Fantastic Hotel, if you can Afford the Luxury

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at The Palace, Old Town in early November last year. The hotel hadn't had its grand opening yet and was running on a 'soft' opening. Nevertheless, I was very impressed. The communal areas are very oppullent (think marble fountain in the lobby filled with flower petals) We had an executive room which gave us access to our own butler, in full coat and tails (not that we used HER much), together with access to the executive lounge. I loved the lounge; complimentary nibbles all day (my wife went crazy over their toasted cheese hors d'oeuvres and I admit they were damn tasty). In the evening, they would open a complimentary bar offering everything from good scotch to Brut Champaigne, with caviar hors d'oeuvres to boot! The room was quite large and well laid out, with excellent attention to detail. This truely is a 5 star hotel. The beds were excellent, super king sized and big enough to get lost in. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the artificial lake around the hotel and the Burj Dubai (the world's tallest building) was a few hundred meters from our window. The bathrooms were excellent, well appointed with a bidget, his and hers sinks, a tub and a huge shower. The toilet and shower were sealed off from the rest of the bathroom by glass screen doors that came down to the floor. Good range of toiletries provided (e.g. an excellent men's aftershave, wood handled shaving razor with twin blades and a wood toothbrush, etc) . The breakfast buffet is excellent, with everythign from pancakes and sausages, to traditional arabian dishes. We only had dinner at the Thai restruant and I can say that the setting is excellent. The restruant is set out on the lake and at night they light huge flaming torches on pillars set into the water around the restruant. Very nice effect. The staff were excellent, everyone said hello to you as you walked about the hotel, from the cleaners to the managers. In fact, walking to the pool from your room meant that you had to say hello a dozen times. Which brings me to the pool area. Beautiful at night, with the hotel lit up behind it and lively during the day, in a peaceful sort of way. The staff were attentive, bringing you the cocktails of your choice by the pool. And speaking of cocktails, the complimentary mint, orange, and unindentifiable soda (they said it was pepsi, but it couldn't have been because there was no pepsi color in the drink) cocktail was excellent. My wife and I have been trying to duplicate it, without success, all this past year. Overall, a very impressive hotel that provides a luxurious stay. It might not be by the beach, but if its luxury you want, then you can't fault The Palace. I would add, however, that the hotel is quite expensive, particularly if you book an executive room. We paid about £1400 for three nights, just for the room, but thats partly because I booked directly with the hotel at short notice. If you can get this on a good package deal and you're not concerned with being by the beach, then this is an excellent choice."

• Travel date: 18th September 2008

Luxury in a building site!

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"Don't be fooled by the subject heading - this hotel is fantastic BUT while they continue to build on every spare inch of Dubai city, this hotel, along with many others will be in the middle of a building site for a while yet. However...... this hotel is gorgeous. It may not be on the beach but the pool makes up for that - beautifully designed setting, especially looking back at the hotel. You get an excellent view of the Burj Dubai (what will be the world's tallest building) being built too. Very attentive pool staff too. I stayed with a friend in a twin room in the executive wing. The room did come with a butler but we really could draw our own curtains and draw our own baths. The room was clean, very comfortable with lovely linen and quite big. Flat screen TV, balcony and large bathroom. The main part of the hotel is decorated in a bedouin camp style - dark woods, colourful drapes and cushions - but very chic. The main restaurant is very nice - high ceiling, terrace or inside eating options. The food, as with most Dubai hotels, is amazing - but it does come at a price too. I'm not saying this hotel is any more expensive than the other 5star hotels but you do notice the prices are fairly high. I only stayed here for 2 days on the way back from Australia - but it was a very nice stopover. I would recommend this hotel to anyone either stopping over or wanting a short break in Dubai. Any longer than 5 days and you may want to stay at one of the beach hotels."

• Travel date: 28th July 2008

better than the ritz

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"The all-new property is top of the class. Get here before the rest of the world discovers it and the prices quadruple. The facility, staff and food are world-class, in fact they are best in class. I am just wrapping up five night stay. The food: lunch and breakfast on the first floor. Huge selection of traditional and international cuisine. Also the property has a south american steak house and thia rest. Both exceptional. If you like Thia, go there as often as you can. The rooms: state of the art, clean and quiet. The service: the staff at this hotel could not have been nicer. Clearly the issues with a new staff have been worked out prior to my arrival because this was a first-rate experience. spa: nice work out facility, super spa facilities and services. When I return this will be top of my list. I had visited other, highly rated properties in Dubai. While this is not on the beach, it is a gem."

• Travel date: 9th June 2008

Nice can do better

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the palace last October. The hotel is quite well decorated in an oriental style and since It was our first stay in Dubai we loved to be in that kind of atmosphere. The hotel had just opened and we were surrounded by constructions but we knew prior to our arrival about this problem and there was no noise disturbance in the hotel. The pool area is great ,the room (executive suite if I recall) was nicely decorated and quite big. Bed was very comfortable and in a very peaceful environment. We had Roger-Gallet soaps and Hermes perfumes changed daily which was a very nice attention.Every night a new chocolate (different flavor) was on our bed... Now the down side: THE SERVICE! unfortunately the service was below average since the laborers have little or no experience. Each manager (very professional and capable) had evidently a very hard time keeping their troops together. We had a leak in our bathroom and 3 calls were needed before anyone came almost an hour later. Don't go to the beach hotel they are associated with because its terrible not to mention the restaurant (at the beach hotel). The concierge Sergio was great, the Argentinian staff from the grill was perfect (then again only the managers) and Martial at the desk was very arranging. Would I stay again here? Yes since most hotels have the same service problem in Dubai."

• Travel date: 7th June 2008

nice but not great

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"The product is stunning and I am sure that I will enjoy a better stay in 12-24 months. Currently the property is in the middle of a huge construction site - no two ways about it. Inside the hotel is a heaven, beautiful and with all the right touches. What make this property not perfect are the standard things a hotel should get right. E.g. I ordered a wakeup call every morning during my 4 night stay; I received the call two mornings, one morning they didn’t call at all and one morning they called me at 4am opposed to the 8:30am – nice, not! I complained – did anybody come back to me? No – despite me chasing. As most hotels in Dubai now, the Palace got a huge problem with service. It is basically just bad, very bad. You have to ask for the same thing five times and still you are not sure it will ever happen. Disappointing in a property as gorgeous as the Palace. Chose the Palace if you are happy to enjoy a stunning 5-star product with 3-star service."

• Travel date: 12th May 2008

Loved it

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We had a lovely 3 night stay there this April. It is a beautiful Hotel, with very friendly and attentive staff. The rooms are awesome. The pool area and outside area is lovely. There is still a lot of construction going on, but you barely notice it. Everything is reachable in a fairly short time, unless you hit the Rush hour. Make sure you get the location of the Hotel on a piece of paper when arriving at the airport, so you can give it to the taxi driver. Taxi is also cheaper than Hotel shuttle. If you want, you can read more and see pictures over here: http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php/sofitel-dubai"

• Travel date: 27th April 2008

Highly recommend it

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"The staff are so friendly. The rooms without fault And the buffet breakfast to die for. You can't go wrong. At this stage you do have some building works around you, but surprisingly the noise isn't that noticeable. And when you have the Burj Arab going up and up- the tallest building in the world when completed- who could complain? It's an amazing sight. When the entire complex is finished it will be even better. Already there are shops and small supermarkets open next door, a lagoon encircles the hotel and when it's all lit up at night it's stunning. It was our highlight of staying in Dubai"

• Travel date: 12th April 2008

Will be lovely when finished....

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We stayed at the Palace, The Old Town in March 2008 for 5 nights. We choose this hotel as there were only 2 left & as we left it until the last minute. We chose this one as it was new. We were greeted when we arrived by approx 5 men at the entrance of the hotel & our luggage was taken from us straight away which was great. We were checked in very quickly. The breakfast is ok but like other people have said, it's not amazing. Wouldn't stop me going back again though. Service isn't always great at breakfast & we had to ask for tea/coffee a couple of times on 2 days. We never ate in the restaurants at night. We ate in the Meat Co. which is in the shopping centre next door on our last night which was lovely. Would recommend it. We had room service one night which was excellent. We had just got engaged. They wheeled a small table into the room with our meal on it. The pool is nice but not many sunbeds. Also there was no water round the hotel when we stayed there. Think it had been drained. This was disappointing for us, but will be lovely when it's finished. There will be boats on the moat to take you around, but they weren't there when we were. The noise of building work didn't really bother us, but there was lots of it - be warned! Overall we were pleased with this hotel and would like to go again, when it's finished."

• Travel date: 6th April 2008

Beautiful Hotel, Not quite 5* yet

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"We tried the Palace the Old Town as it seemed geographically well placed and the website pictures looked promising. Having stayed in Dubai before, we are used to the cranes and dust so it didn't phase us too much to arrive in what looks like the middle of a building site, especially as you have great views of the Burj Dubai. However, the noise and ever present building works aren't for everyone. The Palace is immaculate with beautiful rooms and grounds however, it doesn't compare to other 5* Dubai hotels for a number of reasons. Dubai hotels normally fall into 2 categories - business and leisure. This didn't know which it was. Pool lounge space was very limited and on one day we were told there were no spare sun loungers. Staff don't speak much English and on numerous days our room hadn't been changed til 5pm. Restaurants and facilities are very limited. If you want to stay by the pool during the day and eat at the hotel, there are very few options, unless you fancy spending £30 a head for lunch, and as it is quite cut off, wandering to find any other options is out of the question. There is no doubt that this will be a fantastic resort once everything is finished but there just isn't enough to attract the customer when compared with other hotels. Great location though, to reach both the old town and Jumeirah beach."

• Travel date: 5th January 2008

Brand new Hotel, Brand new Staff

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I have stayed at this hotel after 2 weeks of soft opening, it was based on advice of agent in nozolok.com. it is located in old twon island in Burj dubai (middle of construction site) the noise of hammers and drills works starts at 7 AM, while the isloation of glass is not prefect. not all wings has been completed as They are still working on furnituring them, two restaurants opend out of three. the hotel is 5 stars in building luxury and furnituing but the service is less than average (which I expected from new hotel). the rooms as it is appeared in the website, luxury and spacious with small balconey, the bathroom with seperate shower and bath. The breakfast is ordinary and the variety is minimum. most of the time we call the concierge, bellman but no body response. the pool is OK. overall, the hotel need some improvment in service to be in compition with top 5 stars in the city."

• Travel date: 29th October 2007

Hotels near Palace Downtown

Palace Downtown is also called

• The Palace The Old Town
  • the palace old town
  • palace the old town dubai