close, but no cigar

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Appartment size good, but poor soundproofing so traffic noise was an issue and I was on the 8th floor. Servcie weak:
examples include paying for a late check out, then getting to my room with some very heavy bags to find my key no longer worked so had to do all the way downstairs again, my laundry not getting returned for 2 days till I chased it up as I was checking out {and they dont do laundry on Fridays} and the fact that this hotel is "dry" i.e. no alcohol available at all (and dont forget being the middle east you cant just pop out and buy some to take back to your room). Food ordered at pool took 30 mins to arrive and when I wanted them to look after my luggage after I had checked out they wanted to charge me dhs 20 per bag for the priveledge, but here their incompetance worked in my favour as they forgot to charge me!

All in all an ok place to stay, good location, but expect 3 star service and you wont be dissapointed."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of November 2007

Good location Great on space

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for 1 week with 2 children under 5.
The first place I check in a hotel is the bathroom hence the picture and both were in excellent condition. We were upgraded to a 3 bedroom apartment and that was just excellent. The kids ran around the apartment as it was really SPACIOUS. There were kiddies channel in English so that helped.
The kitchen and washing machine came in really handy with two toddlers. We tried the restaurant on our first morning but the decor put us off so we left. We ordered breakfast in the room but when it arrived it was cold so we had to heat it up. Ended up eating out and quick meals for breakfast rest of our stay. It was convinient for going downtown towards bur dubai and the city centre mall and in the other directions towards the wild wadi and the mall of the emirates. Gettin a taxi was easy but beware of the traffic. You've got to ask for best times to go up or down town. The staff were helpful and courteous. Had problems with the internet access and this was removed from our bill.
Overall if you've got kids you need this space."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of October 2007

we enjoyed our stay

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"the 3 bed apartment was a good size for a holiday and our 4 kids loved it- the bathrooms were a bit too small though.
so was the master bedroom.
having so many kids means you need to do loads of washing and the separate washing machine and dryer made life a lot easier.
The kitchen utensils were below standard with pots and frying pans having lost their non stick bases ages ago; the staff were not prepared to replace them so we ate out and bought lots of take aways - the kids loved the fact that we were bang in the middle of pizza hut, mcdonalds etc.

the pool was nice with a good ambience.
My kids complained about the lack of good cable channels - yes, tv was poor- and the tv's themselves were from the 1980's.
For the money we are asked to pay, they could at least have lcd tv's and subscribe to a better tv network.

nonetheless, it was a nice place to stay(10 days) and explore dubai from and cheaper than taking out a suite at the fairmont - our original plan.
one thing to note is that we are spending july in dubai and making bookings now - the kids insist we go back to chelsea towers, so there you go!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of May 2007

Do not trust advertisements

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We made the reservations through the internet and the only information we had for the hotel was the description of its webiste and some other travel sites. It look impressive and we expected a good value for the money we paid. However, we had a really unpleasant surpise, as the small suites for two persons are only on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors and the noise was terrible. The staff was not really helpful and the services (breakfast, lunch) inlcuding the breakfast quality were less than average. What we got had nothing to do with the information advertised and the requests we made when making the reservation was not at all fulfilled, e.g. we asked for two beds and got one double, we specifically requested a quite room and got the noisiest one etc. There are a number of alternatives in the same area and budget which would be a better option."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

Modern and comfortable

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"The hotel/apartment is perfect for you if you are travelling around Dubai, like we were. It is newly built and very modern. The apartments were a perfect size with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen which had everything you needed including some saucepans and a washing machine, so you don't really need to pack too much. There was also a dining room and a sitting room which had a large T.V. and a DVD Player.

The pool was a reasonable size and again very modern. The disappointing thing about this hotel was the cafe as the food was quite expensive and not very tasty, but having said that there are nice drinks and sheishas which you can enjoy in the evenings. Overall this hotel was very pleasing."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of April 2007

Good facilities, but overall just barely worth the money

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Chelsea Tower with my husband in November 2006 and we cannot say that it was an exceptional experience. It was expensive for what it offered, which is just a well-appointed apartment. The staff were OK and their swimming pool and fitness area on top of the car park are quite good. We ate at the restaurant on one side of the building and it was alright. We particularly enjoyed their water-pipe and their deserts. Now, I would gladly give them a 4/5 rating if they were a little cheaper, but as it is I must say that it was simply average."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of March 2007

Plesant suprise

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"A four star 48 floor/250m high hotel / serviced apartments located in the middle of other skyscrapers close to the forthcoming highest building in the world (Burj Dubai).

Offering mainly aimed to expats etc staying there longer, I was there on combined business/holiday trip lasting for 8 days during Nov’06. Hotel is new, built in 2005. One to three bedroom apartments with fully equipped kitchen. Some rooms have balcony, we had a three bedroom apartment (free upgrade in check-in from one bedroom apartment!) which was probably bigger than our house back home. It had three bathrooms + additional toilet. Nice pool section with 25m pool + additional one for kids. Good, fast service during throughout the stay.

Quite many restaurants & cafes (including the usual Starbucks, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc but also Lebanese, Iranian & Indian places), small supermarkets and a little mall in the neighborhood within walking distance. And it is actually possible to walk to those spots, unlike in some other places in Dubai where you simply need to use a car... Also some high-end restaurants available, e.g. in the nearby Shangri-la hotel.

12 lane highway going just by the hotel, so some amount of traffic noise is always there. Nothing annoying as such though, at least not in our room in the 15th floor facing the highway. Note that this highway is extremely congested many hours a day, so even a small journey with taxi can take a very long time.

All in all really nothing to complain about. It’s not exactly a full five star hotel with extensive pampering etc, but as a four star apartment does its job very well. I would not hesitate to return to this place."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

unhelpful staff

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We booked on the internet, paid by credit card and we live in Abu Dhabi so could forsee no problems. We drove to the hotel in dubai. Staff insisted on our passports as ID, which we didn't have, would NOT accept our photo ID, uae credit cards, nothing at all. Very unhelpful, couldn't careless attitude. Where going to charge us for the room even though it was them that wouldn't let us stay there. Other hotels in dubai did not insist on passports as ID. Spoilt the day."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of June 2006

Upmarket place to stay

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"The Chelsea Tower provides such excellent accommodation, I cant belive it is rated as the 70th best hotel in Dubai!

The apartments are very nicely furnished, the modern fixtures and fittings made it feel like a home from home.

Views from each side of the Tower are fantastic, particularly as you get up to the higher floors. From the front of the building you have clear views of the Burj Al Arab (the 7 star sail hotel), the Jumeriah Beach Hotel, "The World" and the new Burj Dubai (currently under construction.

The pool area is very good. There is always a life guard on duty, who will move towels from sunbeds that dont appear to be used. The pool side is immaculate, very clean. Even the towels match the blue and white theme of the hotels decor. Both the ladies and gents changing rooms have a sauna and steam room which can be used at no extra cost. The gym is very good with up to date equipment and instructors on hand.

Other reviews state that the hotel does not have a fancy lobby. This is correct when compared with large chain hotels. However there is a seating area, reception desk and concierge as you would expect on the ground floor. Also, whilst there are no restaurants located within the hotel, there are a number of bars and restaurants located below the hotel and on the street which runs out front. The "Limelite" bar below will even deliver your food and drinks to you at the poolside!

I would stongly recommend the use of this hotel for business or pleasure."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

Nice surprise

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"The hotel is new, so I think rates are low only temporarily. But in May 2005 we got a 2-bedroom suite for much less than the cost of a 1-bedroom at the Dusit Dubai. The rooms at Chelsea were larger and nicer. It really is an apartment, and there was a full kitchen we could have used.

There is a health club with a nice pool (1/2 olympic length, they say), but there are no amenities such as a fancy lobby, a bar, or nice restaurants. Breakfast is free and is served next door."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of June 2005