Side view

Oasis in the Sun

Reviewed 25th March 2013

"It can't be very old... the rich mahogany, mailes of marble and slate, and the stainless steel are all still sparkling! This hotel with its contemporary design is an oasis by the sea. The staff were smiling, cheery and helpful. My room was on the 2nd floor facing the front over the car park, but I didn't hear a thing. The large bed went perfectly well in the large room, with open plan washroom. The 45 degree heat was kept outside by perfectly balanced air conditioning. There are plenty of restaurants on the basement / ground floor which opens on to a huge terrace with swimming pool, leading to a sandy beach. This was a great stay for me."

• Travel date: 11th June 2010

Fabolous hotel, spacious rooms, exotic decor but average service.

Reviewed 28th March 2013

"First of all, might I say that this is by far one of the finest hotels I've visited in Abu Dhabi. Besides the Emirates Palace, this hotel has little competitors to match. I stayed there a night with a couple of friends and took a spacious room overlooking the creek and the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the valet parkers, and smiles were all around. After walking to the reception, I waited about 10 minutes until I was checked-in. In my opinion, it was quite poor that I had to wait such an extensive length of time (makes people want to go for the Gold Package, as you get to privately check in on the seventh floor). However, the check-in process was quite fast, and I was handed the key cards in no time. I've read other reviews saying that the amount of time it takes for the bags to be placed in your room is far beyond acceptable. However, I left the hotel with a few friends, and upon returning I found my bags neatly stacked in the room along with my suit already hung in the closet. My first impression upon entering the room was magnificent. There were two large cabinets to the left, and a small safe in one of them too. The TV was new, LCD and had quite a large variety of channel, 80+ to be exact. There was a desk with a telephone and various supplies, from pens to sharpeners to erasers to even paperclips. The beds were as comfy as the other reviewers had claimed; I was excited to fall asleep that night. There was even a wireless telephone between the two beds (I had ordered a twin room). The mini-fridge was neatly stacked, and everything was clean. Upon entering the bathroom, there were two sinks and a large mirror. Around, there were all the usual amenities, from a toothbrush to hairdryers and even a scale on the floor. There are privacy glass partitions between the bathroom (which also had a phone), and the shower too. There is also a nice volume switch so you can listen to the television or the radio while taking a shower, bath or simply using the toilet. However, one thing that confused me was "where is the shower?". There was a bathtub in the middle, but no shower to be seen anywhere. I played around with the switches, and found out that the shower was in fact in beside the bathtub (same "room" as the bathtub, if you stay there you'll see what I mean). I liked the idea and thought it was pretty cool. I ordered dinner, and the woman was helpful and assured me that my food would reach within 25 minutes, and it did, 24 minutes to be exact (I just happened to be looking at the time). The food was great, and the service was even better. I tipped my waiter and he was delighted, not even glancing at the tip but simply putting it in his pocket out of courtesy. After I went out and came back at night, my room was quiet, and I had never slept so well in my comfy bed. In the morning, I found a newspaper outside my door. Afterward, I ordered an American Breakfast, which took about 35 minutes to arrive although I was promised 25, but that was alright considering how hungry I was. The pancakes were great, and the bread was slightly over-toasted. One important thing is, they forgot my bacon! I was too tired to call in and request for my bacon to be sent up, but I enjoyed my breakfast nonetheless. After packing up my bags, I headed for the checkout. I had requested for a late checkout and I checked-out at 3. There was no line, and the process was fast and easy. Overall, I give the hotel the stars it deserves. Next time, I'll be sure to stay longer to try out their facilities. For the price I paid, the room was well more than worth it. As many people suggest, go for the gold. You won't regret your stay here."

• Travel date: 8th June 2010

Out of this world

Reviewed 23rd March 2013

"Stayed for two nights courtesy of Laureus sports who were having a big bash there. Everything about this hotel is stunning. We had a room at the back which overlooked the mosque in the distance. Directly outside was the private beach very tranquill, staff looked after our every need and the beach restaurant was superb. The rooms are very spacious and luxurious apart from, as other people have mentioned, the wet room/ bathroom see through glass. Breakfast was the best ever with lots of choice you could even eat outside.Certain foods were cooked to order the rest was hot/cold buffet. Complimentary fruit, water and newspaper delivered to room and also prepared room for the evening eg: covers back, slippers put out. Staff very efficient at cleaning room and even tidied up. The hotel is not close to much so can be a bit quiet but as I say our stay was really out of this world."

• Travel date: 17th May 2010

Go for the Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 24th March 2013

"We used this hotel for some brief R and R between Europe and Australia. We have stayed in many hotels for work and leisure but this would have to be one of the best experiences that we have had-from the welcome drink and refresher towel at check in, to the take away coffees to take back to the room. We spent a little more and stayed in the Gold rooms with great views of the Grand Mosque and creek (river). While the cranes and the building detracted from the view, I suspect you will need to get used to this. The rooms were fantastic (exactly as many reviewers have already stated). The service was excellent and they were extremely friendly, my daughter loved the attention. The buffet was excellent, although not cheap by any standard. The hotel is out of town and hence not too much around it. Taxis are very cheap- approx $10AUD for the thirty minute ride into town- but be aware, they drive very fast and dont adhere to many western road rules. If travelling through Abu Dhabi again- this would be my first choice. There are no other pearls of wisdom that I can impart, except to reaffrim all that has already been said about this hotel in regards to its service, quality of room etc and the overall standard of the facilities."

• Travel date: 10th May 2010

classy hotel

Reviewed 26th March 2013

"Stayed almost a week at Bab Al Bahr and only wished it was longer.Every moment of my stay was wonderful.The rooms are very spacious and the bed has to be the most comfortable i have ever slept in.I absolutely loved the wet room and the way the shower was directly above you.Only fault is the obscure glass door...it isn't obscure enough and can cause embarrassment if sharing with anyone other than your partner! The staff are very attentive and willing to assist you at any time. Every morning as we arrived onto the beach/pool area we were immediately greeted by a member of the pool staff and our chosen beds were made up as soon as we got there,then complimentary bottled water was delivered in an ice bucket and topped up throughout the day.We also had fruit kebabs and delicious smoothies offered throughout the day..absolutely bliss. For lunch we went to the poolside restaurant and can't recommend the food enough,the chef excelled here as every meal i had was exceptional. We also dined at Marco Pierre Whites and Frankie Dettori's restaurants inside the hotel and was blown away with the food and the service. On a few occasions we visited the nightclub Chameleon which oozed class.The cocktails were fabulous and I almost managed to try them all,the candyfloss cocktail being my favourite.,We even tried one that they set fire too but i cant remember the name!They have a female DJ at this club and she was very good.We enjoyed our nights each time we went in. The chocolate gallery is worth a visit too as you can watch the chocolatierre in action and also stay for a speciality coffee as they have a cafe inside. I noticed that another restaurant is almost complete outside and was told that it will be a seafood restaurant due to open shortly.Guess i'll have to go back to try this. The spa isn't finished yet so it will be nice to try this also when i go back as i'm sure this is one hotel i will go back to as the surrounding area with its superb restaurants and fantastic bars is first class. I truly loved this hotel and the staff are a credit to the Fairmont . From the moment we arrived to the moment we left everything about this hotel was faultless."

• Travel date: 14th April 2010

Great service, great views..one of the best, so far

Reviewed 21st March 2013

"We stayed at the Fairmont Bab Al Bahr for 5 days at the end of March 2010 and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff were friendly and accomodating. The check in by Antonius was quick and he managed to give me some information on the local scene. Bell boy Romi too was very helpful every time we wanted to go out to town. The staff are ever smiling and I often noticed the camaraderie among them. Not often do I see other hotel staff exchanging smiles, shaking hands with one another. Their HR Manager have done a great job. The room view was great, with floor to ceiling glass, just as we like it. Except for some construction site near the Grand mosque, it was good view all around. The room was large but I find the sofa in the middle of the room a nuisance (it blocks the way to the bed) but it is also a good place to rest with all the large cushions. At this time of year, the pool water was just right for swimming. The pool attendants laid out the bench with towels for us unlike other hotels where it's pick-up-your-own-towels from the towel kiosk. Complimentary iced bottled water came without being asked. That's a first! They even let us bring the towels up to our room. We walked to the Souk at a nearby hotel where there were many restaurants and handicraft shops. The hotel is about 20minutes drive to the city centre but getting a taxi either way is not a problem. But do bring the hotel card with you (the bell boy gives this to you and writes down the number of the taxi you are boarding in case of complaints)as some taxis don't know where the hotel is because it is only 6 months old. Try to avoid the peak hours as there were road constructions going on when we were there and the trip to town actually took us 40 minutes. Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Fairmont and would certainly stay there again next time."

• Travel date: 3rd April 2010

Great hotel with good facilities that could do better.

Reviewed 19th March 2013

"I stayed with my husband for 2 days in the Fairmont in Abu Dhabi and the hotel is very nicely designed and has some great facilities such as the swimming pool, the restaurants (the food in the Marco Pierre White steakhouse was very good) and the bar. The outside area was very nice and added to the relaxing atmosphere of the hotel. It succeeds in combining both the expectations of a business traveller and leisure traveller. Noteworthy as well is the Gold floor and it's lounge which is very nice designed and provides free breakfast, afternoon tea as well as free pre-dinner drinks and canapes. This is all served by an attentive staff and with a personal service (it doesn't happen every time that they welcome my every time with my name). A shame that all this is over shadowed by a very poor check in and out procedure. When checking in the price was higher then the confirmed rate I had on my reservation, the had problems in understanding that my partner and I didn't need 2 rooms (I had 1 room booked for 2 people) but only one, it took then 5 minutes to actually inform my that they couldn't find a reservation under the name of my partner. Next up was the room type, although clearly booked a king room I was provided with a double queen room, when insisting on a king it took them again 5-10 minutes to find a room (on a non Gold floor) with a king. Another point was the fact that it took almost 1 hour to get my luggage delivered to my room and clearly that is not what you want after a flight. At check out the room rate was still not reflecting the rate I had booked contrary to the guarantee given by the staff that they would honour my reserved rate. It took them 30minutes to sort this out and to be abe to print me my final bill. When I arrived at my taxi, 45 minuted after having asked for my luggage to be collected, there was still no sight of my bags and it was not for another 5 minutes before I could depart."

• Travel date: 27th March 2010

5 Star and so much more

Reviewed 22nd March 2013

"This hotel is well deserving of its star rating. It has to be the most ‘easy on the eye’ hotel I’ve ever stayed in. The décor is so tastefully done you’ll find it hard to leave the hotel lobby! The staff were most obliging and nothing was too much for them; always happy to please. The hotel offers first class restaurant facilities, Marco Pierre White being a must. Also the poolside bar offers an array of tasty snacks all prepared by a first class chef. The rooms are big and tastefully decorated (I stayed I a creek view), although I could have done with some extra wardrobe space but apart from that they were more than aceuqate. …..now for the downside….and it is/was a big downside for me and that’s the bathroom screening….slightly obscured glass separates the shower/wc area from the rest of the room and I found it most uncomfortable. I can honestly say that’s the only issue I have with the hotel and this really needs to be addressed. I will be certainly visiting the hotel again."

• Travel date: 27th March 2010

Great hotel, very friendly staff

Reviewed 27th March 2013

"Never been to hotel before where every single staff member (including outdoor maintenance staff) smiled and said hello. Room was very nice, flatscreen TV, BOSE clock radio, Nespresso machine, monster mini bar, ironing board and iron, desk. Quiet. Big bathroom which included pillow for the tub. Other touches included the Fairmont logo written in the sand in every ashtray (!) but didn't see a single cigarette butt. Hotel restaurants were excellent - much, much better than any usually associated with hotels. The steak at dinner was the best I've had anywhere in the world. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 26th March 2010

Weekend of a lifetime!!!

Reviewed 20th March 2013

"Words cannot express how well we were treated at the Fairmont Gold at Bab al Bahr. The experience from the time of check in (which is on the 7th floor) was amazing. We were checked in by a Mr. Carlo, who is the best at guest relations. They even upgraded us to a suite!! the room was amazing and very spacious, keeping in mind we have a 3yr old daughter and a 4 month old son, who need a lot of space. The amenities in the room were out of this world, and was very well kept. The butlers in the lounge were very polite and helpful. We had dinner at 'Frankies' which lived up to it's 'rep' with the wonderful pizza and pasta, but was a little noisy inside if you have a sleeping child. we were swiftly moved outside, where it was quieter. The breakfast at the lounge was a wonderful experience, and served up very well. the guys went out of their way to make sure my 3 yr old daughter was spoilt to the maximum. We had brunch at 'Elements' and was the best buffet i have seen, keeping in mind i have stayed at practically all the 5 star hotels in UAE. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. the Asian chef was polite enough to make my daughter some 'spice-less noodles' and beef stew. the desert section of this restaurant should win an award for the selection of deserts on offer. We checked out the next day VERY VERY satisfied and will definitely go back again soon. Hats off to the people who made my wife's birthday weekend a weekend to remember for the rest of our lives!"

• Travel date: 23rd March 2010

Stupid Staff Poor Service!

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Been staying at the hotel for 1 night. Asked for a room service food but delivered after ONE HOUR! Terrible. Wish I had stayed at another hotel that time. The internet servide is very poor also. Worthless. Already complaint to front office staff but it seems that it will not be resolved till now! Bob Michigan"

• Travel date: 16th March 2010

superb service and amentities

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Superb service and amenities! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at the hotel who are very well trained and deal with all queries efficiently. The hotel has only just opened ( 4 months ago). and everyhting is extremely well planned and appointed. Our room - a delux double was huge. The bed was extremely confortable - super king. The service to the room was very attentive. Cleaning of a high standard. Fresh fruit platter delivered each evening, Towels replaced by the cleaners in the morning were also renewed at night by the turn down service. We used room service for one evening meal - it was promptly delivered and was of outstanding quality. we spent many days at the poolside. This is very well 'policed' by extremely attentive staff, who are tirelessly vigilant in their efforts to ensure that they anticipate your every need. Free iced water is replenished throughout the day. Complimentary fruit kebabs, frozen smoothie shots and granita were provided. Cold towels were brought round frequently. There were lifeguards on duty to ensure safety. The pool is huge and has a popular in pool bar area. The poolside bar provides hot and cold food all day. we used this on 2 days and the food was excellent. There are 3 main restaurants open at the hotel - more planned. we used Frankies - Italian. prices are reasonable - but it was the first night and we had not realised that there was a 10% tax and a 6% tourism tax to add. So allow for this on all prices in all restaurants in AD. The jewel in the crown is Elements. This is a running buffet giving a selection of european, asian, arabic, indian, japanese food - the choices available changed daily. The fish was always of excellent quality. The desserts are not to be missed. This hotel is conveniently located on the mainland beytween the two bridges into Abu Dhabi. The hotel has a super private beach front, soft pale sand, opposite the mosque - making for very picturesques sunsets. we took the big bus tour of AD well worth the trip. Use the local taxis they are much cheaper than the hotel taxis. Make it clear when ordering a taxi that you want a local one or the hotel will bring in their own. - though petrol is so chaep - no fare is exhorbitant. One downer - we needed to get online to check in for our flight. There is a business centre in the hotel for guests to use. We printed off 2 sheets of A4 and it cost us the equivalent of £10 !!!!"

• Travel date: 21st February 2010

Hotels near Fairmont Bab Al Bahr

Fairmont Bab Al Bahr is also called

• fairmont bab al bahr
  • fairmont abu dhabi
  • fairmont bab al bahr abu dhabi