Burj Al Arab Jumeirah

Jumeira Road Umm Suqeim 3, Dubai 74147 United Arab Emirates

Good

truly precious, or fools' gold?

"As we entered the terminal in Dubai airport we were greeted by the Burj rep. and whizzed through passport control at record speed resulting in us sitting in our car and arriving at the Burj swiftly.

Upon entering, the staff took a slight pride in watching looks of anticipation turn to awe as they offer you towels, dates, coffee and rosewater while you looked at the staggering dancing water fountain and fish tanks around you. No lengthy check in took place, just whizzed up to our floor where the floor manager took us straght to our room.

The decor of the room was somewhat odd, full of shiny gold lamps, clashing colours between the sofas and carpets and a TV frame considerably larger than the TV itself. However, none of this mattered. Many people love to hate the Burj for its decadence and slightly tacky grandeur but it is undeniable that it is pure, blissful luxury, perfect for that one special occasion, just not everyday.

Both upstairs bedrooms were more subdued in style and classier as was the bathroom covered in beautiful mosaic tiles with a Jacuzzi that could easily fit four!

The breakfast in the morning at the Al Iwan (much better than the one at the Bab Al Yam as it had an omelette maker with better views) was varied, delicious and plentiful. Equally the spa on the 18th floor catered to all needs, was spacious and had a small but stunning pool.

Now for the negatives... the bar on the 27th floor, multicoloured ceiling included was tacky and very bright. Furthermore the famed Al Mahara restaurant was unbelievably expensive for the delicious, but little food received. Aside from the facilities within the hotel itself, the hotel, the Burj justifiably has a reputation and the look one receives from, for example, taxi drivers when telling them you are at the Burj is slightly disconcerting. I imagine some people like this as staying at the Burj did seem to be for many staying there more of a status symbol than a fantastic hotel.

Nevertheless, please do not let me deter you all. Staying at the Burj is a once in a lifetime experience, which, should you be lucky enough to be able to do, you defiantly should as, overall the hotel, the service and the food are astonishing. We went as it was my mother's 60th birthday and while we generally loved the Burj, I don’t realistically think my family and I would stay there again as while it was amazing for at lot less one could stay perfectly comfortably in the equally stunning Mina Al Salaam/Al Qasr."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2005

7 Star Rating is well deserved

"As a regular business traveller who spends 4 months a year travelling extensively, I thought I had seen it all.....until I stayed at this Hotel.
The service here is truly out of this world with the Hotel employees being particularly impressive in every aspect of their duties. The Waiters at breakfast do everything for you bar actually eat the food for you. As for the Butler service, well, if insisting on walking you down 24 flights of stairs during a Dubai power cut (the first power cut the city has had in 10 years I am told) was not enough then the offer of running our baths, packing / unpacking our suitcases and bringing unprompted various refreshments to our suite on a regular basis every evening certainly did it for us. The suites are superb and luxurious in the extreme and the restaurants are truly first class with the delightfully tasting food being well worth the hefty pricetag. The internal decoration and ambience of the lobby has to be seen to be believed and the Pool Staff certainly wore out their shoe leather with the constistent bringing of water, evian face sprays, ice cold flannels and fruit platters.
It is indeed difficult to find any fault with the Burj although most of us will eventually run out of money if we stay here too often.
The unofficial billing of this Hotel being 7 star is entirely accurate - in my opinion it is indeed 2 notches above a typical 5 star Hotel such as a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons for example, if that is possible. Treat yourself to a truly memorable experience and stay here before Dubai gets too overcrowded."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of June 2005

Total Luxury

Good

"This hotel exceeds our expectations every time we go. This was our second visit, and this time my boyfriend/lover surprised me with the presidential suite. It was fantastic. Every luxury your could imagine was there. I never even had to draw my own bath! And the tub jets - oooooooh! It was a surprise birthday get away - and what a surprise it was. I thought the one bedroom was grand - this far surpassed that. I have to say - the food was out of this world. Very delicious. The service - spectacular. Bruce has very over the top tastes, and likes "certain things" while away on vacation - this hotel caters to your every whim - no questions asked. If you want it - they will find it. You pleasure is their mission.
- D. Rowley"

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005

Loved the Burj

"My husband and I just returned from a week in Dubai the end of May and we absolutely loved the city. We spend the first night at the Hilton Dubai Creek due to a late night arrival, followed by four nights at the One and Only Royal Mirage and two nights at the Burj Al Arab. The Hilton is nice but more of a business hotel and due to street construction all around it it is difficult to walk outside the hotel. I would recommend going directly to the Jumeirah Beach area. The Royal Mirage was fabulous - great pool and beach area as well as excellent restaurants. We had a club level beach front suite that was luxurious. Then on to the Burj Al Arab, which to us deserved even more than seven stars. The building itself is one of Dubai's top attractions. It was truly the best hotel, in every respect, that we have ever stayed at in the world. The attitude of the staff and service level could not possibly be any better and the food was among the best we've ever eaten. The suites and common hotel areas are exquisite. I can't say enough about the experience; it was worth every dollar. As regards the Jumeirah Beach area in general it is beautiful but you cannot walk from hotel to hotel on the street due to distance and the construction of the Palm and World Islands prevents beach walking due to construction. Also if you are traveling as a couple be careful where you stay; many hotels are family oriented and the pools are packed with children. We took the East Coast tour - very interesting and worthwhile - and the dune bashing/dinner, which was only so-so. If you enjoy a convoy of 25 4 wheel vehicles traveling together and then meeting up with 3 other same sized groups for dinner, then go for it! It was mass market at it's worst!! The food and belly dancing were very good however."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005

The Burj is Dubai

"Stay if you can at this spectacular hotel. The stunning sailboat styled architecture and all round Dubai icon does not prepare the visitor for what lies inside. Yes, this hotel is monumentally vulgar and over the top. One would expect the Beckhams to have played a consultancy role with the interior decor! However, you are in Dubai and this hotel says (nay positively screams) it all. If you want less ostentation and the unrivalled service of the champions of luxury hotels then Ritz Carlton is, in the end, a more fulfilling experience. But, it is too easy to take a swipe at this fabulous hotel. Like many other reviewers here, my wife and I have have been lucky enough to stay in some top hotels. The Burj Al Arab is the best we have ever luxuriated in. We booked through Expedia and paid 426 pounds a night, including a magnificent breakfast at the Bab Al Yam restaurant. Yes, it is huge money but we didn't feel in the least overcharged. Indeed, the hotel was fully booked on the two nights we stayed.
You do not stay in a hotel room. The suites at the Burj are not about providing an extra chair or more desk space. A basic suite is like entering a palace. The amount of space has to be seen to be believed. Your suite is on 2 levels, linked by a sweeping staircase (What? No personal lift?) and it would take too long to list the many outstanding features of this hotel. The 11 telephones in each suite probably sums it all up. The mountainous fruit bowl, the remote controlled curtains, the projected clock on the wall, the thunderous sound system, the spot on air conditioning, the bed from heaven, complete with naughty ceiling mirror and my own personal favourite as a computer technophobe, an IT butler are my own stand out favourites. The Burj is Dubai. Stay (not visit) if you can."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of June 2005

The Ultimate Luxury

"I'm a jaded traveler and I admit it, but I was wowed by the Burj al Arab--wowed by the place, wowed by the view, wowed by the decor and wowed by the price. We stayed in a "panaramic suite" and it surely was. The $1000 per night rate is extremely steep but this is truly one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

The Al Muharra restaurant is also great. If you're a couple, ask to sit at one of the tables for two next to the aquarium.

The other restaurants in the hotel are riduculously expensive for what you get--$48 hamburger, for example. Also, avoid the mini bar in the room. In my opinion, if you're paying $1000 per night for a room, they shouldn't charge you $6.50 for a coke!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of June 2005

What a place!

"The Burj al Arab is like nowhere else on earth. We got married from the hotel - getting ready in the suite, having our photos in the lobby, on the beach and in the grounds of both the Burj & Jumeirah beach was all just fantastic - although security is a little OTT!!

We had a wonderful stay here, and are dying to go back for a longer stay. It's the most amazing place."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005

Spectacular and Special

Good

"I have just returned from what in my opinion is the best hotel in the world!
I travelled with my wife and 2 year old son and we had a magnificent time.
All the reviews I read prior to travel somewhat prepared me for the Burj but my expectations were exceeded!

I've been fortunate to have stayed in some beautiful hotels around the world. The Burj beats them all! I have stayed in the Honeymoon suite at the Renaissance Ilikai on Waikkiki beach Hawaii, Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch in Phoenix, Arizona, the Sugar Beach resort in Mauritius, the Don Cesar in St. Petersburg, Florida and in the Presidential Suite at the Registry resort, Naples Florida but nothing can compare to the Club Suite at the Burj al Arab that I have just enjoyed!

What makes a class hotel? It helps if it has a monumental design, good facilities, clean, restaurant etc but I think that the most important thing for any holiday maker is SERVICE.

This is where the Burj excells. Anything from cold towels and ice water by the pool to providing my son with beach toys and a football when we visited the beach. NOTHING was too much trouble and the most satisfying thing about it was that the staff members, and I mean ALL of them, see making guests as comfortable as possible as their goal and not only in the hope of a large tip!

After leaving the beach (The Burj's private section of beach) I spoke with who I presume was the manager of the beach staff and expressed that after having such a lovely meal there and them making a particular effort to ensure that my son was fully occupied and comfortable that I'd like to tip the particular member of staff who had been looking after us. His reply was simple and polite...." Sir, we just want all of our guests to be happy. We do NOT want a tip because we know that you'll visit us again if we treat you right whilst you are here! We just want you to be happy with our service!!!!"

I can imagine that some people may be slightly uncomfortable having their own butler and other hotel staff generally falling over to make sure that they are totally satisfied with any aspect during their stay. I, for one, absolutely love that kind of treatment and I'll be going back to the Burj as soon as possible. 7 star luxury, excellent service and polite, helpful, friendly hotel staff. The Burj is THE place where all this is guaranteed."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of April 2005

You will be amazed at this place!!

"If you can afford it, book it, it is an amazing out of this world experience. I stayed there for the first three nights on my honeymoon enroute to Mauritius and I can't stop thinking about the place I am desperate to go back. I spent one day round the pool, pure relaxation and pampering, and two full days at Wild Wadi Water Park, which was unbelievable and I can't wait to go back. We did get an afternoon at the Burj Al Arab's beach, which was the nicest beach, cleanest, beach I have been to (and I have travelled extensively), the sea is so warm it is like a bathtub and there is a lifeguard in a canoe out in the sea as well as one on a tower. You feel extremely looked after and catered for for every single second of your holiday but left in peace when needed. I loved it."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

Words cannot describe how fantastic this hotel is!

"Every experience at this hotel is 7*. Check in is very swift and we were allowed in our room at 7.30am. They upgraded us to a Panoramic suite, wow, and wished me Happy Birthday as it was that day. I also received flowers, cake, wine and card from the manager. The room is unbelievable and massive on two floors - glass windows from floor to ceiling on both walls. Remote control blinds. Great view over looking Jumeriah Beach hotel. 24 hour butler. Full size Hermes toiletries. Laptop and internet. Plasma tv with DVD player. Fresh fruit is plentiful. We also ate in the roof top restaurant which was good and not as expensive as expected. Great views. Wild Wadi water park is a must! Best there is as you don't have to walk up any stairs. You float around in a rubber ring and you get rushed UP water shoots to the top of rides. Very exhilterating ... ladies hang on to your bikini bottoms. You don't need to take any money as you can credit wrist bands and it's charged to your room. Going back Sept 2005 - can't wait. The pool area is very quiet. The pool attendant lays out towels on the bed when you arrive, brings glasses of iced water, wet flannels and lavender spray. Was great but did prefer the pool at Jumeriah Beach hotel as livlier or the water park ... but what a life."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of April 2005

The best birthday hotel stay ever! 27 June 2011

"Once in a lifetime stay at the wolrd's most luxourious hotel. Amazing suite, butler service, restaurants, shopping, beach, pool and surroundings. Fully recommend to do it at least once in a lifetime. Beats any top 5 star hotel in the world. Sheer opulence and a real treat if you like to pamper yourself. Also Hermes products to take away......just do it even if it is for just one night!!!!!!!!!!! "

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2012

stunning

"This hotel is absolutely amazing,
I have stayed there now five times- and each time has been perfect.

• Travel date: Thu 8th of January 2009

Hotels near Burj Al Arab Jumeirah

Stayed at Burj Al Arab Jumeirah? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Burj Al Arab Jumeirah

• Sukhi gill, herts. U.k. by Sukhi gill, herts. U.k.

"Use the jacuzzi in the bathroom after the butler has set it up for you "

• cbell by cbell

"The shopping malls are brilliant, the food is.- EVERYTHING IS PERFECT "

Burj Al Arab Jumeirah is also called