Travelodge Swansea Central Hotel

• paid wifi
  • paid internet

OK for sale price

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"We booked a one night stay when travelodge had a sale, think we paid £19 for the night. The idea was to use it as a base for visiting the Gower. We had a family room at the front of the hotel, the room was clean but on arrival I noted there was no bedding for the boys, mentioned it to reception and they promised to send some up that evening, sure enough, a duvet and sheet were waiting for us when we returned to our room( we already had 1 pillow ! ), but we have 2 boys and the sofa bed is split level - so back down to reception and they sent someone up with another duvet & sheet, but no pillow, couldn't be bothered going back down to reception so youngest son manged without a pillow. We didn't do much sleeping anyway, as when we returned to our room from the cinema ( 2 mins walk away ) the pub opposite was treating half the city to the latest club music, I had read warnings of this, but being a Sunday night, I assumed it would quiten down before too long. it was 1am before the noise stopped, the music we could just about cope with, but the shouting and foul language from the patrons hanging around outside the pub made sleep impossible. I'm so glad I never paid full price for the room, sale price is more than enough for a room at the front."

• Travel date: 28th July 2009

Chewing gum horror!

Reviewed 22nd February 2013

"We wanted to extend our 4 night break in south wales so moved onto swansea and to this travelodge. Contrary to their constant promotional adverts, we couldnt get a £19 room, it cost us £50 for the night. We arrived at the hotel after a long drive. My first thought was to make a cup of tea for us both (we are English after all!) I picked up the cups from the hospitality tray and horror of horrors, there was a large wad of chewed up chewing gum in one of the cups! The other cup also had a large crack in it. I dashed down to reception and asked them if that was the standard of cleanliness that we could expect from the hotel? They apologised and gave us fresh cups. I was told that no-one had stayed in the room for a couple of days and he had asked the cleaner to check all was ok but she must have missed it. He apologised again. Later that night we retired to our room but we didnt get any sleep until 3 a.m when the disco/pub bar right opposite stopped playing the seriously, seriously loud, thumping dance music. I mentioned it in the morning and was told that they couldnt do anything about it. I realise that they cant control external noise, however, we had booked a family room for extra space and I feel sorry for the next family that gets that racket! I said that they should have advised us about the possibility of loud music then we could have made a decision about what to do. We were very tired but had a 4 hour drive home."

• Travel date: 22nd May 2009

Disgusted

Reviewed 12th February 2013

"I had the misfortune to stay at the Swansea Central "hotel" on Wednesday and found the rooms and service fell far below any standard of hotel I have been in before. Room 107 was allocated to us and this was meant to be on a twin room basis. When we got into the room we found that it was only half painted with large areas of wall that were still the previous colour as if someone had removed a unit and not painted behind it. The twin was a pull out bed (as expected) but it had not been made up. When I pulled out the bed I found large crumbs and crisps on the mattress. When I complained we were moved to room 104 and were told this was a family room. When we got into the room it was exactly the same except this one had been painted. No twin bed made up etc. When I again complained I was told it is not company policy to make up the twin bed and that this was my job. I had to use the bedding provided to make up the bed. I find this totally unacceptable. If they accept a twin room booking they should provide a twin room that is made up for that purpose. I returned to the room to find no extra bedding. So yet again I attended reception (no phones in rooms) and complained. There i was met with long sighs and cynical looks. The staff eventually attended and provided the linen. I made the bed up after again cleaning the mattress off and moving the sofa (which on inspection was broken) The room had felt pen splattered on the walls and furniture. I must say I know I got a good price for the room but after finding the rooms and staff like this I will be paying a few pounds more and getting a hotel that actually values their customers and does not treat them like cattle. The car park is a 5 minute walk but costs £7.50 for 24 hours which makes the cheap room not so cheap. Overall a trip never to be done again."

• Travel date: 20th March 2009

Value for Money

Reviewed 5th February 2013

"I had not used a Travelodge since the chain was featured on BBC "Watchdog" (for overbooking if I remember correctly) but this one was cheap (£29) and centrally situated about 10 minutes from the station. The receptionist was helpful and pleasant and I had no problems checking in. The hotel was not as well appointed as a Holiday Inn Express (although it was much cheaper) but it was clean and reasonably well appointed. It was also quiet. There are few frills but you would not expect many for the price and there were tea and coffee making facilities. The room was quite big and there was a bath (more a tub actually) as well as a shower - and proper (i.e. not liquid) soap. Breakfast on Saturdays is not served on Saturdays until 08.00 and I cannot comment on it as I had an early train to catch. There are plenty early cafes near the station. I was a bit dismayed the previous evening to find that the bar had no draught beer left - how is this possible? But there is a pub directly opposite if you like noisy music or turn left leaving the hotel and there is another slightly less noisy pub two minutes away.. All in all it was a good stay and certainly value for money. However, I see from a recent review that they seem to be still overbooking and this makes me wary of using them."

• Travel date: 29th November 2008

Fantastic stay

Reviewed 6th February 2013

"The hotel is great for the price that you pay, the rooms were large and bright and everything worked fine. Staff at reception were very friendly, they even booked a taxi for us. The hotel is very well situated with the main shops and clubs nearby but you do not hear any of it in the nights. Be aware when you park as there are two multistory car parks by the hotel the NCP car park was £4.80 for 24 hours and it is next to the VUE cinema just around the corner, a little out of view. The other car park is right next to the hotel but it was very expensive, it was a good job that we checked with the receptionist at the hotel so make sure that you go to the NCP car park. We didn't try the hotels cafe but the menu looked great, there are loads of restaurants just around the corner, ( china china, Frankie and Benny's, nandos etc) All in all a fantastic stay even though it was only one night i would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 8th November 2008

Travel bodge

Reviewed 4th February 2013

"Booked specifically to stay at this hotel as it was central swansea at a fair price. When we checked in at 1am which we were told on the telephone was ok, we were told there were no rooms and we had to go to travelodge Penllergaer, 8MILES away by taxi. Apparently this overbook policy is in the small print, beware! It spoilt what had been a great day in Swansea."

• Travel date: 17th October 2008

Great value and central location

Reviewed 3rd February 2013

"This Travelodge is fairly new and very smart, particularly considering the budget price we paid (£29). Rooms are particularly spacious and the hotel is very well located for all of Swansea shops and nightlife. There are a number of places for breakfast nearby, which offer better choice and value than the hotel. Secure NCP parking across the road."

• Travel date: 21st September 2008

Bargainoom

Reviewed 9th January 2013

"Usual Travelodge fair- basic and functional- but ticks all of my boxes, namely a great city center location close to pubs, restaurants, cinema, casino etc, and also got the room for £19 through one of Travelodges' many promotional offers. Also car parking close by was only about £4. Room was clean, quiet, comfortable and bland. Highly reccomended for a cheap place to crash in a good central location."

• Travel date: 9th January 2008

Travelodge Light - Very basic

Reviewed 18th January 2013

"Located close to Wind Street, this is ideal for the centre of Swansea and the nightlife. There is no car park - but there is an NCP just across the road which cost around £5 overnight. The rooms are functional, small - and about as sparse as is possible. There's a bed, telly and kettle - little else. Rather than a curtain, there's a cheap, white blind which rolls from ceiling to floor. The bathroom is equally spartan with the smallest bath I've seen in a hotel. These comments are a comparison to other Travelodge hotels. I've never seen one as bare and ininviting as this. There were three notices in the room that I've never seen in any other hotel. Each one is a stern warning that vandalism, unacceptable behaviour etc.. will not be tolerated. This caused a little alarm as to what their normal customers must be like. The lounge on the ground floor is pleasant enough though there are plenty of better places yards away. While sitting having a drink, there were a few late arrivals checking in. These were couples without any luggage who looked like they'd just met in one of the local bars. Make of that what you will - but coupled with the warnings in the room, it made the hotel feel seedy (despite being new and spotlessly clean). Internet access costs £5 / hour - which is ridiculous. As a place to crash after a night out on the town, this is perfectly clean an servicable. It has no soul and is functional only as a place to sleep, wash and leave. If you can get a cheap £15 saver, this would be a bargain. The usual rate is near £60 / night. Considering the basic feel and lack of all but the very essentials - this is not good value for money. Local recommendation: Hanson at the Chelsea [--] is a good restaurant. The No Sign Wine Bar on Wind Street is a good place for a drink."

• Travel date: 8th November 2007

Great location, bit noisy

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"The great thing about this hotel is it is located in the centre of Swansea which means the shops, bars and restaurant are all within a few minutes walk. The rooms are clean and tidy and the hotel is a relatively new build so everything appears modern and clean. The staff were helpful and friendly. However the rooms are standard Travelodge fare, clean but very, very basic.You get a good bed and a decent shower/bathroom but that's about it! The TV had no SKY and there is only 1 small bar of soap provided. The great central location of the hotel is also a negative depending on why your stopping there. There is a lot of noise from the road and many people who have been enjoying the nightlife will be coming past - try to get on the back of the hotel if you can. If your looking for a cheap clean hotel to enjoy a night out in Swansea this Travelodge will be just what you need. However if your looking for a more luxurious establishment and hoping for an early, peaceful nights sleep it may not be the best choice."

• Travel date: 9th October 2007

Central but noisy

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"A nice , clean modern build hotel in the centre giving access to The Mumbles and Gower beaches as well as centre shopping. Problems were 1. VERY loud pub music opposite until 12.30 am !!. Double glazing next to useless due to proximity and volume 2. Due to non smoking regs smokers appear to be using the entrance steps which were covered with cigarette ends . This on first impressions gives the appearance of being scruffy. Inside however very clean and tidy with polite staff. Food expensive so not used."

• Travel date: 17th August 2007

Lovely rooms with free 'sounds of the nightlife'

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Stayed there on a recent holiday... we've always preferred quiet B&B's in villages of Wales but we wanted to check out the hotel because it fit well into our itinerary. We were happy to note that the hotel was only a few weeks old... so everything was pretty new. Enjoyed everything until we realised that the hotel is next to the loudest place on Earth, so we had the 'pleasure' of live music from across the road, drunk hooligan rantings and the OST of 'Hen nights live' until we were too sleepy to 'enjoy' it any longer. At £7.50, it was an expensive tab for a 'breakfast from hell for a orthodox veggie'... I'm sure it was very filling for others but we felt not so thrilled with the tab for just fruit, cereal & toast!. All the staff are very friendly and we are happy that they are.. but we are surely not happy enough to go back!"

• Travel date: 21st July 2007