise and had a fantastic meal, jeep safari which was the highlight of my stay as our tyre blew due to the hard time our driver gave the jeep, ending up in the middle of the desert where we then entered bedhouin tents for an evening buffet under the stars. Fantastically clean area, brilliant food. I particularly enjoyed the camel ride, although dressed in a skirt and being a little tipsy, the hilarity that this caused was immense. Very funny night!

All in all, probably the best time i've had in years. Would love to go back. There is construction work everywhere you look and no doubt even to go back within 6 months you would see vast differences in the landscape but its a fantastic place and a fantastic hotel! Get booking now !!

• Travel date: Sun 16th of March 2008

My wife and I only stayed here for 4 nig...

"My wife and I only stayed here for 4 nights as we had friends who lived nearby but they were back in England on the 4 days of our arrival.

This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff made us feel like royalty, they opened car doors, they lit my wife's cigarettes, and nothing was a problem for them.

When we arrived the first impressions were that of the reception area. It was spotless, gleaming infact. You was greeted by a fountain with rose petals spelling out "welcome." My wife and I then received a cool glass of juice which turned out to be date juice. It was actually very nice.

The reason for my staying here was that it was my wife's birthday. The staff made a fuss of her and a birthday cake arrived in our room with a card (in Arab) but the inside was bad English! They really try very hard the staff here.

The pool area is very pretty and the service is second to none. The waiter will carry your drinks, and if you require your sunbed to be moved the guys around the pool will do this.

Towels are laid out for you. There is very good food in the snack bar. Fresh fruit is served regularly also.

My wife had a body scrub and she said it was the best massage she had ever had.
Two nights we went to the gold souks which we both enjoyed. My wife does not enjoy haggling but it is necessary. Taxis are very cheap.

The hotel consists of two restaurants. We had dinner on two nights at La Baie which was our favourite one. The steak was fabulous.

Would come back here again its superb."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of October 2007

Hotels near The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai

Stayed at The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai? Share your insight.

The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai is also called