Orchid Hotel Tel Aviv

Good
1915 reviews

Overpriced and dirty

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"Despite all the bad reviews (and the managers explanations and excuses) on Tripadvisor I booked The Park Plaza Hotel in Tel Aviv as it was affordable. What a misstake. .... I would have been much better off paying a little bit more and staying in a nicer hotel. Booked a "superior room with sea view" on line before departure. At check in we got a small room facing the american embassy and not the sea?! After a while we got a room with a partial sea view but it was far from superior. Small room with dirty walls with lots of marks on them, clear signs of a waterdamage from a higher floor on one wall, dirty bathroom etc. What makes a room like this surperior???? The bed was OK and the TV worked fine but that was about it. Most surprising was the house keeping service. On day they came to clean the room just before 5.30 pm? A time when many guests are getting ready for going out and a little too late to ask the guest to leave the room again. And the corridors..... Why couldn't someone from housekeeping hoover the corridors at least every second day. They were full of dust and sand and during our 4 night stay they were not hoovered once. We had to check out if our floor was an exemption so took the lift down to see other corridors... the same all over the hotel. Breakfast was overpriced at 20 USD pp. and over crowded. In summery the hotel could be a fine hotel if the management got a grip of the situation and if the maintanence and housekeeping was on the ball but unfortunately they aren't."

• Travel date: 18th September 2009

All Fur-Coat and no Knickers!

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"The Internet images of this hotel are wonderful. I thought 'Great! This looks like an amazing hotel'. Never judge a hotel by its Internet site! It has all the things that you would want from an international hotel, however, it doesn't mesure up. It's dirty in places, like corridors and the stairwells. It's in much need of a 'make-over'. It was once beautiful but now it's old an haggered. It's trying to be something that it is not, hence the title of this review 'All Fur-Coat an dno Knickers'. In my 30+ years of travelling and staying in hotels I have never, never come back to my room to find the room uncleaned, bathroom, as I left it and bed unmade. Here at the Park Plazza, this has happened 4 times now and I've a week to go. I have to ask each morning when I leave for work to ensure that the room is made up. Despite asking this morning, I've come back to another un-made up room. The staff just don't know how to behave in an 'International' hotel. They talk to each other and giggle whilst you are waiting to ask them something. The breakfast area is not really managed and hence you run out of cereal bowls and other items. You have to ask themm for things that should be there. If they were doing their job instead of gossiping they would be on top of things. The place is a joke. The only thing going for it is the location. Right on the beach and close to plenty of restaurants (whatever you do, don't bother with the restaurant, unless you are desperate). Why didn't I check out on day 2 or 3 I hear you ask? Because I'm a guest of the company who I am working for and they are paying the bills and would be offended if I moved out. Try the Isrotel Tower or Best Western across the street. Or maybe the King David, Sheraton or Hilton just north of this dump. They cannot possibly be any worse."

• Travel date: 12th September 2009

Quite nice with a few flaws

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel with my sister for 3 nights and found it to be quite adequate for the purpose i was there for apart from the following The swimming pool picture in the internet is misleading.When looking at the picture you see a picture of a lovely pool surrounded by sun loungers, the only thing is that on the other side of the pool is a wall, and the white decking you see is flat but in actual fact it is now brown decking with a step to get into the pool. The pool area is quite small and not enough sun umbrellas.Also the duvet on the bed was too small for the size of bed(in a room without a balcony). The air con was good and if ever we had a problem, the housekeeper arrived within 5 mins. The staff were friendly and attentive and the breakfast was fine offering smoked salmon, cheeses,salads, cakes,yogurts, eggs,breads,crackers and hot quiche which was very nice.Unlimited access to the internet was great and all in all it was a pleasant stay although i think for no more than a week.Access to the beach was just across the road which was fine."

• Travel date: 26th August 2009

Great beach location, clean, but basic facilities

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel on a 5 day business trip. It is right on the beach close to bars and restaurants. The Superior Room was clean but basic - the stock in the mini-bar was fairly limited - if you wanted alcohol, cans of Heineken were the only choice. Free Wifi is available throughout the hotel. The greatest thing is that you can be on the beach within 2 minutes, as long as you can cross the road between the beach and the hotel, which is always busy."

• Travel date: 7th August 2009

Pretty good but with some flaws

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I will begin by saying that I always slept very well and the service is very good for Israel's standards. However, there are few small things that I would criticise. Room: Very clean and modern. The most important thing about a hotel room is that it is quiet and comfortable to allow you to sleep - and I didn't have a bad night in two and half weeks. Just a caution: a colleague of mine had a large gap in his window and heard a lot of street noise so I would check this out as soon as you enter your room to make sure it's OK. Service: I lived in Israel for more than a year before staying here so I can speak with some experience that their service is very good compared to other hotels and restaurants. It seems as though the staff have had some international training and it shows. I only have one small complaint: a front desk person told me that the gym was open for business but after getting changed and 'pumped up'... it was closed. A silly error. Restauraunt: I ate breakfast every morning and it was very good with a selection of yoghurts, cereals and salads. There is no English-style food like sausages, baked beans and certainly not bacon but you obviously won't find that anywhere in Israel. Bar: We had some late-night drinks on the balcony bar but for some reason the bill was in USD. There wasn't even a total printed in ILS. I'm not sure how they can get away with this practice so if you have a drink, expect to be ripped off. I see other reviewers complaining about the internet. It's a bit of a raffle: forget about using it during peak hour (it's slow to the point that it's near-useless) but it is quite fast during non-peak times. I have one last criticism: they have a tacky, A4-sized printed page on their front lobby door stating, 'Our foreign exchange is without commission'. It is just completely unprofessional; is this a hotel or a forex dealer? Even if you wanted to change your money, you would be much better off taking a limousine down to the forex dealers in Jaffa (near the Clocktower) and you would still be better off. All of those criticisms aside, I cannot forget that I slept soundly every night and the service is very good. I doubt you will get a better 4 star deal in Tel Aviv and I would stay here again."

• Travel date: 1st July 2009

Probably the best value in TLV

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"We already stayed 6 times in the Orchid Park Plaza since the last 3 years. The Hotel offers surely the best value for money in Tel Aviv, right in front of the sea-side in the middle of the promenade. The lobby and many of the rooms have a GREAT view !!! The new owners and management try to improve the quality since 3 years, you have free access to the outside pool area (which is newly furnished and renovated in wood), a cheep parking in the hotel, free access to the big HOLMES-GYM next to the building with spa, wireless internet all over in the hotel, several computers for free use... If you like you even can rent bikes for free ( which is quite dangerous in Tel Aviv !!! ) We especially apreciated the access to the executive-lounge - for guest in business-rooms. They seem to have quite different kind of rooms, when we didn't like a room, we asked kindly, and they always found a solution: Don't hesitate to ask if you are not happy with a room - very often it's worth it ! Sure we already had some problems with the housekeeping ( room not cleaned or not cleaned correctly ). When we told them, they always tried to satisfy us. Most of the Staff at the reception is VERY friendly !"

• Travel date: 1st July 2009

Totally unimpressed!!!

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"I was recommended this hotel by our conference and got quite a good rate for the stay. I had looked it up on the internet and was quite impressed by the look of it. However, when I got there I was told our "superior sea view" room was not available as they were being renovated. When we got to our room, it was very clean but very small for 2 people. The bathroom was glass enclosed from the room so there was no privacy from my colleague for using the bathroom. This hotel also did not serve any food or drink on Friday's or Saturday's due to the Sabboth. I thought this very poor as they mostly serve to tourists outside of Israel who are not kosher. Not only could we not find many restaurants open in town, but also could not eat at hotel. They offer a currency exchange but were not willing to give us currency from a card. I ended up going to the Sheraton one block north to get currency exchange service. The staff were actually very rude, unfriendly and unwilling to help when asked. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. Last time I stayed in Tel Aviv, I stayed at a 2 star hotel and had MUCH MUCH MUCH better service."

• Travel date: 22nd June 2009

Probably the best service in Tel Aviv

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"I made my reservation on the spur of the moment i.e. two hours before and they were able to give me a room for two nights at 250USD. Although quite expensive for what I would say is a good hotel but not fantastic, the service I received was far superior to any hotel I have stayed at in Israel. The renovations are almost finished and the room I had was newly renovated. Although it was a small double room, it was clean and had plenty of space on the desk for my computer. The bonus at this hotel was the 24 hour business centrem and the free wireless internet which has a good connection in the rooms. There is no fridge just an automatic mini-bar which was a bit of a let down. I like to store my own food and they make have rooms to accommodate this but I did not ask. The breakfast is not complimentry but worth the money. It is a buffet breakfast which has everything from Israeli salads to western continental breakys. The room service is good too and the tuna salad's wonderful. Although, if you travel down on to Ben Yehuda you can get a better deal at one of the cafes. The pool is apprx. 15m and although not a 50m lap pool, is adequate for a relaxing swim. In addition, you are given a complimentry guest pass to the gym next door which is by far worth it - very modern, spacious and has everything from cardio, weights and classes. Transportation - there is no parking but a taxi rank is right outside. Buses of course and bikes for guests are available (bikes are free of charge). The airconditioner is self-adjustable or you can turn it off and the window opens right up. I had a great view of the sea and city. All in all, it wasn't too noisy and quite a pleasant stay. I would stay here again but would check out other hotels for price. P.S. I was able to check out at 2PM and if I wanted later check out a charge of a half day would be applied. I decided to leave my bags with security and roam around until my flight. You can also make use of the business centre and bar/cafe."

• Travel date: 9th June 2009

Improved, but still not good.

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"I have stayed at the Park Plaza a number of times over the past 18 months. My first stay in January 2008 made me dread ever returning. At that time the service was terrible, the rooms were extremely old and the in-house dining almost non-existent. Things have improved, and depending on the room you get now you may find yourself in a renovated room, but even still they are below average for 3* hotel. The service in general is above average for Israel (still got a long way to go to meet standards of most 1st world countries). The in-house dining is still virtually non-existent and the breakfast, while appealing to my Turkish colleague is not in line with western standards. On this stay I had need to use the Wireless Internet, while impressed that this service is there, the speed of the connection almost made me give up. To sum up my feelings on this place.. I'd prefer to stay elsewhere."

• Travel date: 6th May 2009

Nice experience

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"I stayed for one week here in January. I found the staff very friendly. They have one staff that spoke french. Others can speak very good English. If you get a room with sea view it means "45 degrees" view. Try to get a room on the side that has balconies. Its great to have your breakfast there and viewing the sea. The rooms were clean, save and comfortable. The elevators were a bit slow but it doesn't matter really. There's a taxi stand just in front of the hotel. My room rate included access to the fitness center (haven't tried it) and to use a bike. Riding down the sea side in the evening or morning with a hotel bike was really great. I had a friend visiting me at the hotel and they allowed him to have a bike too (no extra charge) which we used to ride down to Old Jaffa. The internet in the hotel is by Wifi and free. They have a small swimming pool but I didn't try it. If I come to Tel Aviv again I will try to get this hotel again."

• Travel date: 14th March 2009