Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

Sheikh Zayed Road, Trade Centre 1, Dubai United Arab Emirates

Fantastic service

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I have just returned from a weeks business trip at the Shangri-La.

The hotel is excellent, with great service.

I stayed on the club 'Horizon' level with its own concierge and club lounge where different food presentations are laid out each day. I was just expecting a few nibbles but breakfast is a lovely continental spread with cheeses fruit pastries etc., with the option of cooked eggs, omlettes etc if required.

Restaurants are great.

A great business hotel with a very convenient location."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

Not to my liking

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Stayed at Shangri La Dubai, as it looked great, arrived approx 7am , as to which i had informed the hotel that i will be checking in early. They were unaware that i had made the request then i was informed that if i wanted to check in i would have to pay a full nights stay, so was advised to use spa facilities until 12pm. i was booked to stay at hotel for 3 nights (regret). finally got into the room, which i could not fault.
i needed a few faxes sent so i had taken relevant info to reception - you would think it is a straight forward process, unfortuanlty not in this case. Staff assured me that the fax would be sent as it was required by a friend who was waiting at the airport who needed confirmation of her booking to get a Visa into Dubai. My friend called to say that they had not recieved anything. so i called from my room and the fax was not sent an hour later, so prompted them again, and again finally after nearly 2hours of waiting the fax was sent.
Enjoyed the little time i spent in the hotel, staff in the spa area were very obliging, not to sure what to say about front line reception staff , alittle rude for my liking (as the hotel was not cheap i expect 100% standards and service)"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of March 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Just Fantastic like any other Shangri-La hotel, a very good welcome and staff are very keen to assist. Rooms are great with a nice view, modern and comfortable, the bathroom is to die for...Breakfast buffet choice is massive for both healthy and non healthy eaters. Tried the chinese, food is out of this world, staff are very hospitable but a bit more of attention to details would give it a 110%. (other two nights were invited for dinner by business partners outside) The hotel is very clean ans spotless and no complaints from any of the facilities.

Try it if in Dubai."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

Good business hotel

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Very good business hotel. The rooms are very well-appointed. The layout of the toilet/wash area is excellent. I particularly liked the amenities that were provided - Trussardi moisturiser and soap. The club lounge is a nice touch, so is the gym and spa. However, my only grouse is that the login process for the in-room internet is a little volatile. If only they could have a hotel-wide Wi-Fi network, that would be perfect!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

Very Good, but not outstanding like Shangri Las are...

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Very Good Hotel.

However, being Dubai I was expecting "extra-spectacular", but instead got just "spectacular" - which doesnt stand out from the other hundred or so (?) 5* hotels in Dubai... Not cheap either.

No specific complaints,other than being charged for the WiFi.

Rooms are Excellent; Large, clean. modern with good bathrooms.The breakfast and International buffet is very good, and good value. Excellent food, choice, presentation and value. Rooftop pool and pool bar fine, but a tad small compared to other Shangri La hotels. Location in SZ road is OK, but not near beach or old town.

I would award marks of say 10/10, whereas other Shangri La hotels are usually 11/10 !!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2007

Small details that made the difference

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We visited Dubai for 5 days, encluding New Years Eve. Everything was great, from the first moment f our arrival. The staff was great, very helpfull (espessially at the reseption and in Vietnamese Restaurant), giving us all the possible information about where to go, what to do and how to get there and asking afterwards if we had enjoyed it!!! The Spa was great!!! The food very good in wide variety. Our room (30th floor) wonderfull, it was a temptation not to go anywhere else... A pity we couldn' t stay more..."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of January 2007

Well placed hotel for the city and airport but not for the beach

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Christmas in Dubai was a little strange but the hotel made a great effort.
Our room was on the 34th floor and like all of your other reviews we found it a lovley large room with great views and bathroom.
The staff were very helpful and as we had 7 nights there we tried out most of the eating establishments all of which were very good. The best was the Vietnamese closley followed by the buffet however room service breakfast was pretty poor with cold tea and high payment for anything other than juice and bread.

The spa was wonderful, pool a little small for the size of the hotel but in Decmebr it was not a problem.

The main advantage of this hotel is that it is very central to most places in Dubai, OK a little way out from the beach but as we are not beach people it did not matter to us.

Not sure it warrants 5 stars as we have been in 4 star European hotels with the same facilities.
It was very busy with business people which seems to be its most popular selling point"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of January 2007

Go for a better one than this- at these prices it should be immaculate- it ain't

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Call me a party pooper but this place is not as good, in my opinion obviously, as some write. At the 1400 AED (£200) a night price tag you should get internet for free, you don't. The service shouldn't be sloppy- it is (I am not being fussy, they are truly all a bit incompetent). From admin issues (too long to go into) to the speed of service in the restaraurants to the lack of knowledge of most employees within the hote (too many people wondering around to make it look like a high service hotel- it isn't)

Food wise- i would recommended the Vietnamese restaurant and the Chinese within the hotel (both are good but service in the second is pretty poor- heard 2 or 3 tables complaining too)
The Amwaj- the middle eastern restaurant is average for the price (Gordon Ramsey prices almost) for food that is more preocuppied with its esthetics than original taste.

The rooms are nice and the views impressive (well as much as they can be in Dubai- construction mainly)

Very dissapointed for the money it costs. When supply starts to outweigh demand I reckon they will start acting a bit more proffesional and not like they had just smoked a big riffa."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of December 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"WOW. What a wondeful stay. We had a three night stopover between Istanbul and Australia and loved it. This place is first class and proffesional. The room was fabulous on the 36th floor with views of the ocean. All was perfect. Stay there.

Wisey and Sue
Victoria Australia"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of October 2006

Most wonderful hotel I've stay at - excellent

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"My friend and I booked a last minute deal through Trailfinders in London, £477 for 4 nights including flights, hotel with breakfast.

We'd never been to Dubai before but after this visit can't wait to go back.

We flew on Virgin and arrived at 06:40, took a cab to the hotel and were in our DeLuxe room by 9.00 after clearing customs, picking up luggage etc.

Our room was on the 34rd floor and it excelled all expectations. Fabulous room, magnificant bathroom, fresh fruit, water the lot.

The quality of the furnishing was excellent and the beds the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

The staff couldn't do enough for us, even down to putting a bookmark in a book I'd been reading which I'd left by the bed with the page turned down - incredible.

Breakfast was a feast, there was nothing you could want they didn't have. Freshly squeezed juices, fresh fruit, seafood selection, cheese, salads, wonderful breads, hot breakfasts cooked to order absolutely staggering selection.

The pool, though not large, was superb with swim up bar and again those fabulous staff. Cold flannels and drinks were brought round and fresh fruit cocktails made to order for around £3:50.

The buffet dinner again was staggering in its selection at a cost of £18.00 including wine! It was Ramadan when we visited and I understand the cost goes up to £22:00 but its a total bargain. The seafood selection with huge prawns could have kept us going but then there was the sushi bar, the salads, huge selection of hot food all incredible quality (I'm running out of superlatives but nothing could be faulted).

The whole of the 4th floor is a beautiful spa and we treated ourselves to facials, massages which were top class. A 90 minute massage worked out to £50.00, half of what you'd pay in London for a similar experience.

The hotel is situated between Deira and Jumeria so a perfect location with none of the building works taking place close by so it was incredibly peaceful.

We visited the malls and the Souks all of which were an experience in themselves. The weather of Las Vegas, buildings similar to Hong Kong, shopping New York style and throw in the Bahamas and you're just about there. Incredible.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and can't wait to go back."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of October 2006

Hotels near Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai

Stayed at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai? Share your insight.

Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai is also called