What a nightmare

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"I stayed in the Palace 4 nights and some people will say this guy is crazy to call this hotel horrible. But I know most of the hotels on Jumeirah Beach. And as the Palace is in the same price category like Jumeirah Beach or Madinat mina Al Salaam I can only give the advice to spend the money for these hotels. The room I stayed in had no view on the sea as they do not cut the palms like they did not care for a lot of details in the entire hotel. Breakfast was a joke and reminded me more of a 3* Hotel in Europe. The entire service had never the level of the a.m. hotels. I would have prefered to stay in the Oasis than in this one. NEVER AGAIN!!!!"

• Travel date: 9th April 2006

Poor!! Unhelpful!

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Arrived at hotel at 8pm, had to wait over hour for room as wasn't ready. When we arrived in room, not cot another hour until that was ready. Furthest point from pool, not fun when toddler is just walking. Didn't inform us of time of breakfast or where anything was, totally unhelpful. Asked about children's menu at pool bar, they said just half portions, totally impractical menu for toddler, asked on several occasions for yoghurt or more pureed food, and they refused to help - unbelievable for five star hotel. All the beds seemed to be reserved by the time we came down at 9am, but everyone has gone for breakfast leaving people with children with little choice of shady areas. Not allowed to change childs nappy around pool area but no facilities for changing nappies in toilets. Totally impractical for children. Totally unhelpful, didn't feel welcomed, didn't seem staff knew how to do their job let alone go the extra mile. Seems from reading posts it's all the people with young children that seem to be having problems with this hotel. For a five star hotel I thought customer service etc very very poor!! Rachel."

• Travel date: 8th April 2006

Beautiful, supurb hotel, first class

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We have just returned from spending 6 days at The Palace and we found this to be a beautiful, imaculately kept hotel. The service was first class and the staff went out of their way to help you. We loved the pool and the grounds are lovely and peaceful. You can easily spend an hour or more simply walking around this resort visiting all three hotels. You are made welcome everywhere! We did the ritual visit to take Afternoon Tea at The Burg! exactly as most people have commentated, superb architecture, but shame about the inside decor. We did not feel the surrounding building and construction work bothered us at all. It would however been even more perfect with an uninterrupted sea view. We shall definitley return to this hotel as it provides us with the package we prefer. The resort's tranquil grounds make it a pleasure and escape from the city. Highly recommended. The photographs do not do this hotel justice you have to visit personally to appreciate it's beauty. Edyth"

• Travel date: 26th February 2006

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I went with my husband and another couple. We had a wonderful time. The staff were always very helpful. Yes there is building work going on around but didn't find it intrusive. We liked the adult only pool for lazing around and the main pool for early morning swimming. The choice of restuarants was amazing, all very different but all very good. I think the only negative part was ordering drinks at the roof-top bar well within the "happy hour" time but being charged full price, as they were busy and didn't get them to you until after the time was up! We were staying there on Valentine's night and was very surprised to find a chocolate heart arrangement had been delivered to our room whilst we were at dinner, a lovely touch. All in all a wonderful holiday."

• Travel date: 26th February 2006

amazing experience

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"went for a 5 night break in september sensational hotel and location. what a place dubai is, everybody should visit. building work not a problem if you can see the vision of dubai. the rooftop bar within the hotel is truely amazing and romantic. beach is fantastic and the sea is like being in the bath at home. shopping is a must and excellent value. drink only available in the hotels in the main. i cant wait to go back to enjoy the amazing experince of dubai."

• Travel date: 24th February 2006

Great food shame about the organisation

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"I have to agree with another writer about how poor the hotel is when you have small children. Given it sells itself on being child friendly I was surprised at a number of problems we encountered during our stay, particularly given the price. Babysitters turned up late (despite us having confirmed several times the hour with the housekeeper) and with the wrong family's paperwork, the rooms are unadapted - you will need to move about 20 miniature alcohol bottles all within eay reach of a curious toddler, and we were given a room as far away as possible from any facility in the resort ( we were exhausted traipsing the corridors let alone our 17 month son) which opened out onto a pool reserved for adults - you try telling a toddler he can't go near the pool right in front of him. On arrival our room wasn't ready, not a problem in itself, but when we asked where we could change the baby's nappy the girl suggested on the floor in the toilets - neither hygenic or pratical,; we later discovered there was a changing area in the child centre, clearly the staff had no clue it existed. We have to say that the pool, beach, and gardens are fabulous, and that the food and restaurants with their friendly efficient staff, were truly exceptional. But the hotel is let down by its poor reception, planning and a concierge who quite frankly hasn't a clue about anything and was worse than useless - thank goodness I had a Lonely Planet with me. Royal Mirage will need to rethink itself a bit if it wants to compete in the top of the end range of clients particularly when the Four Seasons opens at the end of the year - I know where I will be going when I go back to Dubai"

• Travel date: 21st February 2006

Superb hospitality

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Sensational hotel in every way: - spectacular lobby, in this regard the Palace being the most impressive of the 3 hotels in the complex - lovely room (on ground floor, could step from terrace straight into garden leading to the pool) - enormous pool, and beautifully designed with palm trees in and around it - great variety and quality of restaurants across the complex (for breakfast we preferred Celebrities to Olives, for dinner the Eau Zone at the Arabian Court had a magical atmosphere) - highly atmospheric rooftop bar at the Arabian Court - superb service including the little details such as someone offering to clear your sunglasses on the beach, someone else bringing you some fruit on a stick by the pool. Do be aware that when you're lying on the beach, you will NOT have an undisturbed view to the horizon.... a few hundred metres in front of you is one of the "branches" of Palm Island and to one side is the causeway with trucks lumbering to and from the construction site. You can see but you can't hear it and frankly it's a fair reflection of Dubai as a whole - I've never seen so much construction anywhere. So it didn't bother us. Therefore absolutely no hesitation in thoroughly recommending the One & Only Mirage"

• Travel date: 10th February 2006

Loved it - can't wait to go back

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Stayed in the Palace for 5 nights in a 'standard' room - room was a good size, very well presented and extremely comfortable. The hotel has been decorated beautifully in traditional style and has a lovely atmosphere - the staff are professional and very friendly and during our stay couldn't do enough to help. The garden area is peaceful and well maintained, and although building work continues on the Palm development nearby (visible from the private beach), this didn't disturb us in any way. We were delighted with our choice of hotel (having also visited the Burj al Arab we were glad to be staying in the Royal Mirage - it was very over-the-top and the staff far less efficient and helpful)and look forward to returning soon."

• Travel date: 5th February 2006

Best Hotel Ever

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Stayed at the One and Only Royal Mirage The Palace for one week with my husband. It is the best holiday I have ever had, the staff offered an excellent service without being too over the top, we were made to feel almost like royalty. The hotel was maintained to the highest of standards, there is not one thing I could find fault with and would recommend to anyone. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!"

• Travel date: 23rd January 2006

Royal Mirage Never Fails to Deliver

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Returning guests at EIDE for the 2nd time.Hotel full to capacity but never felt crowded.Service and hospitality first class as usual.This hotel group in this complex is without equal in the Jumeirah beach resorts when comparing value for money,service,effiency,friendliness and that five star treatment-who needs over the top seven star service where you can never be free to relax and chill out without butlers and maids hovering. Construction work not a problem in this location-can hardly hear it and you need binoculars to see it on Palm Island.Traffic gridlocked on the routes into city centre between 5pm to 7pm but other times fine-a reverse rush hour direction compared to most other cities-just avoid until the new roadworks are completed."

• Travel date: 19th November 2005