Rooftop Lounge

Good

Far better second time round

Reviewed 25th March 2013

"I previously stayed at the Park Inn in November 2009 and did not have a pleasant stay. I was therefore invited back by the manager to see if things had improved and stayed again in May 2010. My verdict: far far better. All the little niggles had gone and what I got was an extremely comfortable, very clean, spacious room, great service and good food. They have also changed the map on their website so it accurately depicts where they are located. The pool still stands out as one of the biggest pluses of the Park Inn and sundowners (albeit overlooking a freeway) reclining on the roof were very relaxing. All in all, a good leisure or business choice in Muscat."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2010

good middle class

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"The Park Inn in Muscat is a good middle class hotel. rooms are ok in size, not too big, not too small, good internet connection, everything very efficient, quite good for a business trip. good breakfast, good lunch/dinner buffet when u need. centrally located, easy access from any part of Muscat. big shopping center in walking distance"

• Travel date: 8th June 2010

Good modern hotel

Reviewed 22nd March 2013

"Very nice room with seaview, good amenities, and on the whole friendly staff. However, make sure that you don't get a room too close to the rooftop bar/pool area where there are regular parties and the discobeat is likely to keep you awake! This happened to me for two days, then I complained and was immediately moved so the problem was solved. If they can't move you, it's a nightmare. Excellent business location (al-Khuwair), close to the Ministries, whereas there are a number of restaurants nearby, as well as a hypermarket."

• Travel date: 4th April 2010

Convenient location and good service

Reviewed 24th March 2013

"This was the third hotel in Muscat for me in last three trips there as I was disappointed with the experience of the previous two. So it is a relief to say this time I was lucky to have a fairly new hotel in a nice and convenient location. Positive points: 1) Location is very nice, next to the main road of Muscat and very easy to spot from a distance. One small problem though, it is difficult to understand the approach road to the hotel from the main road. Actually you have to drive through a petrol station to reach the back road which connects the hotel. 2) Hotel is fairly new and both the lobby and the room looked fresh and bright. Interior decoration is nicely done in a contemporary simple style which is pleasing to the eyes. 3) Room was fairly large with a big and clean bathroom which had all the basic necessities though only had shower and not a full bath. Room was clean and the bed was fairly nice. The tea/coffee making facility was a big help and was replenished daily. Internet connection was good on the first day but was slow on the second. 4) Staffs were friendly and helpful. Both check in and out was smooth and fast. Room service was very prompt even when clearing the tray. 5) Availability of taxi in front of the hotel all the time. I left early for the airport but had no problem in getting a taxi. Please note that as they have no meters and if you are new in the city, it will be better if you check with the hotel what should be the fare for the location where you plan to go. 6) Breakfast was nice and had the usual variety. It was not extraordinary but gave me a nice start for the day. Not so positive points: 1) No cupboard in the room, only an open closet with hangers and some few drawers. Maybe it is the “Inn” style, but I felt a lack of privacy. 2) The door lock did not work although the door chain did and I did not bother to complain. 3) One menu card in the room was quite dirty with food stains and should have been noticed by the housekeeping."

• Travel date: 18th February 2010

If you like to get an early night don't stay on Wed or Thurs night

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Stayed for 2 nights at the Park Inn early Feb, my husband was on business and I went along for the ride. The Park Inn is fairly new, it is bright, clean,internet access very good, serves a decent breakfast and the staff are friendly, there isn't a great deal to do at the hotel although there is a nice rooftop pool area which was almost empty for the time I was there. The RBG restaurant wasn't bad, I thought the menu a bit limited but the food we had was fine. That is where the good bit ends, on our first night my husband complained to reception about some very loud banging during the early hours only to be told that we must have our windows open, when informed they weren't, the receptionist simply replied he didn't know what he noise was and that was it . On our second night we were subjected to very loud music ( the thump thump kind) at 00:15 I rang reception and asked to speak to the Duty Manager I was told he wasn't available, when I insisted the receptionist stated that the manager wasn't answering his phone, (probably couldn't hear it because of the loud music) This noise continued until 01:25 then the staff in their wisdom decided to organise the furniture by scraping it across the floor until 02:45. The following morning I made my complaint to the Duty Manager and in all fairness to him he said we would not be charged for the night.When my husband was settling our bill he commented on the disturbance with the music and asked if they receive many complaints about the noise,he was told, yes,the noise did give cause for concern to some guests staying Wed & Thurs nights.We were on the top floor ( 6th) directly under the music but as a previous reviewer said due to the design of the hotel all rooms would be able to hear some level of noise. My husband had a business meeting in Muscat then we had a long 4/5 hr drive back to Dubai, after having very little sleep over the past 2 nights it was not the best journey home."

• Travel date: 14th February 2010

Independent and Group Frankinsence Trail

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Primarily business hotel, new, clean, excellent staff. Good restaurant in RBG attached. Food - excellent. Limited lounge facilities. Good Pool area on roof. Location - still in building site state. Be prepared to take taxis. Taxis outside Hotel were superb - the best we have every encountered worldwide. P Newnum, East Preston, UK"

• Travel date: 27th January 2010

Lovely Hotel for Muscat

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Just back from a 2 nights stay at the park inn. We stayed in the one bed suite on the 6th floor. Just LOVED IT.....It's not often that you can get a room to fit 4 people in and not have to get an extra room. Therefore saved money big time. The bedroom is large with room to spare having a large wardrobe and a great bathroom and large shower. Just loved the rainwater showerhead. In the lounge area there is a sofa bed, glass desk as well as another toilet, washroom with hairdryer. As well there is enough room to put down a blowup bed on the floor as my 2 didn't want to share the bed. There are 2 flat screen TV's so kids and us were happy. We had a problem in out bedroom as we found some glass on the floor...apparently the previous people had smashed the glass desk but they came immediately and all was cleared up. I wouldn't say that it is out of town, having lived in Muscat for sometime, It's more central than a lot of others. no matter where you stay in Muscat you will have to travel to get to places. If you need grocerys it's only a short walk up the hill to the Lu Lu supermarket and there is a McDonalds a short walk the opposite direction. The breakfast was lovely and the staff were so so helpful all the time.Actually we arrived on the Islamic new year so there is no Alcohol served but we were able to order through room service which i thought was pretty good. I'd recommend this place to stay at and would definately stay there again."

• Travel date: 19th December 2009

Nice new hotel

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"After reading the other review I wonder if I stayed at the same hotel. Yes, the hotel is a fair way out but then again Muscat is strung along the coast for many kilometres. The hotel is brand new and the rooms are very nice and a good size. Breakfast buffet selection was excellent and service was good too. There is a building site next door and views in other directions aren't spectacular either. Pool on the roof is lovely although you get a lot of noise from the Sultan Qaboos Road nearby. We ate in the RBG Grill one night which was also very good."

• Travel date: 20th November 2009

Plain awful

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"I usually start a review, no matter how bad the hotel, with the positives but it's hard to find any for the Park Inn. Oh, they have a nice pool area on the roof and, well, that's it. So on to the negatives: 1) The map on the Park Inn Muscat website is plain misrepresentative - we chose this hotel (and paid much more than at comparable hotels) because it looked so close to Muttrah and the old town. Wrong. It's along the road from the airport further away than eg the Treasurebox. 2) The pool area becomes a night club at night. The noise in our (initial) 6th floor room was unbearable. You could still hear bass in the 1st floor room we immediately moved to. 3) We were woken up both days of the weekend, before 9am, by housekeeping. And even when we repeatedly shouted "NO!" he entered our room. 4) If you're not woken up by housekeeping you'll be woken up by the sounds of the construction site the hotel sits on. 5) When we checked in we asked if breakfast was included (couldn't remember having booked months ago) and were told yes. It wasn't, which we learnt after eating it on the first day. After initially agreeing not to charge us they reopened the bill after 12pm to make it look like a lunch booking and tried to charge us for that. 6) We asked on check-in what time check-out was but the receptionist got flustered using the credit card machine (and forgetting to give us back passports+credit card until asked) and also forgot to tell us so we phoned down to front desk on the day of check-out. We were pleasantly surprised to be told 6pm (the only other positive, we thought) but we checked again on our way out at 1pm. We were told, no, it was 12pm and when we spoke to the manageress she essentially refused to believe we had been told this and although denied she was calling us liars there is no other interpretation. 7) The curtain had a squished fly on it that stayed there all weekend and the shower had someone else's contact lens sitting on the wall for the same. The sticky tape on the shower floor to make it less slippy wasn't waterproof and came up the first time I had a shower. 8) The water from the shower was brown when we first ran it and the next morning was cold for the first 5 minutes. 9) Although it's a new hotel (the excuse we were given for all the misinformation - as though lack of pre-training is an excuse) there was orange mould around the shower door and the grouting on the sinks etc looked like the hotel had been there for 20 years. In three words: don't stay there. The only thing to recommend this hotel would have been its location IF the map on the hotel website was vaguely correct. As it is, even that was misinformation."

• Travel date: 15th November 2009

Neat and clean

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"New hotel, neat and clean, a very solid choice in its price category. The location is not particularly appealing, though. Nice roof terrace and pool!"

• Travel date: 30th August 2009