Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection

Exterior

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE - not 5 star at all

Reviewed 31st October 2011

"As a regular visitor to Dubai this is not their usual standard. The hotel is very shabby and in need of a facelift. The staff knowledge and service levels leave a lot to be desired. The hotel is also known locally for its nightlife for every night apart from Mondays and Wednesdays until sometimes up to 3.00am. Very little consideration for paying guests. Management seem reluctant to turned the music down despite upsetting guests. The hotel is though located in a very good area near 'the famous walk' and only 10 mins walk to Dubai Marina. A major refit and abandoning their moneymaking nightlife would make this place really nice - but I dont think thats going to happen. Would not personally recommend this hotel as there are far nicer ones for a similar price."

• Travel date: 30th October 2011

Definately Not a 5*

Reviewed 17th March 2009

"We stayed at the Habtoor Grand Hotel for 1 night on 1st March 2009. On our way home from a 2 week holiday in Cape Town, this was a 1 night stopover in a luxury hotel - or so we thought. We booked a Tower Room, we were aware there was "some" construction work nearby, but not to the extent that we found. From their airport the taxi wound its way through the numerous construction sites on every side of the hotel, the hotel lobby itself appeared to be very elegant and grand. We arrived at the Habtoor Grand at 6am, after a long 12 hour flight from Cape Town. We were tired and just wanted to sleep, but were told we couldnt check into our room until 2pm... another 8 hours! But we were told that there WAS a room available (a double room, the same as we had booked), if we wanted we could have that room now for an EXTRA NIGHTS RATE! So in effect OUR room WAS ready, but they chose not to let us have it until it suited them. Clearly tired from an overnight 12 hour flight we were made to wait 5 long hours, in Reception on the sofa without so much as being offered a drink (everywhere was closed). We were eventually given our room at 11:30am. By this time we just wanted to sleep. Within 5 minutes of getting our room Room Service turned up with a trolley to COMPLETELY EMPTY the mini bar! When we asked why (we may have wanted a drink!) we were told in no uncertain terms "No credit card swipe - no drinks"!!. No one asked us for a credit card swipe, we would gladly have given this however we werent asked. Bearing in mind we had paid in advance for our stay over 2 weeks ago, we thought this extremely rude and certainly not what you would expect from a 5* hotel. About 10 minutes after that when we drew back the sheets to get into bed we discovered there was sand in the bed! ..... clearly the sheets had not been changed fromt he last guests!! (they had 5 and a half hours to clean the room). We had to ring housekeeping to change the bed with new sheets. When we had been asleep for an hour when the hotel fire alarm went off, which was broadcast loudly via a tannoy in the room "Warning Incident, Warning Incident Evacuate the Hotel Immediately"!. We rang Reception to enquire and were told it was just the weekly staff fire drill, the Receptionist thought it was funny - we didnt!. Our patience and impression of the hotel was by now wearing rather thin. Drinks in the hotel were very expensive £5 for a small coca cola at the poolside bar, £15 for a glass of wine. The "Underground Pub" the hotel's bar, was full of loud roudy men, and very noisy. Again not what we expected from a 5* hotel. The hotel's only saving grace was dinner in the Private Dining Restaurant on the 25th floor, on the roof terrace overlooking "the Palm and Atlantis" with views of the Burj Al Arab. We would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic candlelit dinner, with stunning views. When we arrived at the restaurant (at 9pm) there was a screaming baby at the table next to us - again, not what you would expect in a Private Dining Restaurant (on the Club Floor), the parents allowed the child to scream while they ate, the child was clearly tired. Luckily for us they left soon after that, as we would have left had that persisted. Breakfast was buffet style in a large very noisy restaurant, again with lots of crying and noisy babies and small children. We noticed the other guests were mainly eastern european, Russian I believe, sadly whose manners seriously left a lot to be desired, nor do they understand the concept of a queue, and just grabbed at food on the buffet, they were unbelievably rude to the waiters. Too many small children and babies staying in the hotel, which ruined breakfast - not what we expected of a 5* hotel. The Reception and corridors of this hotel are elegant, but thats where it ends. The staff were ok, but surly, and unhelpful the beach wasnt clean, lots of litter, there was construction going on all around the hotel, on both sides, and behind, the air was dusty and smoggy from the construction work which started at 5am in the morning!. You cant go for a walk outside the hotel due to the building sites, you need a taxi to go everywhere. We were disappointed with Dubai, its basically a huge building site with cranes everywhere, and half built glass tower blocks. We wouldnt return to the Habtoor Grand Resort, we thought it was overpriced with extortionate drinks prices, it does not live up to its description. We were glad we were only there for 1 night. Give Dubai another 5 years for all the construction work to be finished, the hotels should be giving a 50% discount off room rates due to the mess and building work. I would not recommend this hotel. We complained to the hotel management about our stay when we returned home,they werent particularly bothered. "

• Travel date: 17th March 2009

Simply...Amazing

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"It was our first visit to dubai, we found it difficult to choose a hotel but we decided to go for the habtoor grand. To the hotel was amazing is a lie.....it was better than that. We loved it, not only was the service fantastic the food was the best I have ever had and I love my food. The breakfast was 10* the restaurants were quality and again the service brilliant. Our room was huge and had great views overlooking the sea. This was by far the best hotel I have ever been and would HIGHLY recomend it. Just great. Worth every penny."

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

Fabulous

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We have just returned from a week at the Habtoor Grand. - what a fabulous hotel. We had a club room with a seaview - well worth the extra money. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bathroom was to die for. The hotel has a very large main pool with a splendid pool bar; we spent much of our time there, but there is also an infinity pool and a childrens pool with waterslides and other features. It was very hot during our stay - 100 plus every day, so we didn't use the beach much as it was scorching. We swam in the sea a couple of times - it was like swimming in a hot bath. The beach was, however, spotless with lots of sunbeds for hotel guests and the hotel provides a lifeguard for much of the day. The staff were attentive and couldn't do enough for us, but without being overly so. Breakfast was buffet style and catered to all tastes. We tended to eat dinner away from the hotel, but can recommend the pool bar menu if you feel peckish at lunchtime. There is a courtesy bus which runs approximately two hours to the Emirates Mall - huge - and the Gardens Mall, both of which are worth a visit and have good restaurants too. We shall be returning to Dubai without doubt and shall stay at the Habtoor when we do."

• Travel date: 28th September 2006

Luxury at the Habtoor

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"On arrival at the Habtoor Grand Hotel and Spa, Dubai we were allocated an upgrade on our room and given vouchers for the restaurants - each worth almost €30 per person per meal - a good start! The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the bathrooms are wonderful. We had a great view of the Persian Gulf if we looked left, and of construction on the right - which pretty much sums up Dubai! We were 1 adult and an 8 year old and there are so many restaurants that it was easy to find food that both of us enjoyed, the pools and the areas surrounding the pools are relaxing, fun and well staffed. There are several pool attendants on duty at any one time and they were extemely vigilant. The cafe within the pool was novel and kept us cool! The customer service in the hotel puts almost anywhere else we've ever stayed to shame. Nothing is too much trouble, and any request is followed-up to make sure that the question or issue is resolved satisfactorily. The staff are friendly and helpful but are never over the top and add to the excellence in the hotel. The Habtoor is a great hotel where we were able to relax, have fun, eat well, and is in a lovely location. The only negative was that on two nights there was persistant construction noise from an adjacent site, so a room facing the Gulf might avoid this. My 8 year old says 'the hotel was brilliant, fantastic and excellent'. Says it all really!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2006

Wonderful Habtoor Grand Plaza

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"The Whelan Family stayed at the Habtoor Grand Plaza from the 18th to the 25th July 2006 and we were very pleasantly surprised. As a family with two children ages rangeing from 3 to 12 that has done alot of travelling I would definately recommend the Habtoor Grand Plaza Hotel. It has everything you would need for a family holiday. The staff are extremely friendly and cannot do enough for you. The food was beautiful. We stayed in the Tower Family Room and it was perfect for a family holiday. There is easy access to the shopping centres, ski dubai, wild wadi and the Kerama district for a little light shopping. It is situated right on the beach and there is pleanty of water sports for all ages. There is a large gym which myself and my husband frequented daily and a beautiful spa for those little pick me up moments. I would definately class it as a five star hotel with 5 star service. Our compliments to the management and staff."

• Travel date: 7th August 2006

Habtoor Grand resort, Ill be back

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Stunning. Just got back from 10 days at the Habtoor, could not fault it. Location, people, rooms, resturants, Pools, all top class best i have expeienced. Get a Club Room, which costs a bit more, is must if you can afford it. Club rooms are very large and well laid out It gives you Complementary Limo Transferre to and From the Hotel from the Airport. You can also Borrow For a small cost the Hotel's brand New Bentley, Great for Turning up at the Shopping malls {etc} In Access to the Club Lounge Private Bar Breakfast in the Club room, Complementary Tea/ Coffee/soft drinks 24hrs a day Complementary Achoholic Drinks Between 6 pm and 10 pm, with complemantary Canapees. Complemtary High tea between 3pm and 5 pm, Sandwiches, cakes, Chocolate machine. Basically the drinks make it worth the extra alone, And in the high season, you get Club reserved area's around the pools, sundeck, beach. So no worries about ever getting a spot even if the hotel is full. Yes there is some buliding work around the hotel, but most of Dubai is effected by building works and at no time effected our stay. Dubai marina is a short taxi ride away, or about a 15 mins walk. Lots of nice resturants and bars. Great For Kids, Kids Club, Kids pool with slide 100% will be going back,"

• Travel date: 21st June 2006

For leisure, definitely stay here.

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I stayed here for work. Like others, I was skeptic by the reviews and even asked to switch. But due to high occupancy of the hotels, I had to stay. I'm glad I did. The service is superb... they cater to your needs and are always asking if everything is OK. I admit it got a bit annoying, because for every request (iron, shampoo, more hangers, ice, you name it), they always followed up with a call to ensure service happened well. Because the needs were basic and nothing was wrong, I felt it too much... but I know if something was wrong, I would have appreciated that they pro-actively asked me, instead of me waiting to come to them, if I would have. Further... they asked me when I checked in when I thought I would check out, which was unusual for me. However, about 3 hours prior to me checking out (i checked out at 11pm, so 8pm)... I got a call asking me how my overall stay was and they asked me a few quality questions. I thought this was very good of the hotel... instead of relying on the paper forms they leave in the room, which at times I want to fill out, but then never get around to doing it. The negatives are a) its trying to be a 5-star hotel.. but its not quite. The look is very pleasing throughout, but they didnt do a great job on the finishing touches... so the closer you look, the closer you find that the construction of things, paint finishes, etc, are not very good. Shower leaked daily, poorly constructed, etc. b) not really a business hotel in my opinion. They have a conference center so they want to be... but simple things like shipping a package, getting money, business center service desk, etc. were not up to par. This is why if I was staying for business, I would prefer to stay somewhere else, where staff knows general business inquiries and can easily cater. I wanted to ship something overnight, and I was bounced around- reception, business centre to conceirge. Breakfast is good, and the meals at other restaurants, esp. the asian-fusion restaurant, is great. For leisure, the pool is large, the beach is great, and they have lots of activities at your disposal for renting (kayaks, boats, snorkling, diving, etc). If I was going to vacation in Dubai for a week in the sun, I would definitely come back here. The gym is quite large too. Spa is fine too."

• Travel date: 15th June 2006

can't fault the Habtoor Grand resort and spa....

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"just back today from 5 days at the Habtoor. We had a great time, room. food and pool all excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. Weather too hot, but couldn't complain. I would recommend this hotel as a family holiday. I had read the previous reviews,and I was a little concerned about my choice of hotel, but this was my second time in Dubai, and I found it better than the first."

• Travel date: 14th June 2006

40th Birthday

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Having read the earlier reviews we were a little apprehensive although luckily we did not experience any of these problems. Our stay was fantastic from start to finish. Having been to Dubai 6 years ago we were well aware of all the major construction and can't understand how people could have missed this when researching where to stay! It did not effect our stay at all, not a pretty skyline so avoid taking photo's in that direction but no noise disturbance. Jumeiah beach resort has always been isolated from the city and shops, if you want to be closer then stay in a hotel there. The rooms were great, we had ajoining rooms with our children 3 and 14. Breakfast pleased our variety of tastes, lunches and dinners the same. Two other couples came with us, one had a studio in the gardens which was beautiful, the rest of us had tower rooms with sea views which were superb. The staff were all very friendly and curtious and eager to please. The pools were very clean and well staffed. On my husbands birthday, a complimentary birthday cake arrived in our room which was delicious! We recommend a trip to the Wild Wadi, a cruise up the Creek, the Gold Soukes, dining at the Hard Rock Cafe and Billy Blues. One grumble: on our first full day there was a private function around the main pool to which we were not allowed access. This was not acceptable but we were taxied to the Oasis Resort for the day free of charge at our convenience."

• Travel date: 12th June 2006

worth staying at

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Arrived early morning, and were allowed to check in more or less immediately as I had young kids who were tired, and they had a room that was available. The main reason we booked this was that we were told that this was one of the few hotels that allowed parents plus 2 young kids to stay in the same room, and hence we had a Tower Family room. Room was spacious, had a dvd player (but no dvds to rent at hotel) and clean with half sea view. Hotel has three pools one of which was a kids pool, which both of mine enjoyed very much and pools were clean with attentive life guards. Ate most lunchtimes at hotel and one evening, and food was ok but pricey, as were most other things at the hotel (spa). Breakfast was what I consider to be limited for a five star hotel, but still did the trick. Staff were friendly, housekeeping a bit slow, and hotel has usual trimmings one would expect from a superior hotel. Worse things about hotel was the location. This part of Dubai is all under construction but if you want to stay on the beach thats the way it goes. However, I like to walk around when Im on holiday but at this location you couldnt walk anywhere and needed to take cabs in spite of limited shuttle service. For example we wanted to go to Deira City centre so needed a cab there and back. Worth staying a, however, and would recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 30th May 2006

fabulous

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"having not being to dubai before i was a bit unsure what to expect... i had been reading mixed reviews on the forum and on here. This is my view.. we arrived at the hotel early tuesday morning 9am.. and were told our room wouldnt be ready until 2pm (check in time), so they offered to take our cases, and we allowed to use the pool ..bars ect... at 2pm we checked in.. we were booked into a club double.. but the nice bloke on reception upgraded us free of charge to a grand club suite.... it was fantastic.... the room was amazing... and the service we recieved was outstanding. everyone at the hotel was very pleasent and always smiled and said hello or good morning. the food was good.. around £40 for meal for 2 without drinks. the horizan pool was next door to our room, and was absolutly perfect for views of the gulf and the burj al arab.. building work was going on all around, but it didnt spoil any part of our time in Dubai... in fact you hardly noticed it unless you were in a taxi. i wouldnt hesitate to go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: 27th May 2006

Hotels near Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection

Top traveller tips for Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection

• by Whoppit320

"At the least insist on a room far away from music (but this still wont be far enough away)"

• by kiki and steve

"Give it 5 years for the building work to be finished! "

Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection is also called