Reasonable choice near Tel Aviv beaches

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"One block inland from the big Tel Aviv beach hotels are a large selection of smaller hotels. Maxim is clean, friendly, reasonably priced, includes free WiFi, free parking, free afternoon cake and beverages. It is close to beaches, shopping, restaurants, and nightlife, but is quiet and comfortable. Our only complaint is that one of two rooms had a very smoky smell."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of July 2009

Super hotel! Tres bon hotel !

Reviewed Fri 1st of March 2013

"In front of the beach and the great sea, this hotel is excellent! Friendly and easy, nice room (I have the 213, very quite), clean, good breakfast with fresh fruits, free wifi in the rooms, etc.

I will come back quite often to Tel Aviv and, guess what, I will come back in this hotel for sure.

Thanks!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

Good Hotel

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"I stayed here for a weekend when I was with Volunteers for Israel. The location was great. The room was small but clean and the tv received quite a variety of channels in different languages. Breakfast was included and cake and coffee was available in the afternoon. The lobby was large and it was a good place in which to socialize. I would consider staying here again."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of November 2008

OK for one night

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2013

"I arrived really early in the morning (around 6) and had to pay half a price of one night to have the room before the official check-in time.

Good: location (really close to the beach, you just have to cross 2 streets), breakfast (nice selection, good taste), free wifi (although the connection stability was not the best), free tea and cake at 17-18 o'clock, possibility to borrow beach towels from the reception.

Neutral: size of the single room was relatively ok, staff was pretty helpful (certainly not rude as stated in several reviews below), price (90 USD/night is OK for Tel Aviv).

Bad: really thin walls (you can hear your neighbours like they were in your room), small ants "attack" if you leave some food out in your room (the hotel should have a warning about it), shabby look of the room, somebody's hair in the shower drain, no "don't disturb" sign available, so the cleaning staff was trying to enter my room several times in the morning. And I was reminded 3 TIMES that check-out is at 12: 1) by phone from the reception 2) by cleaning lady at my door 3) somebody else from the reception at my door."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of October 2008

Rude & Unhelpful

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"Finishing up our two weeks on a budget trip around Israel, my boyfriend and I decided to "splurge" on a full-fledged hotel by the beach in Tel Aviv. I booked the Maxim based on Tripadvisor reviews. How unfortunate, because it was bay far the worst of our five accommodations in Israel (and worse than any of our other five accommodations in Italy), and was by far the most expensive of all ten! The rooms are incredibly shabby and uncomfortable, and the staff is appallingly rude.

The Good: (1) The Maxim Hotel is in a great location, about two blocks from the beach and one block from a major street with tons of chopping and restaurants. (2) The breakfast is more than adequate, with bowls of fresh vegetables, yogurts, and cereals on the buffet bar. There's also toast, hard boiled eggs, juices, and even (really bad) latkes/potato pancakes. None of the food is particularly tasty, but it's fresh and there's a lot to choose from.

The Bad: The room was incredibly shabby and there were stains on our bedding (though they looked like they'd been washed). The AC made a racket and the whole room just looked depressing, faded, and rundown. The mattress was achingly stiff (and we're in our 20's, with no back problems!) I was shocked that they could charge $160/night for such a poorly kept hotel.

The Ugly: Without a doubt, the Maxim's hotel staff is the RUDEST, SURLIEST, and MOST UNHELPFUL staff I've ever encountered in my extensive travels. I have never given a hotel a one-star rating before, but this was just too rude. Every single time we walked into the hotel, the clerk demanded our room number before we could go upstairs. I understand security is important in Israel, but over three days it got quite frustrating. When I went to fetch some cake at the afternoon tea in the lobby, the woman supervising the food got right in my face and demanded my room number. She accosted me like I was some sort of cake thief! We borrowed beach towels from the front desk, and as we walked back into the hotel, clothed only in our swimsuits and towels, the clerk demanded that we return the towels right then and there. He literally forced me to give back my towel and walk through the lobby and up to my room with only my fairly skimpy bikini on. It was humiliating! The last straw was when we asked the clerk to call us a shared cab to the airport. Instead, he called a private cab. When we realized the miscommunication and asked him to cancel the private cab he started screaming at us. Also, the hotel says a private cab to the airport costs 150 shekels ($50) at night. I don't know if they have some sort of racket going with a particular cab company, but we wound up flagging a cab on the street (we were too scared to ask the clerk for any more help) and that cab cost us 110 shekels.

I would never recommend the Maxim to anyone. There are so many nicer hotels right on the beach, there's no reason to subject yourself to this rude, overpriced and uncomfortable hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of September 2008

Good Enough

Reviewed Sat 9th of February 2013

"Hotel Maxim is in the heart of Tel Aviv and a quick walk to the beach. The breakfast is excellent. The wifi works most of the time and there is cable TV and AC in every room.

The downsides are that the rooms are small and in need of a facelift. Most of the staff could be a bit more helpful but their surliness gives one a good taste of Israel right there in your very own hotel. The beach towels are about the size of washcloths which one might get in prison.

But at $80 a night for a single room I will not stay anywhere else in Tel Aviv."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

Unfavorable Experience

Reviewed Wed 6th of February 2013

"This was my second trip to Israel in two years. I stayed at this hotel in 2007 and it was much better then. I returned in August 2008, last week and my experience was poor. First of all I should warn American travelers that as much as you read Americans are put on pedestal, that's incorrect. The desk staff was unfriendly and abrupt. We paid $980.00 for 6 days and on our last day I asked to print out our boarding passes as I did in 2007, and they refused to let me use the printer. I had paid a daily rate of 15 shekels to use the lobby computer (which was very poor to mention) and a small task of printing out such important documents which cost pennies was refused.

The Israeli breakfast buffet was good but lacked fresh fruit as in the previous year. The hotel is located across from the beach which is nice but the traffic is loud and to cross the street one has to be very careful not to get hit by fast speeding cars and motor scooters. There is no room service to speak of outside of crackers and maybe a beer or wine. The rooms are very small and the bathtubs lack an area for soap and are curved so be careful not to slip.

The cleaning staff is very good but most don't speak English. I tipped them daily and they were very happy to receive my tips. The manager is "all business" so don't expect any small favors.

If you get a room, I suggest you get one on the top flor, 5th floor on the back side of the building as the front side although it faces the beach is noisy 24/7, especially on Thursday evenings when the youngsters go out on the town. I am 50 for reference. There are many young europeans staying there as well who come and go all hours of the night. Another note to mention is that if you are a single man, you have a paradise of many young attractive Israeli women who were some of the most beautiful women I have seen in my life. However, they usually stick with their own kind so pairing up will be a challenge.

There are a few restaurants next door which are worth mentioning. Miguels is excellent but a bit costly but I would recommend it.

There are tons of restaurants in Tel Aviv. The ones we thought were outstanding were the Olive, Battia Cafe (authentic european and old world-style food, only place I could find matzah ball soup by the way) Be careful of the convenience stores on the beach, they charge more for water which you'll need to buy in quantities. Jaffa to the south is a great place to shop in the flea markets. Be prepared for a bargain session with merchants who will push you to the limit to buy anything.

I wish I could end this with a favorable rating for the Maxim but it has gone downhill and I would recommend the Prima Astor down the street for a bit more price but the staff there was outstanding and the hotel is much nicer. The cab drivers are the most experienced drivers I have ever seen, masters of the street.

There are many other hotels to choose from so you have a good variety"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008

Very Good location, basic room

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2013

"The Maxim is located across from the beach and near Ben Yehudah Street. It's a very basic hotel, small room, the breakfast is OK. The hotel next door, the Luskey looked nicer. The cleaning staff was good, we came back to a clean room after a day of sightseeing. If you're looking for more comfort and luxury, this is not the place. It's a good value."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008

Great Location & Value

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Small basic rooms, but great location for the money - directly across the street from the beach. Airy lobby. Friendly, accommodating staff and a decent breakfast. I like to stay here for a night to sleep off the jet lag after the 14.5 hour flight from Los Angeles, before moving on to Jerusalem or other sights. At the end of our trip they also rented my small group a "day room" for about 1/2 price and filled it full of towels so we could shower and change before our midnight flight home."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of August 2008

Unbeatable value (I know that's a cliche but it's a genuinely said)

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"I'm giving this a 5 star rating. Not because it was the most beautiful place I've ever stayed in, but overall it was the best deal I've had for a long time. There's nothing to rave about in terms of decour inside the hotel itself. You get the impression it's been around for a while but it was sufficiently clean. There's certainly no bling. BUT it was still a 5 star experience for me. It was a 5 minute walk away from a nice beach (with plenty of space and lots of sunshine), you can also view the beach from the hotel (which is a good prompt to get you up and out). Another good thing for me was that the hotel had wireless internet capabilities on tap. Just turn on your laptop and within seconds I was online at no extra cost. That's probably worth an extra £15 a night at least as other hotels have you buy a scratch card like the Sheritan Moriah which I stayed at last year. That was a more expensive four star but I preferred the Maxim. There was no fuss or stuffiness at the Maxim. The staff are relaxed yet proficient and courteous as well as informative. It's ideal if you're travelling solo. The taxi fare 120 Shekels or 150 Shekels at night/early morning. The air conditioning worked okay as did everything else in the room. No mini fridge, but shops nearby. The photos may or may not give a better picture. Never mind that the lifts are small; they get you up and down just fine. If you're sensible and down to earth and value your money this is the place. If you're a bit of a self-important, look at me, aren't I great type of person, this hotel might not tickle your fancy."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of July 2008

Loved The Maxim

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"What a way for a single girl to feel at home in Tel Aviv. A wonderful small 5 storey hotel on the beach front with lovely beach & sea views.(& what a beach!) Very conveniently located with everything within walking distance & maybe 30NIS cab fare from the bus/train station. A 120NIS cab fare from Ben Gurion airport(on Saturday with no traffic)
The breakfast fantastic.Many restaurants & beachside cafes.
The staff very friendly & helpful.
The coffee & cake 5-6pm just a lovely thing after a big day.
The reception is like a lovely lounge room.I loved the furniture & decor.
The novel idea of classical radio stations,from around the globe, a different one everyday in the reception I found welcoming.
Great laundry service.
Reception open 24hrs.
Free Tel Aviv maps available,ask.
I loved it can't you tell & didn't break the bank1"

• Travel date: Fri 14th of March 2008

Okay, with lots of problems

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"We came here late at night and we were dying to get cleaned up. We were given our key and headed to our room in the extremely cramped elevator. My fiance and I could just barely fit into the elevator with our two suitcases. We got up to our room and it looked decent. I took a nice shower and was pleased. My fiance shaved and discovered a puddle on the floor. It turned out that the pipe for the sink was not connected to the wall and when he was shaving he had created a mini lake. We called the front desk to complain and either get a new room or a repair. We were told no rooms are available and then we told them that we needed someone up there immediately. The person, who I believe was the manager, came up and said he could not fix it that night and proceeded to spend a long time looking to get us a new room. We ended up with a new room that reaked of smoke. We were not thrilled but we wanted to get out and so we accepted the room. The front desk was not that helpful. I was a bit sick and needed a pharmacy but the front desk could not help direct to me to one. We were here in the winter, but the location was still nice. We were able to walk to most places and it was right by the beach. I would imagine this location would be even more valuable in the summer! The breakfast was very good and comprised of different salads, cheeses, bread, hard boiled eggs, fruit, and I even saw them making eggs for different guests. Our original room also was not clean. The bathroom was very dirty! I was told that the new room was clean, but whoever had stayed their previously had left their used soap unwrapped and we never received replacements. All in all this place was okay, and I do not think that I would come back."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of January 2008